Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PC and JS have been BRILLIANT

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
PC and JS have been BRILLIANT
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:35 am
  • They have been transcendental this off season. They picked up the pieces we needed and brought back key parts. Russel is still here and buying in. There was the most fan negativity I can remember heading into the off-season. But Pete and John came through again. Excellent off-season and we haven't even drafted yet. This team is a bona-fide contender, especially if Russ gets cooking with our new OC. Pete and John proved the haters wrong yet again
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Re: PC and JS have been BRILLIANT
Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:38 am
  • Welshers wrote:They have been transcendental this off season. They picked up the pieces we needed and brought back key parts. Russel is still here and buying in. There was the most fan negativity I can remember heading into the off-season. But Pete and John came through again. Excellent off-season and we haven't even drafted yet. This team is a bona-fide contender, especially if Russ gets cooking with our new OC. Pete and John proved the haters wrong yet again

I’ll tell you what. If we win more than 1 post season game I’ll take a one month break here if you agree to do the same if we win one or zero playoff games including missing them altogether.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:10 pm
  • The frustrations I feel are because Seattle has not advanced consistently in the past few years in the post season.

I mean, you are not going to win the Super Bowl every year, I think most here understand that, and are reasonable about it, but you want to at least show signs that you have improved if you go to the playoffs consistently.

I feel Russell would not have said what he did through his agent, if Seattle had gotten to another NFC Championship game.

I still feel Seattle is 3 or 4 players away from being considered heavy Super Bowl contenders.

But Seattle needs to fix these things:

1. Top cornerback play/pass rush consistency
    2. Consistent good offensive play
    3. A good third receiver/tight end to take advantage of a defense nickel corner matchup
    4. Consistent run game (when Carson doesn’t run well, Seattle’s probability of winning goes way down)
    5. Quick starts (playing fourth quarter catch up isn’t a winning recipe in playoffs)

If Seattle fixes these five issues, Seattle wins the Super Bowl.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:17 pm
  • Where this may be true, it will not change the fact that Pete is terrible at game planning/scheming, a terrible in-game coach who can't seem to adjust until 10 minutes left in the 4th, a terrible clock manager, and will continue to make bone head challenges and call bone head timeouts. In other words, as long as Pete is here, not much will change...
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:
    Welshers wrote:They have been transcendental this off season. They picked up the pieces we needed and brought back key parts. Russel is still here and buying in. There was the most fan negativity I can remember heading into the off-season. But Pete and John came through again. Excellent off-season and we haven't even drafted yet. This team is a bona-fide contender, especially if Russ gets cooking with our new OC. Pete and John proved the haters wrong yet again

I’ll tell you what. If we win more than 1 post season game I’ll take a one month break here if you agree to do the same if we win one or zero playoff games including missing them altogether.

You didn't address any of what he said. Pete and John can do a great job in the offseason and have poor postseason success.... they aren't mutually exclusive.

Also: you essentially are implying that in order for Pete and John to be good (again....because they already have been to two Super Bowls remember?) they have to reach the NFC championship game.

A great and attainable goal, but also lofty enough that you know you can hedge your bet knowing only four teams make it there per year.... and sometimes you need a bit of ( or a lot of) luck to get there.
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:48 pm
  • Having stomached the Ken Behring ownership years, and the Tom Flores head coaching years, and the last year of Mike Holmgren, and lastly, the one year of JIm Mora Jr. head coaching year, I damn glad to have Pete Carroll as a HC.

So many of you are spoiled.
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:11 pm
  • I think from an off season perspective they are doing well. IF they have indeed patched things up with Wilson, and they are all on the same sheet, there is potential for good stuff. The big thing will be how does all this translate to the season and game stuff that is a wait and see thing. A good off season does not always translate to a good season, And one of the biggest issue with regards to PC is his actually game planning, adjustments and game day coaching. Hopefully he will eith erimprove or stay of the way of the new OC.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 pm
  • I'm with you Welshers. I just wish we had more Seahawks fans on this fan board.

