UDFA advantage for the Hawks

seabowl

Reaction score
With the lack of picks it’s very likely the Hawks may have an advantage over most teams knowing that UDFA’s may feel they have a better shot at making the Hawks roster vs ones where they would be competing with many more rookie draft picks.

Thoughts?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
seabowl":qzuxxuz5 said:
With the lack of picks it’s very likely the Hawks may have an advantage over most teams knowing that UDFA’s may feel they have a better shot at making the Hawks roster vs ones where they would be competing with many more rookie draft picks.

Thoughts?
Could be. It should be a selling point they should use IMO.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think we lost that advantage, at least that 'best player wins' thing.

We do regularly make the playoffs and have a star QB, so that will attract FAs.

But the idea that we are more fair or give UDFAs a better shot to get PT?

Probably incorrect at this point.

chris98251

Reaction score
Every player knows who is on each teams depth chart in the position they play, their agent is also looking at best case landing spots. CB's, O line, for sure will look here, Safeties, RB's DE's probably not, LB's would come here also since we have depth issues there at the moment also.

Jville

Reaction score
Looking forward to my favorite ...... the post draft ...... 8th round. Next 24 or so hours will be both telling and interesting. :2thumbs:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":32q1lpsq said:

Not this year. 3 picks the entire draft. UDFA's competing against way less rookie competition. More PS spots, more reps in camp, etc. It's a reasonably large advantage.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":14qxqcfg said:

I believe that the OP was referring to making the final 53 or the PS... not getting PT.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":nvmtyefq said:
TwistedHusky":nvmtyefq said:

Not this year. 3 picks the entire draft. UDFA's competing against way less rookie competition. More PS spots, more reps in camp, etc. It's a reasonably large advantage.
Yup I second this. If you're a rookie free agent looking to make it on-to an nfl roster you don't want to have to compete against a 3rd or 4th round pick to make it. It's much easier to make it in your mind if you're competing with equals. This year will likely be a big udfa year.

John63

Reaction score
Judging on the udfas they already signed yeah this is going to be sweet

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We all need to be careful as several of these players have been signed for tryout or rookie minicamp and have NOT been signed as UDFAs. That said there are some nice potential additions listed above.

I actually like these UDFA signings best as the ability to score a genuine sleeper is good and even more so this season with
partial seasons and COVID opt outs looting the precise assessment of several of these players.

I am uncertain if the roster limits will be 80 or 90 as the league may remain in some form of COVID limitation.

Jville

Reaction score
sdog1981":lnad3knp said:
According to this tracker, the Seahawks are now middle of the pack with UDFA signings in 2019-2020

https://overthecap.com/udfa-spending-trends-by-team/

Teams with the most UDFA signings are Jags, Ravens, Cheifs, and Rams

Interesting 5/1 chart included in that link. Only the Cardinals, Bengals and Rams have a lower 2021 average UDFA cost per player than the Seahawks. That would be consistent with Seahawk policy of maximizing roster flexibility and emphasizing competition with candidates processing an urgency to prove themselves.

BigMeach

Reaction score
seabowl":1bt4okaz said:

Thoughts?

This is something the hawks FO has been saying for a while now. It definitely helps, you get to come to a contender that has depth to fill and they didn't draft many players. I think it's also showing out in the UDFA signings so far.