Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "we need to draft o lineman" narrative

The Original Seattle Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute for Seahawks Talk, News, Rumors, Trades, and Analytics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • The amount of times i've heard (ever since Russ went public with his demands) that we NEED to draft more o lineman has gotten out of control. Our line showed some of the most promise we've seen in ages this past year, with several young guys showing they are ready to take the next step.

    Now suddenly because Russ publicly b!@ch about the line we aren't supposed to be patient and let the young guys develop? We need to plug new rookies in there and replace the promising guys we have? Does this seem like a sustainable system to others?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4220
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm


  • Is Tom Cable available?
    MagnificentSeven
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 77
    Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:26 pm


  • Guys like Lewis and Walter Jones are anomalies. OL seldom make an appreciable difference in their first year. Any OL drafted this year would probably be for future teams.

    :229031_shrug:
    sutz
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 21905
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:41 am
    Location: Kent, WA


  • therealjohncarlson wrote:The amount of times i've heard (ever since Russ went public with his demands) that we NEED to draft more o lineman has gotten out of control. Our line showed some of the most promise we've seen in ages this past year, with several young guys showing they are ready to take the next step.

    Now suddenly because Russ publicly b!@ch about the line we aren't supposed to be patient and let the young guys develop? We need to plug new rookies in there and replace the promising guys we have? Does this seem like a sustainable system to others?



    ahh one they addressed the oline that guy they got is a really good lineman and pass blocker.

    As to Wilson b!@ch he was right. once again he was amongst the tops in hits, hurries, sacks and pressures. He has been every year in the league. and the years before him those12 qbs were as well. And every Qb who has played under PC. The issue is Wilson did not say the oline. I believe a bigger issue is the system being used. A system we hope will be scraped with the new OC.
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4414
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6182
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:20 pm
    Location: UT


  • nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.

    Maybe with Waldron calling the plays and more offensive weapons, Wilson can release the ball faster and he won't be in danger from Aaron Donald.

    Last year Wilson was in the bottom 5 for time-to-throw. Goff was .5 seconds faster in Waldron's offense, which translates to 4-5 yards for a rushing lineman. Can't hit Wilson from 4 yards away.
    KiwiHawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 3879
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:22 pm
    Location: Auckland, New Zealand


  • Lewis played well as a rookie and will only be better in year 2 and Gabe Jackson is a gigantic upgrade at LG.
    I think Pocic is going to be better at center. Brandon Shell played well at RT, I think we have the chance to be the best Offensive line in Pete’s tenure.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2874
    Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:48 pm


  • Schotty had terrible rhythm and didn’t utilize all of Seattle’s weapons! Defenses easily picked up Seattle’s timing and knew who could get the ball & who wouldn’t get the ball.
    RW needs experience protecting him not rookies plus Carroll said he didn’t have a real competition for the RT job because they didn’t have training camp.
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1191
    Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:27 am


  • jlwaters1 wrote:Lewis played well as a rookie and will only be better in year 2 and Gabe Jackson is a gigantic upgrade at LG.
    I think Pocic is going to be better at center. Brandon Shell played well at RT, I think we have the chance to be the best Offensive line in Pete’s tenure.


    100%
    FresnoHawk68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1191
    Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:27 am


  • I don’t understand the point of this thread unless there’s zero respect for Russ.

    I’ve watched the Chiefs HEAVILY invest in O-line recently. The Packers seem to draft O-line high almost every year. The Bucs last year, used their 1st round pick on O-line. The Jaguars...made sure to draft O-line.

    It seems like every team with a good to great QB, drafted O-line high. Are you saying that if Lawrence, Burrow, or Allen played for the Seahawks, it wouldn’t pull at your heart strings to protect them??

    I am baffled at how resistant fans are to protect Wilson at all costs. Taking no risks, showing a level of love and respect that Russ has hardly received for most of his time here as it relates to team building.
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1560
    Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:05 am


  • nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    Imagine thinking a center would solve that problem.

