Why Length Matters: Ethan Pocic and Seahawks Long-Term Plans

Jville

Reaction score
Requisite disclosure: Admittedly I've become a subscriber of Matty Brown's work. For me, his work rarely disappoints. Enjoy :biggthumpup:

Pocic’s return to the Pacific Northwest should not be a surprise, however. Excellent value aside, he has a profile that stands out from the shiny, glossier, centers that were also available in free agency. I’m specifically talking about arm length. At the 2017 combine, Pocic measured in with 33 1/8-inch arms.

That 33-inch mark seems to be rather important for Seattle. Since Mike Solari became line coach in 2018, the Seahawks have never taken an interior offensive lineman with arms shorter than 33 inches. In 2020, Damien Lewis' arms measured at 33 inches and in 2019, guard Phil Haynes measured in at 33 1/2 inches.

A sample size of two men, guards at that, isn’t enough proof. Instead, consider that previous long-term centers in Seattle had arms near that 33-inch mark. Justin Britt was 33 1/2 inches. Max Unger was 32 1/2 inches. Both of these players earned their role before Solari’s arrival. Solari’s history suggests length from his snapper is even more important.

Why Length Matters: Ethan Pocic and the Seahawks Long-Term Plans at Center >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/why-length-matters-ethan-pocic-and-the-seahawks-long-term-plans-at-center[/urltargetblank]

By the way the arm length I found for Kyle Fuller is 32 7/8 inch. Arm length found for Brad Lundblade is 31 3/4 inch.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Short armed Unger stunk

so did the that short armed LT Joe Thomas

seabowl

Reaction score
Pete Kendell had short arms too and was very good.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You either can block or you can't, arm length? Right up there with saying a QB can't be good if he's under 6 feet :lol:

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ip8g1u1 said:
You either can block or you can't, arm length? Nah, about as dumb as saying a QB can't be good if he's under 6 feet.

Please name all of the great QB’s under 6’.

And then I’ll name all of the great QB’s over 6’.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson and Drew Brees for starters. Future HOF players. Fran Tarkenton and Sonny Jurgensen are both HOF QB's under 6 feet.
Meh, not worth arguing about. When Russ is in the Hall of Fame, people are gonna' look pretty stupid complaining that a guy wasn't "tall enough"
Again, you either can play or you can't.

Smellyman

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1dig8mkk said:
SoulfishHawk":1dig8mkk said:
You either can block or you can't, arm length? Nah, about as dumb as saying a QB can't be good if he's under 6 feet.

Please name all of the great QB’s under 6’.

And then I’ll name all of the great QB’s over 6’.

They will start be able all sizes now

conventional wisdom was tall statues is what you wanted and if you were 6'2 or under and a good QB you'd need to find another sport or position.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It's fine for a lifelong OL coach to have an archetype he wants his linemen to fit. He didn't pull that preference out of thin air. C'mon guys.

sutz

Reaction score
Long arms help a blocker keep the DL from getting into his body and directing him where he doesn't want to go. :229031_shrug:

Not exactly a trade secret, and something I think all coaches pay at least a little bit of attention to.

Now, as for keeping Pocic around, I'm all for it. I see him as a fairly young, developing player and since having a little continuity on the O-line is a good thing. If we can start out this year with 4 returning starters, I call that a win.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A preference but not a requirement. There are always exceptions to the rule.
If Mike Solari likes a guy, that's more than good enough for me.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":ouef9zgu said:
Russell Wilson and Drew Brees for starters. Future HOF players. Fran Tarkenton and Sonny Jurgensen are both HOF QB's under 6 feet.
Meh, not worth arguing about. When Russ is in the Hall of Fame, people are gonna' look pretty stupid complaining that a guy wasn't "tall enough"
Again, you either can play or you can't.

Drew Brees is listed at 6’.

Tarkenton and Jurgensen played when linemen where significantly smaller.

Russell Wilson is the only modern QB I know of who has excelled despite being under 6’.

The question is can he modify his game and maintain his career as his mobility declines?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Listed. Neither guy was 6 feet tall. Who gives a rip? Now your height is somehow a requirement for being great? Instead of what you do on the field, especially wins??
I'm done talking about this, Russ can do no right with so many "fans" out there. It's just tired and old. He literally has the most wins of ANY QB in history over 9 years and is on his way to the HOF.
But that's not good enough, because he's "short" :roll:
Plus, this thread is about Pocic. We got WAY off topic :mrgreen:

Smellyman

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2ewrt00g said:
Listed. Neither guy was 6 feet tall. Who gives a rip? Now your height is somehow a requirement for being great? Instead of what you do on the field, especially wins??
I'm done talking about this, Russ can do no right with so many "fans" out there. It's just tired and old. He literally has the most wins of ANY QB in history over 9 years and is on his way to the HOF.
But that's not good enough, because he's "short" :roll:
Plus, this thread is about Pocic. We got WAY off topic :mrgreen:

you brought up height in this thread.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As a joke. Been listening to that garbage for 9 years now. I don't care if he's 3 foot 7, he gets the job done. Again, opinions and joking around should still be allowed on the site right?
Never mind, I'll gladly bow out...….

Smellyman

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":22p897yf said:
As a joke. Been listening to that garbage for 9 years now. I don't care if he's 3 foot 7, he gets the job done. Again, opinions and joking around should still be allowed on the site right?
Never mind, I'll gladly bow out...….

Jokes are funny

AgentDib

Reaction score
Long arms are also a specific advantage at center because refs let the other linemen get away with lining up on the center rather than on the ball. Another couple of inches gives players additional time to react when pass blocking and that helps out the other four linemen.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Makes total sense. But again, there are always exceptions to the rule. Guys who are told all the things they can't do because of a perceived weakness (Height, arm length, speed) I guess I just find myself pulling for players like that.