Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now that the offseason and free agency has moved along.....

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • How you feeling? Im especially interested in the chicken little sky is falling folks who were freaking out after the first day or two of free agency.

Since what day 3 or maybe even 4 we've:

Traded for a serious upgrade at LG in Jackson and extended him
    Resigned Mayowa
    Resigned Dunlap
    Signed Everett
    Cut Reed
    Redid Locketts deal
    Signed Witherspoon
    Resigned Poona
    Resigned Pocic, Simmons and Ogbueye (can't spell his name for the life of me)

Edit: How the heck did I forget resigned Carson
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• All things considered I am quite ecstatic with our free agency signings. Would have loved to land some of the upper echelon OL that were available momentarily but wasn't financially feasible at this time, but love Jackson, he will be great for us.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• One of the things I still like about Pete is the way he runs free agency. Though even that can likely use a tweak. It seems as often as not the team is left with a glaring hole going into the season that requires a trade involving entirely too much draft capital.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• There are very few good NFL teams who improve in March. The 2021 Seahawks are 1 of them.
    flv
    NET Rookie

• JS > fans who freak out every year, instead of letting these guys do their jobs.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• This is the first FA period for several years that was a very strong win in my book! We didn't reach, but made very strategic FA signings and a great trade for an OG. We are now set up well for our few draft picks and can still bring in a few more FA's, if needed.

You have to give them credit, when it's due! :irishdrinkers:

I would like to see KJ re-signed and Sherman come back home. That is if the money can be worked out. :2thumbs:
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Need to sign some guys in the secondary, one more LB, and a WR3. Overall its been pretty good.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• It's been a fantastic offseason. They retained the guys they needed to, and at significant discount in the case of Dunlap. Signed Carson for below expected market. Got an absolute STEAL on Hyder's contract.

They adjusted big-time towards voidable years at the RIGHT time to take advantage of the imminent large cap rise.

It's been a good one.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:How you feeling? Im especially interested in the chicken little sky is falling folks who were freaking out after the first day or two of free agency.

Since what day 3 or maybe even 4 we've:

Traded for a serious upgrade at LG in Jackson and extended him
    Resigned Mayowa
    Resigned Dunlap
    Signed Everett
    Cut Reed
    Redid Locketts deal
    Signed Witherspoon
    Resigned Poona
    Resigned Pocic, Simmons and Ogbueye (can't spell his name for the life of me)

Edit: How the heck did I forget resigned Carson

Hyder is also worth mentioning. Big boost to the line, thought, losing Reed does hurt a little but cap room needed to be made. I'm interested after the smoke clears in a couple days, how much cap room we have left or how much more needs to be made in order to get another corner (maybe Sherman or Dunbar), a WR3 (AB, Tate, Westbrook or Stills) and resign KJ Wright.
    dutchcoug
    NET Veteran

• I'm 70% happy with the moves so far, especially Jackson and bringing back Dunlap.

I still need a DB, LB and WR3 signing to truly feel like this is a successful off season, because we have very few picks to fill some major starting positions.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• I would feel a lot better if they would have signed a good center. I think the Everett signing was a waste of money too.

Still giving them a C so far.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Too much scotch taping of the roster as per usual. But this year it was necessary due to the cap and the Wilson situation. B- grade. Need a 3rd Wideout, Need to upgrade Center, Need to find another RB in the draft that can stay healthy. Need a LT of the future, Need a kick and punt returner. Need another corner, Need to upgrade the 3T position.

The roster still needs a lot of work.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Sucks they didn't/couldn't get Haason Reddik for the price he went for. Seems perfect for the Irvin role.

Sherman, Geno Atkins, Tate/AB, and KJ are probably the best free agents available for the positions of need. Sign them please.

If they can trade Adams to get back a 1st round pick, and open extra cap space, that would be great.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• I have to wonder, will the Hawks play a bunch of 4-2-5 this season?
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• We don't need a third WR we have Swain and Ursua that will make as much impact as anyone signed that has to learn the system and catch up.

You don't need size and big speed in the Rams offense you need to catch the damn ball and get YAC, Ursua and Sewain can do that.

Center will be fine if they run the Rams offense, need more mobility and Pocic has that.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Center will be fine if they run the Rams offense, need more mobility and Pocic has that.

Will it though? Funny how this is the only signing that Russ didnt congratulate. Its an area of concern.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Center will be fine if they run the Rams offense, need more mobility and Pocic has that.

Will it though? Funny how this is the only signing that Russ didnt congratulate. Its an area of concern.
    He obviously doesn’t like him. He threw his online under the bus and I hope they play amazing this year. And then if Russ does the same second half crash then who is he going to blame. We should start betting on who Russ will blame for his failures this coming season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

• HawkinNY wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Center will be fine if they run the Rams offense, need more mobility and Pocic has that.

He obviously doesn’t like him. He threw his online under the bus and I hope they play amazing this year. And then if Russ does the same second half crash then who is he going to blame. We should start betting on who Russ will blame for his failures this coming season.

He's put up HOF numbers since he's been here with awful offensive lines. He wont be the issue.

The Oline needed a LG and C upgrade and Pete only addressed one of them. Its almost as if he half-assed it on purpose. Its like telling Russ 'I'll give you some of want you want, but not all of it' just to see how far he can push it.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    HawkinNY wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

He's put up HOF numbers since he's been here with awful offensive lines. He wont be the issue.