    Mean Donald sucks against everyone else right?
    balakoth
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 251
    Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:41 pm


  • Drafting for most immediate need has killed this team in the past, coming to a tipping point with the LJ Collier pick in 2019.

    They have since adjusted and drafted a MLB in the 1st in 2020, even though they are paying Wagner $18M APY. And in 2021 they drafted a WR with their first pick even though they have Metcalf & Lockett already.

    They are going to draft best player available with their 1st pick going forward. Drafting a player for the sake of need is a horrible way to pick players. James Carpenter, Germaine Ifedi, and especially LJ Collier really rammed that home to them. Just like drafting Collier didn't fix the DE spot, the OL they would've took probably wouldn't've fixed the Center spot, or at the very least wasn't as big of drop off in what will be available in the 4th round as compared to WR.

    The June 1st period is going to be very advantageous for the Seahawks and teams are going to let a lot of Vets go, the Seahawks will have plenty of Cap Space to add an immediate upgrade to their O-Line then if needed.
    Fade
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3140
    Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:26 am
    Location: Truth Ray


  • balakoth wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    Imagine thinking a center would solve that problem.

    Mean Donald sucks against everyone else right?


    Imagine thinking it's not important to prioritize slowing down your division rival's best player that's pressured your $30 million quarterback about 100 times since he entered the league.

    It is undeniable that Donald is a beast. But he does seem to be even more dominant against Seattle than most other opponents. Even if he's not (I'm not admitting this), it still isn't a reason to not prioritize lining stronger dudes up across from him.

    The Hawks are one of three teams that have to play that dude at least twice per year. Three times last year. And if that third game didn't leave the taste of weasel $h!t in your mouth--along with the sense that they've got to be more physical against interior pressure--we're seeing the entirety of the world through completely different lenses.

    Gabe Jackson is a start. Damien Lewis should get better. But it sure seems like a more powerful center would help and should be a massive priority.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6182
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:20 pm
    Location: UT


  • nanomoz wrote:
    balakoth wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    Imagine thinking a center would solve that problem.

    Mean Donald sucks against everyone else right?


    Imagine thinking it's not important to prioritize slowing down your division rival's best player that's pressured your $30 million quarterback about 100 times since he entered the league.

    It is undeniable that Donald is a beast. But he does seem to be even more dominant against Seattle than most other opponents. Even if he's not (I'm not admitting this), it still isn't a reason to not prioritize lining stronger dudes up across from him.

    The Hawks are one of three teams that have to play that dude at least twice per year. Three times last year. And if that third game didn't leave the taste of weasel $h!t in your mouth--along with the sense that they've got to be more physical against interior pressure--we're seeing the entirety of the world through completely different lenses.

    Gabe Jackson is a start. Damien Lewis should get better. But it sure seems like a more powerful center would help and should be a massive priority.


    Does a mid-round center really slow down Donald? Seems like bringing a knife to a gunfight. You can't, and won't, beat Donald straight-up.

    The way to beat Donald is to limit what he has the ability to do, and that comes down to gameplanning. Get rid of the ball quicker, run concepts that move laterally, and limit what he has the ability to do play-by-play.

    A YAC threat that can take sweeps, eats on quick slants, and releases well adds a new wrinkle to the offense led by a new offensive coordinator from Donald's team. Give Waldron what he wants, and stick to the plan of prioritizing tempo. That's gonna slow him down more than a mid-round center likely would.

    I don't care if God himself is the center. Have Russell drop straight back and hold the ball for 4.5 seconds, and Donald's probably gonna get there.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4986
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3697
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 pm


  • CPHawk wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.


    While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2159
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:
    balakoth wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    Imagine thinking a center would solve that problem.

    Mean Donald sucks against everyone else right?


    Imagine thinking it's not important to prioritize slowing down your division rival's best player that's pressured your $30 million quarterback about 100 times since he entered the league.

    It is undeniable that Donald is a beast. But he does seem to be even more dominant against Seattle than most other opponents. Even if he's not (I'm not admitting this), it still isn't a reason to not prioritize lining stronger dudes up across from him.