If this was any other decade, people would be giddy that we have a team capable of making a playoff run. Every Superbowl team ever has had flaws too. I like our chances.
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:28 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:
    Welshers wrote:They have been transcendental this off season. They picked up the pieces we needed and brought back key parts. Russel is still here and buying in. There was the most fan negativity I can remember heading into the off-season. But Pete and John came through again. Excellent off-season and we haven't even drafted yet. This team is a bona-fide contender, especially if Russ gets cooking with our new OC. Pete and John proved the haters wrong yet again

THE GAUNTLET IS DOWN!
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm
  • TheLegendOfBoom wrote:The frustrations I feel are because Seattle has not advanced consistently in the past few years in the post season.

I mean, you are not going to win the Super Bowl every year, I think most here understand that, and are reasonable about it, but you want to at least show signs that you have improved if you go to the playoffs consistently.

I feel Russell would not have said what he did through his agent, if Seattle had gotten to another NFC Championship game.

I still feel Seattle is 3 or 4 players away from being considered heavy Super Bowl contenders.

But Seattle needs to fix these things:

1. Top cornerback play/pass rush consistency
    2. Consistent good offensive play
    3. A good third receiver/tight end to take advantage of a defense nickel corner matchup
    4. Consistent run game (when Carson doesn’t run well, Seattle’s probability of winning goes way down)
    5. Quick starts (playing fourth quarter catch up isn’t a winning recipe in playoffs)

If Seattle fixes these five issues, Seattle wins the Super Bowl.

1. Top cornerback play Remains to be seen/pass rush consistency Have definitely made big strides to get there
    2. Consistent good offensive play Well, I think the line will be improved, new OC...the rest may be up to RW being a bit more consistent
    3. A good third receiver/tight end I believe this was addressed with Everett to take advantage of a defense nickel corner matchup
    4. Consistent run game (when Carson doesn’t run well, Seattle’s probability of winning goes way down) Kinda dependent on the health of the RB room
    5. Quick starts (playing fourth quarter catch up isn’t a winning recipe in playoffs) Hopefully, the OC will be better at this
    OKHawksfan
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm
  • Signing a bunch of 1 yr rentals isn't what I would call "BRILLIANT." It just points to how many holes they have on the roster from 8 years of mostly vacuous drafting.

They need to find building block pieces on both the offensive and defensive lines for the long term, these patch jobs are what is holding them back from taking the next step. I will say this particular patch job appears to be better than year's past, thanks to the pandemic, but still.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:49 pm
  • Agree, this offseason has been impressive so far, with the acquisitions and the way they were able to manage the cap.

The defense in particular has the potential to be MUCH better than last year.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:59 pm
  • Fade wrote:Signing a bunch of 1 yr rentals isn't what I would call "BRILLIANT." It just points to how many holes they have on the roster from 8 years of mostly vacuous drafting.

They need to find building block pieces on both the offensive and defensive lines for the long term, these patch jobs are what is holding them back from taking the next step. I will say this particular patch job appears to be better than year's past, thanks to the pandemic, but still.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, Aldon didn't exactly set the world on fire for Dallas. Witherspoon did not exactly set the world on fire for the 49ers. It sort of feels like we're the Raiders taking whoever we can for cheap, guys with recent injury history or head problems.

And then the statement about not going to voluntary workouts. Which isn't coming from the Rams, the Cards or the 49ers.

I feel like the team, and some of its fans, are going to assume that ***at worst*** they go one-and-done in the playoffs or lose in the divisional. Like it's the floor. It's a pretty high artificial floor.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:48 pm
  • onanygivensunday wrote:Having stomached the Ken Behring ownership years, and the Tom Flores head coaching years, and the last year of Mike Holmgren, and lastly, the one year of JIm Mora Jr. head coaching year, I damn glad to have Pete Carroll as a HC.

