Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aldon Smith turned himself in, details still to come

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Well, $h!t.
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

• Not sure how credible it is but there’s talk going around social media that he posted a video (that he has since deleted) in which he states “some guy is supposed to beat on my sister and I’m not supposed to do anything?” Or something along those lines. Does that make it right? I don’t know. Definitely not smart. But it does give a little context, if true.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• rjdriver wrote:In 1991 as a senior in HS, I pulled the biggest DB move in my life. I was asked to a dance at a rival HS by a a kind of sweet but homely girl who was a waitress at Denny's. Made up some excuse of why I couldn't go. A week before the dance, a hot, popular girl asked me to the same dance. I went. I tried to avoid that girl every time we went on a late night Denny's run. One time she saw me, came up to our table and said to me.."You don't have to hide from me, I didn't think you would go anyway when I asked". When we went to pay, I found my meal had been comped by her. I've never been more disgusted with myself, and I still think about it to this day.

I have zero doubt that "Vinnie's helmet", "the officiating", "the pick", Malik, Josh Gordon, and now Aldon Smith are just small corrections the universe is making to make up for my repugnancy 30 years ago. I officially apologize to all my fellow Hawks fans.

Dude now I just want breakfast, why did you have to do that?
    shrink420
    NET Bench Warmer

• rjdriver wrote:In 1991 as a senior in HS, I pulled the biggest DB move in my life. I was asked to a dance at a rival HS by a a kind of sweet but homely girl who was a waitress at Denny's. Made up some excuse of why I couldn't go. A week before the dance, a hot, popular girl asked me to the same dance. I went. I tried to avoid that girl every time we went on a late night Denny's run. One time she saw me, came up to our table and said to me.."You don't have to hide from me, I didn't think you would go anyway when I asked". When we went to pay, I found my meal had been comped by her. I've never been more disgusted with myself, and I still think about it to this day.

I have zero doubt that "Vinnie's helmet", "the officiating", "the pick", Malik, Josh Gordon, and now Aldon Smith are just small corrections the universe is making to make up for my repugnancy 30 years ago. I officially apologize to all my fellow Hawks fans.

Super Bowl XL, "We want the ball and we're gonna score" Shaun Alexander post contract, Rick Mirer, Aaron Curry, Koren Robinson.

You selfish pig. Look at what you've done!!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• St Bernard Parrish Authorities? Did he get caught drinking the Parrish wine?
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Atradees wrote:St Bernard Parrish Authorities? Did he get caught drinking the Parrish wine?

Louisiana doesn't have counties, they have parishes. It's a Roman Catholic French thing.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Jerhawk wrote:
    rjdriver wrote:In 1991 as a senior in HS, I pulled the biggest DB move in my life. I was asked to a dance at a rival HS by a a kind of sweet but homely girl who was a waitress at Denny's. Made up some excuse of why I couldn't go. A week before the dance, a hot, popular girl asked me to the same dance. I went. I tried to avoid that girl every time we went on a late night Denny's run. One time she saw me, came up to our table and said to me.."You don't have to hide from me, I didn't think you would go anyway when I asked". When we went to pay, I found my meal had been comped by her. I've never been more disgusted with myself, and I still think about it to this day.

Super Bowl XL, "We want the ball and we're gonna score" Shaun Alexander post contract, Rick Mirer, Aaron Curry, Koren Robinson.

Rick Mirer is not a blemish in seahawks history. Good rookie year and being able to draft both Springs and Jones in the 1997 draft. Who knows what they would have done, but they took Springs first so without the Mirer trade the Seahawks may have never had Jones.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• It's really funny looking back at the Aldon Smith signing thread. Literally nobody in that thread thought it was a bad move, but now that he got in trouble we have all the Captain Himdsights in here criticizing Pete and John.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:It's really funny looking back at the Aldon Smith signing thread. Literally nobody in that thread thought it was a bad move, but now that he got in trouble we have all the Captain Himdsights in here criticizing Pete and John.

Low risk high reward, still need to see how it plays out, he was at a coffee bar from what I read, not a night club also.

I have read he grabbed person by the throat, I have read it was a acquaintance.

It was Smith that called the Seahawks and let them know he had a warrant also, so he was responsible enough to do that.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• XxXdragonXxX wrote:It's really funny looking back at the Aldon Smith signing thread. Literally nobody in that thread thought it was a bad move, but now that he got in trouble we have all the Captain Himdsights in here criticizing Pete and John.

