From a player perspective how r we any better than last yr?

seabowl

Reaction score
From a player acquisition standpoint I'm sorry but outside of the Guard and maybe TE, not seeing how this team is any better than last year's if you include the subtractions that left.

The only thing that we can hope for is a different gameplan from Pete and the coordinators.

I know the cap room was low and they didn't have a lot of options but those that are saying how great the offseason has been I just don't see it at least to this point. Mostly the same underperforming group.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While they may not be perceived as being any better, they surely haven’t gotten worse. They were a playoff team last season. They have been very active this off season thus far, even if it’s only to bring their own guys back. Sometimes continuity pays better dividends. Hopefully this is the case. They did upgrade th coaching staff on the offensive side and that’s a significant change for the players. This change may play more to their strengths. We’ll see. It’s not even April and this team seems different to me.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
seabowl":17iqhazb said:
From a player acquisition standpoint I'm sorry but outside of the Guard and maybe TE, not seeing how this team is any better than last year's if you include the subtractions that left.

The only thing that we can hope for is a different gameplan from Pete and the coordinators.

I know the cap room was low and they didn't have a lot of options but those that are saying how great the offseason has been I just don't see it at least to this point. Mostly the same underperforming group.

How aren't they better?

Retained star running back. Both starting receivers return. Significantly improved left guard. Signed a replacement for Quill who, realistically, plays at just as high of a level. Retained their best lineman in Dunlap while significantly improving the big end role with Hyder. Taylor coming in healthier, too.

Expect a KJ re-signing too. They're better, and significantly so, pending even more acquisitions.

ScottishHawk84

Reaction score
seabowl":1nuyf59u said:

I genuinely believe we have got better.

LG- massive upgrade
TE upgrade- Olsen non existent and Hollister not as good as the year before. Everett fits the new system.
Pass Rush- KHJ will be a great fit, getting Mayowa back who played well when Dunlap arrived and now signing Dunlap who was our best rusher, for a lot less than we would’ve paid, not too mention a second year with us under his belt. Our Pass Rush is notably better than last year. Adams being at full health too helps.
RB- getting Carson back was great for us, as long as he stays healthy. I also loved Collins at the end of the year. Hyde did fine but I’m not devastated he’s gone. Penny might actually be available all year too, so we’ll see what he has.

Two big holes based on last year-
Corner- Shaq was average. We could get Sherm or another vet or invest our first pic in the draft on a CB. I actually don’t see that much of a drop off.

WR 3- Moore was average but made some decent catches. Not fully into Swain etc and there aren’t really any notable free agents left apart from Snead or Tate(probably never going to happen). So, we either hold out for the draft again or hope
Gordon gets reinstated!

Two semi holes-
C- we could draft our center of the future. Pocic isn’t it but we didn’t spend on the big free agents and I’d hate for us to do a BJ Finney disaster again. For me it could be Blythe or a rookie battling it out for Center. Pocic didn’t get starter money.
Barton/KJ- obviously Cody Barton isn’t the answer but Jordyn Brooks is there. We still need something. Would be great to get KJ back but I don’t know how we can afford him now unless his market crashes.

I actually think it’s the best free agency we’ve had in a long time. No questions on the pass rush(Reed was ok but not worth the money). Remember last years nightmare until we signed Dunlap.

I’m excited to see the new offensive game plan too.

Overall, with the lack of draft picks, I thinks it’s forced their hand and that’s why we’ve seen more signings, pre draft, thank for a while. I’d love you to challenge why they haven’t got better from a personal stand point.

massari

Reaction score
They can still add Sherman, KJ and AB/Tate/Watkins through free agency. Wonder about Geno Atkins or another available DT too, or do they think Collier will be fine after he bulks up a bit.

They need more draft capital somehow though.

Rat

Reaction score
We're definitely not any better. Our divisional opponents are though, and we don't get the luxury of playing the AFC and NFC East this year. Wouldn't be surprised if we go from first to worst in the west this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are better on the edges already from the beginning of last year, Taylor, Dunlap, Hyder, Collier, Tackle we will get guys, we always do and or draft one, Safeties are settled, Nickle is anchored with Blair and Amadi, Reed on one corner the other is Witherspoon at the moment who has potential or Dunbar if they bring him back.

We also have Mayowa, Irvin is the one guy I have not heard about yet as a resign unless I missed it and KJ that is rumored to be coming back.

