Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RB Carson re-signed by Seattle (2y, 14.625m)

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13

• That's a fantastic contract that I would've expected him to get more on. I expect him to feast this year.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Chris Carson a Seahawk!
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:01 pm
  • 2 years..don't know the numbers.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Russell Wilson approves.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Don't love it. Don't hate it. Don't even necessarily like it. At least it's not Fournette.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• boo
    misfit
    NET Veteran

• I like it quite a bit, and I hate spending money or picks on running backs.

This is likely around 6 million base per year with the rest being incentives. For a premier back who has missed only 7 games in the past 3 years, that's fine by me. Averaged nearly 5 a pop last year. He's worth the 2-3m per year more than a Fournette-esque stopgap, and the QB approves. I'm sold.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Love this signing! Now trade Penny for a draft pick.
    godzillarad
    NET Bench Warmer

• Color me Blue and Green with approval!

Thank you Kenyan Drake! :2thumbs:
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Meh
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Where'd we get the $$$?

Must be restructures for Russ and/or Bobby, or extensions for one or more of Adams, Lockette, Reed, Brown, and Diggs
    A-Dog
    NET Veteran

• godzillarad wrote:Love this signing! Now trade Penny for a draft pick.

I'd almost hate to see what kind of draft pick would likely be offered. I'd rather not think about it.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

This is the way.
    hugecanoli
    NET Rookie

Is there an 8th pick ?
    xray
    NET Veteran

• I would trade Penny for the Tanzania sign at this point.
    hugecanoli
    NET Rookie

• At least its not Fournette. Seahawks saved from themselves.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Good. I would have been OK with him signing elsewhere, because he's unreliable from a health perspective, but there is little doubt that he's a perfect fit for this team when he's healthy. For THAT money, I'm happy. Hopefully we can finally see this Carson-Penny 1-2 punch at full strength, like we've been promised for the past few years.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• I'm down with this. :2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: Chris Carson a Seahawk!
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:41 pm

• Love Carson and think he's a big part of the success but hopefully doesn't hamper our chances of signing Dunlap or another quality DE. Can't imagine KJ coming back now either.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• I like it. Carson is a hard runner who catches a lot of balls for Wilson when he can’t find a receiver. I’m hearing there’s a third voidable year (not confirmed) fir cap reasons. If true that really makes this contract cap friendly. Now we just need to keep him healthy
    kidhawk
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Best option available imo
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Given his injury history you are basically getting him for 10-12 games a year. Would LOVE a solid 17 and be healthy in January but if he can give us 75%+ games per season it's not a bad deal. When he's healthy? He's perfect for us.

Stay healthy bro!! Glad you are still wearing blue and green for the next two years.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Good contract for a perfect Seahawks RB. Excited to see what he can do with the hopefully updated run scheme.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Nice! I like the sound of CPC running back committee - Carson, Penny, Collins. If Penny and Carson can stay healthy, they could get back to having a top 5 run game.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• I like Carson. Glad he’s here. Not a team friendly contract unless there are a lot of incentives which I hope there are.

Better than what was left but that’s only because the FO waits so long.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Veteran

• I really didnt expect him to resign. I'm ok with it, but its pretty much 'meh',
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• .......................... all smiles here :2thumbs:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• If he would just drink some of RW’s miracle water, I’d be more excited. Best back we’ve had since Beast Mode, but I still think we can get better at that position. Always compete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• i knew they were going to keep Carson...Everything is falling into place. Now we need a 3rd receiver and offense should be solid.

For defense please get Dunlap/Clowney!
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

• KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:

From the above link .................
    The New York Jets, Carolina Panthers and New England Patriots were all involved with Carson before he agreed to his deal with Seattle, Muir said. ...........

............ Quarterback Russell Wilson worked hard in recent days to try to convince Carson to re-sign, sources told ESPN.

.................. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll has long had a well-known fondness of Carson and his bruising running style. Carroll said after last season that a better running game would have helped the Seahawks combat the issues in their passing game that contributed to their offensive decline late in the year.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• I love It. His mental toughness and refusal to accept less than his best = Seahawk.

Congrats to the hawks. One week at a time!
    12th Dimension
    NET Bench Warmer

• I'm in shock.

I thought for sure when he unfollowed Russ and the Seahawks on Twitter he was gone.
    Hopefully he can stay healthy!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Hell yeah!!!. Now get kj, Andrew's and sherm or another good corner like fuller or adore jackson. Then we are golden.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• There's no way to know if it's a good signing or not, unless you have a crystal ball. If he only misses a few games over 2 seasons it is a great signing.

Too risky imo, but only time will tell. I'd rather have Dunlap. If they get both, cool.

Carson now becomes only the 5th player since 2013 that they've drafted/UDFA to get a 2nd contract from the Seahawks.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Please Lord:

Carson and Penny are healthy for the last 8 games of the season;

Match rushing outputs of '19 Hawks;

DK and Lockett both stay healthy, DK improves on his drops

Dissly get back to his rookie year prowess.

