Dwayne Eskridge vs Paul Richardson College and Combine stats

Tokadub

Reaction score
Dwayne Eskridge college stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... dge-1.html

Paul Richardson college stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pl ... dge-1.html

Paul Richardson had more yards, and more touch downs than Dwayne Eskridge even though Paul only had 3 years in school compared to Eskridge's 5.

Paul in one season (2013) put up 1343 yards for Colorado that's more than half of what Eskridge did in his 5 years playing for Western Michigan.

Paul Richardson ran a 4.33 40 yard dash compared to Dwayne Eskridge 4.38 40 yard dash.

Paul Richardson is taller, longer arms, and a better vertical jump (38 inches), compared to Eskridge (35 inches).

Even the college highlights Paul Richardson looked better than Eskridge to me as my first impression.

Somehow Paul Richardson did not work out for the Seahawks for reasons I still don't understand at all unless it was just some kind of mental thing like he didn't run the plays correctly or even remember them?

For some reason Eskridge reminds me of Paul Richardson with the role he was supposed to fill for our team.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong and Eskridge is a much bigger contributor than Richardson (or we may be in big trouble unless Josh Gordon is ever allowed to live his life in the NFL)... but we have a history of not being able to utilize some receivers and I'm worried Eskridge might be Paul Richardson 2.0 considering Paul seems better on paper out of college.

rcaido

Reaction score
Richardson played pretty decent when he was not injured, 2017 was the only year.
700yrds
6tds
44rec

If we can get the same product as Richardson when healthy w/ Eskridge, this would be a great pickup.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Stats can be misleading... especially college stats.

I foresee Eskridge playing a rather large role in Waldron's offensive scheme. He should be the shiny new toy for everybody to watch pre-snap and then watch as they weave their way through traffic essentially crossing the whole field right-to-left or the opposite. Think Cooper Kupp.

My sense is Eskridge will be a solid contributor. He'll get his touches and produce. I'm not worried at all.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Check the games played stat. Eskridge only played 6 games last year, but put up 768 yards, and a 23.3 yard average. He also played at corner some the year before.

Looking at the senior bowl tape, against other top college DBs, he got open at will. I think he will be much better than Richardson. He has an alpha dog mentality and a toughness about him that I didn't get with Richardson.

JGreen79

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":7lc37zlw said:

I foresee Eskridge playing a rather large role in Waldron's offensive scheme. He should be the shiny new toy for everybody to watch pre-snap and then watch as they weave their way through traffic essentially crossing the whole field right-to-left or the opposite. Think Cooper Kupp.

My sense is Eskridge will be a solid contributor. He'll get his touches and produce. I'm not worried at all.

I envisioned him more in the Robert Woods role. Getting carries off of sweeps as well as lots of motion.

One stat I remember seeing early last year was a lot of pre-snap movement, mostly from Lockett. They stopped doing that for some reason. Hopefully they return to more of this.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
totally different situations. Paul was asked to be the #2 WR, DE is being asked to the be the #3. Furthermore DE has a a more formidable WR mates with Lockett and DK. Paul had Doug Baldwin and a still developing TL.

DK and Lockett will take pressure off of him.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":394axbf4 said:

Yes indeed, Stats don't tell the whole story, like how many targets, who the QB was, and how accurate, who was the CB competition they faced, Offensive schemes and the like.
Some are shiners in the College venue, but can't make the transition to NFL competition, and hell, there've been a lot of 1st & 2nd rounders that couldn't hack it, and some (like Baldwin) who weren't even Drafted, became outstanding players.
Fingers crossed that Eskridge turns to gold.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
I see Eskridge playing the Tavon Austin role in the new Rams influenced offense, with a added benefit of being able to run better routes when not running fly sweeps.

Own The West

Reaction score
I see Paul and D'Wayne as very different players. Richardson was slight of build with elite straight-line speed -- a go route machine, whereas Eskridge is stockier with elite quickness. Eskridge plays more out of the backfield or across the middle.

I'd liken him more to a Percy Harvin, Brandin Cooks, or Tavon Austin.

Edit: ^^^ What Frozenropers said!

Rat

Reaction score
I thought Richardson was fantastic when he was healthy. For a while, it felt like something good happened every time the ball went in his direction. He just didn't have the body for a long career.

If Eskridge becomes the version of Richardson that spends less time in the training room, I'll be really happy.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Own The West":3ffy4rxi said:
I see Paul and D'Wayne as very different players. Richardson was slight of build with elite straight-line speed -- a go route machine, whereas Eskridge is stockier with elite quickness. Eskridge plays more out of the backfield or across the middle.

I'd liken him more to a Percy Harvin, Brandin Cooks, or Tavon Austin.

Edit: ^^^ What Frozenropers said!

If we're gonna do comps, Brandin Cooks is the one I like the most.

Watch Brandin Cooks with the Rams, and I think you'll see a lot of what the plan for Eskridge is.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if Eskridge's short-area quickness and agility weren't much better than Richardson's.

I think Percy Harvin is the quickest dude I've ever watched (in pads), he got to full speed in about three strides. Eskridge has that sort of quickness. Richardson seemed like he got moving faster (top speed-wise) after 15 yards or so, but the acceleration was more gradual.

I could be wrong. My memory of Richardson could be tainted by all the injuries that were so disappointing.

nanomoz

Reaction score
^The Brandin Cooks comp is a good one.^ Kevin Curtis before all the injuries could be another. That dude's acceleration inside of 10 yards was surprising.

misfit

Reaction score
Totally different playeres IMO

and Richardson was asked to mostly play outside if I remember correctly cuz Baldwin occupied the slot most of the time