Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2021 Draft RD 2 PK 56 WR D'wayne Eskridge, W Michigan

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Maybe we can still get THIS Creed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Re: Dwayne Eskridge
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:31 pm
  • Hockey Guy wrote:
    James in PA wrote:Have to admit I wanted Creed. Couldn’t believe he fell to us .... so OF COURSE we don’t pick him. SMH.

Russ is complaining about getting hit & Creed falls to us & is a position of need & we take a deep threat WR so Russ can hold the ball longer.

Bit of a mischaracterization of what he is. He's not a one-trick pony.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Jerhawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Why are people so in love with Creed? How did he look every time he went against SEC DL?

They don't really know what they're talking about. It's alright. Let them complain. They act like Pete and John should run every decision by them.

Sure we don't. It's like none of us have ever watched a football game at all. We just watch Pocic being bullrushed back into RW several times a game.

Went to KC, what does that tell you?
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• kf3339 wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Why are people so in love with Creed? How did he look every time he went against SEC DL?

They don't really know what they're talking about. It's alright. Let them complain. They act like Pete and John should run every decision by them.

Sure we don't. It's like none of us have ever watched a football game at all. We just watch Pocic being bullrushed back into RW several times a game.

Give the man a chance. He could be the next Tyreek Hill.
    Last edited by Jerhawk on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• We needed more speeeed out of our skill positions, this is a great pick!
    purpleworld
    NET Starter

• kf3339 wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:

It tells me that he fell later than expected for a reason and was taken by a team that mismanaged its offensive line and got undressed nationally for it.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Atradees wrote:Dwayne wanted to run a 4.29 at his pro day.........

What does that even mean? I want to run a 4.1, but I can't.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

• I believe also they were trying to trade down, but didn't get the offers they were looking for, so they had to pick.

There was a run at receiver so they had to pick that spot now, or they would be looking at a real project at the position.

Eskridge is a dynamite returner, and gives them an element at WR they currently lack, it's by no means a bad pick, in a vacuum it's a good pick.

Some might be feeling a little pressed due to the lack of picks, and want a Center at this spot, but historically good Centers can be found in the middle rounds. Seattle has a 4th rd pick still.

What is important is if this guy can play or not, and I think he can. He can be the Jet player in the run game, return kicks, and be a vertical threat when they are looking to chuck it deep.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Sweet. This was they guy to get if going after a WR.

Dynamic. Waldron licking his chops

Swain weeps.
    Last edited by Smellyman on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• zchurch74 wrote:CB …. OL…. No we don’t need. We are stacked at those positions. Let’s just take a SHORT wr. Our first pick is a returner??? SMH.

Yep, a returner... that also averaged 130 receiving yards per game. 4th most in all of FBS.

But sure, he's just a returner. :roll:
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• I like that they didn't give up value to trade down like they have in the past. If a trade isn't good enough then they shouldn't force it.

Eskridge's size isn't a negative for his probable role. Look at him more like a combo RB/WR with good hands who Waldron will try to get the ball in space with stuff like jet sweeps, slants, screens and reverses. He can also get downfield in a hurry, and the chance that he could be running a corner route out of the slot will keep opposing safeties honest and should give DK a bit more room.

They were also clearly looking for players with an immediate impact, continuing the theme of them being all in on 2021. Eskridge will be an immediate contributor on offense as well as special teams.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Nice. This was one of the players I thought we'd take in this slot. 3rd receiver that can play gunner and return kicks. This is a value pick at a position of need.

I'm not sure why people are pounding the table for Creed. He's a lighter, shorter-armed version of Pocic with no NFL experience. There's nobody in the NFL that can handle Aaron Donald and drafting 5 Centers isn't going to change that.
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:I like that they didn't give up value to trade down like they have in the past. If a trade isn't good enough then they shouldn't force it.

Eskridge's size isn't a negative for his probable role. Look at him more like a combo RB/WR with good hands who Waldron will try to get the ball in space with stuff like jet sweeps, slants, screens and reverses. He can also get downfield in a hurry, and the chance that he could be running a corner route out of the slot will keep opposing safeties honest and should give DK a bit more room.

They were also clearly looking for players with an immediate impact, continuing the theme of them being all in on 2021. Eskridge will be an immediate contributor on offense as well as special teams.

