Julio Jones won't win us a Super Bowl

Tokadub

Reaction score
Just my opinion...

I think our window is closed.

Schottenheimer WASN'T THE PROBLEM...

Whatever kind of drama that transpired when we still had Schotty... (it's probably 100% Russell Wilson crying about it).

That's what broke the team up... I don't think we'll be better than that. End of era 90% sure.

Schotty WAS NOT THE PROBLEM... so team is broken basically if you have to replace something good...

Game over it was nice while it lasted.

flv

Reaction score
Is this a Schottenheimer thread?

I guess it could be a Julio Jones thread, without any actual Julio Jones in it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's ok, it will eventually become a blast Russ thread, like half of the ones on this page :mrgreen:

HawkFreak

Reaction score
Would acquiring Julio Jones be more about winning a SB...or helping to appease RW
in light of the recent issues?

Elemas

Reaction score
I think Julio could help. I mean, it’s f he’s still the same Julio, he would be the best receiver on the team. Considering we already have two incredible WRs…that’s a big statement.

But, I’m totally against giving up anything in the first two rounds. Julio isn’t a spring chicken anymore.

There are other needs I’d rather prioritize but, what’s available at this point? The options are limited.

There are some additional benefits such as keeping him off the 49ers but that’s a steep price to pay.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I got a vasectomy, and went from a working model to a sports model....Gee I wonder if Julio Jones has been vaccinated....OH AND, if you leave a door or window open, the flies are sure to come in....I hope I touched on some part of the OP's story line. :smilingalien:

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Elemas":1nnrq5n6 said:
I think Julio could help. I mean, it’s f he’s still the same Julio, he would be the best receiver on the team. Considering we already have two incredible WRs…that’s a big statement.

But, I’m totally against giving up anything in the first two rounds. Julio isn’t a spring chicken anymore.

There are other needs I’d rather prioritize but, what’s available at this point? The options are limited.

There are some additional benefits such as keeping him off the 49ers but that’s a steep price to pay.
I was reading somewhere he would only get a 2nd rounder I think he could bring a lot to the offense some of the catches he's made makes you sit back in AH.

John63

Reaction score
flv":1fkl390p said:
Is this a Schottenheimer thread?

I guess it could be a Julio Jones thread, without any actual Julio Jones in it.

no not a schotty thread another Wilson is the problem thread. The OP said "(it's probably 100% Russell Wilson crying about it).

That's what broke the team up... I don't think we'll be better than that. End of era 90% sure."

He is basically blaming Wilson for the supposed broke team. Of course no proof and at leasy he says it is his opinoin which means its worthless.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Elemas":1zzh6rjf said:

Hard to imagine him being fully recovered from all his injuries.

The guy is in his 30s now and has a lot of tread on his knees/feet and hamstrings.

Prime Julio, amazing HOF talent and skill set, now Julio, questionable.

I’m all for continuing to feed DK to further develop DK into an unguardable weapon and having a 30 something year old Jones that will not be a huge factor since he will play Robin to DK’s Batman AND for a team that wants to run the ball as much as possible isn’t worth the trade price.

Just my opinion.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It should be pretty clear that we could win a SB with Julio on this team.

But it would take a fundamental change in philosophy and execution.

We would need to bolster our pass defense and we would need to attempt to maximize both the # of offensive possessions available to us in a game, and the success rate PER POSSESSION in scoring TDs.

So doing things like running the clock down to remove opposing possessions from the board would have to go.

I don't see any future where Carroll would be the coach of a team that could win a SB with the above tactics and strategies. But the pieces appear to be on the roster, but for a few gaps here and there that a team committed to the above could resolve through trades and FA signings.

A SB is a tall goal though.

I would be pleased with just a divisional playoff win and a reasonably close conference championship game.

Julio just isn't a great fit for the kind of team Carroll wants to run here. Not in terms of cost. The opportunity would be huge but it would require Carroll to change and he can/will only do that for about half the regular season before he reverts.

So adding Julio wouldn't change much.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2cl4nqsi said:
It should be pretty clear that we could win a SB with Julio on this team..