These are the low standards we have grown to accept
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:00 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Fade wrote:Signing a bunch of 1 yr rentals isn't what I would call "BRILLIANT." It just points to how many holes they have on the roster from 8 years of mostly vacuous drafting.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, Aldon didn't exactly set the world on fire for Dallas. Witherspoon did not exactly set the world on fire for the 49ers. It sort of feels like we're the Raiders taking whoever we can for cheap, guys with recent injury history or head problems.

And then the statement about not going to voluntary workouts. Which isn't coming from the Rams, the Cards or the 49ers.

I feel like the team, and some of its fans, are going to assume that ***at worst*** they go one-and-done in the playoffs or lose in the divisional. Like it's the floor. It's a pretty high artificial floor.

You have to look at the moves collectively, with the pieces that are already there, and relative to the cap situation, this year.

Pass rush got a big upgrade in quality and depth. It's not just Aldon. It's Dunlap, Hyder, Mayoya, Robinson, and any contribution from Taylor will be a bonus. He was very close to coming back. Collier and Ford should continue to improve also. Would like another big body besides Woods, but this d-line could be nasty.

At corner, Randall will compete with Witherspoon, and DJ Reed will improve with another year of experience. Reed is a very good player. And who knows, the next rabbit they pull out of the hat could be Sherm.

At safety, Blair and Adams should be healthy, with another year in the system. And Diggs quietly had a very good year. Safety play as whole should be a lot better.

On offense, there's reasons to optimistic, but we'll see how things play out in the draft and with this new coordinator.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:17 pm
  • OKHawksfan wrote:4. Consistent run game (when Carson doesn’t run well, Seattle’s probability of winning goes way down) Kinda dependent on the health of the RB room

Yeah this is why Russ and Pete tried to recruit Gio Bernard. Homer and DJ Dallas are not the answer.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:50 pm
  • JayhawkMike wrote:

Looking forward to a quiet month next February.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:57 pm
  • Even as one of the more supportive posters of the front office, I didn't expect this sort of offseason. They picked the right time to pivot towards more aggressive usage of voidable years to leverage their abundance future cap space into immediate benefit.

A constant top-20 guard. Re-signing the bell cow back. Re-signing Dunlap. Getting Hyder who totally slid under the radar. Signing a personal favorite of mine in Ahkello. Now, adding Aldon freakin' Smith?

They were appropriately aggressive in FA to free up those 3 draft picks they have. I'm hoping for a KJ retention, and if that happens, I'm gucci. They're 100% set. I'd expect a WR3 competitor to be added along the line somewhere.

Plus, a new OC with a contemporary philosophy on offense.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:19 pm
  • misfit wrote:
    onanygivensunday wrote:Having stomached the Ken Behring ownership years, and the Tom Flores head coaching years, and the last year of Mike Holmgren, and lastly, the one year of JIm Mora Jr. head coaching year, I damn glad to have Pete Carroll as a HC.

Go root for the Patriots then. You'll have incredible trouble finding any sort of consistent success anywhere else.
    Last edited by Maelstrom787 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:23 pm
  • Fade wrote:Signing a bunch of 1 yr rentals isn't what I would call "BRILLIANT." It just points to how many holes they have on the roster from 8 years of mostly vacuous drafting.

Spot on.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:47 pm
  • Fade wrote:Signing a bunch of 1 yr rentals isn't what I would call "BRILLIANT."