That's usually the only time they come out regardless, unfortunately.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

Wasn't a bad signing then, and it's still not a bad signing because his contracts going to be cancelled if the report is true.

Would have been a bad signing if we committed 20M in guaranteed money with no discipline clauses or something stupid.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• JustTheTip wrote:Rick Mirer is not a blemish in seahawks history.

Eh,,,,,,,
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

There was only two in the whole thread and Seymour was being sarcastic so really only one post criticizing the FO. Think your jumping the gun on that claim.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Hawkpower wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:Has our office never heard the term " due diligence"? Surely we have some kind of clause written into our contracts that would invalidate his for committing a felony assault off of the field? Perhaps an insurance policy that pays the team in the event of non performance related to stupidity?

You did notice that said incident happened AFTER he was signed right?

How can one do due diligence on an event that hasnt even happened yet?

Well, as an employer, I always run a background check on prospective employees and verify their references. This guy has a long history of being a fut up!
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

• brimsalabim wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:Has our office never heard the term " due diligence"? Surely we have some kind of clause written into our contracts that would invalidate his for committing a felony assault off of the field? Perhaps an insurance policy that pays the team in the event of non performance related to stupidity?

Well, as an employer, I always run a background check on prospective employees and verify their references. This guy has a long history of being a fut up!

That's why he was signed for the vet minimum with incentive clauses and only 137k of dead cap.

You guys act like we just committed 40M of guaranteed money to this guy. It was a zero risk vet minimum contract BECAUSE of his long history of being a fut up.

Low risk, potential for high reward and still doesn't prevent us from signing someone else.

Sucks cause Smith could have been a great addition to the D-line rotation..........but enough already with the "OMG why didn't anyone think of this happening" nonsense. They did think of that, thus the contract.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• brimsalabim wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:

My assumption with your post was that you were misinformed on the timing (obviously)

My 9 year old son even knew Aldon Smith had past troubles, so your implication the FO was lacking due diligence doesnt make even make sense.

Hence the low risk/high reward
    Hawkpower
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:

That's why he was signed for the vet minimum with incentive clauses and only 137k of dead cap.

You guys act like we just committed 40M of guaranteed money to this guy. It was a zero risk vet minimum contract BECAUSE of his long history of being a fut up.

Low risk, potential for high reward and still doesn't prevent us from signing someone else.

Sucks cause Smith could have been a great addition to the D-line rotation..........but enough already with the "OMG why didn't anyone think of this happening" nonsense. They did think of that, thus the contract.

And if he is found to be innocent I am sure everyone shouting at the devil here will recant what they said right?
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    brimsalabim wrote:
    Hawkpower wrote:

And if he is found to be innocent I am sure everyone shouting at the devil here will recant what they said right?

Yes, some fans are perfectly willing to chastise Pete and John for signing character issue players like Smith, Harvin or McDowell.......but are quiet about the same risk taken that worked out like Lynch and Frank Clark.

It's a risk every team takes, we're no different.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Video could show that Smith never touched the man who instigated battery charges against him in Louisiana. Video could support the notion that Smith and other family members went to talk to the husband of Smith’s pregnant sister after an alleged altercation between the two.

Smith will contend, we’re told, that he didn’t touch the man. If the video can indeed back up that up, this situation could be resolved quickly, just as the Donald situation was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vi ... r-BB1fRzQ5

As Seahawks Await Details on Aldon Smith, There's No Need to Push Panic Button on Pass Rush

Even if defensive end Aldon Smith doesn't play a single snap for the Seahawks in 2021, there are still plenty of options in free agency to choose from and they may be fine with what they already have on the roster.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... -pass-rush
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I am sure he could play all season the way the courts work now.
    The league took awhile to suspend Reed.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:Video could show that Smith never touched the man who instigated battery charges against him in Louisiana. Video could support the notion that Smith and other family members went to talk to the husband of Smith’s pregnant sister after an alleged altercation between the two.

