Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021 Draft RD 2 PK 56 WR D'wayne Eskridge, W Michigan

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Schneider confirmed in presser they had a trade back set up that fell through a few minutes before the pick. Stuck and took the BPA on their board, Eskridge.

Says Eskridge is versatile. Don't have a specific plan for him, they're gonna work him in to wherever works.

So they took the highest rated player on the board because they had no plan if the trade down didnt happen and they have no plan for the player they picked. Just brilliant. Seriously, this FO reminds me of a deer looking at headlights,,,,,,lost.

You're off the rails. What would you like for the plan to be if a trade down falls through? Take the lowest rated player on their board? Not make a pick at all? What the hell?

I can understand not liking the pick because you valued an offensive lineman more. I did for the most part too. But this gripe is just stupidity.

Its not stupidity. The way its worded is that JS and the FO got stuck when they couldnt trade down so they took the best player available regardless of position. To hell with the needs of the team.

Let me guess - WR3 wasn't the top need on a generic media "team needs" list, therefore it's an invalid pick. Facebook comment section logic.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• I too would have taken Creed but for all those complaining let me remind you...

Russel Wilson (with Flynn just signed?)
    Richard Sherman (who?)
    James Carpenter (Sabans reaction alone)

Eskridge reminds me of a Paul Richardson/Golden Tate cross. Fast and good in the open field. Hopefully he’ll be one added to this list in a few years.
    seabowl
    NET Veteran

• We needed a returner. So that is a plus.

Additionally, this facilitates a quick passing game.

And finally, anything that makes it hard for us to run the ball (small WRs are not ideal blockers for the run game) is fine by me. I love Carson too but Pete's obsession with running the ball is counterproductive. This makes is much harder for Pete to play the godawful style of football he has predilections for.

Weirdly, this is the kind of pick that tends to work out for us.

Cautiously optimistic.

We need OL help. And ironically that is the reason I didn't want us picking OL. Because I don't think we have the ability or knowledge in how to evaluate OL or develop them. We would end up with one of those crappy 'versatile' OL like Pocic that can do a lot of things or play a number of positions, but not really be good to great in any of them.

We don't want great OL we want versatile interchangeable parts instead. So I am happy they are not wasting draft picks on OL because they are not competent at picking them anyway. Much more confident in our ability to pick an undersized WR that can still be effective.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Seanhawk wrote:
    Chukarhawk wrote:Dude played corner for most of his college career? Well. we needed a CB and now we got both with one pick. WINNER!!!!

Most? Where do you people get your info? He played 4 of 45 games at corner. And he started those 4 games at WR too.

Yeah, but you have to admit it plays into the narrative nicely.
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    So they took the highest rated player on the board because they had no plan if the trade down didnt happen and they have no plan for the player they picked. Just brilliant. Seriously, this FO reminds me of a deer looking at headlights,,,,,,lost.

You're off the rails. What would you like for the plan to be if a trade down falls through? Take the lowest rated player on their board? Not make a pick at all? What the hell?

I can understand not liking the pick because you valued an offensive lineman more. I did for the most part too. But this gripe is just stupidity.

Its not stupidity. The way its worded is that JS and the FO got stuck when they couldnt trade down so they took the best player available regardless of position. To hell with the needs of the team.

Let me guess - WR3 wasn't the top need on a generic media "team needs" list, therefore it's an invalid pick. Facebook comment section logic.

Where is the teams biggest weaknesses? It sure isnt at WR.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:Schneider confirmed in presser they had a trade back set up that fell through a few minutes before the pick. Stuck and took the BPA on their board, Eskridge.

Says Eskridge is versatile. Don't have a specific plan for him, they're gonna work him in to wherever works.

WR was a huge need.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Geologic wrote:Remember when the seahawks got owned in the last 6 weeks of the season?

How many yards did DK Metcalf get in the beginning of the season versus the last parts?

Bullrush the offensive line and Russell is gonna eat $h!t

This is a joke right? We were 5-1 in the last six weeks of the season. The only thing we got owned on was the playoff loss and fantasy owners of Russell Wilson.

Yards for individual players literally do not matter unless you are a fantasy football fan.

The offensive line has already been changed this offseason. The main reason the Rams were able to run over our line in the playoff game is happily retired and will never darken our field again. The fact that Carroll was willing to destroy the continuity that the line had put together over the few games without a washed up Iupati by plugging him in against that defensive line was stupid. Pocic and Brown had to play trying to help Iupati and that opens up opportunities for the others on the defensive line.