    The Hawks are one of three teams that have to play that dude at least twice per year. Three times last year. And if that third game didn't leave the taste of weasel $h!t in your mouth--along with the sense that they've got to be more physical against interior pressure--we're seeing the entirety of the world through completely different lenses.

    Gabe Jackson is a start. Damien Lewis should get better. But it sure seems like a more powerful center would help and should be a massive priority.


    Does a mid-round center really slow down Donald? Seems like bringing a knife to a gunfight. You can't, and won't, beat Donald straight-up.

    The way to beat Donald is to limit what he has the ability to do, and that comes down to gameplanning. Get rid of the ball quicker, run concepts that move laterally, and limit what he has the ability to do play-by-play.

    A YAC threat that can take sweeps, eats on quick slants, and releases well adds a new wrinkle to the offense led by a new offensive coordinator from Donald's team. Give Waldron what he wants, and stick to the plan of prioritizing tempo. That's gonna slow him down more than a mid-round center likely would.

    I don't care if God himself is the center. Have Russell drop straight back and hold the ball for 4.5 seconds, and Donald's probably gonna get there.


    Eggzactly!
    Grahamhawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2515
    Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:19 pm
    Location: Graham, WA


  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.


    While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.


    It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

    If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3728
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • Chapow wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.


    While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.


    It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

    If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.


    Guess we'll have to wait and see how he pans over the season starting for KC.
    pittpnthrs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2159
    Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am


  • pittpnthrs wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.


    While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.


    It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

    If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.


    Guess we'll have to wait and see how he pans over the season starting for KC.


    The Chiefs just signed Austin Blythe less than a month ago. Blythe played 100% of the offensive snaps for the Rams as their starting Center last season and ended the season with a 69 PFF grade. It's pretty far from a foregone conclusion that Creed will start this season, or even get any playing time at all.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3728
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • Chapow wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    nanomoz wrote:How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

    I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

    If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.


    We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.


    While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.


    It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

    If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3468
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • kf3339 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:
    We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.


    While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.


    It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

    If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.


    Metcalf lasted until the end of the 2nd round when we picked him. You can say the absolute same thing about him, yet look how that draft choice turned out for us. It was a major miss on our part. I will root for our new Hawk, but just hope there is a better plan than Pocic because he doesn't have the fire and nastiness to deal with most DT's in this league.
    kf3339
    Platinum Supporter
    Platinum Supporter
     
    Posts: 3468
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:52 pm


  • Shaun Wade incoming? Has the PC size and flashed huge potential until they moved him out. Looks like a PC project type of guy for sure.
    Elemas
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 749
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


  • kf3339 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    pittpnthrs wrote:
    While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.


    It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

    If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.


    Metcalf lasted until the end of the 2nd round when we picked him. You can say the absolute same thing about him, yet look how that draft choice turned out for us. It was a major miss on our part. I will root for our new Hawk, but just hope there is a better plan than Pocic because he doesn't have the fire and nastiness to deal with most DT's in this league.


    Yep, the whole league got it wrong with Metcalf, but he's an outlier. Most late 2nd round picks don't turn out nearly as well.

    Seeing as how the Chiefs just signed a solid, experienced starting Center less than a month ago, it's probably going to be awhile before we find out if passing on Creed was a major miss or not.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3728
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:38 pm


  • Chapow wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

    If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.


    Metcalf lasted until the end of the 2nd round when we picked him. You can say the absolute same thing about him, yet look how that draft choice turned out for us. It was a major miss on our part. I will root for our new Hawk, but just hope there is a better plan than Pocic because he doesn't have the fire and nastiness to deal with most DT's in this league.


    Yep, the whole league got it wrong with Metcalf, but he's an outlier. Most late 2nd round picks don't turn out nearly as well.

    Seeing as how the Chiefs just signed a solid, experienced starting Center less than a month ago, it's probably going to be awhile before we find out if passing on Creed was a major miss or not.


