Making cents of the Jamal Adams trade

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Long read, but a very good article breaking everything down.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/1376634261923577856[/tweet]

$83,018
No, I didn’t forget any zeroes or any commas.

Eighty-three thousand eighteen dollars and zero cents.

That is the exact dollar difference - from a cash flow perspective - for the 2020 and 2021 seasons - between Seattle trading for Jamal Adams last offseason or not trading for Jamal Adams last offseason.

Eighty-three thousand . . . and change.

Intrigued?

First, let’s revisit “The Trade”
Just to refresh everyone’s memory - and to define which parts of the trade are “relevant” for this article . . .

New York gets (got):

Seattle’s 2021 first-round draft pick
Seattle’s 2021 third-round pick
Seattle’s 2022 first-round pick
Safety Bradley McDougald

Seattle gets (got):

Safety Jamal Adams
New York’s 2022 fourth-round draft pick
The pieces of that trade that are relevant for this article:

Jamal Adams
Bradley McDougald
The 2021 first-round draft pick (#23 overall)
The 2022 third-round draft pick (#86 overall)

The pieces of the trade that are NOT relevant for this article:

The 2022 first-round draft pick that Seattle sent to the Jets
The 2022 fourth-round draft pick that the Jets sent to Seattle
NOTE: Both of these draft picks clearly are relevant and both clearly impact how people feel about the trade (the 1st round pick more than the 4th round pick, obviously). But both are also huge UNKNOWNS right now so they’re excluded from the analysis.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/3/29/22 ... raft-picks

irfuben32

Reaction score
I didn't read the article but my overall feeling is that I would rather have Bradley McDougald and the draft picks.

I like Jamal Adams but I just don't feel he was the dominant force I was expecting. 8.5 sacks is pretty great but that is a lot of blitzing. How many big plays because we got burned when Adams was blitzing?

The dudes good, I just don't think he is a 2 first round draft pick upgrade over McDougald.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been less impressed by a completely true but pointless argument.

To save people the click, according to the author not having our first round pick this year saves the team $7.7m in cash flow (not cap) which offsets most of Adams's salary this year. Combined with the savings of not having our third round pick, it makes the Adams trade close to neutral from a pure cash flow perspective.

Why on earth would that matter? Cash flow impacts have to be at the very bottom of the list of considerations for a wealthy ownership group such as ours. In fact, they are likely given no weight whatsoever.

nwHawk

Reaction score
What could have been if Blair didn’t get injured...

The window to win is now.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
nwHawk":299klvng said:
What could have been if Blair didn’t get injured...

The window to win is now.
When does the window become detrimental and you start forfeiting tomorrow for a shot at today? Looking at this draft, with only three picks and a lot of players gonna be gone at the end of this next season doesn't bode much confidence in selling out the future for an extra win or two (and no significant playoff progression) during the now.

ivotuk

Reaction score
AgentDib":2nfzpab8 said:
I don't think I've ever been less impressed by a completely true but pointless argument.

To save people the click, according to the author not having our first round pick this year saves the team $7.7m in cash flow (not cap) which offsets most of Adams's salary this year. Combined with the savings of not having our third round pick, it makes the Adams trade close to neutral from a pure cash flow perspective.

Why on earth would that matter? Cash flow impacts have to be at the very bottom of the list of considerations for a wealthy ownership group such as ours. In fact, they are likely given no weight whatsoever.

There's this thing in the NFL, that keeps teams even...it's called the "Salary Cap." Doesn't matter how rich your owner is, they can only spend ~$184 million this year.

Back to the article, shouldn't he have written "the 2021 3rd Round Pick.?" Or, how could he possibly know what number our 2022 3rd pick is at> What if we win the SuperB Owl? Wouldn't that be #96?

Seattle gets (got):

Safety Jamal Adams
New York’s 2022 fourth-round draft pick
The pieces of that trade that are relevant for this article:

Jamal Adams
Bradley McDougald
The 2021 first-round draft pick (#23 overall)
The 2022 third-round draft pick (#86 overall)

AgentDib

Reaction score
Except the entire point is that he's not talking about the salary cap. He is only talking about cash flow, ie. out of pocket spending from teams in the current year. That only matters in rare exceptions like the Raiders/Bengals, and certainly not for the Seahawks.

Because the signing bonus is prorated over 4 seasons, the 2021 cap hit is lower, but the actual CASH FLOW for pick #23 is $7,726,308 in 2021.

This is just as useful to the Seahawks as pointing out that Adams has a shorter name which saves time on data entry.

xray

Reaction score
irfuben32":1tviwt77 said:
I didn't read the article but my overall feeling is that I would rather have Bradley McDougald and the draft picks.

I like Jamal Adams but I just don't feel he was the dominant force I was expecting. 8.5 sacks is pretty great but that is a lot of blitzing. How many big plays because we got burned when Adams was blitzing?

The dudes good, I just don't think he is a 2 first round draft pick upgrade over McDougald.
^
My thoughts too .

iigakusei

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3b7ivlul said:
All Adams did was make plays. Yeah, what a horrible guy to have on the team :?
I like Adams as a player, but JS/PC got absolutely fleeced in that trade.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The homers, like myself, think it may have been a somewhat expensive trade to acquire Adams, but the team got a legitimate All Pro player as a result. The negative folks think JS/PC got fleeced by the Jets. On that difference there is little middle ground. However, if Adams continues his high level of play the team made a good choice as the got a difference maker at a position of need even if it was expensive.

The Jets of course will draft another 1st round QB with their 2nd pick in the first round, and that QB will be the 2nd early first round pick for them in 3 drafts spent on a QB and then they'll pick some guy with the Hawks pick at 23. Will either be assured to be a player that will be an All Pro player for each one of his seasons in the NFL? I somehow doubt it.