Gabe Jackson replacing the Iupati/Simmons platoon is a massive upgrade. It means that Pocic nor Brown have to try to cover for the lackluster play at left guard.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• Trust me Guy's, I can valuate talent with the best scouts in the NFL....this guy will take the league by storm. He will one day be in the HOF ! DK Metcalf will soon become our # 2 receiver! BOOK IT!!!
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• Smellyman wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

WR was a huge need.

How? We are talking about a #3 receiver that will be splitting time with Swain and every other Joe Schmoe on the team. If the team was minus either Metcalf or Lockette then I would be onboard, but not for a guy that will be shagging kicks and running end arounds.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• When the o-line is jacked and stacked already , then why sweat the small stuff ? :D
    xray
    NET Veteran

• K.J WRIGHT wrote:Trust me Guy's, I can valuate talent with the best scouts in the NFL....this guy will take the league by storm. He will one day be in the HOF ! DK Metcalf will soon become our # 2 receiver! BOOK IT!!!

As I think DK can be the best WR in the league, I’m not sure I agree but....I hope you’re right.

Happy with our weapons on O. I’m hoping we can get old Uncle Will back. This could very well be the best receiving corp in the league.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran

• Hmm, I wonder if it's possible if a guy that averaged 130 receiving yards per game last season might be able to do a bit more than just shag kicks and run end arounds?

Nah. I'm sure they picked him just to give him 1-2 touches per game and shag kicks. That definitely makes sense.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Elemas wrote:
    K.J WRIGHT wrote:Trust me Guy's, I can valuate talent with the best scouts in the NFL....this guy will take the league by storm. He will one day be in the HOF ! DK Metcalf will soon become our # 2 receiver! BOOK IT!!!

As I think DK can be the best WR in the league, I’m not sure I agree but....I hope you’re right.

Happy with our weapons on O. I’m hoping we can get old Uncle Will back. This could very well be the best receiving corp in the league.

I think Metcalf is way overrated . To me he doesn't seem to love the game all that much. He also tends to hang his head a lot. I think he will have a decent career if he Mans up some. YMMV.
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• Chapow wrote:Hmm, I wonder if it's possible if a guy that averaged 130 receiving yards per game last season might be able to do a bit more than just shag kicks and run end arounds?

Nah. I'm sure they picked him just to give him 1-2 touches per game and shag kicks. That definitely makes sense.

LMAO
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

Where is the teams biggest weaknesses? It sure isnt at WR.

It sounds like they went bpa. Why are you anti bpa?
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• BASF wrote:
    Geologic wrote:Remember when the seahawks got owned in the last 6 weeks of the season?

How many yards did DK Metcalf get in the beginning of the season versus the last parts?

This is a joke right? We were 5-1 in the last six weeks of the season. The only thing we got owned on was the playoff loss and fantasy owners of Russell Wilson.

Yards for individual players literally do not matter unless you are a fantasy football fan.

The offensive line has already been changed this offseason. The main reason the Rams were able to run over our line in the playoff game is happily retired and will never darken our field again. The fact that Carroll was willing to destroy the continuity that the line had put together over the few games without a washed up Iupati by plugging him in against that defensive line was stupid. Pocic and Brown had to play trying to help Iupati and that opens up opportunities for the others on the defensive line.

Gabe Jackson replacing the Iupati/Simmons platoon is a massive upgrade. It means that Pocic nor Brown have to try to cover for the lackluster play at left guard.

I agree with this. Iuapti was the weak link last year, not Pocic. Our OL is improved over last year and there will be more to come.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    Seanhawk wrote:

WR was a huge need.

How? We are talking about a #3 receiver that will be splitting time with Swain and every other Joe Schmoe on the team. If the team was minus either Metcalf or Lockette then I would be onboard, but not for a guy that will be shagging kicks and running end arounds.

He is light years better than Swain and Joe Schmoe. If Lockett or DK go down they would be screwed. Legit game breaker to scare the D and help open it up for DK and Lockett. Yeah, hugely important.