In the division we have pressure for Stafford, Garoppolo, and Murray. That will help the secondary tons, throw in the Adams blitz which he won't need to do as much and in when he does will be much more of a surprise and success.

Just need to make sure we are stout against the run without needing to bring up help.

Jville

Reaction score
seabowl":3su3o3zq said:

I'm exercising patience. There is still plenty of roster construction left to do. Both the offense and defense are building on last years lessons and evolving into a 2021 roster. I don't find Ben Franklin charts all that insightful into a teams future prospects. There are a lot more variables in play.

kf3339

Reaction score
We're definitely better on our DL with today's moves with Dunlap and Reed. I always felt Reed was overpaid when we re-signed him last off-season. It was probably needed, but still needed at the time. But with the Hyder signing I think our line will be much better than the start of last season. Also Brooks came on towards the end of the season and should be even better this year. Barton is serviceable if Wright doesn't return. But our safeties will be much better with Blair returning and Neal getting experience last year. Probably our CB's will be a little weak to start, but hopefully we can work around with with a stronger pass rush.

Our O-line is going to be better just by Jackson with his experience and Lewis with a year under his belt. Give us a quality draft pick at OC and/or OT and you have to feel good about our line!

I actually think this has been our best FA signing period since the year we got Bennett and Avril in 2013. Signs are pointing up this year! :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":wzl0j5ji said:
We're definitely better on our DL with today's moves with Dunlap and Reed. I always felt Reed was overpaid when we re-signed him last off-season. It was probably needed, but still needed at the time. But with the Hyder signing I think our line will be much better than the start of last season. Also Brooks came on towards the end of the season and should be even better this year. Barton is serviceable if Wright doesn't return. But our safeties will be much better with Blair returning and Neal getting experience last year. Probably our CB's will be a little weak to start, but hopefully we can work around with with a stronger pass rush.

Our O-line is going to be better just by Jackson with his experience and Lewis with a year under his belt. Give us a quality draft pick at OC and/or OT and you have to feel good about our line!

I actually think this has been our best FA signing period since the year we got Bennett and Avril in 2013. Signs are pointing up this year! :2thumbs:

We played well to counter the Rams acquisition of Stafford, we have yet to see if Jimmy is the guy, seems when a team talks up a player as our guy as much as the 49ers have he isn't, we will see. Cards are the team that is making strides and will be very tough in my book, much tougher then many here credit. We know the Rams will be slinging it and the 49ers trying to not make mistakes and beat you up with slash running.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
seabowl":24l1wpbo said:

The only thing that we can hope for is a different game plan from Pete and the coordinators.

You're just spoiled. This is what happens when a team has consistent success.

Temper your expectations and you may just find that you'll get more enjoyment from the Hawks seasons.

themunn

Reaction score
Most teams don't get better in FA - especially teams that are already good.

Cheap players come to the end of contracts and cost more to be resigned, cap space becomes difficult to manage, often times great players leaves.

We've seen that by cutting Jarran Reed, but also we've lost Griffin & Moore, who were starters and/or significant role players that are too expensive to keep.

But we've added strength at positions of weakness in trading for Jackson and the signings of Everett, Hyder & Witherspoon overall I think should be better than the players replacing them.
Darrell Taylor and Marquise Blair should hopefully be fit and healthy for the new season, I expect we'll do a deal to keep KJ in town, Jamal Adams has a full season/offseason with the team under his belt & Jordyn Brooks is no longer a rookie. Over the last 8 games of the season our defense went from one of the worst in the league to one in the best and I think we've done enough to keep that momentum going.

On offense, the LG spot and TE were the 2 that needed improving given the 6 games Iupati missed last year and Olsen injury. I think the Jackson & Everett moves are significant upgrades there, and that leaves us with no real glaring holes in the roster.

We could probably do with a new starting CB (though I'm still convinced Flowers is better than we think) and a new WR3, but for the first time in a while I think we can go into the draft with the mindset of picking the best player (or playmaker) available to compete with the starter at their position. And if Reed finds out the market isn't what he thought it was, who knows, maybe we can still find a way to keep him around.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
As you said yourself, upgrade at LG, upgrade at TE + upgrade along the D-Line = meaningfully better.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I've read through the comments so far and IMO there isn't one that convinces me that we are better.

Jackson on the OL is a very good upgrade. Everett is a good upgrade too but not tremendous when you look at him replacing both Hollister and Olsen. Hyder is a good player but losing Reed in the middle will hurt. Anyone thinking Witherspoon is an upgrade over Griffen is smoking something. Other then that everything else is pretty much the same as the end of last year's roster of who's left. Also those mentioning the emergence of players like Taylor, Collier, etc. I wouldn't get my hopes up. I did that with players like Rasheem Greene and he has turned out to be below average.