C'mon Fade, get back to the thoughtful analysis we used to get from you. These talking-head mini quotes don't reflect well on you. I would say that, in light of this year's reduced salary cap, that signing "a bunch of 1 yr rentals" actually *IS* brilliant. You get a bunch of FA players who want more money and longer-term deals and realize they won't be getting any until next year at the earliest. So they'll play this year for next year's deal wherever it will be, and will be trying to show other teams that they're worth making a deal for. Who knows, maybe next year when the salary cap goes back up one of those teams might be the Seahawks. This was actually the worst possible year to sign long-term deals with spendy FAs, in my opinion.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:40 pm
  • Well the teams that win free agency never do anything. So I wouldn’t put stock in the moves yet. Most of the moves are risky because they are one year prove it deals. Which more than likely don’t pan out. Who knows yet. I hope the team clicks and the new OC is amazing. If Russ doesn’t fall apart halfway through we may have something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm
  • onanygivensunday wrote:Having stomached the Ken Behring ownership years, and the Tom Flores head coaching years, and the last year of Mike Holmgren, and lastly, the one year of JIm Mora Jr. head coaching year, I damn glad to have Pete Carroll as a HC.

Same here. We have zero cap space and not many picks in the draft. I think Pete and John did amazing with what they have. And they always do. I think this year isn’t going to be their year. I think they are really setting up the future nice.

HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 pm
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    misfit wrote:
    onanygivensunday wrote:Having stomached the Ken Behring ownership years, and the Tom Flores head coaching years, and the last year of Mike Holmgren, and lastly, the one year of JIm Mora Jr. head coaching year, I damn glad to have Pete Carroll as a HC.

Go root for the Patriots then. You'll have incredible trouble finding any sort of consistent success anywhere else.

I can root for who I choose

I guess I should just be happy w a wildcard exit every year and never want anything more cuz you said so
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:52 pm
  • Maulbert wrote:
    JayhawkMike wrote:

I’d happily stay quiet for a month if we don’t crap the bed in the playoffs for the SEVENTH year in a tow. That being said Welshers did not agree to it unless I missed it.
    JayhawkMike
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 pm
  • misfit wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    misfit wrote:

I guess I should just be happy w a wildcard exit every year and never want anything more cuz you said so

Or, perhaps instead of being a persistent pessimist, you can occupy just one of the vast reasonable viewpoints where one can desire improvement while also recognizing that the grass isn't much greener anywhere else.

For those who've been through it all and are grateful to have a team, let alone one of the best in the league for about a decade running, maybe you shouldn't call them out. Again, the Patriots bandwagon is a bit lighter if you wanna go root for the only team more successful in the past 10 years.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:31 pm
  • It means that same thing it always means.

We will have a roster that looks great on paper.

We will have a decent regular-season record.

And the holes that manifest mid-year will likely be plugged by the 3/4 point (Last year we went from near dead last in pass rush to one of the highest ranked.)

So, it means at least a decent regular season. Which is goodish news.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:19 am
  • JayhawkMike wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    JayhawkMike wrote:

I’d happily stay quiet for a month if we don’t crap the bed in the playoffs for the SEVENTH year in a tow. That being said Welshers did not agree to it unless I missed it.

You've made it abundantly clear you'd rather this team crapped it's pants while drooling into the field during the regular season with no proof it will lead to anything better. So I really don't care what you think.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:45 am
  • JayhawkMike wrote:

you got a deal
    Welshers
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:20 am
  • Pete Carroll and the word Brilliance cannot be in the same sentence, not on dot net. Pete is a must fire for ruining Russell's career with his antiquated offense philosophies.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:26 am
  • I don't know if I would go as far as brilliant but they have defiantly executed my exceptions this off-season. I thought the 2021 season was looking pretty bleak going back to Feb.

-Our starting QB was making waves about wanting out
    -Didn't have a lot of cap room to work with
    -Only had 4 picks (at the time) up coming in the 2021 draft

I think they have upgraded the pass rush with some good cap maneuvering , kept a top caliber rb without breaking the bank, appear to have solved things with the QB (fi there ever was an issue). They still need to make some solid picks in the draft, like another corner, interior o-linemen etc. But I feel better. about the upcoming season than I did 2 months ago.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:50 am
  • HawkinNY wrote:

Same here. We have zero cap space and not many picks in the draft. I think Pete and John did amazing with what they have. And they always do. I think this year isn’t going to be their year. I think they are really setting up the future nice.