Wasn't much fun with Jalen Ramsey shutting down DK

Or perhaps you like the way they performed down the stretch with nobody making plays.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• Before they took Eskridge, this is what the WR corp looked like behind Metcalf and Lockett,

Freddie Swain
    Penny Hart
    John Ursua
    Darvin Kidsy
    Aaron Fuller
    Cody Thompson

No disrespect intended, but that is an awfully uninspiring group of fringe roster / practice squad guys (with the possible exception of Swain, but that remains to be seen).
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Can’t he be coached up wrt route running? Also I recall that being a weakness for DK when he was picked. Pretty much every expert called WR a need citing very little behind Metcalf and Lockett so I really wonder where anyone saying it’s not a need gets their info from.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• Momofantv wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Strengths
    Averaged 21.8 yards per catch over his last 74 catches.
    High school sprint and long-jump champion.
    Scored touchdowns of 72, 76 and 85 yards in 2020.
    Scary burst for quick vertical separation if punch is whiffed.
    Rapid foot turnover through the route.
    Maintains good tempo through the route.
    Able to plant and cut at fairly crisp angles.
    Timing getting to full extension to make high-point catch.
    Big time catch-and-run talent with instant burst to hit the home run.
    Ability to stretch defense from the slot.
    Averaged 27.5 yards per return with a touchdown as kick returner in 2020.

Weaknesses
    Ran a very simple route tree.
    Bumped off track inside five yards.
    Hip tightness prevents quick sink-and-open.
    Average acceleration in restart once he slows his feet.
    Geared down route speed telegraphs underneath route.
    Needs to sell deeper, more committed route fakes.
    Ball tracking and ball skills miss the mark.
    Drop rate and catch focus has been an issue for him.
    Unable to catch through crowding consistently enough.

He will need to learn some things, his competition level as well as limited games last year hindered a big part of a learning curve I would expect, but he has tools that can be worked on, he has a pretty good mentor in Lockett to help as well as Ursua on the practice squad.

Worst 2nd round pick ever, dude isn’t good enough to start 4th round talent

You win worst post of the week
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• I have seen a lot of comparisons to Percy Harvin.

I remember the LOB Hawks playing the Vikings and being afraid of Harvin every time he touched the ball until he was injured in that game. Harvin was an RB-WR 5'11" 4.41
    vs
    5'8"-or 9" 190# WR-DB KR with a 4.38 or 4.39 40 AND 190#.

The Chiefs cheetah T. Hill ran a 4.29 and is 5'10" 185#

So the package could be great.

The offense looks improved at most positions
    O-Line+
    Tight end +
    WR +
    TE =/+
    RB I hate Homer and Dallas, I love Carson, Penny is OK but hasn't lived up to potential or 1st round status, I like Collins better than Homer-Dallas, I also like unsigned Bo Scarbrough way more than Homer-Dallas. Can we make the best move for the team and drop Homer-Dallas and sign Bo?

I think drafting a #3 WR in the 2nd round is a high pedigree.

I am always a BPA guy but how happy are you if this guy Is some sort of Harvin-Hill-and best 5'10" and under WR = AB~yes Antonio Brown, Edelman, TY Hilton, Tate, Steve Smith,

Is this dude rookie Antonio Brown?
    Hanjag
    NET Bench Warmer

• "Is this dude rookie Antonio Brown?"
    Minus the hysterics, por favor.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• HawkRiderFan wrote:Can’t he be coached up wrt route running? Also I recall that being a weakness for DK when he was picked. Pretty much every expert called WR a need citing very little behind Metcalf and Lockett so I really wonder where anyone saying it’s not a need gets their info from.

I believe they pull their info out of their poop chute.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

• Quick learner! Eskridge is a rare breed of person that sees it and then does it. I don’t think he should model his game after anyone except in practice. Eskridge should screw around with things and then figure out how to best incorporate them into his own Thing, I know all the players in Seattle are being taught to do that but Eskridge is such a dynamic athlete with the rare mental capacity to do it.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran

• Antonio Brown's rookie season stats... 16 receptions on 19 targets for 167 yards and 0 TDs.

I'm betting that Eskridge will certainly better those stats.... every one!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• I have to say as I do more and more research, I like this pick a lot. On the video, he seems a lot more polished than I would have expected coming out of a small school. He will be a very good weapon in our new offense.

BASF
    NET Veteran

• The kids route running looks solid.
    Frozenropers
    NET Veteran

• BASF wrote:I have to say as I do more and more research, I like this pick a lot. On the video, he seems a lot more polished than I would have expected coming out of a small school. He will be a very good weapon in our new offense.