IMO it's the defense that has been holding this team back the past 6-7 years from getting back to the SB, not the offense.

So I have to disagree with you there. Getting or not getting Jones would be around reason #15 as to why we got back to the SB, and most of the 15 reasons I'd list are on the defensive side of the ball.

pmedic920

Reaction score
The “point” of this thread is unclear to me, having said that.....

“The window has closed” is an opinion, it’s not a fact.

We have a better chance of winning the super bowl this year than most teams.
My guess would be better than at least 24 others.
I suspect that Vegas will back up my guess.

Edit:
And I have absolutely no clue what current odds are.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Tokadub, I'm confused what point you're making.

So what you're saying is, we won't win another Superbowl with Wilson at QB?

chris98251

Reaction score
Bringing in Jones as the Roster stands today is like bringing in Drew Brees from Retirement, both aged for their positions, both have had injuries they are recovering or just recovered from, both would be taking snaps form players growing and or in their prime.

Swain is a Veteran now and I would expect if we need a 3 and 4 wide set along with the rookie would be in that package and he was successful, and a lot cheaper.

If your paying 15 million to a guy it should be a shut down corner now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":3tktzdad said:

Edit:

If you want to look at it this way, I'd say adding Jones only slightly opens the window more than it already is with the current offensive roster personnel.

And certainly doesn't warrant taking a 15M hit, giving up yet another high draft pick AND having to move cap money around to fit him under it......which would probably mean restructuring both Bobby and Russell's contracts, which gives you less cap leverage next year should you decide to move on from either.

Now if Atlanta's willing to take a 3rd and pay a lot of Jone's salary for 2021 like we did with Clowney? Sure, I'm all ears.

But all the reports are that's not what Atlanta's willing to do, they know someone will take on the entire salary AND give them a high pick.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":310vs604 said:
pmedic920":310vs604 said:

Edit:

If you want to look at it this way, I'd say adding Jones only slightly opens the window more than it already is with the current offensive roster personnel.

And certainly doesn't warrant taking a 15M hit, giving up yet another high draft pick AND having to move cap money around to fit him under it......which would probably mean restructuring both Bobby and Russell's contracts, which gives you less cap leverage next year should you decide to move on from either.

Now if Atlanta's willing to take a 3rd and pay a lot of Jone's salary for 2021 like we did with Clowney? Sure, I'm all ears.

But all the reports are that's not what Atlanta's willing to do, they know someone will take on the entire salary AND give them a high pick.

Well at least we now know it wasn't Quinn or the players that created the issues there. :)

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My apologies.

My post said fix the pass defense. Actually, I meant fix the pass protection. My mistake.

So on that note, signing a FA shutdown corner is probably one of the worst things we could do in terms of giving us the best chance at a SB.

Last thing I want is to hear is we signed a lockdown corner for big dollars. Because that would shut the window on any opportunity we had to even win a divisional playoff game much less make it to the SB.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tokadub":19epiknc said:
Just my opinion...

I think our window is closed.

Schottenheimer WASN'T THE PROBLEM...

Whatever kind of drama that transpired when we still had Schotty... (it's probably 100% Russell Wilson crying about it).

That's what broke the team up... I don't think we'll be better than that. End of era 90% sure.

Schotty WAS NOT THE PROBLEM... so team is broken basically if you have to replace something good...

Game over it was nice while it lasted.

Is this an endorsement of the offense seen in the second half of 2020?

Sounds like an endorsement of the offense seen in the second half of 2020.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The problem with these kind of "negative" threads is that we are unlikely to win the Superbowl regardless. Maybe Julio Jones improves our chances from 6.1% to 6.3%, or maybe he decreases our chances from 6.1% to 5.5%. Either way it's pretty safe to claim he isn't going to win us a Super Bowl.

The better question is whether he improves the team enough to warrant the cost to acquire him in both draft picks and salary.

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
I'd be happy if the team stopped shopping their picks for players, especially a 32 year old receiver, even if it is Julio Jones. Was not having just three picks in this last draft not little enough?

Latest posts