Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jake Heaps: Strong Chance Dunlap And KJ Return

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13

• If they can pair Dunlap with someone like Clowney, draft a Center 2nd round, and sign a cheap #3 WR like AB or Josh Reynolds, they'd probably be the favorites to win the NFC West.

This could end up being the best Seahawks off-season in a while if it all comes to fruition.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• When it comes to Seahawk moves I'm in 'believe it when I see it' mode.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• Appyhawk wrote:When it comes to Seahawk moves I'm in 'believe it when I see it' mode.

I'm with you, but hopefully things have changed with Russ getting vocal.

So many ways to create the cap room.

Cap Gains from extensions:

Tyler Lockett $8,968,000
    Duane Brown $7,420,000
    Jamal Adams $7,096,000
    Quandre Diggs $3,568,000
    Brandon Shell $1,668,000
    Jarran Reed $6,068,000
    Tre Flowers $1,010,400

Restructure Wilson opens up $12,666,667

Personally hoping to clear $10M by trading Adams and getting some much needed draft capital back. Then rolling with Marqise Blair and Ryan Neil.
    Last edited by massari on Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• Appyhawk wrote:When it comes to Seahawk moves I'm in 'believe it when I see it' mode.

Yeah, I'm right there with you, but I also sense the real possibility of more than one rabbit being pulled out of Schneider's hat sooner or later.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Both Dunlap & Wright provided reliable and effective NFL run stoppage out on the edge. Not easy to replace.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• "Believe it when I see it" is better than, "whatever they do is wrong".

I'll call that progress! :2thumbs:
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

• Would love to see them bring back Dunlap.
    Frozenropers
    NET Veteran

• If both of those guys end up coming back, then this free agency period has been a SMASHING success.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:If both of those guys end up coming back, then this free agency period has been a SMASHING success.

Second that! :2thumbs:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Own The West wrote:"Believe it when I see it" is better than, "whatever they do is wrong".

I'll call that progress! :2thumbs:

I fully expect to see Schneider pull something pretty good outta his hat. He's a whiz. He may miss now and then but rarely strikes out. He's also a loyalist, so I don't think we lose Dunlap and/or KJ without a serious fight.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• KJ in particular I would think is more valuable to us than anyone else. Dunlap Im surprised hasnt nudged someone towards overpaying with how well he played for us but if we can get him back Im excited. With Darrel Taylor actually, you know, playing this season.. we could be moving in the right direction with out pass rush.
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

• Vetamur wrote:KJ in particular I would think is more valuable to us than anyone else. Dunlap Im surprised hasnt nudged someone towards overpaying with how well he played for us but if we can get him back Im excited. With Darrel Taylor actually, you know, playing this season.. we could be moving in the right direction with out pass rush.

I think part of that is the financial situation. With the cap being down this year for the first time, many teams are probably struggling to get their salary cap situation in order. The Seahawks are not alone in that. FA league wide seems to be quite a bit slower than usual.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• It's numbing how much those two have collected in pay checks over the course of their careers.

Carlos Dunlap ....... $65,375,500

KJ Wright ............... $45,812,000
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• sutz wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:If both of those guys end up coming back, then this free agency period has been a SMASHING success.

Second that! :2thumbs:

….and I'll third that!!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

• What the crap is taking them. Just sign em already!
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• The entire league hasn't signed them, not just the Hawks...….
    The longer it takes, it's looking more likely they have a very good chance at getting them back.
    Nothing wrong with letting a player go see what he can find in free agency. If they don't find it, they get humbled a bit and come back where they belong. You can't convince me that players don't appreciate the team letting them go see what's out there before making their decision.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• Two great, high character players. Both had great seasons last year despite the first half doldrums. Hope we can get them back. Especially with the signing of Hyder!
    PlinytheCenter
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• SoulfishHawk wrote:The entire league hasn't signed them, not just the Hawks...….
    The longer it takes, it's looking more likely they have a very good chance at getting them back.
    Nothing wrong with letting a player go see what he can find in free agency. If they don't find it, they get humbled a bit and come back where they belong. You can't convince me that players don't appreciate the team letting them go see what's out there before making their decision.

Yeah I guess...I prefer to handle it upfront rather than waiting for atleast one guy we know will be here 2021. Kj!!!
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran

• I can't see Dunlop back now with the 2 signings today.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• Come on James, they have never done it that way. It's not going to change. Just because we want them to jump in early, doesn't mean that's the best way to do it. And how often have we seen a team go nuts at the beginning of free agency, only to see them on the outside looking in come playoff time? Quite often actually.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Come on James, they have never done it that way. It's not going to change. Just because we want them to jump in early, doesn't mean that's the best way to do it. And how often have we seen a team go nuts at the beginning of free agency, only to see them on the outside looking in come playoff time? Quite often actually.