I'm definitely in this camp. Playoffs are a crap shoot. Very few teams have consistent success. It mostly revolves around a few key players. But fielding a competitive team that is exciting to watch that wins most of it's games, year in and year out, makes for an entertaining season. Something that was sorely lacking pre Pete/JC. Getting to the playoffs and having a shot at the SB is gravy for me.

Signed,
    Easily Pleased
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:53 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    misfit wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    misfit wrote:

Or, perhaps instead of being a persistent pessimist, you can occupy just one of the vast reasonable viewpoints where one can desire improvement while also recognizing that the grass isn't much greener anywhere else.

For those who've been through it all and are grateful to have a team, let alone one of the best in the league for about a decade running, maybe you shouldn't call them out. Again, the Patriots bandwagon is a bit lighter if you wanna go root for the only team more successful in the past 10 years.

I'm not a pessimist, I've been through it all as well, I'm not a new fan as you assume.

Move along.
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:44 pm
  • Where did we significantly improve our starting lineup?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:46 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:Where did we significantly improve our starting lineup?

I think you could say Oline we have a upgrade at LG, d line is probably a wash, though the rush should be better though run stopping took a step back w/ no reed.

Still have the draft though
    misfit
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:31 pm
  • And all it took was Wilson about to leave for them to make some moves. They could have done this before, they just took Wilson for granted.
    Tinamedina
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:14 pm
  • Really the team’s offseason success is because of RW?

C’mon fellas give credit where credit is due.

Did anyone think that Iupati wouldn’t be replaced by a veteran G?

The pass rush has been the star of the show. Adding back the players they re-signed was good FO work bordering upon exceptional, but adding the other two players was brilliant. Adding Aldon Smith was the cherry on top

The CBs added fit the team’s scheme, but raise questions even if they may be journeymen. If we reflect though they have been very good at finding CB talent over the years. Somehow I don’t believe they are done by a good ways yet.

They deserve credit for handling a very difficult and complex situation.

Some folks here grumble about the weak drafts delivered by the FO yet the the team contends annually. Just a thought have a look at the Patriots drafts over the past few seasons. Picking late makes it very hard to acquire the talent through the draft so combing the FA market for the guys who can help even if they are eye at rentals.

I give them a good solid A with an A+ pending if they can add a quality CB.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:49 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:Really the team’s offseason success is because of RW?

C’mon fellas give credit where credit is due.

Did anyone think that Iupati wouldn’t be replaced by a veteran G?

The pass rush has been the star of the show. Adding back the players they re-signed was good FO work bordering upon exceptional, but adding the other two players was brilliant. Adding Aldon Smith was the cherry on top

The CBs added fit the team’s scheme, but raise questions even if they may be journeymen. If we reflect though they have been very good at finding CB talent over the years. Somehow I don’t believe they are done by a good ways yet.

They deserve credit for handling a very difficult and complex situation.

Some folks here grumble about the weak drafts delivered by the FO yet the the team contends annually. Just a thought have a look at the Patriots drafts over the past few seasons. Picking late makes it very hard to acquire the talent through the draft so combing the FA market for the guys who can help even if they are eye at rentals.

I give them a good solid A with an A+ pending if they can add a quality CB.

they werent even gonna replace ipuati, he had to reitre for them to get the point.

and yes, they were scared wilson was leaving (and he is leaving after 2021) so, they stepped up a LITTLE bit.
    Tinamedina
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:35 am
  • jammerhawk wrote:Some folks here grumble about the weak drafts delivered by the FO yet the the team contends annually.

So you think those drafts are why they contend annually? Its Russ. Take him out of the equation and Seattle is a 4 win team. Make no mistake about it, the FO has drafted pretty lousy for a long time now.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:20 pm
  • Absolutely agree that the player they drafted in the 3rd round at pick #75 is a key reason for the team's success.