Look not trying to burst anyone's bubble but I'm just not putting on the rose colored glasses because this group has not improved on paper at least to this point as a whole IMO.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are ahead of where we were last year, we have a healthy RB stable and depth there, we have a revamped defense to start the season not like mid season where we finally got everyone together.

Thats all improvements 8 games ahead of schedule, now the one thing that will need time is whatever tweeks happen on offense, I am not convinced we go whole new thing.

Secondly not knowing what OTA'S, Mini camps and how much contact etc we can have before training camp and pre season is still going to set us back if we go full blown offense change.

Timing on the Rams offense was crucial from what I saw.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
chris98251":2vtxi09g said:
We are ahead of where we were last year, we have a healthy RB stable and depth there, we have a revamped defense to start the season not like mid season where we finally got everyone together.

Thats all improvements 8 games ahead of schedule, now the one thing that will need time is whatever tweeks happen on offense, I am not convinced we go whole new thing.

Secondly not knowing what OTA'S, Mini camps and how much contact etc we can have before training camp and pre season is still going to set us back if we go full blown offense change.

"Healthy rb stable" is only because they haven't played a game in over 2 months. What depth that is different then last year?

Revamped D that is different? Hyder is ok-good, Dunlap is good too, losing Reed is not good and Witherspoon is a big droppoff from Griffen. all the rest is the same. I'm very concerned about the interior DL as Mine is serviceable but not much else there.

Again IMO it's all up to the coaching staff to change their ways if we are to see improvement.

chris98251

Reaction score
seabowl":bxraukf9 said:
chris98251":bxraukf9 said:

"Healthy rb stable" is only because they haven't played a game in over 2 months. What depth that is different then last year?

Revamped D that is different? Hyder is ok-good, Dunlap is good too, losing Reed is not good and Witherspoon is a big droppoff from Griffen. all the rest is the same. I'm very concerned about the interior DL as Mine is serviceable but not much else there.

Again IMO it's all up to the coaching staff to change their ways if we are to see improvement.

Obviously you were not paying attention, Penny was not there, we didn't have Collins at the beginning, we got Adams later, Dunlap later still, Witherspoon can be better then Griffin based on what I read in coverage, the bad is his tackling and run support. Tackling is about attitude and want. We will have to see if the staff can instill the right mentality with him.

Other then Reed we have added more impact pieces there then lost, and Reed could end up back after testing the real world. They good thing is inside guy are cheaper then Edge guys typically so picking one or two up as depth and rotation should not break the bank.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
chris98251":2n5nnvf0 said:
seabowl":2n5nnvf0 said:
chris98251":2n5nnvf0 said:

Obviously you were not paying attention, Penny was not there, we didn't have Collins at the beginning, we got Adams later, Dunlap later still, Witherspoon can be better then Griffin based on what I read in coverage, the bad is his tackling and run support. Tackling is about attitude and want. We will have to see if the staff can instill the right mentality with him.

Other then Reed we have added more impact pieces there then lost, and Reed could end up back after testing the real world. They good thing is inside guy are cheaper then Edge guys typically so picking one or two up as depth and rotation should not break the bank.

Na I was paying attention as I've seen virtually every game since 1990. By the way maybe you weren't paying attention because the team started off at 6-1 which is almost half a season.

With that said yes you can say Penny will be there this year when he was not there last year but not holding my breath on him being great. Collins is not an upgrade over Hyde. At best I'd call that even and I'm being generous. Witherspoon is NOT better then Griffen. Just look at the contracts for the 2. Please do not say you'd rather have Witherspoon. I too have read up on him and frankly have not seen many good things. Yes Adams came after the start of the season but the team with him still underperformed most of the year. This is not on Adams but they ended up getting bounced early by a team with a bad QB situation.

Look I want the team to be better but on paper they just are not given the players they lost vs what they gained compared to the roster at the end of the season . You have your opinion and that is fine but as I have said, the bettering of this team begins and ends with the coaching staff.

The roster based on who they brought is is not a difference maker.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If there has been any improvements, they have been negligible. Certainly nothing thats going to propel the team any further. Usual Seahawks season coming up. Make playoffs (maybe) and fizzle quickly in the playoffs. Still giving the off season a C so far.