PC and JS have been BRILLIANT

W

Welshers

They have been transcendental this off season. They picked up the pieces we needed and brought back key parts. Russel is still here and buying in. There was the most fan negativity I can remember heading into the off-season. But Pete and John came through again. Excellent off-season and we haven't even drafted yet. This team is a bona-fide contender, especially if Russ gets cooking with our new OC. Pete and John proved the haters wrong yet again

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Welshers":3p1t3flp said:
They have been transcendental this off season. They picked up the pieces we needed and brought back key parts. Russel is still here and buying in. There was the most fan negativity I can remember heading into the off-season. But Pete and John came through again. Excellent off-season and we haven't even drafted yet. This team is a bona-fide contender, especially if Russ gets cooking with our new OC. Pete and John proved the haters wrong yet again

I’ll tell you what. If we win more than 1 post season game I’ll take a one month break here if you agree to do the same if we win one or zero playoff games including missing them altogether.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The frustrations I feel are because Seattle has not advanced consistently in the past few years in the post season.

I mean, you are not going to win the Super Bowl every year, I think most here understand that, and are reasonable about it, but you want to at least show signs that you have improved if you go to the playoffs consistently.

I feel Russell would not have said what he did through his agent, if Seattle had gotten to another NFC Championship game.

I still feel Seattle is 3 or 4 players away from being considered heavy Super Bowl contenders.

But Seattle needs to fix these things:

1. Top cornerback play/pass rush consistency
2. Consistent good offensive play
3. A good third receiver/tight end to take advantage of a defense nickel corner matchup
4. Consistent run game (when Carson doesn’t run well, Seattle’s probability of winning goes way down)
5. Quick starts (playing fourth quarter catch up isn’t a winning recipe in playoffs)

If Seattle fixes these five issues, Seattle wins the Super Bowl.

hawker84

Reaction score
Where this may be true, it will not change the fact that Pete is terrible at game planning/scheming, a terrible in-game coach who can't seem to adjust until 10 minutes left in the 4th, a terrible clock manager, and will continue to make bone head challenges and call bone head timeouts. In other words, as long as Pete is here, not much will change...

Hawkpower

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":19l97oyu said:
Welshers":19l97oyu said:

I’ll tell you what. If we win more than 1 post season game I’ll take a one month break here if you agree to do the same if we win one or zero playoff games including missing them altogether.

You didn't address any of what he said. Pete and John can do a great job in the offseason and have poor postseason success.... they aren't mutually exclusive.

Also: you essentially are implying that in order for Pete and John to be good (again....because they already have been to two Super Bowls remember?) they have to reach the NFC championship game.

A great and attainable goal, but also lofty enough that you know you can hedge your bet knowing only four teams make it there per year.... and sometimes you need a bit of ( or a lot of) luck to get there.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Having stomached the Ken Behring ownership years, and the Tom Flores head coaching years, and the last year of Mike Holmgren, and lastly, the one year of JIm Mora Jr. head coaching year, I damn glad to have Pete Carroll as a HC.

So many of you are spoiled.

John63

Reaction score
I think from an off season perspective they are doing well. IF they have indeed patched things up with Wilson, and they are all on the same sheet, there is potential for good stuff. The big thing will be how does all this translate to the season and game stuff that is a wait and see thing. A good off season does not always translate to a good season, And one of the biggest issue with regards to PC is his actually game planning, adjustments and game day coaching. Hopefully he will eith erimprove or stay of the way of the new OC.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm with you Welshers. I just wish we had more Seahawks fans on this fan board.

If this was any other decade, people would be giddy that we have a team capable of making a playoff run. Every Superbowl team ever has had flaws too. I like our chances.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3jwr9dqz said:
Welshers":3jwr9dqz said:

THE GAUNTLET IS DOWN!

OKHawksfan

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":2s3j1mhm said:
The frustrations I feel are because Seattle has not advanced consistently in the past few years in the post season.

I mean, you are not going to win the Super Bowl every year, I think most here understand that, and are reasonable about it, but you want to at least show signs that you have improved if you go to the playoffs consistently.

I feel Russell would not have said what he did through his agent, if Seattle had gotten to another NFC Championship game.

I still feel Seattle is 3 or 4 players away from being considered heavy Super Bowl contenders.

But Seattle needs to fix these things:

1. Top cornerback play/pass rush consistency
2. Consistent good offensive play
3. A good third receiver/tight end to take advantage of a defense nickel corner matchup
4. Consistent run game (when Carson doesn’t run well, Seattle’s probability of winning goes way down)
5. Quick starts (playing fourth quarter catch up isn’t a winning recipe in playoffs)

If Seattle fixes these five issues, Seattle wins the Super Bowl.

