random musing on a potential coach possibility for 2022

niveky

Reaction score
I was sitting and looking through some things with some of the speculation with the Saints and Russ and I was also thinking about the thought that if you have a franchise quarterback of Russ' caliber and there is a rift between the coach and the qb, you keep the qb and move on from the coach. If things don't go as well for the Saints somehow, and Russ were to lobby enough..how would a fantasy world trade for Payton to the Hawks be? I mean, it would never happen but, would be pretty sweet I think. Not that I don't love what Pete has done here overall and appreciate what he has done for the culture of the Seahawks, but he maybe has 3-5 years of HC football left in him, maybe a bit more with his pep but wilson is wanting to play until he is like 45 if i am not mistaken. With the way he commits finances to taking care of himself to stay in top shape, he could probably play at a high level for that long.

soohawk

Reaction score
I'd rather have sean payton than jamal adams for two first round picks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I wonder if other fanbases with longtime successful tenured coaches post this kind of stuff.

Saint's fans: "hey I know Payton just signed a new five year deal.........but wonder if we'd be willing to eat his 30M contract one year in and trade away draft picks for another coach cause our QB threw a temper tantrum publicly?"

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Lets not forget that Sean Payton has only one superbowl win with a qb that is no doubt better than Wilson and on top of that had a somewhat recent stretch of three consecutive 7-9 seasons.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
How many different ways does this fan base want to sabotage success? Forgive me if I missed the memo on how to undo a decade of unprecedented Seahawks success.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Nah. He hasn't won a Super Bowl since 2009, this fanbase would've already run him out of town.

There is not a single head coach in the NFL that would fully satisfy this fanbase.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
Did not say I wanted it to happen, but if we were to look at how long Pete and Wilson are going to be in the league from this point, then who is going to be around for a much longer time frame. Barring any freak, career ending injury at least. I think that the Seahawks, with Wilson could be in contention year in and year out long after Pete is gone if he decides that things have turned more in the direction he feels comfortable with it going forward with the Seahawks. If there were still to be a disconnect between a coach with not too long left probably in the top position of team control and a qb as good as Wilson is and who will probably end up reaching his years of playing goal, would the team really want to gamble on the risk/reward of standing pat with Carroll for 2-3 years and having big coaching question marks and possibly no franchise pro bowl/possibly mvp quality quarterback vs having wilson for another 10-12 years at a high level? I even stated I did not think anything like that would happen but i felt it was an interesting line of thought given stuff i had seen being put out in sports media.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I sure hope that Pete is out of here sooner than 3-5 yrs.
And, strictly IMO, Russ plays a different game than Brady. Russ has already lost a step. I don't think his style of play will allow him to play in to his 40s.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Trrrroy":2wx1v0ov said:
Lets not forget that Sean Payton has only one superbowl win with a qb that is no doubt better than Wilson and on top of that had a somewhat recent stretch of three consecutive 7-9 seasons.

And yet many hawk fans here would consider him an upgrade, despite any real evidence to support the claim

Tinamedina

Reaction score
Trrrroy":1lqnxnyw said:

in what world is brees better than wilson?

like...what?

BASF

Reaction score
Tinamedina":2yk8rkum said:
Trrrroy":2yk8rkum said:

like...what?

Pretty much every single one.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Tinamedina":2hkhhaym said:
Trrrroy":2hkhhaym said:

like...what?

You're joking right?

Brees is better and its not even close.

Cmon now

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So is Russ, and he will be a HOF. Regardless how much that bothers people.
We can agree to disagree. They are both all time greats. Brees is my favorite non-Hawk QB in the league, and has been for years.

Jville

Reaction score
Having drifted off topic, I've admired how well Drew Brees uses his blocking. Setting up blocks is usually something people talk about when talking about great running backs. But, I think Brees stands out a bit in that regard from other quarterbacks. And, I think it makes the job of an offensive lineman predictable and easier. Scramble improvisation is harder on both offense and defense. But, highly entertaining for fans.

With regards to the original topic, the recent GM and HC extensions dismisses any 2022 speculation regarding possible changes.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Drew Brees is the real life version of "let Russ cook" & Russ is the hypothetical version of "let Russ cook" so since Drew Brees has actually done it I'm gonna say Brees was slightly better than Russ until more evidence comes in.

KinesProf

Reaction score
It's important to understand how challenging the NFL is. Since the Hawks won the NFC in back to back years it has been one -off unique NFC champs every season. None of which have been been Brees or Rodgers.

Patience. If the 49ers, Panthers, Eagles and Falcons can all do it before reverting back to mediocrity or worse; then the PC/RW Seahawks certainly can do it again,given that they're in the dance seemingly every year.