Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aldon Smith visiting Seattle? UPDATE Has signed 1 year deal

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • I say yes, but knowing our teams luck he will get busted for something..I think this would be a good signing and he wouldn't be an opposing team crushing Wilson for a change.

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football ... s/10079761
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Re: Aldon Smith visiting Seattle?
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:06 am
  • Not shocked at this in the slightest, hell we tried to trade for him last season.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Aldon Smith visiting Seattle?
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:14 am
  • It would be nice to have him on our side for a change. Who could forget that forced fumble and recovery he made against Russ on the first play of the 2013 NFCCG. What a sinking feeling that was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by James in PA on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 am
  • I agree that ensuring we don't have to play against him might be enough reason to sign him alone!
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:11 am
  • Would be a great pickup to pair w Dunlap
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 am
  • It depends on the contract and team goals for the draft. If there intent is to draft O-Line with the first pick and possibly 2nd pick, then I say yes. If they intend to draft more defense at the exclusion of our O-Line needs, then no.

There will be some quality O-Line FA's let go in June, July and August. I would hope we have left enough cap room to add if the opportunity presents itself. But that is just me. We will see.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 am
  • 5 sacks in half season......loads of potential. Did he get injured in Dallas?
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 am
  • Do it.

They aren't winning in the playoffs without a stellar rotation, and Aldon has cleaned his life up tremendously.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:53 am
  • This should be a no-brainer.

Would rather have Clowney but that ship seems to have sailed.

Is he better than what we have now? Absolutely.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am
  • All for this. Would be a nice signing. Like KF said, grab Aldon up and let the the remainder of the attention be spent on the Oline.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:27 am
  • The team was interested in acquiring him from the Cowboys last season.

He'd be a replacement for Irvin and a situational rusher. I'd be happy adding him as the team would then have a very strong cadre of pass rushers.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:15 pm
  • Last year there was no pass rush until Dunlap showed up. This year, the pass rush could be very good.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:29 pm
  • Atradees wrote:5 sacks in half season......loads of potential. Did he get injured in Dallas?

He had 4 sacks in the first 3 weeks. 3 against the Seahawks then 2 sacks in the other 13 games.

I would like to see him added to the pass rush rotation.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:17 pm
  • I agree he would be great to add to the rotation, even if all he does is draw double teams that could help the others.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:41 pm
  • Bring him in...would be a huge upgrade for the pass rush and allow us to focus on other positions in the draft!
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:56 pm
  • I really want to see this deal done as the improvement to the pass D would be significant and a genuine depth at pass rusher created. Pressure on the opposing QBs will genuinely help the DBs and make their job easier.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:50 am
  • I don't really understand it.
    https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SEA
    According to this site
    LEO= Taylor, Robinson, Mayowa
    LDE = Dunlap, Hyder, Collier
    And Green reassigned as a DT, I guess Hyder, and Collier are also slated to slide inside on pass rush situations.

I guess they could redux the strategy from last year where Bruce Irvin was an LB. Yep, yes if he is willing to sign for 1 or 2 million, count me in. The troubles in his past can't be forgotten.

Give me Smith, Sherm, AB, and BPA in the draft I could count them as contenders for the crown. ANd if that BPA happens to be Landon D. :greetingsearthling: :les:
    Hanjag
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:58 am
  • Yes please.
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:20 am
  • Hanjag wrote:I don't really understand it.
    https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/SEA
    According to this site
    LEO= Taylor, Robinson, Mayowa
    LDE = Dunlap, Hyder, Collier
    And Green reassigned as a DT, I guess Hyder, and Collier are also slated to slide inside on pass rush situations.

I guess they could redux the strategy from last year where Bruce Irvin was an LB. Yep, yes if he is willing to sign for 1 or 2 million, count me in. The troubles in his past can't be forgotten.

Give me Smith, Sherm, AB, and BPA in the draft I could count them as contenders for the crown. ANd if that BPA happens to be Landon D. :greetingsearthling: :les:

That depth chart is screwy. Dunlap played Leo last year.

Aldon Smith played at 280 last year. He'd be able to rush from several spots.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:36 am
  • 1 year deal incoming.

Welcome to Seattle.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:37 am
  • Looks like we are going to be running pass rushers out there in droves....
    Frozenropers
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:41 am
  • Going to be hard to figure out our best pass rushing line......maybe?

RDE: Dunlap
    RDT: Aldon Smith
    LDE: Hyder
    LDE: Robinson

Crazy pass rush there.
    Frozenropers
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 am
  • Elemas wrote:1 year deal incoming.

Welcome to Seattle.

Yep, confirmed.

