Interesting Stone Forsythe writeup by The Athletic

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you have a subscription you can access the full article here. Here are a few takeaways for those without access:

- Forsythe was the most polarizing prospect in the draft, rated anywhere between 1st round and UDFA.

- Analysts agreed that he was a "really talented pass protector" and a "very poor run blocker".

- Brandon Thorn (OL scout) described his run blocking deficiencies as technique related:
Brandon Thorn":ep3jbold said:
Pad level and footwork out of his stance, lining up his target and not being off, too shallow, too wide, the placement of his hands. I feel like he needs a lot of work technically. Part of that could be tied to the fact that they were a wide-open, pass-the-ball type of offense. But can’t really escape the fact that it is what it is.

- Former NFL OL CJ Davis stuck up for Forsythe's run blocking and blamed it on a lack of opportunity at Florida.

- Todd McShay didn't even have Forsythe in his top 300 because "he’s a waist bender who struggles to sustain and ends up on the ground too much in the run game. The tape doesn’t match the talent."

- Forsythe has excellent athleticism for his size, which Pete Carroll thinks will make him a good fit in Shane Waldron's zone stretch offense:
Pete Carroll":ep3jbold said:
He can block on the perimeter, we’ve seen him get out and stay on his feet. He’s not on the ground much at all for a big guy. He’s got good coordination and all that and like I said, he does run well. You wouldn’t think a guy that tall would be as fast as he is.”

In my view there's a pretty good chance (60%?) that Forsythe will be our left tackle of the future.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Coach him up! 1st round prospect just for his pass protection? That works for me! Now surround him with non stop running protection practice.

Sure a future starting Tackle would be a dream out of the 6th round but even a rotational/starting guard would equal an A+ grade from the 6th round.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I believe UF runs a spread offense? Hopefully Forsythe is a better in our zone.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
He seems to attracts a lot of positive comments about his athleticism. I've always believed in athletes being able to adapt and learn to be good at whatever they work to achieve. Give him some time and if he really is the athlete so many believe he is he'll become very good for what we need him to do, especially since he comes in as already an accomplished pass blocker.