Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Wilson should or shouldn't be happy with '21 offense.

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Why he should be happy:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

Why he shouldn't be happy :
    Was our new OC his preferred one? Did he had much input on that hiring?
    Starting OL is 80% same as last year, backups identical to '20.
    Starting RB corp basically the same except swapping Carlos with Alex.
    Starting WR lost 3WR Moore with no replacement.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Is your title dyslexic?

Just asking because .....

They only ran 11 plays last year with 21 personnel.
    Where as they ran 303 plays (20%) with 12 personnel.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• toffee wrote:Why he should be happy:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

Russ playing better football in '21 would make him substantially happier with the offense as well.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    toffee wrote:Why he should be happy:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

Russ playing better football in '21 would make him substantially happier with the offense as well.

+1
    WarHawks
    NET Rookie

• Jville? Was that an attempt at sarcasm, trolling.. or did you clearly misunderstand it means 2021?
    balakoth
    NET Rookie

• Hawkpower wrote:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

yes he has to do better than
    9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

I mean jeeze there are 2 other guys top 10 in all those categories.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• balakoth wrote:Jville? Was that an attempt at sarcasm, trolling.. or did you clearly misunderstand it means 2021?

:34853_doh: It was me ........ misreading.

I some how thought of 21 personnel instead of reading 21 offense.

Apologies all around.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• Jville wrote:
    balakoth wrote:Jville? Was that an attempt at sarcasm, trolling.. or did you clearly misunderstand it means 2021?

Apologies all around.
    All good dudes!

I was just wondering out loud if what the team has done so far on offense side of the ball is enough to make Russ happy.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    Jville wrote:
    balakoth wrote:Jville? Was that an attempt at sarcasm, trolling.. or did you clearly misunderstand it means 2021?

Apologies all around.
    All good dudes!

I was just wondering out loud if what the team has done so far on offense side of the ball is enough to make Russ happy.

I'm not really concerned if he's happy; I want him to play well with a strong supporting cast. Wins will bring happiness, to Russ, to PnJ, to the whole team, to us.

Well, most of us. Some on here may never be happy. :?
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

I’ll bite.

Yes, if he wants to win the NFC West.

Yes, if wants to win an MVP.

And yes, if wants to win a ring, you know you gotta show up in the post-season.

And definitely yes after the first time in his career he more or less threw some of his team under the bus. Put up or shut up time.
    Last edited by Pandion Haliaetus on Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• We didn't have the cap room or picks in the draft to really overhaul things. There have been some upgrades, kept Carson. If they can grab a possession receiver / chain mover that will help a lot (or have the tight ends develop into this role). Are there any centers still out there or is that going to be a draft pick.

Ultimately I think a lot of if falls on what Shane Waldron is able to put in place with a playbook and play calling. The majority of the offence is returning and that offence shot the lights out early in the year. The 2 things that changed were o-line injuries and defences catching up. Nothing you can do about injuries but we need play calling and schemes that can be flexible to take advantage of defences. If they can do that and be successful Russ should be happy. The part of getting rid of the ball quicker to avoid hits is on him.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

Was going to say the same. Man he stunk last season (sarcasm). Sadly there are people that think he is the problem.

I dont think Russ is ecstatic with next years offense as its not going to change much. The people thinking Waldron is going to be some drastic change, miracle worker are going to be disappointed. The 'Russ isnt Happy' talk will dominate much of next season.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• HawkRiderFan wrote:We didn't have the cap room or picks in the draft to really overhaul things. There have been some upgrades, kept Carson. If they can grab a possession receiver / chain mover that will help a lot (or have the tight ends develop into this role). Are there any centers still out there or is that going to be a draft pick.

Ultimately I think a lot of if falls on what Shane Waldron is able to put in place with a playbook and play calling. The majority of the offence is returning and that offence shot the lights out early in the year. The 2 things that changed were o-line injuries and defences catching up. Nothing you can do about injuries but we need play calling and schemes that can be flexible to take advantage of defences. If they can do that and be successful Russ should be happy. The part of getting rid of the ball quicker to avoid hits is on him.

Arguably, the Seahawks just need an offense that can attack the middle of the field more and one that can mesh successfully with-in a deep passing attack and perhaps a more creative running attack that can scheme runners into space. If Waldron can reduce how defenses attack us with two deep safeties, stacked boxes, and the run blitzes that tend to handicap the pocket, then we should be able to field a consistently more successful more balanced attack that pleases all parties.

