Could Aaron Rodgers survive 1 season behind our O-line?

Tokadub

Reaction score
There has been a lot of kinda silly media attention towards a potential Aaron Rodgers for Russell Wilson trade lately...

I just don't think he could make it to the playoffs in one piece behind our offensive line. I think every game he would have about a 10-20% chance of having a season ending injury with our "protection".

Wilson has been remarkably healthy, so much so that I would say he must play through some injuries and just tries to hide it. There's no way he hasn't been hurt to the point many QB's would sit out... and I'm not even including the one season where it looked like he broke his ankle week 1 vs I think the Dolphins (I can't find the video)? Then he looks like he broke his ankle + knee again just a few weeks later...

This man is a machine in terms of playing through pain and staying on the field. I don't think Aaron Rodgers would last a single season behind any of the Russell Wilson era offensive lines... Russell Wilson has never missed a game?!

Week 1 (which I can't find the video for this play):

[youtube]EYc51csudi8[/youtube]

I think just a few weeks later (too lazy too look up schedule of that season):

[youtube]3YNxedA14H4[/youtube]

Not gonna lie, I'd be curious to see how Aaron Rodgers would do on our team (from an intellectual standpoint), but there is no way I even consider that trade in reality.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If we're talking last years protecton, yeah, he'd do fine. As long as he prioritizes getting the ball out and isn't afraid to use windows over the middle of the field, he'd be fine.

I still wouldn't make the trade, but Rodgers would be alright, so long as the short options are provided to him.

getnasty

Reaction score
I think he'd do just fine. He has much better pocket awareness then Russ, scrambles well, quick release, and isn't afraid to throw the ball away.

Rodgers is the kind of QB that makes OL's look way better then they are.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Russell's problem is he holds onto the ball too long. I'm guessing that contributes to roughly 25% more sacks than he would otherwise have. Imo Rodgers would be okay with Seattle's Oline.

Over his career, Russell is averaging just shy of 2.75 sacks/game over 9 seasons. And Rodgers has averaged 2.25 sacks/game over 13 seasons. That's just 0.5 sacks/game difference, which doesn't seem like much at all. The big difference is Rodgers last year was sacked only 20 times in 526 attempts. By comparison, Russell was sacked 47 times in 558 attempts. Except for his rookie year, Russell has taken more than 40 sacks per year. It would be a huge improvement if he could manage to get that annual total down to 30/year.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Which Rodgers are you getting? 2020 MVP or 2017-2019 Rodgers that Russell outperformed?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Our o-line really wasn't that bad last year - unless you're viewing things through the "OMG Aaron Donald" lens.

This kid does a pretty good breakdown of each lineman, and why Waldron's offense will help with protection.

[youtube]-7pSkRsyDd0[/youtube]

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Way less hesitant than Wilson, gets the ball out faster, reads the field better...so he would be ok. Still though when the oline crumbles I dont think he could handle that many hit.

John63

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":25hr3sj5 said:
Russell's problem is he holds onto the ball too long. I'm guessing that contributes to roughly 25% more sacks than he would otherwise have. Imo Rodgers would be okay with Seattle's Oline.

Over his career, Russell is averaging just shy of 2.75 sacks/game over 9 seasons. And Rodgers has averaged 2.25 sacks/game over 13 seasons. That's just 0.5 sacks/game difference, which doesn't seem like much at all. The big difference is Rodgers last year was sacked only 20 times in 526 attempts. By comparison, Russell was sacked 47 times in 558 attempts. Except for his rookie year, Russell has taken more than 40 sacks per year. It would be a huge improvement if he could manage to get that annual total down to 30/year.

the only problem is you are using stats for a guy who has never played behind an oline ranked lower than 16th in pass blocking versus a guy who never played behind an oline ranked higher than 16th. In the year Rodgers played behind the 16th ranked pass blocking oline he has 51 sacks. Also, that is not playing in PCs system Every Qb who has ever played for PC as a head coach has been top 5 in sacks. FYI even though your numbers are a little off meaning Rodgers did not play double digit games in 2 of those 13 seasons. Rodgers avg in 15+ game season is 2.45 sacks per game, and behind much better olines.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Aaron would be fine. Because Aaron wouldn't try near as many of the long-developing plays. He certainly would not agree to telegraph it like we do.

He would tell Carroll to stuff himself and then call Carroll out in the press the moment it became a problem.

He would demand they get FAs to fix more of the issues.

And he would force us to change the way we play offense.

He got injured in GB too, even with their pretty solid OL, so he might still get hurt but I think he would give us a better chance in the playoffs than we currently have. Not because he is a better QB, because he would play the way he wanted no matter how Carroll scripted it out.

Jville

Reaction score
Quarterbacks make the protection calls and call out protection changes.

