The "we need to draft o lineman" narrative

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
The amount of times i've heard (ever since Russ went public with his demands) that we NEED to draft more o lineman has gotten out of control. Our line showed some of the most promise we've seen in ages this past year, with several young guys showing they are ready to take the next step.

Now suddenly because Russ publicly bitched about the line we aren't supposed to be patient and let the young guys develop? We need to plug new rookies in there and replace the promising guys we have? Does this seem like a sustainable system to others?

sutz

Reaction score
Guys like Lewis and Walter Jones are anomalies. OL seldom make an appreciable difference in their first year. Any OL drafted this year would probably be for future teams.

:229031_shrug:

John63

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3446gyj4 said:
The amount of times i've heard (ever since Russ went public with his demands) that we NEED to draft more o lineman has gotten out of control. Our line showed some of the most promise we've seen in ages this past year, with several young guys showing they are ready to take the next step.

Now suddenly because Russ publicly b!@ch about the line we aren't supposed to be patient and let the young guys develop? We need to plug new rookies in there and replace the promising guys we have? Does this seem like a sustainable system to others?

ahh one they addressed the oline that guy they got is a really good lineman and pass blocker.

As to Wilson Bitching he was right. once again he was amongst the tops in hits, hurries, sacks and pressures. He has been every year in the league. and the years before him those12 qbs were as well. And every Qb who has played under PC. The issue is Wilson did not say the oline. I believe a bigger issue is the system being used. A system we hope will be scraped with the new OC.

nanomoz

Reaction score
How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":qcddqf7d said:
How about the "Aaron Donald trounces our interior line twice a year so we should invest in a stout center" narrative that's been a concern for years? Is that suddenly invalid because people agree with the star QB (who has a point)?

I think they'll regret not drafting Quinn Meinerz. Eskridge is a fine prospect, but I have a hard time imagining a WR3 in this offense having more impact than a mauler with elite athleticism at center.

If Lockett hadn't just been extended, I'd be a little less surprised by the choice.
Maybe with Waldron calling the plays and more offensive weapons, Wilson can release the ball faster and he won't be in danger from Aaron Donald.

Last year Wilson was in the bottom 5 for time-to-throw. Goff was .5 seconds faster in Waldron's offense, which translates to 4-5 yards for a rushing lineman. Can't hit Wilson from 4 yards away.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Lewis played well as a rookie and will only be better in year 2 and Gabe Jackson is a gigantic upgrade at LG.
I think Pocic is going to be better at center. Brandon Shell played well at RT, I think we have the chance to be the best Offensive line in Pete’s tenure.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
Schotty had terrible rhythm and didn’t utilize all of Seattle’s weapons! Defenses easily picked up Seattle’s timing and knew who could get the ball & who wouldn’t get the ball.
RW needs experience protecting him not rookies plus Carroll said he didn’t have a real competition for the RT job because they didn’t have training camp.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2uh4l4k2 said:
Lewis played well as a rookie and will only be better in year 2 and Gabe Jackson is a gigantic upgrade at LG.
I think Pocic is going to be better at center. Brandon Shell played well at RT, I think we have the chance to be the best Offensive line in Pete’s tenure.

100%

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I don’t understand the point of this thread unless there’s zero respect for Russ.

I’ve watched the Chiefs HEAVILY invest in O-line recently. The Packers seem to draft O-line high almost every year. The Bucs last year, used their 1st round pick on O-line. The Jaguars...made sure to draft O-line.

It seems like every team with a good to great QB, drafted O-line high. Are you saying that if Lawrence, Burrow, or Allen played for the Seahawks, it wouldn’t pull at your heart strings to protect them??

I am baffled at how resistant fans are to protect Wilson at all costs. Taking no risks, showing a level of love and respect that Russ has hardly received for most of his time here as it relates to team building.

balakoth

Reaction score
nanomoz":3sttvd6g said:

Imagine thinking a center would solve that problem.

Mean Donald sucks against everyone else right?

Fade

Reaction score
Drafting for most immediate need has killed this team in the past, coming to a tipping point with the LJ Collier pick in 2019.

They have since adjusted and drafted a MLB in the 1st in 2020, even though they are paying Wagner $18M APY. And in 2021 they drafted a WR with their first pick even though they have Metcalf & Lockett already.

They are going to draft best player available with their 1st pick going forward. Drafting a player for the sake of need is a horrible way to pick players. James Carpenter, Germaine Ifedi, and especially LJ Collier really rammed that home to them. Just like drafting Collier didn't fix the DE spot, the OL they would've took probably wouldn't've fixed the Center spot, or at the very least wasn't as big of drop off in what will be available in the 4th round as compared to WR.

The June 1st period is going to be very advantageous for the Seahawks and teams are going to let a lot of Vets go, the Seahawks will have plenty of Cap Space to add an immediate upgrade to their O-Line then if needed.

nanomoz

Reaction score
balakoth":3kwnyg7r said:
nanomoz":3kwnyg7r said:

Imagine thinking it's not important to prioritize slowing down your division rival's best player that's pressured your $30 million quarterback about 100 times since he entered the league.