Who won then?

This article was interesting fun with figures but doesn't really address some of the concerns about a potential new and expensive contract, or the cap consequences from the trade.

gobosgumbo518

Reaction score
So if we were to keep those draft picks then we would have to cut players to make room for them on the roster. So add the total salaries of the players needed to be cut and ADD that to your 83k total.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
iigakusei":d49iwl3g said:

Agreed. I didn't read the article, but in the end, the only thing that matters is is Adams worth the massive investment. I'm not sure he is. Actually, to me, he absolutely is not.

The Hawks gave up a 2021 1st and 3rd (already low on draft picks), a 2022 1st, and a very serviceable starting safety. Plus, they traded for Diggs and drafted Blair last year. PLUS, they need to sign him to an extremely large extension. And if they don't? Well....

All that for a box safety and a 4th rounder. I'm sorry, but that is asinine. Sure Adams is an "all-pro", the best part of his game is his run support and blitzing abilities. I've said it before, but if that's how they want to use him, they might as well move him to OLB. What's the point in having him as a piece of a VERY weak secondary? He's not great in coverage.

Only the hardcore Pete and John truthers will say it's a great trade. It absolutely was not a great trade for Seattle. If New York plays their cards right and nail the picks from Seattle, they win that trade every single time. And before anyone disputes that fact, tell me again how good of a trade it was when you know damn well that Seattle will most likely need to dish out the largest safety contract in history to keep him. That hurts. Especially when he isn't even worth that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":15zl4sks said:
iigakusei":15zl4sks said:

Agreed. I didn't read the article, but in the end, the only thing that matters is is Adams worth the massive investment. I'm not sure he is. Actually, to me, he absolutely is not.

The Hawks gave up a 2021 1st and 3rd (already low on draft picks), a 2022 1st, and a very serviceable starting safety. Plus, they traded for Diggs and drafted Blair last year. PLUS, they need to sign him to an extremely large extension. And if they don't? Well....

All that for a box safety and a 4th rounder. I'm sorry, but that is asinine. Sure Adams is an "all-pro", the best part of his game is his run support and blitzing abilities. I've said it before, but if that's how they want to use him, they might as well move him to OLB. What's the point in having him as a piece of a VERY weak secondary? He's not great in coverage.

Only the hardcore Pete and John truthers will say it's a great trade. It absolutely was not a great trade for Seattle. If New York plays their cards right and nail the picks from Seattle, they win that trade every single time. And before anyone disputes that fact, tell me again how good of a trade it was when you know damn well that Seattle will most likely need to dish out the largest safety contract in history to keep him. That hurts. Especially when he isn't even worth that.

Yet when we were getting burnt and not stopping teams you all were saying how our secondary sucks and that Thompson was the cause, we got Diggs and then it was we don't have a SS that can hold up against the run.

We also heard the complaining about no pass rush, well Adams can play the run and pass rush if asked, he also did it with two messed up shoulders and broken fingers on his hands. Is he suppose to leap tall Lineman in a single bound and stop a speeding WR at the same time also.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
chris98251":2ihxyd7s said:
Thepeelsessions":2ihxyd7s said:
iigakusei":2ihxyd7s said:

Yet when we were getting burnt and not stopping teams you all were saying how our secondary sucks and that Thompson was the cause, we got Diggs and then it was we don't have a SS that can hold up against the run.

We also heard the complaining about no pass rush, well Adams can play the run and pass rush if asked, he also did it with two messed up shoulders and broken fingers on his hands. Is he suppose to leap tall Lineman in a single bound and stop a speeding WR at the same time also.

A few things here, Chris. First of all, our secondary did suck and so did Tedric. In fact, all of Pete and John's investments into the secondary have sucked since the LOB was blown up, save for Diggs, McDougald, and Blair (keeping Adams out if this one).

Second of all, Adams is a fine player, absolutely. But that doesn't mean you need to mortgage your future away to get him. I can only think of a handful of safeties who are worth that kind of investment, and Adams is not one of them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":14e3uia4 said:
chris98251":14e3uia4 said:
Thepeelsessions":14e3uia4 said:
iigakusei":14e3uia4 said:

A few things here, Chris. First of all, our secondary did suck and so did Tedric. In fact, all of Pete and John's investments into the secondary have sucked since the LOB was blown up, save for Diggs, McDougald, and Blair (keeping Adams out if this one).

Second of all, Adams is a fine player, absolutely. But that doesn't mean you need to mortgage your future away to get him. I can only think of a handful of safeties who are worth that kind of investment, and Adams is not one of them.

How many players are here from our Super Bowl, I will save you the time, Wagner and Wilson, that is it.

We churn through players like it's nobody's business, where and is the last first rounder that has made a major impact on our team last picked?

We are used to not having impact guys in the first round, Pete trades higher picks back also to save dollars and gain more picks after the first year.

beastalamode

Reaction score
Everyone should remember that all first round picks are not equal, especially after we saw how many firsts the niners traded away to move up 9 spots.

That being said, this trade seems to have aged poorly.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I really, really like Adams as a player, despite his weaknesses. BUT, he ain't superman and I think he has a long tall ladder to climb to have the positive impact we might have achieved with 2 firsts and a 3rd. The money is kind of irrelevant.

chris98251

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2y725cn4 said:
I really, really like Adams as a player, despite his weaknesses. BUT, he ain't superman and I think he has a long tall ladder to climb to have the positive impact we might have achieved with 2 firsts and a 3rd. The money is kind of irrelevant.

Germain Ifedi
Rashaad Penny
James Carpenter
Aaron Curry
Lawrence Jackson

Those are part of the actual picks we have made in the last 10 years.

How much positive impacts did they have or are having so far.