Which players' break out season could impact '21 most?

toffee

Reaction score
I have three, all a bit of wishful thinking perhaps, but hey it's the off season.

Pocic: if he could lift his game, our offense could be a bit more stable. He was the weak link in our not too strong OL.
Tre Flowers: if he could have the break out season we expected but didn't get in his sophomore season. Our secondary will vastly improve.
Collier: he was billed as 2nd coming of Bennett, if he could come close to be Bennettish, opposing QB won't have as much time to pick on our secondary.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
toffee":2xahjtb0 said:
I have three, all a bit of wishful thinking perhaps, but hey it's the off season.

Pocic: if he could lift his game, our offense could be a bit more stable. He was the weak link in our not too strong OL.
I 'd say the weak link on the OL has been Mike Iupati, who was bad when he was actually able to get on the field. And like many others, I think the Seahawks' OL gets a rep worse than its actual performance because of terrible sacks-allowed numbers, and sacks allowed have been shown to be at least as much a QB thing as an OL thing. The fact that the Seahawks OL did better in ESPN's pass-block win rate than in sacks allowed suggests the OL was doing its job better than the sack rate reflects, and the high sack rate was on Wilson more than the OL.
Wilson is certainly capable of doing quick passing. In addition to some great moments of that in the magical second half of the 2015 season, I think of the game against the Steelers in 2019, when Wilson's release time was super-short. He just chooses not to do so sometimes, and the result is a lot of sacks.

Anyway, I think Pocic has been better as a center than you appear to think he has, and I think he could have a good season or even a breakout season. I can imagine him having a really, really good season both in covering his individual blocking assignments and in his crucial role in the communication with Wilson and the rest of the OL before the snap, and that second part could help the whole OL play better. So I'd put Pocic on my list too, even though I don't think he was as bad as you do. He could break out, and that could help the team a lot.

Tre Flowers: if he could have the break out season we expected but didn't get in his sophomore season. Our secondary will vastly improve.

Flowers is a lot better than people around here have been saying he is lately, and I've always kind-of liked him since I saw the cute pictures of his tiny daughter wearing his helmet during training camp of his rookie season, but I don't see him as a candidate for a break-out season. He's a converted safety, and he's not really good at being a press corner. For one thing, his feet are a bit slow. On the other hand, he's pretty damn good at not getting beaten deep, and I think that's underappreciated. I've gotten pissed off watching other teams "dink and dunk" the 'Hawks to death, and Flowers was often attacked by teams taking that approach and gave up a lot of the infuriating short-yardage stuff. But there's value in a guy it's hard to beat deep, and I think Pete and his staff will find a way to take advantage of that while minimizing the effects of his weakness as a press CB. Let's not forget that in Flowers's rookie season, a lot of 'Hawks fans were saying he was better than Shaq Griffin and had more of a future. I think he can (and hope he will) be a valuable part of the Seahawks' defensive backfield this year, but I don't see anything that suggests he could have a breakout season. If you do, please let me know what it is.
Still, I agree that if any Seahaks CB were to have a breakout season, it would be a big deal for the team, and that does include Flowers.

Collier: he was billed as 2nd coming of Bennett, if he could come close to be Bennettish, opposing QB won't have as much time to pick on our secondary.

That's a good one. And I'd like to add Alton Robinson, Rasheem Green, and Darrell Taylor. There are decent reasons to believe each of those guys could have a breakout season, and just one young DE doing that could have a huge impact. Imagine if more than one of Collier, Robinson, Green, and Taylor did!

(now I'm snickering because "Collier, Robinson, Green, and Taylor" sounds like the name of a law firm, but it stays and I'm even pointing it out myself)

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Lagartixa":1ld4tamh said:
toffee":1ld4tamh said:

I 'd say the weak link on the OL has been Mike Iupati, who was bad when he was actually able to get on the field. And like many others, I think the Seahawks' OL gets a rep worse than its actual performance because of terrible sacks-allowed numbers, and sacks allowed have been shown to be at least as much a QB thing as an OL thing. The fact that the Seahawks OL did better in ESPN's pass-block win rate than in sacks allowed suggests the OL was doing its job better than the sack rate reflects, and the high sack rate was on Wilson more than the OL.
Wilson is certainly capable of doing quick passing. In addition to some great moments of that in the magical second half of the 2015 season, I think of the game against the Steelers in 2019, when Wilson's release time was super-short. He just chooses not to do so sometimes, and the result is a lot of sacks.

Anyway, I think Pocic has been better as a center than you appear to think he has, and I think he could have a good season or even a breakout season. I can imagine him having a really, really good season both in covering his individual blocking assignments and in his crucial role in the communication with Wilson and the rest of the OL before the snap, and that second part could help the whole OL play better. So I'd put Pocic on my list too, even though I don't think he was as bad as you do. He could break out, and that could help the team a lot.

