Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Al Woods is heading back to Seattle // 1-year/$3M

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • 2020 he joined the Jaguars but he opted out due to Covid.
    Woods signed a 1-year/$3M contract with a $750k signing bonus.

    Gio
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 263
    Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:17 am


  • JAG? Too lazy to look up film of him...Doesn't ring a bell.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14963
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


  • Another depth signing for the DT rotation. :2thumbs:

    Looks like they're really trying to solidify the D-line this year across the board. Hopefully his PED problem won't crop up again.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21813
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • Aros wrote:JAG? Too lazy to look up film of him...Doesn't ring a bell.

    He's was an elite run stuffer. This feels like insurance for Mone, but we'll see what he can bring to the table.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2781
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


  • Played decent here, but his best days are behind him. More of a run stopper.

    I kinda like it. I really think Poona should stay at 3tech and let Mone and Woods play the 1tech on non obvious pass downs.
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:14 pm


  • nwHawk wrote:Played decent here, but his best days are behind him. More of a run stopper.

    I kinda like it. I really think Poona should stay at 3tech and let Mone and Woods play the 1tech on non obvious pass downs.


    Makes sense to me :2thumbs: the defensive line is beginning to look like a tag team rotation.

    ............................. Happy Birthday Al Woods on turning 34 yesterday.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10113
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


  • Front 7?

    Leo: Dunlap, Robinson, Taylor
    3T: Ford, Collier
    NT: Woods, Mone
    5T: Hyder, Greene

    SLB: Mayowa, Barton
    MLB: Wagner
    WLB: Brooks, BBK
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3388
    Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm


  • Better at his job than Reed, even at 34 has a better anchor. A solid vet that can really help Mone and Poona reach their potential. A real coach on the field. I like this...albeit, a little too pricey. Even though, he's a pro and stuffs the run. If he can take up blockers along with Poona, Dunlap can get after the QB. I'm down for this.
    RockinHawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 838
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:52 pm


  • I am very happy we signed him. He is good against the run.
    soohawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 905
    Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 am


  • Definitely feels like they want to get back to the rotational/sub system that was so effective during our SB glory years.

    :2thumbs:
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 14963
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!



  • He was solid here. Worth $3 million at least.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 6461
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:42 pm
    Location: Grand Rapids, MI


  • Without crunching the numbers then for the cap hit that would have been Dunlop and Reed, they now have Dunlop, Hyder, and Woods?
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1182
    Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm


  • So Poona stole Reed’s job but they had to sign Poona first so it didn’t cost them $14 million.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 971
    Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:27 am


  • Pandion Haliaetus wrote:Front 7?

    Leo: Dunlap, Robinson, Taylor
    3T: Ford, Collier
    NT: Woods, Mone
    5T: Hyder, Greene

    SLB: Mayowa, Barton
    MLB: Wagner
    WLB: Brooks, BBK


    I think kj will be back for slb. Not sure where mayowa fits after. Dont think he would be any good in coverage.
    jamescasey1124
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 am


  • He was a superb space eater for the Hawks two years ago.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6169
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:20 pm
    Location: UT


  • Gonna party like it's 2015 tonight
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1870
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • sutz wrote:Another depth signing for the DT rotation. :2thumbs:

    Looks like they're really trying to solidify the D-line this year across the board. Hopefully his PED problem won't crop up again.


    Hopefully it doesn't crop up.......... lol
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1870
    Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:13 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • He played well for us in 2019 as a run stuffer. I remember several stops near our goal line that he made himself. If he can bring that back this year it's a great move. He is certainly rested since he took last year off!

    Welcome back Al! :irishdrinkers:
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3435
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • He was off last year, which may be good if he stayed in decent shape, a year off his body has healed and he is probably reinvigorated also.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 35367
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Interesting addition!

    Had not even thought of him when the Reed situation hit the fan, sneaky good add. Woods played well for the team before his year off, and although older is an absolute immovable force inside that opponents can’t blow off his spot while he is in run D. I’m sure with a season to get rested up and everything rehabbed he’s refreshed and ready to do his thing. The team has his medical records on file and he had to have been cleared when he left in FA, but then didn’t play last year.

    I like this addition, not a flash guy but steady and reliable. :2thumbs:
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 7693
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:13 pm


  • jammerhawk wrote:Interesting addition!

    Had not even thought of him when the Reed situation hit the fan, sneaky good add. Woods played well for the team before his year off, and although older is an absolute immovable force inside that opponents can’t blow off his spot while he is in run D. I’m sure with a season to get rested up and everything rehabbed he’s refreshed and ready to do his thing. The team has his medical records on file and he had to have been cleared when he left in FA, but then didn’t play last year.

