Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jarran Reed to be released

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Jarran Reed to be released
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:28 pm
  • Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Re: Jarran Reed to be released
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:35 pm
  • My gut was telling me this was going to happen...That or Bobby getting traded for Draft Picks.

Will probably pick up Dunlap or Clowney w/ the extra cash
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:37 pm
  • Update: Possibly traded if a deal can be worked. Look for a 2021 mid to late rounder.

Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:40 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:

Anyone else skim this tweet and read it as "full time inferior player"?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:45 pm
  • Cedric Lattimore appears to be the real deal & so does Collier! Time to call Clowney.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:59 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:Cedric Lattimore appears to be the real deal & so does Collier! Time to call Clowney.

Why the fascination with Clowney? He played average to below average last year. He would not be an upgrade at any position.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:00 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:Cedric Lattimore appears to be the real deal & so does Collier! Time to call Clowney.washed up!

Better to get Dunlap back, Clowney is living on Reputation now based on last season.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 pm
  • Would like to seem him traded as we could use the extra picks
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 pm
  • BASF wrote:
    FresnoHawk68 wrote:Cedric Lattimore appears to be the real deal & so does Collier! Time to call Clowney.

Why the fascination with Clowney? He played average to below average last year. He would not be an upgrade at any position.

For real. He was abysmal last year. He can be some other teams overpaid underachiever.

Clowney is just a big name recognition guy. That's all. People love to say "sacks don't tell the whole story, he got a ton of QB hits and pressures". Well, sacks are very important, and the good pass rushers find ways to sack the QB.
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:17 pm
  • Well Clowney played great for us. With him in there, this would help out the other players kind of like what Dunlap did. Clowney wanted 15million, ended up getting 12million from the Titans. This year probably can get Clowney for around 5-7million is my guess. Dunlap probably wants 7-10 million.
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:19 pm
  • These swap meets every year make me nervous to be honest .
    xray
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:27 pm
  • Offer Reed's money to Dunlap. Nope to another year of Clowney.
    KillerB
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:32 pm
  • The reason I want Clowney is his PFF rating as a Seahawk was 87.3 and it was 74.9 with the Titans.

Dunlap was 60.3 PFF as a Hawk equal to Mayowa and 89.7 in 2019 & 78.2 in 2018 as a Bengal.

Ultimately it comes down to the contract to determine which is best.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:39 pm
  • Defense boutta suckkk
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:51 pm
  • Sounded like Hyder is taking Collier's job, but Collier might move inside? Quite intrigued to see if Collier could bulk up a few pounds and excel at DT?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:03 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:

I recall talk toward the end of last year about how much they liked L.J. Collier on the inside at 3 technique. Specifically from Pete. Looks like Collier found his role over the course of 2020. And now, it's been brought to the forefront. The roster is beginning to take shape.

Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:15 pm
  • Hopefully this opens the way for a Geno Atkins signing. That would be a massive upgrade at the position. Reed was good but Atkins is great. As an added plus he would be a great mentor for Collier, et al.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:20 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Hopefully this opens the way for a Geno Atkins signing. That would be a massive upgrade at the position. Reed was good but Atkins is great. As an added plus he would be a great mentor for Collier, et al.

You have a point! Our DT’s are small right now if we play NE they will run it down our throats.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:30 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Hopefully this opens the way for a Geno Atkins signing. That would be a massive upgrade at the position. Reed was good but Atkins is great. As an added plus he would be a great mentor for Collier, et al.

You have a point! Our DT’s are small right now if we play NE they will run it down our throats.

NE doesn't concern me and they shouldn't concern the Seahawks either....the Rams, 49ers, and Cards do. NE is yesterday's news.

Kawann Short is also available. Either Atkins or Short would be a nice addition.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:33 pm
  • This was a short lived "damn" with Dunlap reported to be returning for 2 more years within about the same hour.
    The Breh
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:28 pm
  • If they didn’t tweak RW’s contract someone’s being traded!
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:30 pm
  • There are a lot of cuts restructuring and resigning's going to happen, Reed is missing the first wave so teams will have to cut or restructure if they want him mostly, he didn't want to do it here why he was cut, we will have to see if other teams are going to go after 5 million plus for him. I expect him to ask but not get many bites, he does have youth on his side however where many others are in the 30ish range.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 pm
  • I think they are going to be ok inside.