Don't disagree that the early picks in the draft have for the most part with several key scores been pretty weak; yet the deeper picks have been pretty good. it is absolutely clear they have had more than a few key whiffs. When they hit on a player they really score. Their miss rate is still pretty high. It is their creativity with short term deals and relatively cheap FAs that allows the team to remain competitive.

Absolutely disagree the team is a 4 win team without RW, but certainly they would not be a playoff team without him.

If we look at early picks drafted by NE they have not done that well either drafting at the end of the first round consistently.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:48 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    So you think those drafts are why they contend annually? Its Russ. Take him out of the equation and Seattle is a 4 win team. Make no mistake about it, the FO has drafted pretty lousy for a long time now.

It's true they haven't drafted well since McCloughan left, but it is not with certainty they would be a losing team without Russ. Can you imagine what they could do with the roster if we had a Josh Allen, for example, and his rookie contract?

The coaches know what they have in Russ. And that is player in his prime, who is very good, but who may have reached his ceiling? And costs the team a ton, to boot.

His style of play has not been sustainable for an entire season. The off-schedule, backyard, scramble-drill type of play he lives or dies on, has diminishing returns. The moon ball we all love, apparently can be taken away by good NFL defenses. He is no longer a scary read-option threat. He needs strong run game support in order to be successful. RBs get hurt? We're toast. Two thousand plus yard receivers during the regular season? Awesome. But it just didn't mean much in the playoffs, did it?

That said, it is in the best interest of the FO to make the most of what they got. And that is to build a TEAM around Russ that can be competitive in this league. Build a balanced team that won't give up 30+ points per game, so they aren't overly dependent on Russ to score 30+ points to win every game. Coaches know that is not sustainable for an entire season.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:20 pm
  • hoxrox wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

It's true they haven't drafted well since McCloughan left, but it is not with certainty they would be a losing team without Russ. Can you imagine what they could do with the roster if we had a Josh Allen, for example, and his rookie contract?

The coaches know what they have in Russ. And that is player in his prime, who is very good, but who may have reached his ceiling? And costs the team a ton, to boot.

His style of play has not been sustainable for an entire season. The off-schedule, backyard, scramble-drill type of play he lives or dies on, has diminishing returns. The moon ball we all love, apparently can be taken away by good NFL defenses. He is no longer a scary read-option threat. He needs strong run game support in order to be successful. RBs get hurt? We're toast. Two thousand plus yard receivers during the regular season? Awesome. But it just didn't mean much in the playoffs, did it?

That said, it is in the best interest of the FO to make the most of what they got. And that is to build a TEAM around Russ that can be competitive in this league. Build a balanced team that won't give up 30+ points per game, so they aren't overly dependent on Russ to score 30+ points to win every game. Coaches know that is not sustainable for an entire season.

So a lot of what you say is inaccurate. Wilson does not live or die by off script plays he just rarely has any other choice. For example This past season his supposed live or die got us to 12-4 and produced a QB rating of 105 with 11 of them over 90 so the whole not sustainable is not in accurate. Just to compare the supposed goat Brady had 11 above 90 as well, Josh Allen who someone mentioned at 9 above 90. So Guess all of their styles are not sustainable either. Also, of course no other QB does off script plays they are all on script (sarcasm off}). As to the rest well it simple the FACTS and comparisons to other top QBs show its wrong. AS to the run game lets remember Wilson was our 2nd leading rusher last year and only 170 yards behind Carson, and we went 12-4.

However, lets see

We were ranked 12th in rushing remember Wilson was 2nd on the team we avg 123 yards per game
    Rodgers run game was ranked 8th, at 132 Guess he needs a strong run game to be successful and was the MVP
    Mahomes had the 16th ranked at 112 yards per game just 11 less than us Guess he heeds a strong run game too.

Hmm once again I put this to people putting unrealistic expectations on Wilson that other top QBs don't have like needing a run game.