1. Top cornerback play Remains to be seen/pass rush consistency Have definitely made big strides to get there
2. Consistent good offensive play Well, I think the line will be improved, new OC...the rest may be up to RW being a bit more consistent
3. A good third receiver/tight end I believe this was addressed with Everett to take advantage of a defense nickel corner matchup
4. Consistent run game (when Carson doesn’t run well, Seattle’s probability of winning goes way down) Kinda dependent on the health of the RB room
5. Quick starts (playing fourth quarter catch up isn’t a winning recipe in playoffs) Hopefully, the OC will be better at this

Fade

Reaction score
Signing a bunch of 1 yr rentals isn't what I would call "BRILLIANT." It just points to how many holes they have on the roster from 8 years of mostly vacuous drafting.

They need to find building block pieces on both the offensive and defensive lines for the long term, these patch jobs are what is holding them back from taking the next step. I will say this particular patch job appears to be better than year's past, thanks to the pandemic, but still.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Agree, this offseason has been impressive so far, with the acquisitions and the way they were able to manage the cap.

The defense in particular has the potential to be MUCH better than last year.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Fade":26ueovzs said:
Signing a bunch of 1 yr rentals isn't what I would call "BRILLIANT." It just points to how many holes they have on the roster from 8 years of mostly vacuous drafting.

They need to find building block pieces on both the offensive and defensive lines for the long term, these patch jobs are what is holding them back from taking the next step. I will say this particular patch job appears to be better than year's past, thanks to the pandemic, but still.

My thoughts exactly. I mean, Aldon didn't exactly set the world on fire for Dallas. Witherspoon did not exactly set the world on fire for the 49ers. It sort of feels like we're the Raiders taking whoever we can for cheap, guys with recent injury history or head problems.

And then the statement about not going to voluntary workouts. Which isn't coming from the Rams, the Cards or the 49ers.

I feel like the team, and some of its fans, are going to assume that ***at worst*** they go one-and-done in the playoffs or lose in the divisional. Like it's the floor. It's a pretty high artificial floor.

misfit

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1yk01nwh said:
Having stomached the Ken Behring ownership years, and the Tom Flores head coaching years, and the last year of Mike Holmgren, and lastly, the one year of JIm Mora Jr. head coaching year, I damn glad to have Pete Carroll as a HC.

These are the low standards we have grown to accept

hoxrox

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1nhwpqj9 said:
Fade":1nhwpqj9 said:

My thoughts exactly. I mean, Aldon didn't exactly set the world on fire for Dallas. Witherspoon did not exactly set the world on fire for the 49ers. It sort of feels like we're the Raiders taking whoever we can for cheap, guys with recent injury history or head problems.

And then the statement about not going to voluntary workouts. Which isn't coming from the Rams, the Cards or the 49ers.

I feel like the team, and some of its fans, are going to assume that ***at worst*** they go one-and-done in the playoffs or lose in the divisional. Like it's the floor. It's a pretty high artificial floor.

You have to look at the moves collectively, with the pieces that are already there, and relative to the cap situation, this year.

Pass rush got a big upgrade in quality and depth. It's not just Aldon. It's Dunlap, Hyder, Mayoya, Robinson, and any contribution from Taylor will be a bonus. He was very close to coming back. Collier and Ford should continue to improve also. Would like another big body besides Woods, but this d-line could be nasty.

At corner, Randall will compete with Witherspoon, and DJ Reed will improve with another year of experience. Reed is a very good player. And who knows, the next rabbit they pull out of the hat could be Sherm.

At safety, Blair and Adams should be healthy, with another year in the system. And Diggs quietly had a very good year. Safety play as whole should be a lot better.

On offense, there's reasons to optimistic, but we'll see how things play out in the draft and with this new coordinator.

hoxrox

Reaction score
OKHawksfan":2v20q73l said:
4. Consistent run game (when Carson doesn’t run well, Seattle’s probability of winning goes way down) Kinda dependent on the health of the RB room

Yeah this is why Russ and Pete tried to recruit Gio Bernard. Homer and DJ Dallas are not the answer.

Maulbert

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2xtrw2d2 said:
Welshers":2xtrw2d2 said:

Looking forward to a quiet month next February.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Even as one of the more supportive posters of the front office, I didn't expect this sort of offseason. They picked the right time to pivot towards more aggressive usage of voidable years to leverage their abundance future cap space into immediate benefit.

A constant top-20 guard. Re-signing the bell cow back. Re-signing Dunlap. Getting Hyder who totally slid under the radar. Signing a personal favorite of mine in Ahkello. Now, adding Aldon freakin' Smith?

They were appropriately aggressive in FA to free up those 3 draft picks they have. I'm hoping for a KJ retention, and if that happens, I'm gucci. They're 100% set. I'd expect a WR3 competitor to be added along the line somewhere.

Plus, a new OC with a contemporary philosophy on offense.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
misfit":c754lzwy said:
onanygivensunday":c754lzwy said:

These are the low standards we have grown to accept

Go root for the Patriots then. You'll have incredible trouble finding any sort of consistent success anywhere else.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Fade":gjemconu said:

Spot on.