Jarran Reed is a very good 2 position player when healthy. But, young Poona Ford continued to improve at both positions. And, Bryan Mone possess legitimate nose tackle size and demonstrated much improved play as 2020 came to an end.

In Pete's mind, that 3 technique is most important. I expect to see the coaching staff place special emphasis on that competition. They are stacking the roster with the competition necessary to make that a top priority in 2021.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:34 pm
  • Jville wrote:I think they are going to be ok inside.

Jarran Reed is a very good 2 position player when healthy. But, young Poona Ford continued to improve at both positions. And, Bryan Mone possess legitimate nose tackle size and demonstrated much improved play as 2020 came to an end.

In Pete's mind, that 3 technique is most important. I expect to see the coaching staff place special emphasis on that competition. They are stacking the roster with the competition necessary to make that a top priority in 2021.

Also with limited draft capital, much easier to get a inside tackle that fits your need then to reach for a skill player and hope.

We can't afford projects and reaches this year. Knowing Pete redshirts most guys, a inside tackle for run support could be a pick up cheap and late.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:50 pm
  • Had a feeling this was happening as well. I never really saw him as a 3tech DT for us. I hope we can trade him for a draft pick, but the cap space savings is great too!

But good luck to him!
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:50 pm

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:31 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Hopefully this opens the way for a Geno Atkins signing. That would be a massive upgrade at the position. Reed was good but Atkins is great. As an added plus he would be a great mentor for Collier, et al.

Of all the teams to worry about. We don't play them again until 2024.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 pm
  • FresnoHawk68 wrote:

Poona Ford and Bryan Mone are not small DT's. Poona is 310 lbs. and just shy of 6 foot. Mone is 6'3" and about 340+ so not sure what you are talking about.
    Last edited by kf3339 on Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:48 pm
  • Pretty sad we signed a guy for 13.5M or whatever and can't even get a 7th for him when he's in his 20's lol
    King Dog
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:08 pm
  • Looks like Reed will be playing next to Frank Clark once again. Reed heading to KC.
    SuperMan28
    NET Rookie

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:15 pm
  • ^^^ Thanks for the update. :2thumbs:

So ...... KC saved some money and draft choice by waiting. More evidence that patience pays. :D

EDIT: Rapoport's conclusion is wrong. Reed is now in KC because it was about the money and the cap.
    Last edited by Jville on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:24 pm
  • Good for Reed. I had a feeling he would sign with the Chiefs. He is good friends with Frank Clark. He didn’t seem too happy when the Seahawks traded Clark a couple of years ago. Prior to that he had his career best season.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:50 pm
  • Good lord the Chiefs are stacked. Only question left is who they will be seeing in the SB,,,,Green Bay or a rematch with Tampa.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:06 pm
  • Well with Reed gone, it's time for young Mr. Collier to stand up. It's way overdue.
    PlinytheCenter
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:11 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:Good lord the Chiefs are stacked. Only question left is who they will be seeing in the SB,,,,Green Bay or a rematch with Tampa.

Green Bay is soft. I'm thinking Rams and Niners are gonna challenge Tampa. Niners with that running game and Nick Bosa coming back. Rams with Stafford, Donald, Ramsey and overall good team/coaching. Obviously Tampa is the team to beat in the NFC with Brady and the full supporting cast coming back.
    SuperMan28
    NET Rookie

Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 pm
  • IMO they should have found a way to keep him. Not too many interior linemen in the league that can get after the qb.

He is not replaceable with anyone currently on the roster. Not Hyder, Collier etc...
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:11 pm
  • SuperMan28 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Good lord the Chiefs are stacked. Only question left is who they will be seeing in the SB,,,,Green Bay or a rematch with Tampa.

Green Bay is soft. I'm thinking Rams and Niners are gonna challenge Tampa. Niners with that running game and Nick Bosa coming back. Rams with Stafford, Donald, Ramsey and overall good team/coaching. Obviously Tampa is the team to beat in the NFC with Brady and the full supporting cast coming back.

Very well could be right
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:53 am
  • King Dog wrote:Pretty sad we signed a guy for 13.5M or whatever and can't even get a 7th for him when he's in his 20's lol

You do realize that the contract is why we couldn't trade him, right? If he was under contract for say 3 mil we would have tons of offers, but $6m was his market value and we were paying him a lot more than that.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:57 am
  • seabowl wrote:IMO they should have found a way to keep him. Not too many interior linemen in the league that can get after the qb.

He is not replaceable with anyone currently on the roster. Not Hyder, Collier etc...

I'm not sure what Mayowa is getting but i'd much rather have kept Reed then resigned him. Seems like we have a glaring hole when it comes to interior pass rush.

Poona, Woods, Mone are great against the run but they wouldn't be my first choice to have on field in obvious pass downs.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:53 am
  • A lot of misinformed people on this message board. Hyder and Collier are not replacements for Reed. They don't play the same position.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 am
  • I think it could be argued that Hyder and Collier potentially replace Reed's pass rush ability when they are shifted inside on passing downs, even without technically playing the same base positions.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:09 pm
  • ImTheScientist wrote:A lot of misinformed people on this message board. Hyder and Collier are not replacements for Reed. They don't play the same position.

Thinking within the confines of mono e mono replacement concepts has rather limited usefulness. Each and every player is unique in what they bring to the team .

Thinking of alternatives and how a different skills mix fits into different situations within a new emerging rotation is much more engaging and enlightening. Fortunately, we are blessed to have such well informed posters among us.
    ...............................................................................

Returning to the subject of Jarran Reed .......

As I recall, a number of us thought his contract extension was too much at the time of extension. My explanation was that they were paying him to be the player they thought he could become. Reed's contract reminded me of the contract extension they game Red Bryant to become the player they envisioned him becoming. Unfortunately, both contract extensions ended the same way with terminations. It happens :229031_shrug:
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:03 am
  • ImTheScientist wrote:A lot of misinformed people on this message board. Hyder and Collier are not replacements for Reed. They don't play the same position.

Hyder and Collier will both get a shot to compete in that MikeB role where they play 5 tech on first down and then shift inside on predictable passing situations. So a better comparison is Mone + Collier vs. Reed, but posters are mainly just talking about the pass rush component.

Pete strongly favors a very deep DL rotation with lots of movement, frequent substitution and specialty roles. Teams like the Packers can take advantage of those substitution packages occasionally but overall it lets us get more bang for our buck then just sinking a ton of resources into a few guys and hoping they stay healthy.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:17 pm
  • More on the background of Reed's release rom Bob Condotta:

Bob Condotta
    @bcondotta
    ·
    3h
    My understanding of the Jarran Reed thing --- team simply wanted to convert his salary into bonus and add void years to spread it out over 2-3 years. He would have gotten same amount of money. But he didn't want to do it, wanted extension. That led to decision to trade/ release.

This surely indicates that Redd and the team talked a potential new deal and the team was not even close to what reed thought he'd get so he got upset and refused to approve the extension, perhaps misunderstanding that he was not going to lose any money. Either that or he thought he'd get better stats playing for another team tor hr was quietly unhappy in Seattle.

Kind of dumb if you think about it as the void years would mean nothing in terms of lost contract value.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:46 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:More on the background of Reed's release rom Bob Condotta:

Bob Condotta
    @bcondotta
    ·
    3h
    My understanding of the Jarran Reed thing --- team simply wanted to convert his salary into bonus and add void years to spread it out over 2-3 years. He would have gotten same amount of money. But he didn't want to do it, wanted extension. That led to decision to trade/ release.

This surely indicates that Redd and the team talked a potential new deal and the team was not even close to what reed thought he'd get so he got upset and refused to approve the extension, perhaps misunderstanding that he was not going to lose any money. Either that or he thought he'd get better stats playing for another team tor hr was quietly unhappy in Seattle.

