How much better would we be if Walt was still playing LT?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Assuming he was in his prime the whole time. I think we would have 5 Super Bowl wins. And I think we win another this year.

Rat

Reaction score
Better, but not five Super Bowls better. The upgrade from Okung/Brown to Walt isn't insane enough to bring us there on it's own. Not to mention, Walt would be making a lot more money than those guys, which could have hurt us elsewhere.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Okung or Brown were second rate players. Walt was the number 1 or 2 best of all time. Can anyone remember him with a false start? Holding? The only time I remember him giving up a sack was against the "Boys" and he was badly injured and aged. He was a rock. Given a choice between Walt and Christ at Tackle, I would choose Walt. Mostly because Jesus could play QB and DB and not come off of the field.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
jeremiah":hu1x9qxy said:
Okung or Brown were second rate players. Walt was the number 1 or 2 best of all time. Can anyone remember him with a false start? Holding? The only time I remember him giving up a sack was against the "Boys" and he was badly injured and aged. He was a rock. Given a choice between Walt and Christ at Tackle, I would choose Walt. Mostly because Jesus could play QB and DB and not come off of the field.

I remember him struggling against the Giants when Osi Umenyiora was coming into his prime and Walt was a bit older.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Not much better. Duane Brown was a top-5, likely top-3, LT last season.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Brown is significantly better than Okung was. Like by a wide margin. Your doing him a disservice by lumping him in with Okung.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Big Walt was the best LT I have ever watched. Without a doubt the OLine would be better but still would have issues in the middle if he was there. RW's blind side would be protected better but not so much better that it would make a huge difference. Brown is a good solid LT just not as good as Walt.

To me the weakness of the Line is at C though Pocic got better last season he still got pushed around. He is the weak link for the OLine. The switch of Damien Lewis to LG replacing Iupati and adding Game Jackson to RG adds proven ability at both guard spots and gives some strength to the middle of the Line. I hope this will allow Pocic to play stronger than he shown so far. Brandon Shell is an upgrade at RT over any other player the team has had there for quite some time.

The Line looks to at least have the possibility of playing far better than the past few seasons if they can come together and remain healthy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lots of average to above average teams over the years have had HOF caliber tackles, doesn't equal SB's.

Gimme back the LOB in their prime and I agree, we'd have won multiple SB's by now. But just Jones in place of Brown who's also a very good LT? No, not enough of an impact to win SB's.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'd rather take Hutch or even Unger in his prime since Brown is not a weakness on this team. With Hutch we'd be significantly better, with Walt, just a bit better.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Can someone who has madden add in Walt to see how it effects the overall team rating?

A-Dog

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":306k84tk said:
jeremiah":306k84tk said:

I remember him struggling against the Giants when Osi Umenyiora was coming into his prime and Walt was a bit older.
He was injured to be fair. That game kind of did signal the end was near.

Assuming we added a prime Walt without having to give up an trade capital then absolutely we'd have at least a couple more titles, and Russ would probably have a couple of MVPs.

You have to consider the trickle-down effect - LT would have been completely settled. We wouldn't be throwing guys like McQuistan, Fant, Sowell, etc. out there. And we wouldn't have had to trade for Brown.

But honestly as I think about this it just illustrates how terrible our drafting and recruitment at OL has been under Pete & John (and, has to be said, Cable)

Drafted in the first four rounds: Carpenter, Moffet, Britt, Ifedi, Pocic, Poole, Glowinski, Odhiambo. Pretty much all of them underperformed their draft position and mosts were flat busts. Only Britt and Pocic got 2nd contracts. Britt is gone now after being overpaid and Pocic is the current weakest player on our OL.

Free Agents: Gallery, McQuistan, Sowell, Webb, Joekel, Finney, etc. Just a disgusting collection of players we wasted money on.

Conversion Projects: Sweezy, Gilliam, Fant, Sokoli. Some success here with low initial investment but consider the amount of time and energy spent developing these guys only to see them sign for bigger money elsewhere when they finally become useful. We developed these guys for other teams.

Awful, just awful.

Rat

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2a0bxwuu said:
Brown is significantly better than Okung was. Like by a wide margin. Your doing him a disservice by lumping him in with Okung.

Nobody is lumping him in with Okung.

Walt was the best player to ever wear a Seahawks uniform. That doesn't change the fact that he's still just one player.

Smellyman

Reaction score
How many did we bet with Walt in his prime, with a great oline?

toffee

Reaction score
If we have prime Walt on our team today, we could move Brown to RT. We are excellent in tackles. We could be good at guards too.

May be trade Shelll for a center?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk