Do You Remember?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Everything about it, including being beyond surprised at how far up Bryan Anger went.

That was hilarious.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Also, the absolute SHOCK the day before with Bruce Irvin being taken at 15.

That was nuts, but ended up working out decently enough.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Hated the Irvin pick (still do), but it all worked out.

sdog1981

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":stdlnnz3 said:

Me too, I was a big fan of Chandler Jones in that draft and I was sure they were going to draft him in the first round.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
sdog1981":ymra4ip0 said:
pittpnthrs":ymra4ip0 said:

Me too, I was a big fan of Chandler Jones in that draft and I was sure they were going to draft him in the first round.
As was I. Woulda, coulda.

Jville

Reaction score
626834492.jpg.0.jpg

Jacksonville will be drafting Trevor Lawrence with the first pick in the 2021 NFL draft, and so Meyer figured that he should talk to Russ about his experiences as a rookie QB under Bevell. As Palmer wrote, Wilson told Meyer about “Bevell’s ability to get him ready to perform at a high level very quickly (during) his rookie season.” We will have to wait and see if Bevell can pull off a similar feat with Trevor Lawrence after helping to start a future Hall of Fame career with Russell Wilson.

Russell Wilson had a ‘huge impact’ on Urban Meyer’s decision to hire Darrell Bevell >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/4/28/22406871/russell-wilson-had-huge-impact-urban-meyer-decision-to-hire-darrell-bevell[/urltargetblank]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I remember Smell Diaper and a bunch of other "experts" being all butt hurt over the pick. How'd that turn out????
Well, nearly a decade later people STILL fight how wrong they were. Let alone that he's already an all time great QB on his way to the HOF. I wonder if these guys gets sick of being wrong, over and over again???

pmedic920

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":wzrug53h said:
I remember Smell Diaper and a bunch of other "experts" being all butt hurt over the pick. How'd that turn out????
Well, nearly a decade later people STILL fight how wrong they were. Let alone that he's already an all time great QB on his way to the HOF. I wonder if these guys gets sick of being wrong, over and over again???
This video will jog some memories.

[youtube]KMY5aDaoQkk[/youtube]

Comments on Bruce, Bobby, and Russ are solid gold. I’ve always considered Peter S. a huge douche. If you want his take on RW ff to about 1:47.

“Sit’em on the bench, what’s he gunna do”

Lol.

Rat

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of people were wrong about the Russ pick, but keep in mind, he had to do something that hadn't been done before to succeed. I don't blame those who were skeptical at the time. I didn't dislike the pick, but was surprised he went in the third. I guess I shouldn't have been, because it sounds like half the league was targeting him there.

I wouldn't really call the Irvin pick a success, as you don't draft somebody in the top 15 expecting to not even pick up their fifth-year option. Much better than Quinton Coples though, which is who I was calling for when we were on the clock.

My reactions to that first day were more:

Bruce: :187734: :229031_banghead: :angry017: :enraged:

Wagz: :lol:

Russ: :shock: :2thumbs:

kf3339

Reaction score
I remember the day and draft not because we picked RW at the top of the 3rd round. I thought that was a very good risk signing at the time. Mostly because I'm short in height myself, and wanted to root for the shorter QB. Besides, I remember when he was on the TV show that Gruden did and he was a strong believer in RW. He even told those so called experts that RW was on about an inch shorter than Brees, and showed that with his two fingers barely apart on the draft day broadcast.

No, my memory was how pissed I was when we traded out of our 1st round spot instead of taking Fletcher Cox as our starting 3tech DT. That still pisses me off to this day.

Rat

Reaction score
kf3339":32pfjjcy said:
No, my memory was how pissed I was when we traded out of our 1st round spot instead of taking Fletcher Cox as our starting 3tech DT. That still pisses me off to this day.

Got a 4th (Jaye Howard) and a 6th (Jeremy Lane) in that trade down. Cox probably would have been better.