    The league didn't get it wrong with Metcalf. He was always high risk-high reward, and not every team had coaches who felt they could manage him -- or a QB willing to devote a ton of time with him. He's a physical freak and has made some astonishing plays --but he's also dropped some easy passes that Russ put right on the numbers. If Pete can control DK's inner Diva and get him to not jump into the stands and grab the TV camera after making a good play, the risk will pay off big time. So far, it looks good.
    Tusc2000
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 574
    Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:33 am


  • Tusc2000 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:


    Metcalf lasted until the end of the 2nd round when we picked him. You can say the absolute same thing about him, yet look how that draft choice turned out for us. It was a major miss on our part. I will root for our new Hawk, but just hope there is a better plan than Pocic because he doesn't have the fire and nastiness to deal with most DT's in this league.


    Yep, the whole league got it wrong with Metcalf, but he's an outlier. Most late 2nd round picks don't turn out nearly as well.

    Seeing as how the Chiefs just signed a solid, experienced starting Center less than a month ago, it's probably going to be awhile before we find out if passing on Creed was a major miss or not.


    The league didn't get it wrong with Metcalf. He was always high risk-high reward, and not every team had coaches who felt they could manage him -- or a QB willing to devote a ton of time with him. He's a physical freak and has made some astonishing plays --but he's also dropped some easy passes that Russ put right on the numbers. If Pete can control DK's inner Diva and get him to not jump into the stands and grab the TV camera after making a good play, the risk will pay off big time. So far, it looks good.



    Waiting for him to drop his pants and moon the stands next, he is such a Diva ya know or maybe act like he signing a football with a sharpie or dance on a teams logo.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 35622
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Nowhere did RW say "I have a bad O-line or draft more O-line"

    Nowhere.

    Saying you get sacked to much has a lot of other potential reasons including the O-line but not exclusively them

    Playcallinf, schemes, receivers, TE blocking ability (Graham as example) etc all plays in. I saw it more as a playcallinf issue TBH
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8084
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • mikeak wrote:Nowhere did RW say "I have a bad O-line or draft more O-line"

    Nowhere.

    Saying you get sacked to much has a lot of other potential reasons including the O-line but not exclusively them

    Playcallinf, schemes, receivers, TE blocking ability (Graham as example) etc all plays in. I saw it more as a playcallinf issue TBH


    This thread was talking about certain fans saying we NEEDED to draft o lineman this year and if we didnt it would be a failure. I did not say Russ said this per se.. but many fans were using what Russ said to piggy back this opinion.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4220
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 3:09 pm


  • Tusc2000 wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:
    kf3339 wrote:


    Metcalf lasted until the end of the 2nd round when we picked him. You can say the absolute same thing about him, yet look how that draft choice turned out for us. It was a major miss on our part. I will root for our new Hawk, but just hope there is a better plan than Pocic because he doesn't have the fire and nastiness to deal with most DT's in this league.


    Yep, the whole league got it wrong with Metcalf, but he's an outlier. Most late 2nd round picks don't turn out nearly as well.

    Seeing as how the Chiefs just signed a solid, experienced starting Center less than a month ago, it's probably going to be awhile before we find out if passing on Creed was a major miss or not.


    The league didn't get it wrong with Metcalf. He was always high risk-high reward, and not every team had coaches who felt they could manage him -- or a QB willing to devote a ton of time with him. He's a physical freak and has made some astonishing plays --but he's also dropped some easy passes that Russ put right on the numbers. If Pete can control DK's inner Diva and get him to not jump into the stands and grab the TV camera after making a good play, the risk will pay off big time. So far, it looks good.



    Agreed but I would say it is not just up to PC it will take Wilson and Lockett. It takes a village to raise a kid LOL
    John63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4414
    Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm


  • [instagram][/instagram]
    therealjohncarlson wrote:The amount of times i've heard (ever since Russ went public with his demands) that we NEED to draft more o lineman has gotten out of control. Our line showed some of the most promise we've seen in ages this past year, with several young guys showing they are ready to take the next step.

