Pass D

Elemas

Reaction score
What are you guys thinking? I agree with letting Shaq walk. I liked him as a Hawk but 13.3M a year was steep.

I like our safety core. Would love to see JA pick up on coverage but let’s be honest, he’s a blitzing machine. I’m fine with that. I know people don’t like what we dealt for him. It’s not personal but rather position depth and impact related. Idk...he brings intangibles that you just can’t teach. I’m still happy we made the trade and look forward to a healthy Adams this year. I feel like he’s by far our best defensive player (even with the coverage concerns).

My main concern is with corner. Flowers HAS to step up. Oddly enough, I felt like there were times where he played tighter than Shaq but then there were times where you see him lining up 7-8 yards or more off the line. A lot of these plays were obviously (as close as obvious gets in the NFL) runs or screens. Head scratcher for sure.

Last thing...I expect big things out of Blair. He was coming along just fine until that KJ incident.

We have A LOT of needs but I wouldn’t be surprised to see us going for a CB on our first pick.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Once they tightened up their severe communication issues, they played fairly well. Shaquill had an amazing second season as CB1, but his play dipped this past year a bit.

Reed and Witherspoon wouldn't be a terrible duo, assuming Reed continues to play well and Witherspoon plays near baseline league average. Flowers is totally fine as a 3rd outside corner. Blair and Amadi figure to continue being promising as they handle slot duty and move around, and the safety tandem is one of the premier duos in the league.

Corner could be improved, but they're not a glaring weakness with the addition of Ahkello.

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
Could’ve edited but...one more thing. Does Sherm have more in the tank. Would he be willing to come back? The experience alone would be valuable to our guys.

I’m not sold on Witherspoon. Then there’s Dunbar. After last year, I’d think we have a good shot a resigning but, you never know. Would we even want to? He was good in Washington but, we never saw any of that due to an injury riddled season.

Edit...left out Reed. He was definitely a ballhawk. I do project him being our 1.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The signing I want to see over the weekend is Dunlap coming back for 13-14M per year on a two year deal.

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3u8kqm69 said:
The signing I want to see over the weekend is Dunlap coming back for 13-14M per year on a two year deal.

Agree with this.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ftv18uo said:

Amen. Defense didnt become adequate until he was signed.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Coverage isnt the issue with Adam's. He is consistently tight coverage and in the right place. Would have had like 5 pics this year except dropsies. Only thing he lacks is hands.

hinton

Reaction score
Agree with those who want Dunlap back, if we can re-sign both him and Mayowa and maybe add another FA CB as depth we could be a top half D.

Blair and Taylor should be coming back next year which will feel like new signings, plus Brooks getting more playing time. I think Adams will be find in coverage too when he has two working shoulders to play with.

I'd like to see Bruce Irvin back too on a vet minimum if he can get healthy, just to add more speed and depth.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'd like to see them beef up the interior DL. QBs could stand in the pocket all day and slice them. Kawann Short is FA. I'm not sold on Mone. Reed is meh - had one stellar year and got overpaid because of it. Getting pressure on the QB will also benefit the Pass D. The Giants don't have the best secondary but they seem to do well because they have a decent DL who gets to the QB.

OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
hawkfan68":q1uhwsu2 said:
I'd like to see them beef up the interior DL. QBs could stand in the pocket all day and slice them. Kawann Short is FA. I'm not sold on Mone. Reed is meh - had one stellar year and got overpaid because of it. Getting pressure on the QB will also benefit the Pass D. The Giants don't have the best secondary but they seem to do well because they have a decent DL who gets to the QB.

Very true. You could have Josh Norman and Sherman in their heyday but if the QB has all day.....

Fade

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2cg83u66 said:
Coverage isnt the issue with Adam's. He is consistently tight coverage and in the right place. Would have had like 5 pics this year except dropsies. Only thing he lacks is hands.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1325837035932966912[/tweet]
I'm sure he will get better once he gets paid, they always do.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Fade":36n6h63z said:
jamescasey1124":36n6h63z said:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1325837035932966912[/tweet]
I'm sure he will get better once he gets paid, they always do.

Pff is crap just like no one on our line gave up up more than 4 sacks but somehow russ got sacked 47 times. I guess 30 plus sacks were on russ, rbs and tes. Pff sucks.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I think Carroll knows now, not to leave the defensive line as is. The teams struggled mightily on pass defense without consistent pressure with the defensive line.

Carroll will probably go find some aging defensive lineman in hopes he has a year or two more, motivate him, while paying him pennies on the dollar instead of some high priced free agent.

And then he’ll draft some additional rotational project guys to hopefully fill some void.

Just my guess.

Jville

Reaction score
I have a different take on the defensive line .............

As I recall, Carroll made the season ending remark that they are counting on their young developmental linemen to step up in 2021. That includes multiple competitors we fans have yet to see in Seahawks uniforms.

I feel some what confident that they have the 3 down personnel to attend to the inside. On the outside there is probably an opportunity for a vet to bring an experienced wrinkle to the position group. But all in all. I'm thinking the staff is betting on their young competitors.

We'll See :biggthumpup: Never know when an opportunity will present itself.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
More proven edge help and another CB would be nice to help solidify the pass D.

Dunlap or ???, Dunbar or ???.

Please JS get this done soon.

Jville

Reaction score
Geno Atkins had a great career. But, he has already played his best ball.

The best of Jarran Reed and Poona Ford and Bryan Mone is yet to come. All of whom have experience playing together.

Jarran Reed is the establish leader on that defensive line.

hinton

Reaction score
Jville":2m31wzgv said:

The best of Jarran Reed and Poona Ford and Bryan Mone is yet to come. All of whom have experience playing together.

You're right about Atkins, but if we could get him on a low-cost deal to add him to the rotation he could still be a force.

Jville

Reaction score
Something to keep in mind when thinking about pass coverage ...............
Ewi3I yWYAUeLe6formatjpgnamesmall
...................... with the addition of Jamal Adams and Ken Norton's fondness for dialing up the zone blitz, we may see Seahawk edge coverage move to the top of that list.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jville":35jqf9r0 said:

The interior DL must improve. It's not good enough as is right now. The problem hasn't been edge rush, the problem is rush up the middle. QBs could stand in the pocket and slice the Seahawks. Not enough consistent pressure up the middle. Poona Ford is great. I love his effort and he is the most consistent player on the line. He's just not a pass rusher from the interior. Pair him up with Atkins or Short and that's makings of a solid DL. Reed is not worth $11.5M that the Seahawks are paying him.

I just don't want to see Atkins or Short on the Cards, 49ers, or the Rams. I have a feeling one of those teams will grab them, probably the Cards since they seem to have no salary cap and can add anyone at will.