These lines are shaping up to be the best we've seen in several years, on both sides of the ball. Aldon absolutely sets this DL rotation off.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:48 am
  • Love this move. Even if he only appears as a 3rd down rusher or something, other teams will have to account for him.
    uncle fester
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:48 am
  • Frozenropers wrote:Going to be hard to figure out our best pass rushing line......maybe?

Crazy pass rush there.

Yeah this is a good move that can only help. Also frees up a need in the draft
    John63
    NET Veteran

Aldon Smith
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:50 am
  • Aldon Smith and Seattle reach one year deal...Go Hawks!
    Sterlinghawk
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 am
  • Oh man now that Smith is actually a Seahawk and if last season was just him shaking off the rust after 4 years, this Dline has has a pretty high ceiling to not only be dominant but rather deep. Smith at his best is a lot like Clowney but with closing speed. That’s scary.

The SFO(-ish) pipeline still feels weird but hey maybe that means there’s a chance for Fred Warner to be Seahawk down the road, some day.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:54 am
  • John63 wrote:
    Frozenropers wrote:Going to be hard to figure out our best pass rushing line......maybe?

Crazy pass rush there.

Unfortunately they don't have any draft picks.
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:02 am
  • Hopefully, Smith, doesn’t have the worn out thread on his tires/knees with the four years he was gone.

Smith, destroyed the Seahawks offensive line last time and its good to have him our side now.

I’m still not sure our defensive line will be consistently pressuring quarterbacks but it’s better than it was before, hopefully

Like all things, it will be a wait and see.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:11 am
  • Interesting. Very interesting.

Hopefully he's still got something left in the tank
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:16 am
  • iigakusei wrote:
    John63 wrote:
    Frozenropers wrote:Going to be hard to figure out our best pass rushing line......maybe?

Crazy pass rush there.

Unfortunately they don't have any draft picks.

There might be only 3 picks. But in a vacuum if you have 7 picks and you can hit on 3 of them that’s a decent draft. Seahawks just have no margin for error and have to bat 3 for 3. Maybe not plausible but not impossible. However, Seahawks do look primed to be a top destination for the cream of the crop of UDFAs who are essentially cheaper and with little investment involved are easier to move around a roster/practice squad than a draft pick would be.

And it’s comforting to know that for at least this draft class there is going to way less content for “should’ve, could’ve, would’ve, criticize-everything-before-anything-happens” crowd.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:28 am
  • It sounds like a good signing and you can never have enough pass rush. Just look what happened to us when Clemons went down in the 2012 playoffs and Avril went down in the Super Bowl. That alone makes this a positive signing.

I just really hope they have a plan for OL in the draft and/or remaining FA as our depth is still very weak in my book.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:34 am
  • Great move. Maybe we'll see more nascar and bandit packages. Plus Adams on blitzes? :drool: Pass-happy teams won't have a chance!
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:49 am
  • Not sure why this is not being brought up....but Aldon Smith was a terror for the first 3-4 games of the season, but then his production tailed off significantly.

It sounds like we signed him. Happy to have him. But curious.

What was the reason for the almost falling off a cliff loss of production?

Everything I look at talking about it from the Cowboys side seems to allude to mysterious 'problems' that it never gets deeper into. Just indicating that those problems (off field? on field? in the locker room? what?) led to him being used less.

It always makes me nervous when we think that guys with problems in one place won't have the same problems here.

But at this point, if he can help our pass rush I almost wouldn't care.

Confused on this because it makes no sense. Usually big problems tend to leak, seeing nothing on that front. But the giant drop in production has to come from somewhere.

I would prefer they use him a situational pass rusher and maybe only every other game in the event this was just his endurance being the factor. If we use him sparingly, even with less tread on the tires, he should still have a bit left for the playoffs (if we make them).
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:09 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Not sure why this is not being brought up....but Aldon Smith was a terror for the first 3-4 games of the season, but then his production tailed off significantly.

Everything I look at talking about it from the Cowboys side seems to allude to mysterious 'problems' that it never gets deeper into. Just indicating that those problems (off field? on field? in the locker room? what?) led to him being used less.

It always makes me nervous when we think that guys with problems in one place won't have the same problems here.

Confused on this because it makes no sense. Usually big problems tend to leak, seeing nothing on that front. But the giant drop in production has to come from somewhere.

I would prefer they use him a situational pass rusher and maybe only every other game in the event this was just his endurance being the factor. If we use him sparingly, even with less tread on the tires, he should still have a bit left for the playoffs (if we make them).

Probably because the boys went from bad to awful, no point in getting hurt.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:18 am
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Not sure why this is not being brought up....but Aldon Smith was a terror for the first 3-4 games of the season, but then his production tailed off significantly.

