Duane Brown attending minicamp but wants new deal.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He deserves it. He was a top left tackle last year. His most recent play is worth way more than $10m, and he doesn't have much time left to earn that check.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Would it be worth it to give him top money if it caused the other top four to sit out until THEY got top money?
This stuff never ends, just like the negative slant storylines based on "REPORT..."

I'd like to see every Seahawk who wants a raise to clear it with KJ first.

Jville

Reaction score
We see this kind of stuff over and over again.

It's mostly about the media and the #1 rule of this new age media.

If ya can't find a crisis to write about, create one.

massari

Reaction score
They should take this chance to open up the cap room. Still one of the best. Still got a few years to catch up to Andrew Whitworth in age.

PFF has him as the 8th best LT entering 2021:
Common sense would suggest that Duane Brown was embarking on a late-career decline in 2019 after producing one of the three lowest PFF grades of his career at 34 years old. But his 2020 campaign indicated otherwise. Brown enjoyed one of the best seasons of his 13-year career, posting a grade north of 80.0 in both facets and an 87.8 overall mark that ranked fifth at the position. No matter what happens in 2021, Brown has already established himself as one of the best tackles PFF has ever seen.

Rat

Reaction score
Jville":1zw48mmd said:

So, Brown doesn't want a new deal?

Jville

Reaction score
Rat":l7zjn4hj said:
Jville":l7zjn4hj said:

What player going into the last year of his contract doesn't want an extension?

It's not exactly news worthy unless it's pumped up and presented as a crisis.

Rat

Reaction score
Jville":3kf1uyh7 said:
Rat":3kf1uyh7 said:
Jville":3kf1uyh7 said:

I dont see anyone making it a crisis. They even noted he's not holding out.

Not everyone is looking for an extension. If Brown is, it's probably because he plays a premier position, and turns 36 in August. Waiting to test free agency next offseason is unlikely his desired course of action.

It's mid-June and we're getting like three posts a day. I dont care if they if they mention things in their report that aren't orange level alert.

He's good, we need him and he probably deserves a bump in pay. Hopefully, it doesn't turn into something that creates tension.

Jville

Reaction score
Rat":2vgm3g1c said:
Jville":2vgm3g1c said:
Rat":2vgm3g1c said:
Jville":2vgm3g1c said:

Not everyone is looking for an extension. If Brown is, it's probably because he plays a premier position, and turns 36 in August. Waiting to test free agency next offseason is unlikely his desired course of action.

It's mid-June and we're getting like three posts a day. I dont care if they if they mention things in their report that aren't orange level alert.

He's good, we need him and he probably deserves a bump in pay. Hopefully, it doesn't turn into something that creates tension.

The media loves to toy with its subjects. It might be only a matter of time before the media, in it's quest for generating a crisis and instilling tension, starts speculating on Duane Brown contemplating retirement. How does that play in a quest for more than 3 posts per day?

Link to NBC rumor mill >>> Pete Carroll: If Duane Brown wants to keep playing, we would love for it to be with us >>> [urltargetblank]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/15/pete-carroll-if-duane-brown-wants-to-keep-playing-we-would-love-for-it-to-be-with-us/[/urltargetblank]

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jville":sk60h0j1 said:
Rat":sk60h0j1 said:
Jville":sk60h0j1 said:

No, but somebody will make something out of it. The same article it says "After Russell threw his offensive line under the bus."

Never happened. All Russell said was "I'm tired of getting hit." I took it to mean that 10 years of being the most sacked QB in the NFL needs to be remedied, and it took RW going public to focus Pete's attention on it.

The constant play calls of going deep were impossible to defend against the #1 defense, and the Seahawks offensive plan showed just how bad it's been.

But there are tons of articles saying the OLine is going to be mad at Russell, etc etc. Not so. Those guys know what's going on. Dave Wyman kept going back to watching Duane Brown storm off the field because of 3 and out play callng. Duane doesn't need anyone to explain to him why RW was getting hit so much. And as the leader of the OLine, the rest of the guys follow suit.

I expect this story will blow up just like the "contract dispute" between Jamal Adams and the Seahawks, and reports that Jamal wants pass rusher money.

Per Brady Henderson, he expects negotiations to go just as they did with BWagz. Work on it during the summer, and finalize it a couple of weeks before the season starts.

I for one, am not worried.

Rat

Reaction score
Jville":1ff1dzmi said:
Rat":1ff1dzmi said:
Jville":1ff1dzmi said:
Rat":1ff1dzmi said:

The media loves to toy with its subjects. It might be only a matter of time before the media, in it's quest for generating a crisis and instilling tension, starts speculating on Duane Brown contemplating retirement. How does that play in a quest for more than 3 posts per day?

