Hawks to decline 5th year option on Penny

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. They've done a lot of good things over the years, but this one just flat out didn't work.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":27dy8ihs said:
No doubt. They've done a lot of good things over the years, but this one just flat out didn't work.

Agreed.
This pick was just a reach that didn't pan out.

Who knows, maybe he breaks out this season and we regret not exercising the 5th year option. Maybe we trade him for some 2022 draft pick(s).

Live and learn.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1y41su0x said:

Irony at it's finest, Chubb was the riskier pick coming out due to his college knee injury. Yet in the pros penny is the one who got hurt. Some times that's just football. The diff between bust and pro bowl isn't ability it's availability.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, Penny wasn't an injury concern at all in College. Sometimes you just swing and miss. And all front offices do. Now, their 1st round recent history...........ouch.
But, can't do anything about it but move forward. They do a very good job of making up for it imo.

Slick

Reaction score
Is it just me or has Penny never looked in shape? I know know I shouldn't judge but standing next to Carson one is a grown man, the other a guy who looks like a dude who enjoys pizza.

Sometimes I think this is the other reason he can't get to the next level in his career. Imagine his speed, talent combined with optimal nutrition/conditioning. Maybe he hits that this year.

chris98251

Reaction score
Just because they decline the option doesn't men they don't resign him, lower chances if someone else offers a bank roll, but few teams would offer him a payday on the 5th year based on his performance over the first 4.

Also the have a few others in queue to step up, they two F.A. they picked up, one of them is a clone of Carson if he can get healthy.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":g6309kvy said:
Just because they decline the option doesn't men they don't resign him, lower chances if someone else offers a bank roll, but few teams would offer him a payday on the 5th year based on his performance over the first 4.

Also the have a few others in queue to step up, they two F.A. they picked up, one of them is a clone of Carson if he can get healthy.

I was thinking the same thing Chris, except the 5th year option would've "only" been $4.5 million.

Maybe thats too much for a running back. The team definitely thought it was too much for him.

If he balls out this year and they bring him back on a cheaper contract, that's cool. But I speculate if declining his 5th year would upset him to not want to resign here.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They must have other concerns regarding things going on behind the scenes. Picking up the 5th year option would have given them two full years, in theory, to see if he can stay healthy.

This appears the team is going to go cheap at running back going forward.

nwHawk

Reaction score
They rarely pick up a 5th year option. This was to be expected.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
nwHawk":ryxggvvl said:
They rarely pick up a 5th year option. This was to be expected.

Well, to be fair, we haven't necessarily had a 1st round pick worthy of the 5th year option.

Hopefully Brooks will get the 5th year option when his time comes

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This announcement is hardly any surprise.

Penny has not justified his draft position.

They are paying Carson but won't commit to paying Penny until he demonstrates his value.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2qsu7o19 said:
They are paying Carson but won't commit to paying Penny until he demonstrates his value.

There's definitely a chance that they'll... separate entirely.

1097d7204235a4a5f9ffd0910c38045b

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Not picking up his option may increase his "want to" this season; it could be a powerful motivator to get right in terms of weight/size, weight-room, and mindset.

He needs to post good numbers and put his game into high gear, making the most of every touch, if he is going to get another payday. I think he's on alert now.

chris98251

Reaction score
Carson
Collins
Dallas
Homer
Patrick Carr
B.J. Emmons
Josh Johnson

Penny has competition, Emmons may surprise everyone.

Hotchy

Reaction score
Feel bad for him. He was really starting to break out in year 2. He looked like our #1....
Than came the injury. Typically a player is only a shell of himself year 1 back from that. So good chance he has big year this year. But also good chance that injury hampers his running style of cut back.
Firmly believe he would've been great , but that's the cruel world of an athlete

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Penny was drafted before Nick Chubb cause Seattle thought Penny was less injury prone. Funny how it didn’t work out for Penny but Chubb is a star!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I am shocked, I tell ya, shocked. One of the worst picks on recent Seahawk history seeing how Chubb was there and much higher rated. Our front office is just stupid on draft days with very very few exceptions.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2kgo5ohi said:
I am shocked, I tell ya, shocked. One of the worst picks on recent Seahawk history seeing how Chubb was there and much higher rated. Our front office is just stupid on draft days with very very few exceptions.

>Seahawks pick Malik McDowell, who was rated highly and falling due to other concerns
"There they go, picking guys with red flags"

>Seahawks pass on Chubb, who has a massive medical red flag
"Stupid front office, passing highly rated guys because their knee looked like a bowl of spaghetti after being pulverized in college"

Damned if they do, damned if they don't by Captain Hindsight here. At least criticize the pick based on valid process reasons instead of hindsight.

It was dumb because they took a running back high. Not because they passed on the guy whose knee looked like a crash test dummy mannequins after a crash test.

Latest posts