    I like this addition, not a flash guy but steady and reliable. :2thumbs:

    Woods, Ford, Mone on the goal line. Is anybody getting through between the tackles? :twisted:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21813
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • I'd like to replace Green with Geno Atkins. Not sure if it was possible, but I think that's one last change that would push this defensive line to a lethal status going into next season.
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 1858
    Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:14 pm


  • jammerhawk wrote:Interesting addition!

    Had not even thought of him when the Reed situation hit the fan, sneaky good add. Woods played well for the team before his year off, and although older is an absolute immovable force inside that opponents can’t blow off his spot while he is in run D. I’m sure with a season to get rested up and everything rehabbed he’s refreshed and ready to do his thing. The team has his medical records on file and he had to have been cleared when he left in FA, but then didn’t play last year.

    I like this addition, not a flash guy but steady and reliable. :2thumbs:


    I don't know how sneaky it is but I really like this signing. He is a powerhouse that might make us forget about Reed. Just hope he keeps it clean. I really regretted letting him go to the Jags, but that was a price war we couldn't afford to fight. Woods is a beast!
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 2056
    Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:43 pm
    Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.



  • hawkfan68 wrote:They didn’t break the bank for Woods but not sure if he immediately improves the run defense. They weren’t all that much better in 2019 with him. https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/12/26/21037596/seattle-seahawks-run-defense-worst-nfl-statistics-2019-season


    He wasn't a starter on our D-Line. He made plays when in the game. Several goal line stops that were critical that year. No one is expecting him to start on the line, but be in the rotation as last time. He sure as H*&ll doesn't hurt our line play.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3435
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • hawkfan68 wrote:They didn’t break the bank for Woods but not sure if he immediately improves the run defense. They weren’t all that much better in 2019 with him. https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/12/26/21037596/seattle-seahawks-run-defense-worst-nfl-statistics-2019-season


    A quote from the linked article above .....................
    What I do know is that Jarran Reed, Jadeveon Clowney, Ziggy Ansah, Al Woods, and Quinton Jefferson are all unrestricted free agents this offseason. We could be looking at a very different defensive line in 2020, and perhaps it may be welcomed.


    ........................................... I find it interesting that for 2021 they passed on bringing back all those brand names but chose the proven blue collar run stopper.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10113
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


  • Jville wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:They didn’t break the bank for Woods but not sure if he immediately improves the run defense. They weren’t all that much better in 2019 with him. https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/12/26/21037596/seattle-seahawks-run-defense-worst-nfl-statistics-2019-season


    A quote from the linked article above .....................
    What I do know is that Jarran Reed, Jadeveon Clowney, Ziggy Ansah, Al Woods, and Quinton Jefferson are all unrestricted free agents this offseason. We could be looking at a very different defensive line in 2020, and perhaps it may be welcomed.


    ........................................... I find it interesting that for 2021 they passed on bringing back all those brand names but chose the proven blue collar run stopper.


    Everyone knows that Clowney, Ansah, Reed, and Jefferson would cost too much. Therefore that probably factored in why they aren't being considered thus far. If there was no salary cap involved, maybe they would have considered bringing them back or a least keeping them (in the case of Reed). If they had money do you believe they would be in the mix for a 34 year old defensive tackle with all the other options out there? I surely don't think so.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 8011
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • kf3339 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:They didn’t break the bank for Woods but not sure if he immediately improves the run defense. They weren’t all that much better in 2019 with him. https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/12/26/21037596/seattle-seahawks-run-defense-worst-nfl-statistics-2019-season


    He wasn't a starter on our D-Line. He made plays when in the game. Several goal line stops that were critical that year. No one is expecting him to start on the line, but be in the rotation as last time. He sure as H*&ll doesn't hurt our line play.


    Therein lies the problem in my opinion. I'm not sold on Mone. Ford yes. But the rest of the DT rotation is meh, IMO. Woods would have to play more than he did in 2019. Being a year removed and older will impact his effectiveness especially if he has to play more. Reed had played 74% pct of plays on defense. Need to find someone to replace that. Poona Ford played 58%. So Reed and Ford were on the field together over half the time. Ford technically isn't replacing Reed.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 8011
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:They didn’t break the bank for Woods but not sure if he immediately improves the run defense. They weren’t all that much better in 2019 with him. https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/12/26/21037596/seattle-seahawks-run-defense-worst-nfl-statistics-2019-season


    A quote from the linked article above .....................
    What I do know is that Jarran Reed, Jadeveon Clowney, Ziggy Ansah, Al Woods, and Quinton Jefferson are all unrestricted free agents this offseason. We could be looking at a very different defensive line in 2020, and perhaps it may be welcomed.