You're probably right. I didn't think of it earlier, but this guy matches favorably to Tavon Austin.
    Last edited by Own The West on Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Own The West
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:I believe also they were trying to trade down, but didn't get the offers they were looking for, so they had to pick.

There was a run at receiver so they had to pick that spot now, or they would be looking at a real project at the position.

Eskridge is a dynamite returner, and gives them an element at WR they currently lack, it's by no means a bad pick, in a vacuum it's a good pick.

Some might be feeling a little pressed due to the lack of picks, and want a Center at this spot, but historically good Centers can be found in the middle rounds. Seattle has a 4th rd pick still.

What is important is if this guy can play or not, and I think he can. He can be the Jet player in the run game, return kicks, and be a vertical threat when they are looking to chuck it deep.

A returner and #3 WR picked before greater needs is hard to swallow though. I dont hate the player but hate where he was chosen.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    Fade wrote:I believe also they were trying to trade down, but didn't get the offers they were looking for, so they had to pick.

A returner and #3 WR picked before greater needs is hard to swallow though. I dont hate the player but hate where he was chosen.

A #3 receiver isn't an insignificant need in todays NFL by any means.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• I think we just have to wait and see. With the free agents they picked up this year getting a player like him could really work out. He does look good on tape.

HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:
    Fade wrote:I believe also they were trying to trade down, but didn't get the offers they were looking for, so they had to pick.

My biggest fear in this draft is they would force an SEC O-Lineman here, based on their history. Britt, Carpenter, Ifedi, Pocic, etc. Get a guy that can play rather than a stiff regardless if it is a need or not. Drafting for need is how you draft LJ Collier as well. Now 2 drafts after that disaster, it appears they've learned their lesson, and won't be doing that anymore with their first pick. Good on them.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:

Hate seems part of just about every post from your address. Meh... it becomes meaningless very quickly.

Nobody has any idea if he'll be a #3 WR in yards, receptions, etc. when playing with RW; and we certainly need better KR and PR yards than we got last year. This may be exactly what will open up the field for a more up-tempo offense. That alone relieves pressure from our abused QB.
    Ad Hawk
    NET Veteran

• James in PA wrote:His college highlights are super impressive.

Then again, so were those of Deejay Dallas and Travis Homer.

True

HawkinNY
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

My biggest fear in this draft is they would force an SEC O-Lineman here, based on their history. Britt, Carpenter, Ifedi, Pocic, etc. Get a guy that can play rather than a stiff regardless if it is a need or not. Drafting for need is how you draft LJ Collier as well. Now 2 drafts after that disaster, it appears they've learned their lesson, and won't be doing that anymore with their first pick. Good on them.

Yup, Seahawks are in win now and can't sit on an OL to develop a couple of years down the line. Get a player to help now and they did.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

• pittpnthrs wrote:

Lets not forget that this was a low 2nd round pick and we just got a guy that could be an elite returner, an elite gunner, and a very good receiver that "can really fly and has home run potential from anywhere on the field" (according to his NFL.com draft profile). This pick isn't at all hard to swallow for me. He's obviously far from just a kick returner (averaged 130 receiving yards per game, 4th most in FBS), but seems like some of you guys have forgotten how valuable a very good returner can be. Remember when we had Leon Washington returning kicks? Remember when Lockett was returning kicks his rookie season? Elite returners can be difference makers and game changers.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• I have the feeling that the Hawks didn’t want Creed as our long term center. Interesting who is available in next year’s class. Pocic is serviceable for a year, and may improve with time. Creed is a beast but Pocic is a thinker. Unger comes to mind. The best centers have been quick thinkers.

godawg
    NET Veteran

• How does anyone on here know what our greatest needs are? And according to everyone that's ever done drafting professionally, you ALWAYS take BPA (within reason).

Here's a tidbit for you, Mel Kiper had Eskeridge in his Top 40! And we got him at 56!
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• godawg wrote:I have the feeling that the Hawks didn’t want Creed as our long term center. Interesting who is available in next year’s class. Pocic is serviceable for a year, and may improve with time. Creed is a beast but Pocic is a thinker. Unger comes to mind. The best centers have been quick thinkers.