Gabe Jackson and Everett are huge in my opinion. The best, most consistent pass blocking guard we have had since Hutch. Still under 30. And a pretty solid all-around TE, not dominant, but a big piece of the puzzle for a team that will try to utilize 2 TEs into the attack more and a dude than can help shorten the learning curve for the new things Waldron will to implement going forward.

Time will tell. But honestly the excitement of the unknown seems better on paper than perhaps going into the season trying to force the same old thing. Bottom line, though we need someone in Waldron that can successfully adapt in a game whether if things are going well or bad, keep the offense from being predictable and stagnant and do so through Pete Carroll. Probably one of the hardest things Waldron will deal with.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• Pandion Haliaetus wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

I’ll bite.

Yes, if he wants to win the NFC West.

Yes, if wants to win an MVP.

And yes, if wants to win a ring, you know you gotta show up in the post-season.

And definitely yes after the first time in his career he more or less threw some of his team under the bus. Put up or shut up time.

Oh and again please tell me which teammates he through under the bus? He did not.
    The point is which you missed is he has been playing very very well.

as to play off so again being top 10 all time in QB rating in the playoffs is not enough. FYi that is 5+ point higher than Brady, 10 higher than Roesthesburger, 8 higher than Manning. So nice try like all QBs he has had some bad games but over all he has played very well in the playoffs.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• One of the biggest disappointments last year was not having anything at WR after DK and Lockett. That has not changed. This draft is deep at WR, but Hawks only have 3 picks. Hard to imagine the draft fixing this issue.

Jackson and Everett are nice adds that should pay dividends. Will Russ be happy? Who knows. I’m more curious as to how Shane Waldron operates during games.
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• nwHawk wrote:One of the biggest disappointments last year was not having anything at WR after DK and Lockett. That has not changed. This draft is deep at WR, but Hawks only have 3 picks. Hard to imagine the draft fixing this issue.

Jackson and Everett are nice adds that should pay dividends. Will Russ be happy? Who knows. I’m more curious as to how Shane Waldron operates during games.

exactly, that is going to be 1 of 3 questions that need answering on offense

1. OC
    2 oline
    3 3rd WR
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

Russ has set high standards for himself, lofty goals.

That's great.

Seems to me his goals are higher than "ranking in the top 10" in a handful of categories.

If he wants the personal and team goals to be realized, he is part of the solution, along with his teammates. He has to play better, especially from a consistency standpoint.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• What was Russ' season like once we started to see a lot of cover-2?

Complete simple concepts against cover-2 like a big boy, and check to run against light boxes like you're supposed to.

You know why DK was pissed?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

Russ has set high standards for himself, lofty goals.

That's great.

Seems to me his goals are higher than "ranking in the top 10" in a handful of categories.

If he wants the personal and team goals to be realized, he is part of the solution, along with his teammates. He has to play better, especially from a consistency standpoint.

Which is why he said he needs to play better but we should not take his incredible play for granted as I said only 3 qbs were top 10 in all those. 3 don't take it for granted
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:What was Russ' season like once we started to see a lot of cover-2?

Complete simple concepts against cover-2 like a big boy, and check to run against light boxes like you're supposed to.

Tell us why DK was pissed?

toffee
    NET Veteran

• 1. Russ needs to have a more balanced season.....no huge first half/tank second half and playoff game.
    2. Additions of Jackson on O-line, Everett at TE, Healthy Penny, Swain developing into a more dynamic #3
    3. Continuity on remaining O-line
    4. New OC

If Russ isn’t excited about the opportunity for this offense to be more dynamic then F him.
    Frozenropers
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:What was Russ' season like once we started to see a lot of cover-2?

That's really simple. There were a lot of occasions where DK was open on crossers, but Wilson was playing hero ball with deep passes elsewhere. It's not like he is going to go to the press about his best buddy. It is far easier to criticize the coaches with generic stuff that is already been said by others. The run run pass narrative is no where near true for last season. The last nine games where many are lamenting the return of "Peteball" and Pete "pulled the reins" there was only thirteen instances of run run pass and most of those were with us running out the clock. The receivers are sticking up for Wilson in the press, but I would guess that they have talked to Wilson about being open and him not looking to throw their way.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• BASF wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:What was Russ' season like once we started to see a lot of cover-2?

