Following the Cap numbers ........

Jville

Reaction score
I don't remember a previous off season where voidable years were utilized this early to get under the cap.

Ethan Pocic's deal has a voidable year in 2022 which, if not extended, would result in $1,000,000 in 2022 dead cap.

Chris Carson's deal has a voidable year in 2023 which, if not extended, would result in $ 1,500,000 in 2023 dead cap

The current (at the time of this post) dead cap charge for 2021 sits at $1,309,419.

It's fortunate the front office got their dead cap number down low for this year. That has come in handy for this unusual cap year. They apparently anticipated this. The impact of void years on future dead cap costs is worth keeping an eye on. The benefit of front office preference for shorter contracts helps keep dead cap costs under control.

Seahawks get aggressive in retaining Chris Carson and Ethan Pocic >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/3/23/22344484/seattle-seahawks-get-aggressive-retaining-their-own-free-agents-chris-carson-ethan-pocic-void-years[/urltargetblank]

NOTE: Over The Cap currently lists the Seahawks as over the cap by - $2,753,013. Seahawks are listed last in cap space as of this moment. They are clearly utilizing all of their 2021 cap space allowance.

Offense & Defense allocations: Currently ..... $100,956,170 on offensive players & $76,305,121 on defensive players.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
FWIW, the Saints are the Kings of the Voidable Years.

Once Drew Brees retirement becomes official, the Saints will have over $35M in dead money for 2021.

And by recently restructuring multiple contracts to shed 2021 cap, they pushed another $35M in voidable years into 2022.

Similarly, they pushed another $4.7M into 2023 and an additional $8.6M into 2024.

That's a total of $84M over the next five years.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm still not a fan of the void years, but I'm also not going to complain about it every single time this comes up like a broken record. I just don't think the 2021 Seahawks are necessarily better than we should be in future seasons. Our front office placing too much weight on the present is they only area where I don't think they have the STH's best interests in mind.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
Jville":tcp2lebb said:
I don't remember a previous off season where voidable years were utilized this early to get under the cap.

Ethan Pocic's deal has a voidable year in 2022 which, if not extended, would result in $1,000,000 in 2022 dead cap.

Chris Carson's deal has a voidable year in 2023 which, if not extended, would result in $ 1,500,000 in 2023 dead cap

The current (at the time of this post) dead cap charge for 2021 sits at $1,309,419.

It's fortunate the front office got their dead cap number down low for this year. That has come in handy for this unusual cap year. They apparently anticipated this. The impact of void years on future dead cap costs is worth keeping an eye on. The benefit of front office preference for shorter contracts helps keep dead cap costs under control.

Seahawks get aggressive in retaining Chris Carson and Ethan Pocic >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/3/23/22344484/seattle-seahawks-get-aggressive-retaining-their-own-free-agents-chris-carson-ethan-pocic-void-years[/urltargetblank]

NOTE: Over The Cap currently lists the Seahawks as over the cap by - $2,753,013. Seahawks are listed last in cap space as of this moment. They are clearly utilizing all of their 2021 cap space allowance.

Offense & Defense allocations: Currently ..... $100,956,170 on offensive players & $76,305,121 on defensive players.
Wait all we hear is they spend more on defense than offense. That we need to spend more on offense this year? Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Jville":g4vnncr2 said:

This all makes Heap's 'insider' info regarding Dunlap and KJ look a little bit shaky.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
The Seahawks tend to adopt established trends a bit slowly, but again show they aren't afraid to hop on board when it makes sense.

The cap is deflated this year, and expected to rise at an even higher rate after this with the new broadcasting deals and the vaccine rollout going as planned. To keep a competitive team, they start kicking the cap can down the road in a measured fashion to benefit without leveraging the future. I like the approach and am glad to see they adopted it at the smart time to do so.

I'm not worried about them being over the cap. They have so many avenues to put themselves well into the green at a moments notice, so I'm sure we'll see what that is, whether it be extensions, restructures, or trades to acquire some draft capital.

Quality post as always, Jville.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don't know if the team is in fact actually over the cap as contracts could have been reworked to free up money.

I'd think that if they really wanted to they could find the money to re-up Dunlap and perhaps a few others.