It is undeniable that Donald is a beast. But he does seem to be even more dominant against Seattle than most other opponents. Even if he's not (I'm not admitting this), it still isn't a reason to not prioritize lining stronger dudes up across from him.

The Hawks are one of three teams that have to play that dude at least twice per year. Three times last year. And if that third game didn't leave the taste of weasel shit in your mouth--along with the sense that they've got to be more physical against interior pressure--we're seeing the entirety of the world through completely different lenses.

Gabe Jackson is a start. Damien Lewis should get better. But it sure seems like a more powerful center would help and should be a massive priority.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
nanomoz":3lsg2cvh said:
balakoth":3lsg2cvh said:
nanomoz":3lsg2cvh said:

Imagine thinking it's not important to prioritize slowing down your division rival's best player that's pressured your $30 million quarterback about 100 times since he entered the league.

It is undeniable that Donald is a beast. But he does seem to be even more dominant against Seattle than most other opponents. Even if he's not (I'm not admitting this), it still isn't a reason to not prioritize lining stronger dudes up across from him.

The Hawks are one of three teams that have to play that dude at least twice per year. Three times last year. And if that third game didn't leave the taste of weasel shit in your mouth--along with the sense that they've got to be more physical against interior pressure--we're seeing the entirety of the world through completely different lenses.

Gabe Jackson is a start. Damien Lewis should get better. But it sure seems like a more powerful center would help and should be a massive priority.

Does a mid-round center really slow down Donald? Seems like bringing a knife to a gunfight. You can't, and won't, beat Donald straight-up.

The way to beat Donald is to limit what he has the ability to do, and that comes down to gameplanning. Get rid of the ball quicker, run concepts that move laterally, and limit what he has the ability to do play-by-play.

A YAC threat that can take sweeps, eats on quick slants, and releases well adds a new wrinkle to the offense led by a new offensive coordinator from Donald's team. Give Waldron what he wants, and stick to the plan of prioritizing tempo. That's gonna slow him down more than a mid-round center likely would.

I don't care if God himself is the center. Have Russell drop straight back and hold the ball for 4.5 seconds, and Donald's probably gonna get there.

CPHawk

Reaction score
nanomoz":15h0oodo said:

We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
CPHawk":4870fiof said:
nanomoz":4870fiof said:

We picked 56. If there was a stout center who could handle Donald, he would have been long gone. Creed isn’t slowing the rams DL down.

While true, Creed still would have been an upgrade to Pocic.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":31ph2ego said:
nanomoz":31ph2ego said:
balakoth":31ph2ego said:
nanomoz":31ph2ego said:

The Hawks are one of three teams that have to play that dude at least twice per year. Three times last year. And if that third game didn't leave the taste of weasel $h!t in your mouth--along with the sense that they've got to be more physical against interior pressure--we're seeing the entirety of the world through completely different lenses.

Does a mid-round center really slow down Donald? Seems like bringing a knife to a gunfight. You can't, and won't, beat Donald straight-up.

The way to beat Donald is to limit what he has the ability to do, and that comes down to gameplanning. Get rid of the ball quicker, run concepts that move laterally, and limit what he has the ability to do play-by-play.

A YAC threat that can take sweeps, eats on quick slants, and releases well adds a new wrinkle to the offense led by a new offensive coordinator from Donald's team. Give Waldron what he wants, and stick to the plan of prioritizing tempo. That's gonna slow him down more than a mid-round center likely would.

I don't care if God himself is the center. Have Russell drop straight back and hold the ball for 4.5 seconds, and Donald's probably gonna get there.

Eggzactly!

Chapow

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":3c8gpnvf said:
CPHawk":3c8gpnvf said:
nanomoz":3c8gpnvf said:

It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Chapow":u0gvh7mr said:
pittpnthrs":u0gvh7mr said:
CPHawk":u0gvh7mr said:
nanomoz":u0gvh7mr said:

It's also entirely possible that Creed would not have been an upgrade to Pocic. Or that he would take a season or two or three to become a better C than Pocic. Or that he would be no better than decent depth. Or that he would be a complete bust.

If Creed was really the sure fire blue chip stud that some of you have built him up to be in your minds he wouldn't have still been available for the Chiefs to take with the second to last pick of round 2.

Guess we'll have to wait and see how he pans over the season starting for KC.

Chapow

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":26nu7fmy said:
Chapow":26nu7fmy said:
pittpnthrs":26nu7fmy said:
CPHawk":26nu7fmy said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see how he pans over the season starting for KC.

The Chiefs just signed Austin Blythe less than a month ago. Blythe played 100% of the offensive snaps for the Rams as their starting Center last season and ended the season with a 69 PFF grade. It's pretty far from a foregone conclusion that Creed will start this season, or even get any playing time at all.