One thing to consider when it comes to Creed, he may have been successful for all the same reasons the Alabama QB was successful. He was surrounded by elite talent, and they played with the lead, aka ran the ball.

Not to mention Sarkisian, per Dave Wyman, drew up plays that made the offenses job easy. Like McVay did for Goff.

Then there's that Alabama defense taking any pressure off of the offense...
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:

It tells me that he fell later than expected for a reason and was taken by a team that mismanaged its offensive line and got undressed nationally for it.

Well, that may be the case. But we have mismanaged our O-Line for years which is why they are consistently bottom third in the league. Drafting a 5"8" WR isn't going to help improve that issue. I hope they have some other trick up their sleeve. RW is watching.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter

• Someone mentioned Tavon Austin, apropos:
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• What this is,

Beating the two deep zone, Waldron also uses 4 WR sets occasionally or split a RB out, Pete talking about Rhythm is quick slants to this kid and Lockett or setting it up with one look and doing a variety of plays out of one look. Rams ran something like 16 plays out of the same look formation.

Also a home run Kick returner.

This kid is Tyler Lockett all over again when we drafted him, known as a Returner and home run guy not a really great route runner.

He, Lockett, Swain, Metcalf have the speed to break up field on any given play and look also, RAC is going to be my hope for the selection of this guy and Wilson learning and Pete allowing hitting guys in stride and not just deep and out routes throwing it away, hitting a crossing route with a guy in stride and just letting him out run the defense.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:37 pm
  • Jerhawk wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:This kid will be a pro bowler. Excellent pick.
    3rd best receiver in the draft.

He is what Percy Harvin was supposed to be.

Pete and John yet again school the rest of the league.

You gotta be kidding me...

Not at all. I had him 37th on my draft board.
    This is an absolute steal.

The rest of the league is scared now. Nobody saw this pick coming.
    He'll run circles around DBs. Metcalf, Lockett and Eskridge? We the greatest show on turf

Are you getting paid to day this? Wow
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• James in PA wrote:This pick has “Shane Waldron” written all over it.

Yep. If are going to run similar concepts to what the Rams do, we will see a lot of those jet sweeps and jet sweep action. A big part of the Rams offence, whether it's getting angles for blocks in the run game or guys open in the passing game cause defenders were 1 step late was that jet sweep action. Now we don't have to use Lockett to run that motion.

I read a lot of how another WR was listed as a need too. As for what Russ wants, it's not Antonio Brown but the fact Russ lobbied for him last year and this off-season makes me think Russ wants another weapon too.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

• I'm not a hater because I really thought we were picking Creed Humphrey. Hopefully the offseason tweaks to the Oline are gonna be enough, I just don't know.

I'm now a D'Wayne Eskridge fan & we need him to be a contributor. Creed is now dead to me. :lol:

I now cheering that we end up with RB Chuba Hubbard because he's from my hometown.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Veteran

• Ad Hawk wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:

Hate seems part of just about every post from your address. Meh... it becomes meaningless very quickly.

Nobody has any idea if he'll be a #3 WR in yards, receptions, etc. when playing with RW; and we certainly need better KR and PR yards than we got last year. This may be exactly what will open up the field for a more up-tempo offense. That alone relieves pressure from our abused QB.

Well if the FO would quit doing stupid things like this pick, I wouldnt hate so much.

I get your defending the pick, but the only way that kid has any numbers higher than Metcalf and Lockette is if one of them goes down. As for a KR, they are practically useless in todays NFL. The days of Devin Hester and Mel Gray are over. Maybe he'll take a couple of punts to the house,,,,cool, but I'd still rather have a Center to protect the QB. So would Russ.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Anyone watching film on this guy can tell he has the "IT" factor. Straight up baller!!
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• Seanhawk wrote:
    Atradees wrote:Dwayne wanted to run a 4.29 at his pro day.........

What does that even mean? I want to run a 4.1, but I can't.