I will agree that All top QBs need some combination of a great run game or great defense. No QB has won an SB without one or the other both.

AS to the reached his ceiling maybe he has but you know what 105 Qb rating, 40 tds, 68.8 compt %, over 4k yards and one of only 2 QBs to be top 10 in all of those. Yeah if that's his ceiling we should all be very happy. BUt I some how doubt it is his ceiling.

Further, lets remember it was just 3 years ago Wilson got us to a 9-7 record with a bottom 10 defense, and 12th ranked rush game were Wilson was far an away our leading rusher by over 340 yards. In this year he account for over 95% of our TDs and over 80% of our total yards. So sorry his playing style which his the same as all mobile QBs, is sustainable with or without a run game, a run game he contributes to alot.
    Last edited by John63 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:27 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

So a lot of what you say is inaccurate. Wilson does not live or die by off script plays he just rarely has any other choice. For example This past season his supposed live or die got us to 12-4 and produced a QB rating of 105 with 11 of them over 90 so the whole not sustainable is not in accurate. Just to compare the supposed goat Brady had 11 above 90 as well, Josh Allen who someone mentioned at 9 above 90. So Guess all of their styles are not sustainable either. Also, of course no other QB does off script plays they are all on script (sarcasm off}). As to the rest well it simple the FACTS and comparisons to other top QBs show its wrong. AS to the run game lets remember Wilson was our 2nd leading rusher last year and only 170 yards behind Carson, and we went 12-4.

However, lets see

We were ranked 12th in rushing remember Wilson was 2nd on the team we avg 123 yards per game
    Rodgers run game was ranked 8th, at 132 Guess he needs a strong run game to be successful and was the MVP
    Mahomes had the 16th ranked at 112 yards per game just 11 less than us Guess he heeds a strong run game too.

Hmm once again I put this to people putting unrealistic expectations on Wilson that other top QBs don't have like needing a run game.

I will agree that All top QBs need some combination of a great run game or great defense. No QB has won an SB without one or the other both.

AS to the reached his ceiling maybe he has but you know what 105 Qb rating, 40 tds, 68.8 compt %, over 4k yards and one of only 2 QBs to be top 10 in all of those. Yeah if that's his ceiling we should all be very happy. BUt I some how doubt it is his ceiling.

Sorry, but you need to hold yourself to your own logic here. If no one can criticize Russ without explicit knowledge of the assignments, then you cannot declare that he doesn't go off-script often in neutral situations.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:13 am
  • hoxrox wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

I know its easy to do as its been so common place, but how do fans forget about Wilsons history of heroics in the 4th quarter, pulling the teams fat out of the fryer? He's done it for years now. Its an innate talent that cant be taught. Just a quality about Russ I though everybody should be reminded of. No, its sustainable all the time, but its happened a bunch over the years.

Yeah the home run ball can be defended against. Maybe Pete and his lackeys should quit looking for it all the time.

No, they dont run the read option anymore. It was getting Russ killed. Remember the season Russ had that bad ankle and was no threat to run and they still ran the read option? Good times.

Every team needs some semblance of a run game. Seattle didnt have one single 100 yard rusher last season and they still won 12 games. Was that more due to Russ or the run game?

Hawks could have had 4 1000 yard receivers and 2 1000 yard rushers and they still would have lost that playoff game with the Rams because the game plan was pathetic. The team doesnt have enough talent anymore to overcome Carrolls coaching gaffes. Therein lies the problem. Big picture is to not expect better results going forward when the team will never be able to recoup the needed talent to trump Pete's coaching deficiencies. Early round playoff exits is the ceiling for this team.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

I know its easy to do as its been so common place, but how do fans forget about Wilsons history of heroics in the 4th quarter, pulling the teams fat out of the fryer? He's done it for years now. Its an innate talent that cant be taught. Just a quality about Russ I though everybody should be reminded of. No, its sustainable all the time, but its happened a bunch over the years.