Smith will contend, we’re told, that he didn’t touch the man. If the video can indeed back up that up, this situation could be resolved quickly, just as the Donald situation was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vi ... r-BB1fRzQ5

As Seahawks Await Details on Aldon Smith, There's No Need to Push Panic Button on Pass Rush

Even if defensive end Aldon Smith doesn't play a single snap for the Seahawks in 2021, there are still plenty of options in free agency to choose from and they may be fine with what they already have on the roster.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... -pass-rush

Glad to hear that. Hopefully, for everyone involved, that's the case.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    JustTheTip wrote:Rick Mirer is not a blemish in seahawks history.

Eh,,,,,,,

Excellent counterpoint. The political forum could use this kind of quality participation.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• JustTheTip wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Eh,,,,,,,

Excellent counterpoint. The political forum could use this kind of quality participation.

Compared with what's in there now, you're actually correct! :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Worst case, according to police he choked someone out.

Does that mean he can no longer play football?

Punishment ranges from several thousand dollars to years in jail.

But even if he did do it, I probably don't care unless I am the guy getting choked out. Unless he has to serve time, he should say on the roster. Prematurely releasing him would be stupid and only hurt us.

Smith's list of trans is long and admittedly weird. He was still a wrecking ball against us.

Clearly, we are not dealing with a MENSA candidate here.

What would be annoying is to see him cut, then do a Kareem Hunt on us and be fantastic somewhere else.

We should just expect he will probably do some crazy things, hopefully still be able to play, and rack up sacks for us.

Barkley supposedly threw someone through a plate glass window once, (or that is an urban legend). Nobody was clamoring to get rid of him for it.

Would anyone really be that upset if he did it but still played?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

This story comes full circle if the woman you turned down is a Patriots fan
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• HawkRiderFan wrote:
    rjdriver wrote:In 1991 as a senior in HS, I pulled the biggest DB move in my life. I was asked to a dance at a rival HS by a a kind of sweet but homely girl who was a waitress at Denny's. Made up some excuse of why I couldn't go. A week before the dance, a hot, popular girl asked me to the same dance. I went. I tried to avoid that girl every time we went on a late night Denny's run. One time she saw me, came up to our table and said to me.."You don't have to hide from me, I didn't think you would go anyway when I asked". When we went to pay, I found my meal had been comped by her. I've never been more disgusted with myself, and I still think about it to this day.

This story comes full circle if the woman you turned down is a Patriots fan

:snack:
    For the win...
    PateratoWilson
    NET Veteran

• JustTheTip wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:

Rick Mirer is not a blemish in seahawks history. Good rookie year and being able to draft both Springs and Jones in the 1997 draft. Who knows what they would have done, but they took Springs first so without the Mirer trade the Seahawks may have never had Jones.

That's an outstanding counterpoint!

And to those of you who bash poor Jim Mora Jr:
    He traded our 2nd round pick in 2009 to the Broncos for a future 1st round pick in 2010. They used that pick for Earl Thomas.
    So, yes, rjdriver has helped this franchise.

Alton Smith on the other hand...
    Hopefully this is more of a Quinton Dunbar situation and not a Josh Gordon situation. Time will tell!
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• If the story about his sister is true, they should give him a raise.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

• Over the past few years, I do my best to not get too excited about any Seahawks pick up until they have suited up for 3 consecutive games.
    hgwellz12
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    XxXdragonXxX wrote:It's really funny looking back at the Aldon Smith signing thread. Literally nobody in that thread thought it was a bad move, but now that he got in trouble we have all the Captain Himdsights in here criticizing Pete and John.

There was only two in the whole thread and Seymour was being sarcastic so really only one post criticizing the FO. Think your jumping the gun on that claim.

brimsalabim, Tusc2000, and Seymour, who was being sarcastic but not in the way you seem to think.
    XxXdragonXxX
    NET Veteran

• Well that blew up in there faces. I just think this could be the year this team falls apart.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• JustTheTip wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Eh,,,,,,,

Trying to be nice. Mirer was awful and he certainly was a blight on the Seahawks history. A huge miss. More power to you if you feel he wasnt. I'm not going to argue with you.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Northwest Seahawk wrote:Well that blew up in there faces. I just think this could be the year this team falls apart.

Thats a bit melodramatic. Smith wasn't even guaranteed a place on the roster. Loads of times we've cut vets.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Northwest Seahawk wrote:Well that blew up in there faces. I just think this could be the year this team falls apart.