Amen

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• For all the "give Russ what he wants" folks, me included

He wanted Carson, and he got Carson
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Carson got his money but not near what most of you thought. This is a bargain and now hopefully he will turn another 1000 season. If not...combine penny to get 1000 and you guys will ssssshhhh on penny being a bust.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• This might have saved the season. I thought Carson was gone.

There was zero chance I expected us to make the playoffs with some of the RBs I saw being discussed.

But with Carson vs without this team was Day vs Night. Carson makes us so much better.

We actually have a puncher's chance at the playoffs now.

One more year to convince Wilson to stay. Completely possible if Pete allows this offense to reach the potential it has.

We almost have to get Dunlap, a great corner, or lose Norton though.

If we can pull this off the whole season moves from darkness to hope.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• jamescasey1124 wrote:Carson got his money but not near what most of you thought. This is a bargain and now hopefully he will turn another 1000 season. If not...combine penny to get 1000 and you guys will ssssshhhh on penny being a bust.

I do wonder if he got a larger offer elsewhere but stayed due to Russell's urging and the Seahawks being the better team out of his suitors. His market didn't come in like expected, so he either left money on the table to come back or the league just isn't looking to spend on a back who doesn't specialize in the passing game.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• jamescasey1124 wrote:Carson got his money but not near what most of you thought. This is a bargain and now hopefully he will turn another 1000 season. If not...combine penny to get 1000 and you guys will ssssshhhh on penny being a bust.

Oh, wake up and smell the coffee, James!

Penny was a bust after his first preseason game vs Indianapolis :sarcasm_off:

He could go for 3 consecutive 1600+ all purpose yards/15+ TD seasons and he would still be a bust according to .net :sarcasm_off:
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

• Carson needed to be re-signed.

Great move by Seattle.

Going into the season with Penny, Dallas, Homer and whoever was worrisome.

Carson is a good guy, I’m glad he got paid. He more than deserves a raise.

Great move by Pete Carroll!
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• 2021 $2,500,000 cap hit

2022 $6,425,000

2023 $1,500,000

great signing
    Last edited by massari on Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:This might have saved the season. I thought Carson was gone.

There was zero chance I expected us to make the playoffs with some of the RBs I saw being discussed.

But with Carson vs without this team was Day vs Night. Carson makes us so much better.

We actually have a puncher's chance at the playoffs now.

One more year to convince Wilson to stay. Completely possible if Pete allows this offense to reach the potential it has.

We almost have to get Dunlap, a great corner, or lose Norton though.

If we can pull this off the whole season moves from darkness to hope.

Lose norton i would agree with but our defense turned around 2nd half. Yeah lesser opponents but it's still nfl.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• Thepeelsessions wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Carson got his money but not near what most of you thought. This is a bargain and now hopefully he will turn another 1000 season. If not...combine penny to get 1000 and you guys will ssssshhhh on penny being a bust.

He could go for 3 consecutive 1600+ all purpose yards/15+ TD seasons and he would still be a bust according to .net :sarcasm_off:

Oh you please wake up and just look at his limited production!!!

Penny has never been a bust. Just never held the number one according to pete. Before you respond please see his stats vs carries given. He has been solid.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• also as explained by John P. Gilbert ................
    2021: $2.5M cap hit ($1M base salary + $1.5M pro rated portion of signing bonus)
    2022: $6.45M* cap hit ($4.5M base salary + $1.5M pro rated portion of signing bonus + $450k in per game roster bonuses)
    2023: $1.5M* dead cap hit (final portion of pro rated signing bonus that will be recognized against the cap after the contract voids after the 2022 season).

For those wondering what the * means, that’s to account for the $1.4M in incentives. Whatever of those incentives Carson reaches in 2021 will count against the cap in 2022, and whichever of those incentives he reaches in 2022 will count against the cap in 2023.
    https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/3/20/22 ... ase-salary

.......... I concur with Gilbert's expectation for Carson to thrive in Shane Waldron's new offensive system. Great fit!
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Wow, I am sure happy he chose to stay. I was thinking he would get more than that. I'm betting he did too but the market never materialized for him. This is great news for the Seahawks. He is cearly their best RB and Fournette was a huge no thank you for me.

Welcome back Carson!!!!
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Carson is a hard runner and that is what makes him great but that is also what prevents him from being available all season b/c he’s usually so nicked up that he become less effective towards the end of the season. I like this this re- signing but hope his work can be marshalled better so he isn’t used up for the year by the time the playoffs arrive.

The deal is very team friendly. Carson was widely regarded as the best RB available in FA and is a good team fit. Hope he can reach all his incentives. :2thumbs:

Interesting that RW was encouraging him to sign with the team again.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jamescasey1124 wrote:
    Thepeelsessions wrote:
    jamescasey1124 wrote:Carson got his money but not near what most of you thought. This is a bargain and now hopefully he will turn another 1000 season. If not...combine penny to get 1000 and you guys will ssssshhhh on penny being a bust.

Oh you please wake up and just look at his limited production!!!

Penny has never been a bust. Just never held the number one according to pete. Before you respond please see his stats vs carries given. He has been solid.

I'm one of the few who want to see more of Penny. I know what he's done when healthy. It's hard not to see him thriving in the new scheme Waldron will bring, if it's the scheme we're expecting.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information