Kind of dumb if you think about it as the void years would mean nothing in terms of lost contract value.

This was beyond dumb, he gave up 3.5million. Reed was willing to give up more than 35% less of his salary to go to team that will show him supposedly more love by taking less money and only one year contract...Wow
    rcaido
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:14 am
  • Reed didn't want to be a Seahawk after his buddy Frank Clark got traded. If he's about the money, he would have agreed to the restructure as he would have received more than he's getting with the Chiefs. His agent even advised him to do so and stay with the Seahawks.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Reed didn't want to be a Seahawk after his buddy Frank Clark got traded. If he's about the money, he would have agreed to the restructure as he would have received more than he's getting with the Chiefs. His agent even advised him to do so and stay with the Seahawks.

He wanted years not one year.

A long term extension would have paid him his guarantee money he wanted.

Instead of taking the one year, more money with the Seahawks.

He opted for the one year less money with the Chiefs.

Both options would have allowed him to sign with another team next off season, possibly that 3-4 year deal he wanted but he felt slighted Seattle was not willing to offer him a multi year deal so his pride took him to Kansas City.

If he believes Kansas City will pay him a multi year deal he’s over estimated his value.

Kansas City has Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Jones, and others being paid top dollars, if Reed believes KC will give him a long-term deal, he’s mistaken.

But, he might want to play for a contender this year and then get his money elsewhere.

It’s okay, Jarran Reed, is okay, he’s not great. But Seattle is better off using the money elsewhere.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:26 pm
  • By way of follow up, I'll just add this .................

Reed was on the field for 73.6% of the snaps. So his departure opens up opportunities for player development. That's something Poona Ford, who was on the field for 58.2% of the snaps, took advantage of in his development. Bryan Mone made himself known with 19.8% of the snaps. With any luck, man handling Al Woods will demonstrate his veteran savvy and add to Mone's zero and one technique development. Cedrick Lattimore returns in need of snaps as he saw no time on the field in 2020.

I'm anticipating a more enhanced match-up / rotation in 2021. This year's interior snap count leader will likely fall below 65% ..... and 60% is possible.

Latitimore was, if I recall correctly, viewed as a one gap defender with good pass rush potential. Presumably, Myles Adams is also viewed as a similar prospect. LJ Collier has already been identified to transition to more interior snaps. Poona Ford, Bryan Mone and Cedrick Lattimore were all rookie free agents in successive years. That's an encouraging and affordable pipeline of talent acquisition.

We are entering into the time of the year for great expectations.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:58 pm
  • Jville wrote:By way of follow up, I'll just add this .................

Reed was on the field for 73.6% of the snaps. So his departure opens up opportunities for player development. That's something Poona Ford, who was on the field for 58.2% of the snaps, took advantage of in his development. Bryan Mone made himself known with 19.8% of the snaps. With any luck, man handling Al Woods will demonstrate his veteran savvy and add to Mone's zero and one technique development. Cedrick Lattimore returns in need of snaps as he saw no time on the field in 2020.

I'm anticipating a more enhanced match-up / rotation in 2021. This year's interior snap count leader will likely fall below 65% ..... and 60% is possible.

Latitimore was, if I recall correctly, viewed as a one gap defender with good pass rush potential. Presumably, Myles Adams is also viewed as a similar prospect. LJ Collier has already been identified to transition to more interior snaps. Poona Ford, Bryan Mone and Cedrick Lattimore were all rookie free agents in successive years. That's an encouraging and affordable pipeline of talent acquisition.

We carried a lot of active guys on the 53 that never really played last year, adding to the Dline and maybe one less DB and one less WR or RB will help rotation wise, I know in our Super Bowl runs we were heavy with active D line.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:27 pm
  • Jville wrote:By way of follow up, I'll just add this .................

Fresher legs towards the end of the season would be huge.

Wilson talked about dissatisfaction, Reed left millions on the table just to get out.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information