That's really simple. There were a lot of occasions where DK was open on crossers, but Wilson was playing hero ball with deep passes elsewhere. It's not like he is going to go to the press about his best buddy. It is far easier to criticize the coaches with generic stuff that is already been said by others. The run run pass narrative is no where near true for last season. The last nine games where many are lamenting the return of "Peteball" and Pete "pulled the reins" there was only thirteen instances of run run pass and most of those were with us running out the clock. The receivers are sticking up for Wilson in the press, but I would guess that they have talked to Wilson about being open and him not looking to throw their way.
    Hero ball also takes more seconds to develope, putting OL in difficult situations.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• He should be very happy with a younger, healthy and much better LG in Jackson. Our O-Line still needs a few player for depth and possibly a starter role at C and maybe OT. That I really hope is found in the draft coming soon!

Besides, the goal is to win the games and our new pass rush should help get our D off the field more often which should give Wilson more opportunities in games. I thing he is looking at the whole picture on both sides of the ball and ST.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• toffee wrote:

DK was pissed and if Tical had bothered to look for Dks interview you would know why and it was not Wilson. He was pissed at the system and the lack of adjustments he said it. But he did not. as an FYI after the bulls game were the 2 high thing started (a thing Wilson has seen before and shredded and the game was called to adjust to it, look at 2015)

SO just so we all know in the 2nd half ot the season when the 2 high safety thing happened here are some number

67% compt, 12 tds, 95 Qb rating yeah not exactly bad at all. Oh and he was our #2 rusher with most of that coming after game 8.

The biggest issues with the 2nd half was injuries on the oline and at RB

That said there are a few things that are inevitable

death, life, learning, taxes and tical coming out when its Wilson bashing time and disappearing when Wilson is playing well
    John63
    NET Veteran

• It remains to be seen what kind of offense we have.

But we are still left with the reality that our coach is a defensive-minded HC that is still stuck with the belief that time of possession matters as much as it once did.

The thing with KPIs is that they are often indicators. Focusing on them stretches the relationship between the indicator and the things they are supposedly indicators of. And so you get jacked up KPIs without the underlying results you are looking for.

Ultimately, the success of our offense is going to depend on Carroll preventing himself from meddling.

I think he is too old to learn at this point. So expecting change is probably foolish. We can hope for it, because that is all we can do. But we likely know the answer before we ask the question right now.

The world is not static but dynamic. Fixating on KPIs as the key to success is a sure route to failure as things change...and they always do.

At one point, In the NBA, you 'could not win a championship' without a great center. Now you don't even need centers.

At one point, no NBA team that was primarily a 3 point shooting team could win a championship. Nor could a run and gun offense, because 'things slowed down in the playoffs'. Now you cannot win a championship WITHOUT great 3 point shooting, and great 3 point shooting at a high clip.

In the NFL now,

Running the ball comes with so many negatives because the rules are tilted against you. One iffy holding call will utterly shut your drive down, because now it is 2nd and 20. Meanwhile, passing, 3rd and 20 is easily converted with just a 5 yd defensive holding penalty being called.

And even when it works, it doesn't. Because go to the playoffs running the ball regularly, get behind and start needing to throw the ball - and find out you struggle because you are trying to play a type of football you rarely used enough to get the execution down pat.

We always look good at the 3/4 mark. The key will be how we look in the final 1/4 and in the playoffs. For that, Carroll is going to have to learn to stop meddling. Can he? He seems too old to learn at this point.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:It remains to be seen what kind of offense we have.

But we are still left with the reality that our coach is a defensive-minded HC that is still stuck with the belief that time of possession matters as much as it once did.

The thing with KPIs is that they are often indicators. Focusing on them stretches the relationship between the indicator and the things they are supposedly indicators of. And so you get jacked up KPIs without the underlying results you are looking for.

Ultimately, the success of our offense is going to depend on Carroll preventing himself from meddling.

I think he is too old to learn at this point. So expecting change is probably foolish. We can hope for it, because that is all we can do. But we likely know the answer before we ask the question right now.

The world is not static but dynamic. Fixating on KPIs as the key to success is a sure route to failure as things change...and they always do.

At one point, In the NBA, you 'could not win a championship' without a great center. Now you don't even need centers.

At one point, no NBA team that was primarily a 3 point shooting team could win a championship. Nor could a run and gun offense, because 'things slowed down in the playoffs'. Now you cannot win a championship WITHOUT great 3 point shooting, and great 3 point shooting at a high clip.