So who is better at making and changing protection calls? Arron Rogers or Russell Wilson?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3qgadrof said:
Aaron would be fine. Because Aaron wouldn't try near as many of the long-developing plays. He certainly would not agree to telegraph it like we do.

He would tell Carroll to stuff himself and then call Carroll out in the press the moment it became a problem.

He would demand they get FAs to fix more of the issues.

And he would force us to change the way we play offense.

He got injured in GB too, even with their pretty solid OL, so he might still get hurt but I think he would give us a better chance in the playoffs than we currently have. Not because he is a better QB, because he would play the way he wanted no matter how Carroll scripted it out.

Rooting for organizational discord probably isn't great.

toffee

Reaction score
He will do just fine we run the ball efficiently and prioritize more quick passes.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

toffee

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1na1bi5b said:
Don't you know, Aaron Rodgers is God. He can do no wrong :?
You Sir are so wrong, Aaron ain't God. Saint Russell the faultless totally disagree with you.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

John63

Reaction score
Jville":1xoyzxrp said:

So who is better at making and changing protection calls? Arron Rogers or Russell Wilson?

That is not totally true at all. First sometimes the center does, sometime sit is the Qb but here is the thing whoever does it can call out the right protection but the oline still needs to execute, the Te still needs to execute, the Rb still needs to execute.

Jville

Reaction score
John63":be8xqboa said:
Jville":be8xqboa said:

That is not totally true at all. First sometimes the center does, sometime sit is the Qb but here is the thing whoever does it can call out the right protection but the oline still needs to execute, the Te still needs to execute, the Rb still needs to execute.

It's not a democracy out there on the field. The quarterback always has the final say on protection calls. So who is better? Arron Rogers or Russell Wilson?

There is another typically ignored question. Who makes better use of their protection blocking? Arron Rogers or Russell Wilson?

Spohawks

Reaction score
That trade would awesome for the Hawks. You seen the one sided Stafford trade...it would be the same for Rodgers. Packers have ZERO leverage and would have to give away the house to pick up the Younger QB. Sure the NFL lifespan is shorter with Rogers but the dude can play.

Would he survive? 100%! The Oline is better then last year and the off season isn't over.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
The responses here are bizarre. :?

Regardless of what you think about Russ, the Packers have consistently had a top 5 O-line. They had it with Favre, and they have it with Rodgers. Their pass block win rate is great.

The Seahawks O-line in the last half of the season, was ranked near the bottom.

Also, the idea that Rodgers gets rid of the ball like Brady is hilarious. He holds the ball almost as long as Russ, and in several years has held it LONGER than Russ based on time to throw numbers. This entire thread shows that everyone’s perception of Russ here is based on their stereotype of him, not facts.

Rodgers has an elite O-line, scheme, and an elite receiver. Trading for him over Russ would objectively be a DOWNGRADE.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Jville":1c3aummz said:
John63":1c3aummz said:
Jville":1c3aummz said:

It's not a democracy out there on the field. The quarterback always has the final say on protection calls. So who is better? Arron Rogers or Russell Wilson?

There is another typically ignored question. Who makes better use of their protection blocking? Arron Rogers or Russell Wilson?

Wilson. And Rodgers does not read defenses as well as Wilson either. Rodgers is a safe thrower. He rarely takes risks. I think it’s curious people attribute words like intelligent to Rodgers but never Wilson.

I think it’s laughable. If Rodgers is so great, why did he struggle with McCarthy and put up pedestrian numbers? Why has he struggled in games where teams like the 49ers got pressure? Seriously, it’s like you guys commit to a belief and refuse to adjust based on the evidence. We have plenty of evidence to show that Rodgers struggles with actual pressure and a struggling O-line, which is rare for him. Rodgers has a better arm, Wilson is better overall and is far more capable of carrying scraps no matter the injuries or talent on the team. The respect for Russ does not match the insane reality of his abilities, so bizarre.

chris98251

Reaction score
Scorpion05":q7my0joc said:
The responses here are bizarre. :?

Regardless of what you think about Russ, the Packers have consistently had a top 5 O-line. They had it with Favre, and they have it with Rodgers. Their pass block win rate is great.

The Seahawks O-line in the last half of the season, was ranked near the bottom.

Also, the idea that Rodgers gets rid of the ball like Brady is hilarious. He holds the ball almost as long as Russ, and in several years has held it LONGER than Russ based on time to throw numbers. This entire thread shows that everyone’s perception of Russ here is based on their stereotype of him, not facts.

Rodgers has an elite O-line, scheme, and an elite receiver. Trading for him over Russ would objectively be a DOWNGRADE.

A QB that gets the ball out on time and in a scheme that allows for underneath and crossing routes that are 2 seconds or so will make the ratings of a O line much better, they don't have to hold blocks as long, they have more left in the tank at games end, they have more energy on running plays where they have to move people and that rating improves.