For what it’s worth some scrub named Antonio Brown came from Central Michigan. Both were very good college returners.
    nwHawk
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Some more insight into what they're thinking with this pick:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -eskridge/

“Shane has talked since we first started talking about schematically how we’re going about it, philosophically how we’re going about the offense about having three legitimate threats in passing situations so a defense can’t lock you down,” Carroll said. “It was one of the reasons Gerald [Everett] was such a big get for us, was such a great acquisition for us in the offseason to help us. But we always want to have three guys out there that they have to work with and contend with so they can’t just double guys up and take them out of the offense.

“We’ll find out how well D’Wayne fits it in that regard but we’re counting on him being a factor.”
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• hoxrox wrote:Some more insight into what they're thinking with this pick:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -eskridge/

“Shane has talked since we first started talking about schematically how we’re going about it, philosophically how we’re going about the offense about having three legitimate threats in passing situations so a defense can’t lock you down,” Carroll said. “It was one of the reasons Gerald [Everett] was such a big get for us, was such a great acquisition for us in the offseason to help us. But we always want to have three guys out there that they have to work with and contend with so they can’t just double guys up and take them out of the offense.

“We’ll find out how well D’Wayne fits it in that regard but we’re counting on him being a factor.”

I can't be the only one finding it beyond hilarious that the people who generally complain about Pete's "meddling" are now getting mad at him making a pick specifically based on his offensive coordinators vision for the offense
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Nah, one thing has become crystal clear: Some people are not happy unless they are mad about something.
    To each his/her own.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Nah, one thing has become crystal clear: Some people are not happy unless they are mad about something.
    To each his/her own.

It’s an addiction. I read an article about it.

People who vent in public forums seek relevance. By reacting, either positively or negatively, you give them affirmation that they matter and the cycle continues. You can say don’t feed the trolls, but we all do it. The choice lies in whether you post to contribute or post to antagonize.
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

• Good points
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler

• https://youtu.be/TS3LzB-ZCoY

Dude seems to catch with his hands, he also faced lots of double teaming.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• 4.35-40 You can't teach that kind of speed. 5-9 190 pounds he's no P-Rich he's got some meat on him. I think Golden Tate type talent is very possible. This is not a selection to be upset about.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:https://youtu.be/TS3LzB-ZCoY

Love how smoothly and securely he catches and the way his catches often seem to ignite his quick and elusive runs. If he keeps catching like that in the pros, he'll soon be the envy of 31 other clubs.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

• Ruminator wrote:
    toffee wrote:https://youtu.be/TS3LzB-ZCoY

Love how smoothly and securely he catches and the way his catches often seem to ignite his quick and elusive runs. If he keeps catching like that in the pros, he'll soon be the envy of 31 other clubs.

I heard the Rams were planning on taking him with their pick right after us.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• I like the pick.

His film is really interesting, he doesn't look like he's running fast, but he's fast.

He also looks 100% in control of his body, none of the Harvin bumbling around. That was a nice block he threw on that film clip.

And he also looks VERY competitive, something that always bothered me about Moore and Swain. That I like. Aggressive like Tate, but more of a grounded and in control player. Someone who knows how to be grounded and secure the ball. Doesn't take unnecessary risks, but does take some if he knows he's got a shot at making a play. I wouldn't be surprised if he is #3 over Swain come the start of the season.

I like the pick, as far as where he's picked, seems about right. Didn't do any analysis on CB or OL that were left, and the last OL we took early was Ifedi right? I think the Seahawks are just kind of broken at drafting early OL. That Stone Forsythe looks like a good OL pick though. So yeah, the Eskridge pick works. Wouldn't be surprised either if he has an 800+ multi-purpose yard season (RB/WR)
    byau
    NET Veteran

• K.J WRIGHT wrote:
    Elemas wrote:
    K.J WRIGHT wrote:Trust me Guy's, I can valuate talent with the best scouts in the NFL....this guy will take the league by storm. He will one day be in the HOF ! DK Metcalf will soon become our # 2 receiver! BOOK IT!!!

I think Metcalf is way overrated . To me he doesn't seem to love the game all that much. He also tends to hang his head a lot. I think he will have a decent career if he Mans up some. YMMV.

That end to end sprint against the Cards will be in every highlight video that talks about never giving up on a play. I don’t see how you can say that just from that one play alone.
    FattyKnuckle
    NET Rookie

• K.J WRIGHT wrote:
    Elemas wrote:

You brag about your talent evaluation being pro level, and then you drop this doozy on us?

Oof
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• BASF wrote:
    Geologic wrote:Remember when the seahawks got owned in the last 6 weeks of the season?