In the NFL now,

Running the ball comes with so many negatives because the rules are tilted against you. One iffy holding call will utterly shut your drive down, because now it is 2nd and 20. Meanwhile, passing, 3rd and 20 is easily converted with just a 5 yd defensive holding penalty being called.

And even when it works, it doesn't. Because go to the playoffs running the ball regularly, get behind and start needing to throw the ball - and find out you struggle because you are trying to play a type of football you rarely used enough to get the execution down pat.

We always look good at the 3/4 mark. The key will be how we look in the final 1/4 and in the playoffs. For that, Carroll is going to have to learn to stop meddling. Can he? He seems too old to learn at this point.
    Can someone look up Wilson's stat on 3 steps drop throwing short passes ?

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:It remains to be seen what kind of offense we have.

In the NFL now,

Can someone look up Wilson's stat on 3 steps drop throwing short passes ?

The problem with what u want is YAC. I cam tell u on paid ESPN he actually does well on 3 step drops, and 7 step, nor as good on 5 step drops though. Most of his short passes come on 3 and 7 step drops
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

And when he wants the team to pay him, is he happy with the 9th highest salary? 8th? 7th? Even 2nd?

No, he wants to be the highest-paid, and at the time we sign him we make him the highest-paid. Not the 9th, or 8th, or 7th.

Wilson set the expectations with his salary demands. With that much capital tied up in one player, our hands are tied in free agency, and even extending players. So he has to do a lot himself, because that's the bed he made.

He needs to stop whining about getting hit more and work on how he can get the ball out faster, and he needs to stop whining about being traded and start playing like we pay him.

Somehow he expects us to turn the entire OL around in 2 years while hefting his massive salary and retaining the other offensive talent. Maybe he's good at being a QB, but he sucks at understanding the salary cap.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• The NFL banning 2 high safeties would make him happy as hell.
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    New OC
    Improvement in TE
    New LG

What do you guys think?

9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

And when he wants the team to pay him, is he happy with the 9th highest salary? 8th? 7th? Even 2nd?

No, he wants to be the highest-paid, and at the time we sign him we make him the highest-paid. Not the 9th, or 8th, or 7th.

Wilson set the expectations with his salary demands. With that much capital tied up in one player, our hands are tied in free agency, and even extending players. So he has to do a lot himself, because that's the bed he made.

He needs to stop whining about getting hit more and work on how he can get the ball out faster, and he needs to stop whining about being traded and start playing like we pay him.

Somehow he expects us to turn the entire OL around in 2 years while hefting his massive salary and retaining the other offensive talent. Maybe he's good at being a QB, but he sucks at understanding the salary cap.

They have had 9 years t :177692: o fix the oline. To include while Wilson was on a rookie contract and still nor fixed. As to the rest of your post all I can say is you are blissful for sure
    John63
    NET Veteran

• KiwiHawk wrote:And when he wants the team to pay him, is he happy with the 9th highest salary? 8th? 7th? Even 2nd?

The team could have restructured his contract (again) to help in signing other players but decided not to. Seems odd, doesnt it. This notion that Wilsons contract has the team hogtied is old and tiresome and not true.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:

9th in yards,
    7th in Qb rating
    8th in QBR
    2nd in TDs
    6th in Complt %
    7th in td/int ratio

They have had 9 years t :177692: o fix the oline. To include while Wilson was on a rookie contract and still nor fixed. As to the rest of your post all I can say is you are blissful for sure

The OL that existed when Wilson ended his rookie contract would not exist today, except maybe in fantasyland. Maybe if they were all drafted at the same time some of them might still be around, but it's unlikely since successful OL cost a lot of money to retain.

I'm counting the shift from Cable to Solari as an attempt to fix the OL, whereas you probably see it as "doing nothing", so I am starting the clock from Solari's hire since that's the fair thing to do.

Wilson has done nothing in the mean time to decrease his time-to-throw, by the way, which is 27th in the league. Naturally it's all on the OL that Solari wasn't even here for (but which has been improving SINCE Solari arrived), and none at all is to do with Wilson holding the ball too damn long.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:And when he wants the team to pay him, is he happy with the 9th highest salary? 8th? 7th? Even 2nd?

The team could have restructured his contract (again) to help in signing other players but decided not to. Seems odd, doesnt it. This notion that Wilsons contract has the team hogtied is old and tiresome and not true.