    ........................................... I find it interesting that for 2021 they passed on bringing back all those brand names but chose the proven blue collar run stopper.


    Everyone knows that Clowney, Ansah, Reed, and Jefferson would cost too much. Therefore that probably factored in why they aren't being considered thus far. If there was no salary cap involved, maybe they would have considered bringing them back or a least keeping them (in the case of Reed). If they had money do you believe they would be in the mix for a 34 year old defensive tackle with all the other options out there? I surely don't think so.


    I was commenting on the link provided. Surely your not claiming that Woods and Woods alone was solely responsible for run defense slippage and the other four had no accountability with regards to stopping the run. Or are you? Are brand names entitled to some kind of immunity from criticism? Was Woods and Woods alone the fall guy for 2019?
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10113
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


  • Jville wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:They didn’t break the bank for Woods but not sure if he immediately improves the run defense. They weren’t all that much better in 2019 with him. https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/12/26/21037596/seattle-seahawks-run-defense-worst-nfl-statistics-2019-season


    A quote from the linked article above .....................
    What I do know is that Jarran Reed, Jadeveon Clowney, Ziggy Ansah, Al Woods, and Quinton Jefferson are all unrestricted free agents this offseason. We could be looking at a very different defensive line in 2020, and perhaps it may be welcomed.


    ........................................... I find it interesting that for 2021 they passed on bringing back all those brand names but chose the proven blue collar run stopper.


    Everyone knows that Clowney, Ansah, Reed, and Jefferson would cost too much. Therefore that probably factored in why they aren't being considered thus far. If there was no salary cap involved, maybe they would have considered bringing them back or a least keeping them (in the case of Reed). If they had money do you believe they would be in the mix for a 34 year old defensive tackle with all the other options out there? I surely don't think so.


    Surely your not claiming that Woods and Woods alone was solely responsible for run defense slippage and the other four had no accountability with regards to stopping the run. Or are you? Are brand names entitled to some kind of immunity from criticism? Was Woods and Woods alone the fall guy for 2019?


    That was not said nor implied. All that I had said is that Woods was part of the defense that was one of the worst run defenses in the league. So his signing is not that exciting (at least to me).They brought back Woods because they were able to get him cheap and they are tight against the salary cap.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 8011
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    A quote from the linked article above .....................

    ........................................... I find it interesting that for 2021 they passed on bringing back all those brand names but chose the proven blue collar run stopper.


    Everyone knows that Clowney, Ansah, Reed, and Jefferson would cost too much. Therefore that probably factored in why they aren't being considered thus far. If there was no salary cap involved, maybe they would have considered bringing them back or a least keeping them (in the case of Reed). If they had money do you believe they would be in the mix for a 34 year old defensive tackle with all the other options out there? I surely don't think so.


    Surely your not claiming that Woods and Woods alone was solely responsible for run defense slippage and the other four had no accountability with regards to stopping the run. Or are you? Are brand names entitled to some kind of immunity from criticism? Was Woods and Woods alone the fall guy for 2019?


    That was not said nor implied. All that I had said is that Woods was part of the defense that was one of the worst run defenses in the league. So his signing is not that exciting (at least to me).They brought back Woods because they were able to get him cheap and they are tight against the salary cap.


    Understood and that's fine. I was just pointing out that there were many other team mates with run stopping responsibilities that disappointed in 2019. If anything, I doubt Woods man handling demonstrations were the root of any 2019 slippage.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10113
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:49 pm


  • Jville wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Everyone knows that Clowney, Ansah, Reed, and Jefferson would cost too much. Therefore that probably factored in why they aren't being considered thus far. If there was no salary cap involved, maybe they would have considered bringing them back or a least keeping them (in the case of Reed). If they had money do you believe they would be in the mix for a 34 year old defensive tackle with all the other options out there? I surely don't think so.


    Surely your not claiming that Woods and Woods alone was solely responsible for run defense slippage and the other four had no accountability with regards to stopping the run. Or are you? Are brand names entitled to some kind of immunity from criticism? Was Woods and Woods alone the fall guy for 2019?


    That was not said nor implied. All that I had said is that Woods was part of the defense that was one of the worst run defenses in the league. So his signing is not that exciting (at least to me).They brought back Woods because they were able to get him cheap and they are tight against the salary cap.


    Understood and that's fine. I was just pointing out that there were many other team mates with run stopping responsibilities that disappointed in 2019. If anything, I doubt Woods man handling demonstrations were the root of any 2019 slippage.


    Sorry for the confusion on that. Al Woods is a Seahawk and I hope he has a quality year. It only would help the Seahawks.
    hawkfan68
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter
     
    Posts: 8011
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:10 pm
    Location: Sammamish, WA




It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online