The Oline needed a LG and C upgrade and Pete only addressed one of them. Its almost as if he half-assed it on purpose. Its like telling Russ 'I'll give you some of want you want, but not all of it' just to see how far he can push it.

Really we need 56 First round picks to fill all our real needs and have the right level of depth, Trade Wilson for 56 first rounders.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'd be ok with trading Russ for 56 first rounders.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• I don't get it. They lost some good players in Shaq, Jarran, etc and picked up a couple of good players in the new guard apaer Hyder but on paper i do not see much of any improvement. Resigning your own players does not constitute as an improvement as they already were on the team last year.

Only way we get better is coaching philosophy, that's it.

My vote is no net change.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• seabowl wrote:I don't get it. They lost some good players in Shaq, Jarran, etc and picked up a couple of good players in the new guard apaer Hyder but on paper i do not see much of any improvement. Resigning your own players does not constitute as an improvement as they already were on the team last year.

Can't believe I forgot about Hyder in my OP, he's one of the main reasons I'm happy.

Couple of things, this team was 12-4 and won the toughest division in football last year. We do not need to move mountains to be better.

I do disagree that signing back your guys shouldn't could. I'm not asking about this team vs last years, I'm asking about how the totality of FA played out.

I personally like Swain as a WR3 - but I guarantee you JS/PC are going to be heavily active in the UDFA WR market. We've had great success there in the past. No reason to not try and dip our toes back in that water.

Losing Jarran hurts, but Mike Garafalo said on NFL network that Reed lost Millions of dollars in the end. Seattle went to him, wanting to restructure basically moving money to bonus. Reed declined saying he wanted ANOTHER extension (we just extended him last year)_ We declined, and ultimately dropped him to get the cap relief we were looking for. Dumb move on his part.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• They did about as well as they could have under the constraints they had to operate with. That being said, this is still a 10-6/11-5 team that gets eliminated in the first round. Waldron and our offensive philosophy will be the deciding factor IMO.
    ducks41468
    NET Veteran

• ducks41468 wrote:They did about as well as they could have under the constraints they had to operate with. That being said, this is still a 10-6/11-5 team that gets eliminated in the first round. Waldron and our offensive philosophy will be the deciding factor IMO.

Little early for such proclamations isn't it?

I mean look at how chaotic last year was and we still won the toughest division in football with 12 wins.

I mean we had the no pace WORST defense in history the first half of the year. Then the second half of the year our offense was complete garbage.

If we can just find a nice comfortable middle ground. I like our chances again.
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• Every team of every year is unique as is this off season with it's free agency. A unique story is written every year.

Free agency during this off season isn't over. John Schneider isn't done yet. There is more to come as the new roster continues to take shape.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• seabowl wrote:I don't get it. They lost some good players in Shaq, Jarran, etc and picked up a couple of good players in the new guard apaer Hyder but on paper i do not see much of any improvement. Resigning your own players does not constitute as an improvement as they already were on the team last year.

Resigning your own players is an improvement if the alternative (and it is) is to lose them.

Is this team better with Carson and Dunlap or without them?
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• For me, Mono e Mono comparisons aren't very useful. I see the changes in both scheme and personnel from year to year and game to game. The defense made a big scheme change and supporting personnel in going from a 4-3 dominate front in 2019 to more in the way of a 4-2 dominate front in 2020. Different emphasis require changes in personnel. By mid 2020, player communication came together and the defense finished on a good note. Making adjustments will continue as this new defense evolves with it's changes in personnel and tendencies.

In 2021, fans of the offense should expect similar changes made possible by a personnel change here and there. The Shane Waldron era is on it way!

I don't understand what it is that is so difficult to follow along from season to season and from year to year. But I do understand why Seahawk opponents for 2021 are following along and making changes to how they are going to compete.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

• The optimists and the pessimists are clearly defined here by their views.

I am one of former, and think given where the team started FA they have done well so far. The picture is incomplete and the consensus is they are still a way away from being done. I still want to see an experienced CB added and eventually a #3 WR, C, and developmental OT added. It's actually still early and the team building involves many phases the early part of the marathon has gone passably well.

It is clear that the OLine will still be a focus and depth at C and developmental LT are long term needs, and this draft will allow the potential of the addition of a player or two. We'll see.

I say so far so good, the players returned and added will allow the team to remain a competitive team in a tough division.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Jville wrote:For me, Mono e Mono comparisons aren't very useful.
    Since mono means monkey (as opposed to mano = hand) I think it's very useful on this board. :lol:

Overall I'm pleased with our free agency. We've made good cap cuts and broke the cycle of competition without a clear winner on both our lines.

Of secondary importance, I think we're still ahead in the compensation pick game:
    Up: Witherspoon, Hyder, and Everett
    Down: Griffin, Moore, Hollister, Dunbar, Bullard, Hyde

Since Jackson was a trade, we should have 1 or 2 picks coming next year. Correct?
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

• We look a lot better than expected.

Without Carson and Dunlap we would have been at the bottom of the NFC West.

With those back, and then Hyder and some of the other FAs - we should be #2 or #3 which is better than you could expect.

And with the 49ers deciding they may or may not have a QB, they probably drop to #2 or #3 as well...so we will likely have to fight it out with them to decide who gets the higher slot.

With the weaker schedule now and the lower bar to making the playoffs - we probably have a 70-80% chance of getting a playoff slot. That is much better than it looked. Without Carson and Dunlap, we probably miss the playoffs entirely.

Could be much worse.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:28 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information