The "he could do a job for us" FA thread

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Who is still out there in FA that would make the Seahawks stronger? Who you got?

I think Aldon Smith still has to be on the FOs radar after talks of trading for him last year. I also wonder about Daquan Jones as a more leftfield signing. DB is still a bit shaky for me and in the spirit of the thread could Casey Hayward do a job for us. I think most would like to see Sherm come back however.

I also think we need a WR3 for some really solid depth and I wonder looking at the FA options whether this gets looked at in the draft even though we are usually awful with receivers in the 4th round.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2yj2vkoy said:
Who is still out there in FA that would make the Seahawks stronger? Who you got?

I think Aldon Smith still has to be on the FOs radar after talks of trading for him last year. I also wonder about Daquan Jones as a more leftfield signing. DB is still a bit shaky for me and in the spirit of the thread could Casey Hayward do a job for us. I think most would like to see Sherm come back however.

I also think we need a WR3 for some really solid depth and I wonder looking at the FA options whether this gets looked at in the draft even though we are usually awful with receivers in the 4th round.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Gareon Conley here.

I really want to see how Swain develops. He was a pleasant surprise last year.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Geno Atkins, DT. Would be great in a rotation with the beefy guys we have. Plus pass rushers from him still.

A CB and a LB for depth would be nice.

OP
OP
UK_Seahawk

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":163z0p8q said:
UK_Seahawk":163z0p8q said:

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see Gareon Conley here.

I really want to see how Swain develops. He was a pleasant surprise last year.

Conley is a decent shout, very highly rated coming out of college if memory serves.

My only knock on Swain is his physicality with blocking but maybe I'm making too much of that awful Wilson pick six against the Rams.

kf3339

Reaction score
The pickings are getting thin. I don't see us doing anything until the draft, or shortly after. Our needs are not that great right now. Perhaps OT,OC, WR, DT, LB and CB are the only areas I can think of right now. None of them are worth over paying for a vet right now.

If I was to pick one, it would be Sherman. His veteran presence and ability to coach on the sidelines and field would be really helpful for our young CB's.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I still think another center is badly needed. Russ wanted the Oline fixed and Jackson at LG was the only move. Russ not commenting on the Pocic resign spoke mountains to me. He isnt happy with that. I think Austin Reiter is still out there and he's a good pass blocker. I would bring him in.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Frozenropers":20yx7v3w said:

For depth? How bout for starting? Right now our starting outside LB is Ben Burr-Kirven and starting CB's are Tre Flowers and Witherspoon or DJ Reed.

Priority #1 right now for the draft and remaining free agency is CB's, CB's and more CB's.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2aszfd0y said:
Frozenropers":2aszfd0y said:

For depth? How bout for starting? Right now our starting outside LB is Ben Burr-Kirven and starting CB's are Tre Flowers and Witherspoon or DJ Reed.

Priority #1 right now for the draft and remaining free agency is CB's, CB's and more CB's.
You don't think Barton would start before Burr-Kirven?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":135jcwch said:
Sgt. Largent":135jcwch said:
Frozenropers":135jcwch said:

You don't think Barton would start before Burr-Kirven?

I'm just going by who's where on the official depth chart right now.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SEA

My point is I don't want either of them starting.

Rat

Reaction score
I'd be happy to bring in Mitchell Schwartz. I was under the impression that he was far from washed.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kwydewc said:
Frozenropers":3kwydewc said:

Yes for depth. Despite what the .com site says during the offseason Reed is our starting RCB, and Witherspoon was acquired to be the LCB or at minimum, compete for that position.

Barton would start at LB before BBK, IMO.....as he has in the past.

So depth at those position I think is needed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Frozenropers":33u6hdhx said:
Sgt. Largent":33u6hdhx said:
Frozenropers":33u6hdhx said:

Yes for depth. Despite what the .com site says during the offseason Reed is our starting RCB, and Witherspoon was acquired to be the LCB or at minimum, compete for that position.

Barton would start at LB before BBK, IMO.....as he has in the past.

So depth at those position I think is needed.

I would not be comfortable with either of those scenarios for starting CB or an undersized slow LB like Barton at the starting outside LB position.

So sure, add depth, but if we go into the season with this scenario? It's going to be trouble. I want to see our first pick on a top CB to compete and develop, and I want to see another veteran outside LB brought in to also compete.

Hopefully we'll resign KJ for cheap, but until that happens that's a most definite position of need.

olyfan63

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3bb4co8b said:
Thepeelsessions":3bb4co8b said:
UK_Seahawk":3bb4co8b said:

--snip--

My only knock on Swain is his physicality with blocking but maybe I'm making too much of that awful Wilson pick six against the Rams.

That whole play was just a fuster cluck and a symptom of Schotty predictability and bad play design/coaching. Swain would have no problem making the block on that DB, but it was a mental error. Possibly he also was worried about PI being called if he blocks while ball is in the air. Rookie mistake.

I'm instead gonna rank it...

1) Schitty play design by Schotty, too predictable, as evidenced by Rams reading it. Shades of SB49... Carroll sure can pick the predictable OCs who get exposed in high-stakes settings. Fingers crossed on new one...

2a) Poor decision by Russ, and maybe play didn't have an option B, so back to schitty by Schotty
2b) Mental error by Swain, not recognizing player needing block, being confused, back to schitty coaching by Schotty, not preparing players for the different scenarios they might see from a D on that play

17) Lack of Swain's physicality in blocking... well, first you have to attempt to block and make contact, before you can get pancaked by a defender. So the jury is out on Swain's physicality/willingness/effectiveness at blocking. But, I see no reason a better-coached Swain couldn't block as well as say, Doug Baldwin.

P.S. I like Swain overall and think he's a keeper who will continue to improve. Recall Baldwin flashed as a rookie, but IIRC it took Golden Tate until his 3rd year to "get it" at the NFL level. Swain's rookie year seems behind Baldwin but ahead of Tate.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I would love Richard Sherman to come back.
We need a starting caliber corner. He's familiar with the system. He'll tell Norton to get lost of needed.

Seems logical to me

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I am a bit learly of certain free agent once they hit 30 something years old depending on the position they play.

Geno Atkins has been talked about a lot, I’m no Bengals fan, but how has he faired in the past several seasons?

I know he made a name for himself his early years in the league but he can play at a high level again?

If so, a contract for him as to be team friendly, of course.

I also want to see young guys get some playing time to help them develop and adding a veteran free agent will reduce snaps. Unless they are rotational type, cheap guys, I really don’t see the need to collect a group of veteran players that are at the end of their careers with their best football behind them. Better to play the young guys now and develop them. Their potential may get squandered if you pay a vet and have him play a bunch of snaps over a young up and comer.