Is this something you heard some talking head say so you automatically think it's a magic bullet answer to all of our cap problems?

Have you worked out the numbers and seen what a restructuring actually does to the next two years?

Extending Wilson could potentially reduce his impact on our cap this year by $15 mil by converting that to a signing bonus and spreading it over the next two years.

However, his CURRENT numbers for those seasons are $37 and $39 million so restructuring would push them $5 million higher *each season*. It's not like the money just vanishes - you might restructure now but what about the future? And because most of that money is in bonuses, the Seahawks would be effectively prohibited from trading him because of all the dead money it would cause.

The Seahawks could work out an *extension* with Wilson, but he'd want another highest-paid QB deal, which gets back to the question of why he demands #1 pay for less-than-#1 statistics.

On the other hand if we keep his salary where it is this year, that gives us $10 million less dead money to eat if we do a trade next year.

As much as we all like Wilson, a trade will probably happen because his salary is increasingly hard for the team to bear, and because teams will throw large amounts of attractive draft picks at us to secure his services. This year is a "deep QB draft" but next year probably not so much, so his value on the trade block increases if anything.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:And when he wants the team to pay him, is he happy with the 9th highest salary? 8th? 7th? Even 2nd?

Is this something you heard some talking head say so you automatically think it's a magic bullet answer to all of our cap problems?

Have you worked out the numbers and seen what a restructuring actually does to the next two years?

Extending Wilson could potentially reduce his impact on our cap this year by $15 mil by converting that to a signing bonus and spreading it over the next two years.

However, his CURRENT numbers for those seasons are $37 and $39 million so restructuring would push them $5 million higher *each season*. It's not like the money just vanishes - you might restructure now but what about the future? And because most of that money is in bonuses, the Seahawks would be effectively prohibited from trading him because of all the dead money it would cause.

The Seahawks could work out an *extension* with Wilson, but he'd want another highest-paid QB deal, which gets back to the question of why he demands #1 pay for less-than-#1 statistics.

On the other hand if we keep his salary where it is this year, that gives us $10 million less dead money to eat if we do a trade next year.

As much as we all like Wilson, a trade will probably happen because his salary is increasingly hard for the team to bear, and because teams will throw large amounts of attractive draft picks at us to secure his services. This year is a "deep QB draft" but next year probably not so much, so his value on the trade block increases if anything.

The future? Why is anybody worried about the future? Carroll is a dinosaur and Wilson is in his prime. If a trade does happen after next season (which I believe there is a strong chance) the QB position is going to decrease greatly anyways so why not try to win now? Lets face it, Wilson is probably a top 3 QB in the league. With the crazy Adams trade, is this team not all in right now? Restructure Wilsons contract and sign some players to fix the holes and bite the bullet later. The butthurt over Wilsons contract is insane around here. A top tier QB in the league and a future HOFer and people act like he doesnt deserve the cash.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

The future? Why is anybody worried about the future? Carroll is a dinosaur and Wilson is in his prime. If a trade does happen after next season (which I believe there is a strong chance) the QB position is going to decrease greatly anyways so why not try to win now? Lets face it, Wilson is probably a top 3 QB in the league. With the crazy Adams trade, is this team not all in right now? Restructure Wilsons contract and sign some players to fix the holes and bite the bullet later. The butthurt over Wilsons contract is insane around here. A top tier QB in the league and a future HOFer and people act like he doesnt deserve the cash.

Its amazing how some like to believe the talking heads when it suits them but ignore them when it does not. I have looked at the numbers, and sure you can restructure his contract now and save some and then F.. your cap up next year this a fact. Also, as to getting players well lets see how many of our draft Picks have been even avg? very few, how many of the FAs they got have been avg very few. Oline has been garbage since PC got hear even when Wilson was on rookie contract and guess what little has changed. Wilson has redone his contract for cap relief twice he has shown he is willing to its up the FO to do it and by the way don't need Wilson's permission to redo it either, so you have a problem with it not being done again yet blame the FO. In the meantime enjoy what you got because it all could be gone next season if the FO F... up.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• Meanwhile, why are we are not hearing people blast Wags for not re-doing his deal???
    hmmmmm
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Meanwhile, why are we are not hearing people blast Wags for not re-doing his deal???
    hmmmmm

because wags fits the bill of a prototypical MLB. Because Wags is on defense and PC has done a great of making sure everyone knows only defense and running matters to him. I can go on but you get the idea.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Meanwhile, why are we are not hearing people blast Wags for not re-doing his deal???
    hmmmmm