Yeah the home run ball can be defended against. Maybe Pete and his lackeys should quit looking for it all the time.

No, they dont run the read option anymore. It was getting Russ killed. Remember the season Russ had that bad ankle and was no threat to run and they still ran the read option? Good times.

Every team needs some semblance of a run game. Seattle didnt have one single 100 yard rusher last season and they still won 12 games. Was that more due to Russ or the run game?

Hawks could have had 4 1000 yard receivers and 2 1000 yard rushers and they still would have lost that playoff game with the Rams because the game plan was pathetic. The team doesnt have enough talent anymore to overcome Carrolls coaching gaffes. Therein lies the problem. Big picture is to not expect better results going forward when the team will never be able to recoup the needed talent to trump Pete's coaching deficiencies. Early round playoff exits is the ceiling for this team.

You're gonna sit there with a straight face and defend heroball as a whole as reproduceable and common, yet in the next sentence criticize looking for the deep pass?

C'mon, get it straight, man.

You wanna talk about playing to Russell's strength? It's the deep pass. Plain and simple. That's his bread and butter.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:00 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

You're gonna sit there with a straight face and defend heroball as a whole as reproduceable and common, yet in the next sentence criticize looking for the deep pass?

You wanna talk about playing to Russell's strength? It's the deep pass. Plain and simple. That's his bread and butter.

Yes he had a great deep ball, but if you take the bread away all you have is butter and it's a slippery slope, the two deep look took away the bread, to get it back you have to use a short and intermediate game which they didn't do.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 am
  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Come on. You and everybody else knows that Pete has always looked for the homerun ball. My point is that when its not working and not there, another plan needs to be put in place. Last season when the offense started to sputter because of the two deep coverage, there was no back up plan. Was that on Pete or Schotty? I'm betting Pete because of his history of always going to it. Philosophical differences between those two is right. Cripes, even Metcalf (who's numbers blossomed because of it) knew a change needed to be made.

Its going to be frustrating to watch Carroll step all over Waldrons plans, but its going to happen. Make no mistake about that.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:50 am
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

GREAT post spot on FYI Wilson leads the league in 4th qtr/ot comeback wins since he came in the league. Remember that is the way PC has said he wants t play, run the ball, throw long, keep i close and win in the end, Very FEW QBs could have the kind of successes Wilson has had with that type of thinking.
    John63
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:12 pm
  • John63 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

GREAT post spot on FYI Wilson leads the league in 4th qtr/ot comeback wins since he came in the league. Remember that is the way PC has said he wants t play, run the ball, throw long, keep i close and win in the end, Very FEW QBs could have the kind of successes Wilson has had with that type of thinking.

It works until it doesn't and teams adjust, you have to counter, Pete didn't and we will see if we ever do this season.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 pm
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    hoxrox wrote:

Come on. You and everybody else knows that Pete has always looked for the homerun ball. My point is that when its not working and not there, another plan needs to be put in place. Last season when the offense started to sputter because of the two deep coverage, there was no back up plan. Was that on Pete or Schotty? I'm betting Pete because of his history of always going to it. Philosophical differences between those two is right. Cripes, even Metcalf (who's numbers blossomed because of it) knew a change needed to be made.

Its going to be frustrating to watch Carroll step all over Waldrons plans, but its going to happen. Make no mistake about that.

You're missing the point.

You can't defend heroball as a reproduceable method of football while criticizing a predisposition for deep passing as the opposite. It doesn't make sense.

Regardless, let's not act like there wasn't a ton of mesh concepts and open tight ends in the intermediate range last season that were rarely thrown to, because the all-22 shows different. It isn't a bunch of 4 verts.

My main criticism would be not pivoting to a more balanced attack to get the chains moving with the run game, because Russ wasn't taking the short stuff. He never has. Whether that's due to instruction or his own predisposition for the deep ball is up to debate, but with Schotty calling the plays, I doubt he was explicitly told not to take what he's given.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information