It could just be that the Cowboys were screwed up with their defense and just didn't utilize him well last year. Who knows with those guys. But they did reject a trade offer from us, so my bet is that they were just bad at defensive game planning last year.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:20 am

He probably just ran out of steam, being out of the league for so long.

So he should be much more conditioned and reacclimated, entering this new season
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• The DLine has now been repopulated with a very potentially strong cast.

Taylor, Robinson, Collier, and Green are going to need to compete to see the field much.

I'm jazzed by this signing! At one time before his huge problems with alcohol and guns he was one of the very best DE's in the NFL. If he can regain his form the team has finally got another answers for their pass rush.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:36 am

For one thing, sacks come in bunches anyway. A 16 sack guy doesn't get 1 sack in every game that season.

After several season off, it doesn't surprise me that he 'petered out' after the first few games.

We'll see, though, I guess. Probably can't hurt.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Great signing. Low risk huge reward. The fact that it pisses off our neighbors down south is a small cherry on top.

Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:24 am

1. I’m thinking after Seahawks game, he was now one of about three Cowboys front 7 defenders teams had to really game-plan for.
    2. The fact he was even a starter for them says a lot about their talent. Hence, he had to play a lot for a first season back after 4 years (bc no rotation) and he likely got gassed in the 2nd half of the season.
    3. And in that 2nd half of the season, his team despite being in the NFC Easiest, pretty much checked out when Prescott went down.

2020 Aldon Smith seems rather 2019 Jadeveon Clowney... Except instead of missing just an off-season/pre-season, Smith was gone for 4 whole years and re-entered the league in one of the oddest, perhaps one of the hardest years to be pro-athlete while losing the star QB 6-7games in.

I don’t think Smith will start unless he’s going to be a giga SAM. As a rotational piece and spot-starter Smith might have the potential to do significant damage. In my head I kind of envision this move like Kendall Graveman... an average starting pitcher kind of re-inventing himself into a great relief pitcher. For Smith, I just want to see him pin his ears back and just throw fireballs with everything thing he’s got for 20-30 snaps a game.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• The former San Francisco 49ers first-round pick was an every-down player for Dallas, playing 809 snaps, 13th most among edge defenders last season. He compiled five sacks, 14 QB hits, and two passes defended to go along with 48 tackles last season. Pro Football Focus charted Smith with 50 total pressures last season, 20th at his position.

He might not be the pass-rushing force he was early in his career (33.5 sacks in his first two seasons), but Smith showed he can still win at the point of attack with speed, set the edge and win one-on-one matchups.

Last season, Smith proved that he still has juice left in his legs even after a long layoff. According to Next Gen Stats, Smith had a 9.1 pressure percent last season (40th among EDGE, min. 200 pass rushes). All Seahawks edge rushers combined for a 13.7 QB pressure percent in 2020 (30th in NFL, per PFF).

https://www.nfl.com/news/aldon-smith-ag ... e-seahawks
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Hopefully he stays clean, makes better choices, and is healthy.
    The guy was a train wreck in Santa Clara off the field, no issues in little D last year so hopefully he’s trending right.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• One more thing to note, Smith has a near 84 inch wing span, a lot of the more successful Seahawks defenses have had players that could get up, disrupt passing lanes, freeze the QB in the pocket, and allow the pass-rush to hit home. So even if Smith is just half the player he used to be as a pass-rusher, he still has the ability to be quite valuable in a run defender/ pass disrupter type role player that Carroll likes in his defenses.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

• Hell yes! I've coveted Aldon since he was a rookie with the Whiners. Outside of Aaron Donald, I can't think of another player who has caused RW so much grief. Now if we can bring back Wright and Sherman, haul in AB, and get a good OC in the draft, we'll be ready to Rock & Roll.
    godawg
    NET Veteran

• godawg wrote:Hell yes! I've coveted Aldon since he was a rookie with the Whiners. Outside of Aaron Donald, I can't think of another player who has caused RW so much grief. Now if we can bring back Wright and Sherman, haul in AB, and get a good OC in the draft, we'll be ready to Rock & Roll.

Chandler Jones!

Jones has been on par with torturing Wilson as Donald has been.

Calais Campbell was pretty effective when he was with the Cards.

Fred Warner also comes to mind at harassing Wilson.

Pretty much a lot of the NFC West rival players has put hands on Wilson.

Wilson would probably tell you too many players in the NFC West has put hands on him.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• After I sent this one out I started thinking about Chandler Jones and Calais Campbell, but in his day Aldon Smith was worse. Much better to have him on our side.
    godawg
    NET Veteran

• Being back for his second year he should be fired up now and in pretty good shape, just the fact that it pissed off the 49ers makes it worth while :)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Wow... These pass rush signings remind of when got Avril and Bennett

That worked out pretty well
    irfuben32
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Mon May 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information