Off season talk - Cody Barton

toffee

Reaction score
Our 3rd round pick two years ago, can he possibly become a starter?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think he's capable enough to start... just not start very well on a consistent basis. Good enough depth player, though, for sure.

Own The West

Reaction score
Interesting dude. Has all the tools, but has played tentative. Wouldn't be surprised if he showed up with the eye of the tiger suddenly and locked down the Sam for the next 7 years. Not sure what's holding him back, confidence? No set position? Perfectionism?

I think he just needs one solid game and everything will click into place.

chris98251

Reaction score
Own The West":3m1n52m5 said:
Interesting dude. Has all the tools, but has played tentative. Wouldn't be surprised if he showed up with the eye of the tiger suddenly and locked down the Sam for the next 7 years. Not sure what's holding him back, confidence? No set position? Perfectionism?

I think he just needs one solid game and everything will click into place.

He has a guy in front of him that is hard to displace. When he gets in I am sure there is some looking over the shoulder going on, not wanting to make a mistake and get yanked again.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
All the motor, dedication and heart you want in a football player.......but too small for a front line NFL starting LB.

KJ Wright is small for outside LB standards, and he's two inches taller and over 10 lbs heavier than Barton.

Good backup, great special teams player, but no I don't think he'll ever be a starter.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I seen dude get punked way to many times to even want him on the team let alone be a starter

John63

Reaction score
He has potential but still not sure yet.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
In case KJ not coming back, who would be our 3rd LBs?

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
Most likely not. He's a weakside LB and more of a coverage one at that. The open spot we have on the LB crew is at the strong-side spot and Barton does not have the skill set to play there (wouldn't be able to set the edge). The only way that he starts is if Bobby gets traded and Brooks slides over to the MIKE. I don't think that Barton would be a good WILL, but he would be better there than at the SAM.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Isaiah Kacyvenski 2.0 or Heath Farwell 2.0

Kick coverage will continue to be his thing. Was on the field for 71% of all special teams' snaps last season, lead the team in that category.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
seanmatt":dmk0rs8t said:
Most likely not. He's a weakside LB and more of a coverage one at that. The open spot we have on the LB crew is at the strong-side spot and Barton does not have the skill set to play there (wouldn't be able to set the edge). The only way that he starts is if Bobby gets traded and Brooks slides over to the MIKE. I don't think that Barton would be a good WILL, but he would be better there than at the SAM.

I have a feeling that with Dunlap on the team, they might look at Darrell Taylor for SAM, much like they did Irvin. Like you said, they need an edge-setter there.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Throwdown":1oki8az7 said:
I seen dude get punked way to many times to even want him on the team let alone be a starter

Same. He just doesnt have the physical attributes and talent.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
As of now KJ still isn't signed right? If he walks expect Barton to play a larger role.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I'd like to see what Barton could do as a starter. Not just as an injury replacement. He's got the talent and physical traits. Let's see what he can do with starter reps.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Just a guy. Another poster had it right comparing him to Kaz and Farwell.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1pztr5oz said:
Just a guy. Another poster had it right comparing him to Kaz and Farwell.
Sounded like we wasted a pick on him.

Tical21

Reaction score
I could see him as a nickel sub but never again want to see him responsible for stopping the run.

Fade

Reaction score
They moved up in the 3rd to draft him. The Seahawks expected more I'm sure. Miss.

The Seahawks have allocated way too many assets into LBer and Safety. Sure would be nice to move some of those assets and reallocate them to longterm solutions to the D-Line and O-Line where football games are actually won.

nanomoz

Reaction score
His athleticism (which Pete raved about) doesn't really show up when I watch him. He is a much better athlete than Farwell/Kacz were, at least in gym shorts. But you can't really tell on Sunday. He often looks hesitant or lost.