How do you feel now, after the first round of the draft?

Vesuve

Reaction score
jmahon316":1mctjf7f said:
What say you? Did your expectations get fulfilled?

Be gentle on me. I'm away on a work trip far away.

Did we trade away our first round?

We have 3 draft picks this year?

PCJS usually pick well after the first round.

OP
OP
jmahon316

jmahon316

Reaction score
Vesuve":1ye6k3au said:
jmahon316":1ye6k3au said:
What say you? Did your expectations get fulfilled?

Be gentle on me. I'm away on a work trip far away.

Did we trade away our first round?

We have 3 draft picks this year?

PCJS usually pick well after the first round.

We had no picks in the 1st round, but we could focus on our division rivals...MMmyes, we ate their liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. Succulent as that sounds, there is more beyond the surface, perhaps you could say more than just "skin deep" :179422:

Honestly I just want to get a general gauge on how everyone feels after the 1st round of the draft, and if there were any surprises for anyone

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I found the praise to the Niners for their "smoke screen" annoying. Sure it kept drama but what else did it do? Did it cause any other team to panic and make a trade up giving up too much to take someone else? If someone had made a pre-draft trade to move into position to draft Lance because they bought the talk that the Niners would take Jones then I can see it, but outside of just getting attention I didn't see what it accomplished.

chrispy

Reaction score
Hard to say after 1 pick (for division rivals), but it's looking more-and-more like PC/JS may have played the 2021 draft/covid situation well.

1)I heard that 600+ players signed with agents this year as opposed to 1600-1800 on a normal year. Lots of kids stayed for the extra year of eligibility after NCAA allowed it because of Covid. I had no idea it was such a large number until last night. It results in fewer players this year and 50%+ more players next year. A second round pick this year might be a 3 or 4 in a normal year and a 2nd in 2022 might be a 1st in a normal year.
1a, exciting for next year) Just from a numbers perspective, there will be hundreds more UDFAs next year where (historically) Seahawks have done well. Maybe this means JS opts to trade down this year for late rounders next year. ...or, in general, trading picks this year for picks next year. ...maybe this perspective fits with his new contract extension...

2)Finding the "diamond in the rough" this year will be significantly more difficult because there's just less information. There were fewer games, some players sitting out, less access to work-outs, less travel for scouts....

3)Players, overall, played less last season in College compared to regular years. Couple that with cancellation of some off-season activities. Rookies in 2021 will be at a disadvantage when compared with rookies in any other year.

I think of the draft like a bell curve: the left side has a few players that almost everyone expects to succeed. The right side has a few players that almost everyone expects to struggle. The middle bulge is a crap-shoot. It could be argued that 2021 is the year to play it safe and "take what you can get." PC/JS have always "swung for the fences" and I would suggest that 2021 is the perfect draft to fit their philosophy. Fill absolute needs with FAs then go for the biggest upside in the draft. You hope you get a special athlete, but the misses are less expensive. So back to the original thread title: It seems like the 49rs came to the same conclusion, of sorts. Instead of using a large number of picks on athletes that, on a normal year, may fall much lower in the draft, they moved up to get someone they evaluated as more of a sure thing- to the left side of the curve. 49rs have a good team and seem to be drafting smart considering the circumstances.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Wasn't much trading this year and QB's went pretty early, can't imagine JS would have gotten many bites to move back. There's a good amount of talent between end of R1 and R2. Have to imagine they'll move back tonight but there will be some solid players at their spot.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Niners should have taken Fields. Glad they didn’t.

kf3339

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":1tru16s0 said:

For what they gave to move up it's a huge risk. His downside is as great as his potential upside. He had no real game tape to justify that pick. Fields would have been a major problem for us and the other NFC West teams. Even Jones would have been a potential issue. He won't see the field this season unless it's mop up duty, or when they are eliminated from playoff contention.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":10mha50y said:

Completely agree, The Bears are going to be a problem in the NFC in the near future if they give Fields some weapons. Absolutely baffled that he fell but hey the drafts crazy.

Really happy the Niners gave away to much to jump up to 3 to take a guy that may have been there at 10-15. I mean he played 1 FCS season right?

Own The West

Reaction score
Last year I blanched when the 9ers took Kinlaw, but this year nobody came into the division that worries me.

There was a run on CBs, yet Melifonwu is still there. Won't cry if he goes somewhere else, but he's my draft-crush this year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The pick we got with the 23rd pick being Jamal Adams was better than anything we could have got in the draft yesterday at pick 23 and whatever pick the team's 3rd rd pick would have been.