Flowers is a lot better than people around here have been saying he is lately, and I've always kind-of liked him since I saw the cute pictures of his tiny daughter wearing his helmet during training camp of his rookie season, but I don't see him as a candidate for a break-out season. He's a converted safety, and he's not really good at being a press corner. For one thing, his feet are a bit slow. On the other hand, he's pretty damn good at not getting beaten deep, and I think that's underappreciated. I've gotten pissed off watching other teams "dink and dunk" the 'Hawks to death, and Flowers was often attacked by teams taking that approach and gave up a lot of the infuriating short-yardage stuff. But there's value in a guy it's hard to beat deep, and I think Pete and his staff will find a way to take advantage of that while minimizing the effects of his weakness as a press CB. Let's not forget that in Flowers's rookie season, a lot of 'Hawks fans were saying he was better than Shaq Griffin and had more of a future. I think he can (and hope he will) be a valuable part of the Seahawks' defensive backfield this year, but I don't see anything that suggests he could have a breakout season. If you do, please let me know what it is.
Still, I agree that if any Seahaks CB were to have a breakout season, it would be a big deal for the team, and that does include Flowers.

That's a good one. And I'd like to add Alton Robinson, Rasheem Green, and Darrell Taylor. There are decent reasons to believe each of those guys could have a breakout season, and just one young DE doing that could have a huge impact. Imagine if more than one of Collier, Robinson, Green, and Taylor did!

(now I'm snickering because "Collier, Robinson, Green, and Taylor" sounds like the name of a law firm, but it stays and I'm even pointing it out myself)
I am somewhat more optimistic with Collier than Green, seeing that last season was his first and he did start and managed to hold the job. 3 sacks wasn't great, but he didn't embarrass himself either and opposing OCs didn't target him as our weak link.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Lagartixa

Reaction score
The reason I still think Green might suddenly have a jump in performance is because he was considered young and raw when he was drafted, and now he might have enough experience to live up to the potential Carroll and Schneider saw. He's had a few shining moments, and I'd love to see him put together a really good season.

Rule

Reaction score
Lagartixa":2o7qu6pv said:
The reason I still think Green might suddenly have a jump in performance is because he was considered young and raw when he was drafted, and now he might have enough experience to live up to the potential Carroll and Schneider saw. He's had a few shining moments, and I'd love to see him put together a really good season.

contract year for him too.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
My thinking is FS/NCB- Marquise Blair, who if he is finally healthy,could add a level of significant physical depth to the DB corps so that with Amadi the team will be quite solid against the 3-4 WR sets.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Maulbert":u35rf1t0 said:
DK Metcalf. Hear me out.

120+ catches. 1,700+ yards. 18+ TDs.

A Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones type season.
DK could achieve that too, got the physical gift, just need more experience and knowledge on how to max his talents.

We need more help defence wise?

irfuben32

Reaction score
Maulbert":6v8botis said:
DK Metcalf. Hear me out.

120+ catches. 1,700+ yards. 18+ TDs.

A Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones type season.

yep

This is what I came here to say,

Metcalf going to explode!

xray

Reaction score
Is Penny still on the team ? I took a nap sorry .

kf3339

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb, but Robert Nkemdiche as our new 3tech DT shocks the whole league with at least 8 sacks. He dominates the against the rush and is a terror rushing the passer. That would be a real break out season!

Sometimes watching from the outside and knowing it may be your last chance is all the motivation one needs to reach your full potential. Besides, he may have a major chip on his shoulder right now.

mikeak

Reaction score
I just look at DL as having a breakout season leading to a fantastic secondary with takeaways again

Collier, Dunlap, Taylor, Hyder will hopefully create havoc and it will lead to opportunities to blitz Adams as well.

Don't know if it is one player as much as I hope for Havoc by committee

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Brooks
Blair/Reed
Robinson/Taylor

Basically these are guys that are hitting their 2nd year (ish). Blair technically on year 3 but has maybe half a season of snaps. Taylor is a redshirt rook.

These were guys that either looked ready to take the next step and showed flashes or were drafted in anticipation of making an impact. This defense needs quite a few of those kinds of players.

If 3 of these 5 pop as one could reasonably expect -- this defense looks and feels a whole lot more sound than it did last year.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":10cuk9sk said:
Brooks
Blair/Reed
Robinson/Taylor

Basically these are guys that are hitting their 2nd year (ish). Blair technically on year 3 but has maybe half a season of snaps. Taylor is a redshirt rook.

These were guys that either looked ready to take the next step and showed flashes or were drafted in anticipation of making an impact. This defense needs quite a few of those kinds of players.

If 3 of these 5 pop as one could reasonably expect -- this defense looks and feels a whole lot more sound than it did last year.

one could add collier to that list.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If Damien Lewis can become half as good at pass protection as he is at making running lanes, he'd probably be at the top of that list for me.

If the Hawks can be average vs. a-gap pressure, delayed blitzes, and stunts it'd extend plenty of drives.

I don't have a ton of confidence in the defense being much better than average, the easiest path to making me wrong would be the ability to generate pressure with four pass rushers.

Considering that, I guess Darrell Taylor, Rasheem Green, and LJ would be the guys to change the landscape on defense.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Jordyn Brooks

He's going to really flash this season and come into his own. He will be our starting MLB next season

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sounded like most are wishing Collier, Taylor and Brook to have breakout year. And Green too.