You catch the best fish by getting out early. You don’t wait until 31 other boats have fished there all morning. If you are lucky you might find a good one but mostly you’ll just find fish that are too small.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Veteran

• Where did they have the cap to go crazy early on? And when have they ever done that? (insert standard Russ should take less money comment here)
    Overpaying guys is not always the smartest way. People freaking out every single year is the norm. They don't exactly have to cap to the full on like some of these other teams.
    Solid additions so far, and it's March 24th. Still a LOT of good players available, along with some cap casualties in early June that always happen.
    And for the record, I get plenty frustrated when I see all the top FA O Lineman go off the board. Though they did offer more $ than Baltimore did for Zeitler. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, as frustrating as it is.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Where did they have the cap to go crazy early on? And when have they ever done that? (insert standard Russ should take less money comment here)
    Overpaying guys is not always the smartest way. People freaking out every single year is the norm. They don't exactly have to cap to the full on like some of these other teams.
    Solid additions so far, and it's March 24th. Still a LOT of good players available, along with some cap casualties in early June that always happen.
    And for the record, I get plenty frustrated when I see all the top FA O Lineman go off the board. Though they did offer more $ than Baltimore did for Zeitler. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, as frustrating as it is.

I agree that we should not go all money crazy in the early days. A couple of things to consider.

1. We seem to have some cap space now. We could have had that cap space at any time but chose not to. While cap space is an issue it is not necessarily a road block for the right acquisition.

2. Not every player in days 1-3 signed $10 million plus contracts. Plenty of good players in positions of need signed reasonable deals. It feels like (and I could be wrong) that we sit back and let the market decide who we get instead of being assertive. "Let's sift through the leftover" approach. Oh, I do think they put offers out there but more along the lines of the kid putting $100 offers on every Porsche on ebay. He can tell his friends "I bid on some Porsches!"but it is an empty low-ball gesture.

I like the lineman from LV. I am less impressed with the TE and CB from the 49ers but they might work out. (I am a huge Hunter Henry fan but know the team wouldn't even glance his direction.) It feels like we are doing this year with our D-Line what we did with the O-Line last year. Throw a few low level guys at it and hope they stick.

I hope it works out. I don't want to go back to the days of missing play-offs And maybe it is just me every year just worrying that this is finally a year all those bad decision finally tanks the team but I have been wrong during the regular season for years. I was up and cheering Beastmode running in that TD against the Patriots when they actually threw that interception. I was so completely convinced that they couldn't stop that run that we were going to win that game on that play or the next. I would like to get back for a redo.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Veteran

• According to over the cap the Seahawks are currently in the worst cap predicament. They are going to have to shed salary or get creative.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Clayton made it sound like there is not way they didn't move some contracts around to get these deals done. We likely just haven't heard about it yet.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• I don't see how these deals get approved by the league if we truly are over the cap. I agree they might have already done some things that haven't been reported yet. They almost had to have done so or the league wouldn't approve the deals.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• HawkRiderFan wrote:I can't see Dunlop back now with the 2 signings today.

The whole defense would be relying on Hyder and Taylor/Robinson to step up. That's a huge gamble.

Just have to open up the $8M or whatever, so the season doesn't go down the toilet again.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:According to over the cap the Seahawks are currently in the worst cap predicament. They are going to have to shed salary or get creative.

Finally back to being number 1!!!
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Saw in other thread that Dunlap coming back. :2thumbs:

:pray: KJ.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• sutz wrote:Saw in other thread that Dunlap coming back. :2thumbs:

Yep. With Dunlap on board Heaps is half way home with his projection. Who can afford KJ? Can we?
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Appyhawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:Saw in other thread that Dunlap coming back. :2thumbs:

Yep. With Dunlap on board Heaps is half way home with his projection. Who can afford KJ? Can we?

We can afford KJ if he's willing to accept a 4-5M a year contract. He's not getting the 7M he made last year. Maybe even not that.

He played well last year, but after the last two years of him hearing crickets on the free agent market it's pretty obvious that other teams see him as a Seahawk fit, and not a LB they can plug into their systems.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Appyhawk wrote:
    sutz wrote:Saw in other thread that Dunlap coming back. :2thumbs:

We can afford KJ if he's willing to accept a 4-5M a year contract. He's not getting the 7M he made last year. Maybe even not that.

He played well last year, but after the last two years of him hearing crickets on the free agent market it's pretty obvious that other teams see him as a Seahawk fit, and not a LB they can plug into their systems.

Seattle has interviewed Army SAM LB prospect Jon Rhattigan 2 times so far some say he’s a top 60 prospect.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• LB’s are having excellent Pro Days! Watch out it’s been many years since there’s been this much LB speed throughout the draft. Rob Stanton dismisses it because he believes Pro days are inaccurate but after following Stanton it looks like another psychological melt down. Stanton argued last year that Poona Ford wasn’t a starting caliber DT and now way Seattle could win the NFC West.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• massari wrote:
    HawkRiderFan wrote:I can't see Dunlop back now with the 2 signings today.

The whole defense would be relying on Hyder and Taylor/Robinson to step up. That's a huge gamble.

Just have to open up the $8M or whatever, so the season doesn't go down the toilet again.

If you hadn't quoted me I would have deleted my post to remove the evidence lol
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:16 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information