Adams has been a Pro Bowl player every year he has been in the league and is a difference maker and a tone setter. In the end while some may argue about what the team paid for what they got or that the team overpaid for Adams he did set NFL league record for sacks by a S last season and improves the D when he is on the field.

Some can argue about Adams' ball skills or their claim of his stone hands but they can't argue the statistical records he has shown since joining the league as the 6th overall pick in the 2017 draft. He's only 25 and will be 26 this season.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The pick we got with the 23rd pick being Jamal Adams was better than anything we could have got in the draft yesterday at pick 23 and whatever pick the team's 3rd rd pick would have been.

Adams has been a Pro Bowl player every year he has been in the league and is a difference maker and a tone setter. In the end while some may argue about what the team paid for what they got or that the team overpaid for Adams he did set NFL league record for sacks by a S last season and improves the D when he is on the field.

Some can argue about Adams' ball skills or their claim of his stone hands but they can't argue the statistical records he has shown since joining the league as the 6th overall pick in the 2017 draft. He's only 25 and will be 26 this season. To me he's certainly worth the picks spent and clearly worth keeping on the team.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Glad we didn’t pick round 1 and there’s no guarantee we could have traded out of round 1! Lots of sketchy players in round 1

Hanjag

Reaction score
I love it!

I predicted that the centers would slip. So there were none taken in the 1st Rd. My pick was often in draft simulations Landon Dickerson. Position of need for future starter. Position of need for depth. Landon was injured in the SEC championship game so Pocic can start the year if he is not fully recovered and that injury may push his position back to us. Top 32 picks in I have seen Dickerson everywhere from late 1st round to 2ndRd. with 32 picks gone ESPN has him rated as the 17th highest rated player left.

Other top center prospects
OKlahoma's Creed Humphrey #55 over all
Josh Meyer's Ohio State #106
Quinn Meinerz Wisconsen

(Vera-Tucker USC) He is listed as a Guard but was also some people's top 1 or 2 center went #12 in the first.

If we can't get one of the top 2 remaining centers go BPA available which could be WR, OT, WR, CB
Moore wr #23 ranked grade 90
Jenkens OT #26 grade 89
Barmore DT #30 G89
eichenberg OT Grade 88
Asante Samual CB 88

Dillon Radunz OT grade 87
Tyson Campbell CB 86

Levi Onwuzurike DT 86

I have not studied up a great deal but Landon Dickerson, Jenkins, Eichenberg, Baremore, Radunz, Onwurzike, any of them fall to the Hawks I am geeked up.
If Landon,Jenkins, Baremore, Eichenberg, Radunze are there take them and don't trade down.

Rat

Reaction score
Not sure who I would have wanted had we kept pick #23. I would have been bummed that Farley went the pick before, but I would have been happy with Eric Stokes or Gregory Rousseau as well.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I kept looking at all those teams fans in separate sections wondering
why there were fans with no picks even there like ours..It just felt
staged up for tv and all those clapping n yelling for every pick?
The players picked some you can clearly tell they are going to be me
not team guys..I don't think I'm going to watch anymore drafts it's not
the same like it used to be just meh tbh.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":1c5xcvk5 said:

I'm not sold on Fields. Sure he's mobile, but his accuracy scares me. Also, what Ohio State QB has ever panned out?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2pzwkeva said:

Some can argue about Adams' ball skills or their claim of his stone hands but they can't argue the statistical records he has shown since joining the league as the 6th overall pick in the 2017 draft. He's only 25 and will be 26 this season.

I can argue his impact. With Adams, the defense was in route to become one of the historically worst defenses ever. It wasnt until the Dunlap signing (a true pass rusher) that the defense started to improve. Now Adams will be coming off of numerous surgeries and his contract will be a nightmare as it approaches next season. The signing was a mistake and the team is worse off for it.

OP
OP
jmahon316

jmahon316

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2z18i6ix said:
Mistashoesta":2z18i6ix said:

I'm not sold on Fields. Sure he's mobile, but his accuracy scares me. Also, what Ohio State QB has ever panned out?

Tenor

massari

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":nlak6aat said:
I can argue his impact. With Adams, the defense was in route to become one of the historically worst defenses ever. It wasnt until the Dunlap signing (a true pass rusher) that the defense started to improve. Now Adams will be coming off of numerous surgeries and his contract will be a nightmare as it approaches next season. The signing was a mistake and the team is worse off for it.
Was it Dunlap or...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1369024246069030913[/tweet]
Maybe a bit of both