Link to NBC rumor mill >>> Pete Carroll: If Duane Brown wants to keep playing, we would love for it to be with us >>> [urltargetblank]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/15/pete-carroll-if-duane-brown-wants-to-keep-playing-we-would-love-for-it-to-be-with-us/[/urltargetblank]

They're just reporting what they know. I don't see any editorializing. If people want to read too much into it, that's on them.

Glad he wants to stay here. His age makes his situation a little unique. We've seen a few guys like Jason Peters and Andrew Whitworth continue to play well at that age, although it doesn't happen enough to call it typical. Glad I'm not the one in charge of that.

Rat

Reaction score
ivotuk":1oc6rlu3 said:
Jville":1oc6rlu3 said:
Rat":1oc6rlu3 said:
Jville":1oc6rlu3 said:

No, but somebody will make something out of it. The same article it says "After Russell threw his offensive line under the bus."

Never happened. All Russell said was "I'm tired of getting hit." I took it to mean that 10 years of being the most sacked QB in the NFL needs to be remedied, and it took RW going public to focus Pete's attention on it.

The constant play calls of going deep were impossible to defend against the #1 defense, and the Seahawks offensive plan showed just how bad it's been.

But there are tons of articles saying the OLine is going to be mad at Russell, etc etc. Not so. Those guys know what's going on. Dave Wyman kept going back to watching Duane Brown storm off the field because of 3 and out play callng. Duane doesn't need anyone to explain to him why RW was getting hit so much. And as the leader of the OLine, the rest of the guys follow suit.

I expect this story will blow up just like the "contract dispute" between Jamal Adams and the Seahawks, and reports that Jamal wants pass rusher money.

Per Brady Henderson, he expects negotiations to go just as they did with BWagz. Work on it during the summer, and finalize it a couple of weeks before the season starts.

I for one, am not worried.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm worried, but Duane does have a decent amount of leverage.

Jville

Reaction score
Rat":1g5udm8h said:
Jville":1g5udm8h said:
Rat":1g5udm8h said:
Jville":1g5udm8h said:

They're just reporting what they know. I don't see any editorializing. If people want to read too much into it, that's on them.

Glad he wants to stay here. His age makes his situation a little unique. We've seen a few guys like Jason Peters and Andrew Whitworth continue to play well at that age, although it doesn't happen enough to call it typical. Glad I'm not the one in charge of that.

The editorializing nudge is often introduced by the choice of words in a title. The second hand quotes in the article are lifted and credited to local reporter Curtis Crabtree. In my opinion, national rumor mills play with their subjects.

Pete Carroll's Press Conference >>> his actual words >>> no second hand inferences >>> free of tea readers inferences >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.seahawks.com/video/pete-carroll-2021-minicamp-day-1-press-conference[/urltargetblank]

............... there is always room for non fiction enthusiasts :2thumbs:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Duane Brown is no spring chicken, but it’s not like Carroll didn’t have the Forsythe (sounds like foresight, get it? its a joke…) to see this coming.

Brown’s, Seahawks, days will end soon, maybe not this upcoming season but soon.

He isn’t getting a new deal, sorry, Duane!

sutz

Reaction score
Since we're not really set at LT post-Brown, I suspect he'll get another deal, probably in the 2-3 year range that will give him a few more bucks and might even lower his cap hit this year. He's old, but he has a couple of more good seasons in him IMHO.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If DJ Humphries is the highest paid OT in the league, then Brown is grossly underpaid. He can run circles around DJ even at 36 years old.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
There should not be any talk of a new deal.

Duane is paid handsomely this year. If he does stellar, then he'll be asked back for next year as a "prove-it" deal for cheap.

After all, this is what's going on with KJ Wright. If he plays, it'll be on that kind of deal.

Signing someone to a new extension at 37? There aren't very many offensive linemen left at 37.

sutz

Reaction score
Brown is 35. His 36th BDay is this Aug 30.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Brown

Duane Anthony Brown (born August 30, 1985) is an American football offensive tackle for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Virginia Tech, and was drafted by the Houston Texans in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
sutz":28hbwv23 said:
Brown is 35. His 36th BDay is this Aug 30.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Brown

Duane Anthony Brown (born August 30, 1985) is an American football offensive tackle for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Virginia Tech, and was drafted by the Houston Texans in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

OK, but still.

If there's a great '21, there will be opportunities for a '22. Maybe. But everyone knows we're going into a reset.

So, I don't see any point in Duane doing this. He'll get paid as it is, if he does stellar, maybe us or some team pays him. Or maybe he ends up like KJ.

Not enough upside to offer anything extra at this time, IMO.