Really? *This* makes you think *that*? :229031_confused2: :roll:

<edit: also, 'their' :mrgreen: >
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    JustTheTip wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Eh,,,,,,,

Trying to be nice. Mirer was awful and he certainly was a blight on the Seahawks history. A huge miss. More power to you if you feel he wasnt. I'm not going to argue with you.

Not really a blemish, per se. Sure, he was a draft miss, but at the end of the day, they got 4 years out of him and then flipped him and a later pick for another first rounder.

Not all players are stars, and all told, Mirer still provided more value than most players ever do.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Aldon Smith is no longer still wanted by NO authorities having turned himself in to them on Tuesday evening, he was released upon a $25000 bond.

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football ... ldon-smith

We will now see where this matter is going. For me I'd take a chance on him there seems to be a lot more to this story than we know.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• jammerhawk wrote:Aldon Smith is no longer still wanted by NO authorities having turned himself in to them on Tuesday evening, he was released upon a $25000 bond.

We will now see where this matter is going. For me I'd take a chance on him there seems to be a lot more to this story than we know.

If the so called victim did in fact choke his pregnant wife and kick her in the back as reported, why then wasn't he arrested for assault by the very same police department? Isn't that considered a potential crime by them, or is spousal assault considered acceptable in that state?

It seems there is some cherry picking going on with their prosecution office and police department. That is if you can call them professionals. Just saying.
    Last edited by kf3339 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• jammerhawk wrote:Aldon Smith is no longer still wanted by NO authorities having turned himself in to them on Tuesday evening, he was released upon a $25000 bond.

Thanks, jammerhawk. Updated title to reflect.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• If Aldon truly was defending his sister, then not only do I want him on the team, but I'm an even bigger fan of his.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:If Aldon truly was defending his sister, then not only do I want him on the team, but I'm an even bigger fan of his.

Just tell him the opposing QB messed with a family member and let it play out legally on the field.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• The only thing I care about is whether he can play or not, and if he produces when he plays.

We won't know that for a while.

I am honestly more concerned with his stamina and endurance given all that time off, as well as his motor.

The Dunbar thing resolved itself, only to find that Dunbar was not that great even when he did play.

So the legal issues are less a concern because even when resolved it isn't the outcome we always want.

But the risk is worth it.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:The only thing I care about is whether he can play or not, and if he produces when he plays.

I am honestly more concerned with his stamina and endurance given all that time off, as well as his motor.

The Dunbar thing resolved itself, only to find that Dunbar was not that great even when he did play.

So the legal issues are less a concern because even when resolved it isn't the outcome we always want.

Agreed. Aldon Smith has no business being a league minimum player with how talented he is. I take that risk all day every day. Perks of being a destination franchise, guys like him want to come here to reset their careers.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:The only thing I care about is whether he can play or not, and if he produces when he plays.

I agree with you. It's hard to judge the results immediately.

Letting things play out isn't something our current media-based, instant-information culture is good at, though. Rushing to judgment (in spite of apparently being such a tolerant, non-judgmental generation) and raging about it seems the norm in just about every situation.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    JustTheTip wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Eh,,,,,,,

He was a $h!t QB (except his rookie year) during a time when the Seahawks would have been $h!t regardless of their QB. So the only thing lost was the draft pick, which turned into (likely) Jones.
    JustTheTip
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Maelstrom787 wrote:If Aldon truly was defending his sister, then not only do I want him on the team, but I'm an even bigger fan of his.

:ditto:
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    TwistedHusky wrote:The only thing I care about is whether he can play or not, and if he produces when he plays.

I agree with you. It's hard to judge the results immediately.

Letting things play out isn't something our current media-based, instant-information culture is good at, though. Rushing to judgment (in spite of apparently being such a tolerant, non-judgmental generation) and raging about it seems the norm in just about every situation.

It's why I seldom comment on $h!t like this until at least a couple of days have passed. Some yo-yo posts a tweet or a 'gram and it goes viral, and is usually inaccurate at best and downright false at worst. The event is a bad look on its face, but as usual details are sketchy and generally rather inflammatory in the first few hours.
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Can we trade him for picks? S/
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:Can we trade him for picks? S/

The Cowboys may suddenly be interested in him again due to this. They may give a couple 1sts!
    nIdahoSeahawk
    NET Starter

:ditto:
    TraderGary
    NET Rookie

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information