They are certainly now at the stage of working on redoing contracts to free cap space.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I have yet to see agreements for Benson Mayowa and Kerry Hyder show up on NFL transactions. So presumably, the paper work has yet to be summited. It's too early for today's announced agreements with Jordan Simmons and Cedric Ogbueh. The most recent official announcement was the Ethan Pocic signing.

Also, the Chris Carson signing has yet to be officially announced by the Seahawks or listed by NFL transactions. So OTC may have jumped the gun by including him in their ($2,753,013) over the cap number. In any case, I would guess that a deal providing cap relief is in the works. Perhaps we will learn more on Thursday 3/25.

mikeak

Reaction score
I have seen lots of voidable years in that there is no guarantees for the last year, but this year goes to a new extreme

Several of these voids automatically if the player is on the roster going into the last year

Lol I get why so team can't screw player, but it has never been so obvious that teams are going the system as it is now.

Honestly the players in the system are benefitting and future players (without a voice) are paying for it.

Just like future players (again without a voice) had existing players agree on rookie contract limits on their behalf.

I wondered then and will always wonder if someone will file suit over that.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
They need to keep their cards close & act broke negotiating contracts but simultaneously present an aloof image in trade talks for Lockett, Wagner, Diggs, and Reeds.

Swain,Lattimore, Amadi, Brooks, Barton, & Blair are fascinating players that could be starters this year.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1lo2wyry said:
I don't know if the team is in fact actually over the cap as contracts could have been reworked to free up money.

I'd think that if they really wanted to they could find the money to re-up Dunlap and perhaps a few others.

They are certainly now at the stage of working on redoing contracts to free cap space.

I doubt there’s issues but there could be. Brown watched LT Williams get 20 plus million and Lockett might prefer to wait until 2022 to negotiate.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I just checked in on OTC. Their cap number at this moment has risen to ($6,093,013).
That red is hard on my eyes. So restated ..... the Cap Space is minus - ($6,093,013).

OTC is continuing to work the numbers prior to the team submitting all of it's contract agreements to the NFL.

What this means is that the need for a deal providing cap relief continues to grow.

John63

Reaction score
Jville":cb5mqeds said:
I just checked in on OTC. Their cap number at this moment has risen to ($6,093,013).
That red is hard on my eyes. So restated ..... the Cap Space is minus - ($6,093,013).

OTC is continuing to work the numbers prior to the team submitting all of it's contract agreements to the NFL.

What this means is that the need for a deal providing cap relief continues to grow.

I am betting they already have those worked out, and we will hear soon.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1375190971344846849[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/1375195581686018048[/tweet]
...................... so that coincides with today's change in the OTC cap number

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Just wait until next week when we have ti account for RWs dead money hit. Ugh.

:D

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
No need to wait until next week. This is the event the cap numbers were telegraphing ......... [tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1375232246462865409[/tweet]

If I read OTC's numbers correctly ..... $8,975,000 in cap savings and $3,000,000 in dead cap money.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://overthecap.com/player/jarran-reed/4762/[/urltargetblank]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jarranreed/status/1375223165253718027[/tweet]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
It's news dump Friday. Transaction paper work for this week is due in by 1:00 pm pacific time.

OTC's number for how much the Seahawks are over the cap inched up to ($7,673,013) over night. The weekend will give Jason Fitzgerald some breathing room to review his numbers and updated where necessary.

With the Dunlap announcement following on the heels of the expected Jarren Reed transaction by 1:00pm, a move for additional cap room is on the horizon. I've expected some kind of news about Tyler Lockett's future thru contract extension. Modifying his current contract seems the simplest course of action for creating cap room.

I guess patience is the word of the month.

We'll see :biggthumpup:

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1375446915890941959[/tweet]

So the voiding mechanism used in the Mayowa contract creates $1,500,000 in future dead cap.

Cumulative future dead cap generated by void years introduced by reported 2021 contracts.

Ethan Pocic ........................ $1,000,000
Chris Carson ...................... $1,500,000
Gerald Everett .................... $2,000,000
Benson Mayowa ................ $1,500,000
----------------------------------------------------
Total to date ....................... $6,000,000

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Joe Lombardi The GM Shuffle said Wednesday the Agents lie! All the contracts are reported 20% higher than what is reported to the NFL office. Waiting for Jason at OTC Over The Cap to respond to Joe Lombardi?