Because the pre-season isn't over yet and not all moves have been made. BWs contract may yet be restructured or even extended with voidable years as is the current fad.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Not really my point but ok. Go Hawks
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• John63 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Its amazing how some like to believe the talking heads when it suits them but ignore them when it does not. I have looked at the numbers, and sure you can restructure his contract now and save some and then F.. your cap up next year this a fact. Also, as to getting players well lets see how many of our draft Picks have been even avg? very few, how many of the FAs they got have been avg very few. Oline has been garbage since PC got hear even when Wilson was on rookie contract and guess what little has changed. Wilson has redone his contract for cap relief twice he has shown he is willing to its up the FO to do it and by the way don't need Wilson's permission to redo it either, so you have a problem with it not being done again yet blame the FO. In the meantime enjoy what you got because it all could be gone next season if the FO F... up.

Wilson's contract can only be restructured without his permission. That means any money we save this year must be paid back next year or the one after. Those years are already almost $40 million each, and there's only two years to work with.

So it really would be a matter of winning this season only and then heading into a complete rebuilding period. The problem with that is something may not go your way. You might get a bad call in a critical game, or a key player might get injured, and you don't make the Super Bowl this year. Now you're all in for nothing and are back to the pre-Carroll days where playoffs were appreciated because they were pretty scarce.

I said then and I say now that I would rather be the team that everyone dreads to play week on week than have one season of glory followed by a decade of being mediocre. Maybe you don't remember the years when we weren't respected, but I sure do, and I never want to go back to that.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Is this something you heard some talking head say so you automatically think it's a magic bullet answer to all of our cap problems?

Wilson's contract can only be restructured without his permission. That means any money we save this year must be paid back next year or the one after. Those years are already almost $40 million each, and there's only two years to work with.

So it really would be a matter of winning this season only and then heading into a complete rebuilding period. The problem with that is something may not go your way. You might get a bad call in a critical game, or a key player might get injured, and you don't make the Super Bowl this year. Now you're all in for nothing and are back to the pre-Carroll days where playoffs were appreciated because they were pretty scarce.

I said then and I say now that I would rather be the team that everyone dreads to play week on week than have one season of glory followed by a decade of being mediocre. Maybe you don't remember the years when we weren't respected, but I sure do, and I never want to go back to that.

Screw respected, respect is what you give a team that tries hard.

I want the hate, being hated means your beating peoples asses and taking their chances away.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Meanwhile, why are we are not hearing people blast Wags for not re-doing his deal???
    hmmmmm

Because the pre-season isn't over yet and not all moves have been made. BWs contract may yet be restructured or even extended with voidable years as is the current fad.

well the same can be said of Wilson's too.
    John63
    NET Veteran

• John63 wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:Meanwhile, why are we are not hearing people blast Wags for not re-doing his deal???
    hmmmmm

well the same can be said of Wilson's too.

For restructure, Wagner would free up around 5.5 million this season and have a dead cap figure of 10 million if cut next year if cut or traded.

Wilson would free up 12 million and would have around 40 million dead cap next year (if cut/traded).

As you can see, Wilson becomes prohibitively expensive to restructure if trading him is in the cards. We have yet to see how he will perform with Waldron as his OC, so it would be wise to wait and have less cap hit for potentially making a trade.

A for extending, Wagner is not likely to remain productive at his current level for another 4-5 years, and he knows that. Any contract given would reflect that. 12-15 mil average per year would be appropriate.

With Wilson, he can be expected to produce at his current level through his next contract and beyond if he plans to play into his 40's. His will be demanding to be the highest-paid QB so plan for something on the order of $46 million average per year over 4-5 years.

As much as you want to equate them, those two salaries and potential for restructure and/or extension are light-years apart. And like it or not, Wilson WILL be demanding near $50 million average per year for his next deal, which would probably be best paid by another team unless Wilson wants to back up his #1 salary demands with #1 play on the field.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Whatever the team needs to do to move around some money, I'm all for it. The players are not losing any money, they would just have money moved. It works out just fine for both sides.
    But this constant Russ needs to take less money if he wants to win is a ridiculous argument. The league is full is high $ players who could do the exact same thing. And to equate a big salary with not wanting to win? Now THAT is funny. But that's what I expect from this place, over and over again.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• KiwiHawk wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    KiwiHawk wrote:Is this something you heard some talking head say so you automatically think it's a magic bullet answer to all of our cap problems?