Finally! Somebody gets it! Iupati was THE reason for the OLines problems! Why they put him in there was beyond me!

Wyman said Duane would come off the field pissed off because Iupati was missing basic stunts, easy hand offs!
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• ivotuk wrote:
    BASF wrote:

Finally! Somebody gets it! Iupati was THE reason for the OLines problems! Why they put him in there was beyond me!

Wyman said Duane would come off the field pissed off because Iupati was missing basic stunts, easy hand offs!
    Wow, with years of experience, multiple seasons of all pro and pro bowls. Iupati lack football IQ?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Funny how that multiple seasons/injuries thing works. The football IQ drops bigtime when you can't move anymore. Thinking about what you WANT/NEED to do isn't the same thing as doing it.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

• While there are great fans on this site actual football knowledge is limited. I was banned on my original account for saying Russ would be the goat Hawks QB after his pre-season week 3 performance his rookie year. All the Flynn and Hasselbeck fans got mad and reported me. DK was a scrub to many here.... now look at him. Funny how these things happen around here. I’m sure most know far more than Pete and JS.... when the hawks open the next armchair GM or coach position we have a lot of potential applicants.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Scientist,

You were banned from saying that Wilson was going to be our best QB ever?

What?

Not to veer off topic, but how? What would be the rationale for banning someone saying that?

On Eskridge, I have no idea. We need the depth. He looked pretty good at the Senior Bowl. I am a believer that guys that show out in the Senior Bowl often do well in the NFL as they are already playing well against some of the best in college.

But his film is weird.

His #s say he is fast. But you watch him and he does not look fast.

I realize that means he has straight line speed but his quickness looks pretty average. When someone 'looks' fast it often the quickness and his acceleration isn't standing out. His hands look great though.

So does an average acceleration WR that is undersized but has great straight line speed make sense for a team where the coach is so run committed? I like it because smaller guys make it harder to block, so you almost have to get away from the run because your small WRs won't usually be great blocking wideouts.

But ??

Cautiously optimistic though since these are the kind of picks that end up working out for us.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:Scientist,

You were banned from saying that Wilson was going to be our best QB ever?

What?

Not to veer off topic, but how? What would be the rationale for banning someone saying that?

They said I was trolling. Funny thing is I was right.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• TwistedHusky wrote:So does an average acceleration WR that is undersized but has great straight line speed make sense for a team where the coach is so run committed?

We were twenty-fourth in the league in rushing attempts after removing runs by the quarterback when a pass play broke down in 2020. I am not willing to go through the film for 2019 to get the real number for that year as it takes more time than I have nowadays. However, Wilson had 75 runs, and I guarantee you that maybe ten of those were actual rushing attempts. Which would put us at the middle of the league for rushing attempts. The run committed comments are incorrect and tiresome for the past few seasons.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

• ImTheScientist wrote:While there are great fans on this site actual football knowledge is limited. I was banned on my original account for saying Russ would be the goat Hawks QB after his pre-season week 3 performance his rookie year. All the Flynn and Hasselbeck fans got mad and reported me. DK was a scrub to many here.... now look at him. Funny how these things happen around here. I’m sure most know far more than Pete and JS.... when the hawks open the next armchair GM or coach position we have a lot of potential applicants.

And some said Eddie Lacy would be the best RB in Seattle's recent history...
    FattyKnuckle
    NET Rookie

• BASF,

The 'commitment to the run' comments are from Carroll himself. But I agree, they are tiresome.

I am tired of watching us force a middling run game when we have one of the better WR groups and one of the best QBs in the league. Trotting out #s does not tell the whole story, so it makes no sense to jump on that carousel with you - but numbers IN CONTEXT matter. Data in aggregate does not.
    (There have been literally multiple page long threads on this site covering how Carroll's predilections in this regard make little sense...feel free to check those)

What is salient is that our greatest strengths are for the passing game not the running game. (Though Carson is stellar) so resources to facilitate more use of our greatest advantages seem to be a good direction for us.

And anything that makes running harder for Carroll to try to force is fine by me. An undersized WR usually isn't a great blocking WR (not always, Tate was fantastic and he was not big).

Regardless, the #s tend to be roughly that 1 in 3 picks are going to work out for us. If even 2 of these 3 picks end up contributing to the team, that is a win.

On paper, and watching the film, this pick makes little sense to me. But it feels like the same kind of pick we tend to be winners on so I am going to assume this ends up being one of our good picks when we look back on it later.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information