4.1 pppfft......I am pretty sure I could run a 3.4.
    K.J WRIGHT
    NET Bench Warmer

• kf3339 wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:

Lol. Let's forget Locket who is too short and didn't amount to anything. Just saying this dude looks like a freaking gritty hawks pick. But hey what do I know I could be wrong honestly. I think he's gonna get his tho.
    707HAWKfan
    NET Practice Squad

• Anyone who likes this pick is insane, the dude is a WR4 if anything will maybe get 4 plays a game, he played against awful competition. Not to mention Russell won’t have the time to even look at him as he’s getting sacked because we have a center who literally fell over if Donald poked in in the post season.

They’ve said they liked Swain as WR3 so we’ve spent a 2nd rounder on a side who won’t play 10% of snaps as we won’t use 5 WRs ever Bc we won’t take Everett off the field for this kid. And then we will probably run 2 TE sets with both TEs
    Last edited by Momofantv on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Momofantv
    NET Practice Squad

• So he only got to play 6 games this year. And I wonder if his QBs were any good?

Info:

D'Wayne Eskridge file
    Name: D’Wayne Eskridge

College: Western Michigan

Height: 5-8 3/4

Weight: 190

Background: Eskridge played both cornerback and wide receiver at Western Michigan before his offensive breakthrough during a truncated 2020 season.

. In six games, he posted 768 yards receiving and eight touchdowns, averaging 23.3 yards per reception en route to earning Mid-American Special Teams Player of the Year recognition.

Fun fact: As a high school senior, Eskridge was named Indiana’s Mr. Track and Field

488 of his 768 Yards came AFTER the catch. I like that.
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:

Wow friend. Got it all fingered out. No need to pay attention for me until September. Done reading. Swear to all that is holy, this site is the most depressing arena I could've come to. Friday night "you wanna come party" nope I'm gonna go get my depression on here at .net. Lame. Yeah I know leave then. Lol thanks friend I figured that out. Damn, hella negative before this team even plays one preseason down. But okay. Not your opinion but your attitude justified by your opinion. Get out man.
    707HAWKfan
    NET Practice Squad

• Momofantv wrote:Anyone who likes this pick is insane, the dude is a WR4 if anything will maybe get 4 plays a game, he played against awful competition. Not to mention Russell won’t have the time to even look at him as he’s getting sacked because we have a center who literally fell over if Donald poked in in the post season.

Pocic wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't terrible. Much better fit in Waldron/Dickerson type of attack, plus that was his first season at center after being a great one in college.

Honestly, WR3 is a bigger need, and Eskridge at least brings a unique skillset.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Momofantv wrote:Anyone who likes this pick is insane, the dude is a WR4 if anything will maybe get 4 plays a game, he played against awful competition. Not to mention Russell won’t have the time to even look at him as he’s getting sacked because we have a center who literally fell over if Donald poked in in the post season.

Pocic wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't terrible. Much better fit in Waldron/Dickerson type of attack, plus that was his first season at center after being a great one in college.

Honestly, WR3 is a bigger need, and Eskridge at least brings a unique skillset.

But from what the teams said he isn’t WR3 Swain is and our WR3 won’t be much use if we’re running two WR two TE sets which we will Probably be doing to get our best players on the field and not to mention help block
    Momofantv
    NET Practice Squad

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 pm
  • Geologic wrote:#Seahawks second-round WR D'Wayne Eskridge never reached 800 receiving yards in 5 college seasons. Already 24 years old.

5'8" guy

Terrace Marshall was still on the board

800 yards is such an arbitrary number. It's an especially useless milestone when you consider he had over 760 yards in their only 6 games last year.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:53 pm
  • Cyrus12 wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:
    TheLegendOfBoom wrote:
    Jerhawk wrote:This kid will be a pro bowler. Excellent pick.
    3rd best receiver in the draft.

He is what Percy Harvin was supposed to be.

Pete and John yet again school the rest of the league.

You gotta be kidding me...

Not at all. I had him 37th on my draft board.
    This is an absolute steal.

The rest of the league is scared now. Nobody saw this pick coming.
    He'll run circles around DBs. Metcalf, Lockett and Eskridge? We the greatest show on turf

Are you getting paid to day this? Wow

No. I'm being completely serious.
    But hey, we're all fans.

We should all be rooting for this dude. So they didn't draft who you wanted, bummer. They got who they wanted. I'm confident he'll contribute immediately
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

• Schneider confirmed in presser they had a trade back set up that fell through a few minutes before the pick. Stuck and took the BPA on their board, Eskridge.