Pre-Carroll days with scarce playoff appearances is right around the corner anyways so why not try to win it all while Wilson is still here and in his prime? The fact that the team isnt is a big reason why Wilson will probably leave anyways. If the team won another Super Bowl, I could care less how respected they were afterwards. Give me a Super Bowl and fall into mediocrity afterwards and i'm fine with that. Sounds a lot better than just making the playoffs and never advancing past the 2nd round.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:Pre-Carroll days with scarce playoff appearances is right around the corner anyways so why not try to win it all while Wilson is still here and in his prime? The fact that the team isnt is a big reason why Wilson will probably leave anyways. If the team won another Super Bowl, I could care less how respected they were afterwards. Give me a Super Bowl and fall into mediocrity afterwards and i'm fine with that. Sounds a lot better than just making the playoffs and never advancing past the 2nd round.

We already won a super bowl. You got your wish. So, using your words, be fine with it.

Everything now is gravy, right?
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• A head coach that does not respect offense, cannot gameplan, and refuses to prioritize scoring TDs is going to be an issue no matter who your OC is.

So yes, I think it can be stated as an absolute that by 3/4 point of the season we will go into the same shell we always do...regardless of OC.

If the OC can manage to produce despite an aging decrepit hasbeen head coach holding him back? Then he is spectacular and we got incredibly lucky.

But I think we all know this is unlikely.

Asking for a SB is a bit much. But it would be nice to not be a laughingstock in the playoffs once the wildcard games are over.

Maybe even win a single divisional playoff game, considering we have the greatest QB the Seahawks ever had and one of the better rosters in the league. Just a thin hope.

I doubt Wilson will be happy because Wilson wants playoff wins. He won't get them here because the problem is less the OC than the person running the show. Wilson is starting to realize that.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Pre-Carroll days with scarce playoff appearances is right around the corner anyways so why not try to win it all while Wilson is still here and in his prime? The fact that the team isnt is a big reason why Wilson will probably leave anyways. If the team won another Super Bowl, I could care less how respected they were afterwards. Give me a Super Bowl and fall into mediocrity afterwards and i'm fine with that. Sounds a lot better than just making the playoffs and never advancing past the 2nd round.

We already won a super bowl. You got your wish. So, using your words, be fine with it.

Not while we still have Wilson. With a QB of that cailber, the team should at least be an honest threat for the Super Bowl, but the head coach holds them back, so they havent been for a long time now. Thats why i'm saying the heck with the future and sign the pieces or players that can push the team over the top despite Carrolls interference. Just like the talent of the 2013 team. Sign the talent now and deal with the cap hell later. The current path is obviously not working. Seattle is the team that other teams look forward to playing in the playoffs because they know the likelihood of winning is high. The Hawks scare nobody anymore. If and when Wilson bolts (strong possibility because he's tired of the current path too) the Seahawks are going to fall into mediocrity anyways. Thats why i'm saying to throw all the chips in even if means throwing chips in you dont even have. With the current head coach, I see no other choice.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    Ad Hawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:Pre-Carroll days with scarce playoff appearances is right around the corner anyways so why not try to win it all while Wilson is still here and in his prime? The fact that the team isnt is a big reason why Wilson will probably leave anyways. If the team won another Super Bowl, I could care less how respected they were afterwards. Give me a Super Bowl and fall into mediocrity afterwards and i'm fine with that. Sounds a lot better than just making the playoffs and never advancing past the 2nd round.

Not while we still have Wilson. With a QB of that cailber, the team should at least be an honest threat for the Super Bowl, but the head coach holds them back, so they havent been for a long time now. Thats why i'm saying the heck with the future and sign the pieces or players that can push the team over the top despite Carrolls interference. Just like the talent of the 2013 team. Sign the talent now and deal with the cap hell later. The current path is obviously not working. Seattle is the team that other teams look forward to playing in the playoffs because they know the likelihood of winning is high. The Hawks scare nobody anymore. If and when Wilson bolts (strong possibility because he's tired of the current path too) the Seahawks are going to fall into mediocrity anyways. Thats why i'm saying to throw all the chips in even if means throwing chips in you dont even have. With the current head coach, I see no other choice.

We could win one more with Russ, and all of your arguments could still apply after that.

I just doubt you'll ever be happy. History speaks volumes, right? So do your posts.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information