    Now suddenly because Russ publicly b!@ch about the line we aren't supposed to be patient and let the young guys develop? We need to plug new rookies in there and replace the promising guys we have? Does this seem like a sustainable system to others?


    the guys they have NOW arent good, what are you talking about?

    outside of lewis and maybe jackson, and jackson hasnt played yet, we dont know how hes gonna do.

    fact is the seahawks NEVER had an elite oline since wilson has been there.

    times up, either carroll needs to get it done or stop wasting wilsons time.
    Tinamedina
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 60
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:58 am


  • Tinamedina wrote:[instagram][/instagram]
    therealjohncarlson wrote:The amount of times i've heard (ever since Russ went public with his demands) that we NEED to draft more o lineman has gotten out of control. Our line showed some of the most promise we've seen in ages this past year, with several young guys showing they are ready to take the next step.

    Now suddenly because Russ publicly b!@ch about the line we aren't supposed to be patient and let the young guys develop? We need to plug new rookies in there and replace the promising guys we have? Does this seem like a sustainable system to others?


    the guys they have NOW arent good, what are you talking about?

    outside of lewis and maybe jackson, and jackson hasnt played yet, we dont know how hes gonna do.

    fact is the seahawks NEVER had an elite oline since wilson has been there.

    times up, either carroll needs to get it done or stop wasting wilsons time.


    As if Duane Brown wasn't a top-3 left tackle in 2020.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4986
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Does a mid round center slow Donald down? Maybe more than a converted project would. The Canadian kids film does look promising down the road though I would have loved it had we taken Stone wall in the second. Also we don’t have Cable here anymore so it’s possible some of these guys could improve?
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4467
    Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:50 am


  • brimsalabim wrote:Does a mid round center slow Donald down? Maybe more than a converted project would. The Canadian kids film does look promising down the road though I would have loved it had we taken Stone wall in the second. Also we don’t have Cable here anymore so it’s possible some of these guys could improve?


    We have Hutch and Solari now. And the line has improved under their tutelage.

    A lot has been made about Pocic getting bull rushed by Donald, but remember when Russ was cooking? Pocic was the starting center then, and he played just fine. Then he got injured and didn't play as well after coming back. He may not be the answer, but he is young and can still improve.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1784
    Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:29 pm


  • brimsalabim wrote:Does a mid round center slow Donald down? Maybe more than a converted project would. The Canadian kids film does look promising down the road though I would have loved it had we taken Stone wall in the second. Also we don’t have Cable here anymore so it’s possible some of these guys could improve?


    Who are you referring to when you say "converted project?"
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4986
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • LOL at thinking a rookie Center picked 56 or later would come in and magically fix our Aaron Donald problem!!! bahahah bahahah haha

    You know what did help us with our AD problem? Our 5th round selection of Gabe Jackson.

    Now Pocic still has his problems, but at least he's a veteran who can help with protection calls, as we install our brand new offense.

    You know what also would help our AD problem? Quick passing game. The Washington Football Team game plan is what we should have done in the playoff game, or adjusted to when AD was eating our lunch. But nope, same old vanilla run and then throw deep, run then throw deep scheme that was figured out in the back half of the year.



    Also find it HILARIOUS that the goaline constantly moves, I mean the Packers are doing ARod dirty by NOT Drafting him a WR. Yet the Hawks did Russ dirty by Drafting a WR w our first pick??? Which is it?
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1905
    Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:32 am


  • With all this Pocic sucks talk, I'm surprised nobody's brought up Austin Reiter. Is he asking for a boatload of money or are they just happy with Pocic and Fuller?
    Own The West
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 555
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:20 pm


  • Own The West wrote:With all this Pocic sucks talk, I'm surprised nobody's brought up Austin Reiter. Is he asking for a boatload of money or are they just happy with Pocic and Fuller?


    He's honestly no better than Pocic. Certainly not enough for him to just come in and flourish over a guy who knows most of the scheme. No real reason to sign him.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4986
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm
    Location: Delaware




It is currently Tue May 11, 2021 1:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]




Information
  • Who is online