Says Eskridge is versatile. Don't have a specific plan for him, they're gonna work him in to wherever works.

Justified Eskridge being overaged with fact that he doesn't have a lot of wear and tear, also brings up his particular athleticism. Drops Rondale Moore and Amari Rodgers are guys who can also just "run all day."

Pete brings up Eskridge being more solid (190-something pounds) than some of the other short, fast guys as a big positive.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Strengths
    Averaged 21.8 yards per catch over his last 74 catches.
    High school sprint and long-jump champion.
    Scored touchdowns of 72, 76 and 85 yards in 2020.
    Scary burst for quick vertical separation if punch is whiffed.
    Rapid foot turnover through the route.
    Maintains good tempo through the route.
    Able to plant and cut at fairly crisp angles.
    Timing getting to full extension to make high-point catch.
    Big time catch-and-run talent with instant burst to hit the home run.
    Ability to stretch defense from the slot.
    Averaged 27.5 yards per return with a touchdown as kick returner in 2020.

Weaknesses
    Ran a very simple route tree.
    Bumped off track inside five yards.
    Hip tightness prevents quick sink-and-open.
    Average acceleration in restart once he slows his feet.
    Geared down route speed telegraphs underneath route.
    Needs to sell deeper, more committed route fakes.
    Ball tracking and ball skills miss the mark.
    Drop rate and catch focus has been an issue for him.
    Unable to catch through crowding consistently enough.

He will need to learn some things, his competition level as well as limited games last year hindered a big part of a learning curve I would expect, but he has tools that can be worked on, he has a pretty good mentor in Lockett to help as well as Ursua on the practice squad.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Strengths

Weaknesses

He will need to learn some things, his competition level as well as limited games last year hindered a big part of a learning curve I would expect, but he has tools that can be worked on, he has a pretty good mentor in Lockett to help as well as Ursua on the practice squad.

Worst 2nd round pick ever, dude isn’t good enough to start 4th round talent
    Momofantv
    NET Practice Squad

• Momofantv wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Strengths

Weaknesses

Worst 2nd round pick ever, dude isn’t good enough to start 4th round talent

:177692: Even the consensus board has him 75th, get outta here with that weak take
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Man ppl are never happy on here. Ever.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

• was this a good pick? i think so;... just have to take a step back and let it play out.. some are mad.. but ya know we dont really know what the plan is. the draft isn't over yet then there is UDFA's plus late FA . we dont know what this team is going to look like completely.. way early to be upset...

just sayin

LTH
    LTH
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Don't think the team could trade back and get fair value so they were forced to pick @ 56. So instead of reaching for a player they didn't value as high as they apparently valued Eskridge they picked a legit speedster, which creates mismatch problems with DK, and Lockett.

Eskridge was rocketing up draft boards with his legit track speed as the draft approached and people watched film on him.\. The highlight film on him shows he's a legit football burner who is very shifty in space and as said is F-A-S-T. Speed kills!

I personally am NOT a fan of Pocic who seems to be unable to anchor against any bull rush and wanted/ still want to see the team pick a C who has the ability to drop anchor and not be budged. I thought Dickerson was the best OC, Humphrey short armed and overrated, Meinerz raw but special, there are others and some who could be very underrated. The consensus of FOs around the league is was Humphrey was not fair value at pick # 56, in thend he wasn't picked until thend of the next round from our team's pick.

Perhaps the team has another plan as to what they will do a C and maybe we mays see Lewis become the starting C. Findig a C may be something the team doesn't accomplish until later in the offseason. Let's see what happens.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *

• Maelstrom787 wrote:Schneider confirmed in presser they had a trade back set up that fell through a few minutes before the pick. Stuck and took the BPA on their board, Eskridge.

Says Eskridge is versatile. Don't have a specific plan for him, they're gonna work him in to wherever works.

So they took the highest rated player on the board because they had no plan if the trade down didnt happen and they have no plan for the player they picked. Just brilliant. Seriously, this FO reminds me of a deer looking at headlights,,,,,,lost.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran

• Well he is picked. So hope it will give Russell a go to guy. But also they need an OL to protect him. As he has been sacked so many times no wonder.
    Passepartout
    NET Starter

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 7:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information