Roster Churn 6/16 Wood-Anderson in - BJ Emmons out

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1405259344220852225[/tweet]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1l031x1c said:
Curious why they continue to bolster a crowded TE room when we have more pressing needs at other spots.

Exactly. So many resources for an underutilized position.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
[vine][/vine]
hawkfan68":ohiv70hj said:
Appyhawk":ohiv70hj said:
Curious why they continue to bolster a crowded TE room when we have more pressing needs at other spots.

Exactly. So many resources for an underutilized position.

A new OC may change how that position is utilized; changes at TE appear to be Waldron moves.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
In 2020, there were only 4 other teams with a greater percentage of 12 personnel utilization than the Seahawks. The Arizona Cardinals and Los Angeles Rams were among those top 4 ..... leading the way in 12 personnel utilization. That's 4 division games demanding preparatory attention before the regular season begins.

Having six tight ends seems about right going into training camp. In addition to their contribution on offense, the defense needs to see those looks as well. A seventh contingency tight end would not be unprecedented.

With all the blitzing going on, 12 personnel has a lot to offer with the uncertainty it presents to defenses thru a choice of symmetry or asymmetry formations.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There is little likelihood as we all know the team will keep all these guys, but it is also clear the O will be different, and as you note it’d not be a surprise to see more 12 personnel even as a base formation. I expect to see the TEs used more often and differently than was the case under the last two OCs.

They are clearly looking for something though and are cycling through a cadre of TEs to find players who can do what they want. The same is happening with the CB group but there is a lesser emphasis now on the ‘Seahawks Standard’ size parameters for them.

I’m really curious to see how it all looks once the games are for real.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There are 7 RBs including FB, 13 WRs, and 6 TEs along 4 QBs (30 players) as they bring in guys to battle for spots. There is a lot of competition for just few spots. Many are competing for just PS spots. To me it’s apparent there are at least 2 locks at QB, 4 at WR, 1 at FB, 2 at RB, and 3 at TE (11 players). The team looks to have reasonable depth competing for the 6 available open spots.

At this point it would appear that there will be 2 QBs, 5 or 6 WRs, 1 FB, 4 RBs, 4 TEs, (17 spots) on the final roster for offensive skill positions. This is just a guesstimate, but it leaves 9 OLine spots available.

Own The West

Reaction score
Waldron's going to want to run a lot of 12 personnel, so there is an increased need for TE depth.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2qp60r9a said:
There are 7 RBs including FB, 13 WRs, and 6 TEs along 4 QBs (30 players) as they bring in guys to battle for spots. There is a lot of competition for just few spots. Many are competing for just PS spots. To me it’s apparent there are at least 2 locks at QB, 4 at WR, 1 at FB, 2 at RB, and 3 at TE (11 players). The team looks to have reasonable depth competing for the 6 available open spots.

At this point it would appear that there will be 2 QBs, 5 or 6 WRs, 1 FB, 4 RBs, 4 TEs, (17 spots) on the final roster for offensive skill positions. This is just a guesstimate, but it leaves 9 OLine spots available.

That sounds right, although as the 4th RB and the FB that could be changed by a TE that can do both, making 5 TE''s and or making room for a 5th RB. Trying to remember how much I seen a FB in the Rams back field when we played them.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Appyhawk":q098hmwx said:

The roster is large and this sort of thing really doesn't have much bearing on how the team will end up looking. None of this is need-filling.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team has been looking for TE depth for a few seasons. I’m curious what it really is they are looking for but every year the pile is deep as they comb through potential candidates. In some ways it certainly could be argued the team hasn’t used them well. I am hopeful this will now change with Waldron and we see more 2 TE sets.

I’m not sure the team would keep 5 TEs with the FB we have here. Our FB was a Pro Bowl player last season and is a solid ST contributors as well. Of course if they found the right guy who could double as a FB, block, play ST, and catch perhaps our FB could be trade piece at some point.

Interesting idea to discuss though.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3svv3rl5 said:
The team has been looking for TE depth for a few seasons. I’m curious what it really is they are looking for but every year the pile is deep as they comb through potential candidates. In some ways it certainly could be argued the team hasn’t used them well. I am hopeful this will now change with Waldron and we see more 2 TE sets.

I’m not sure the team would keep 5 TEs with the FB we have here. Our FB was a Pro Bowl player last season and is a solid ST contributors as well. Of course if they found the right guy who could double as a FB, block, play ST, and catch perhaps our FB could be trade piece at some point.

Interesting idea to discuss though.

I'm not sure the roster churn is finished just yet at the tight end positions. What I think they are looking for is versatility. Players that can line up and shift to different spots on the field. Players that can catch and run and block. The keys to protection, passing and running schemes.

In 2020, Gerald Everett was targeted 62 times for an average of 3.9 targets per game. Everett figures to be a prominent receiver for the Seahawks in 2021. By comparison Greg Olsen was targeted 37 times for an average of 3.4 targets per game over a 11 game season in 2020.

Jacob Hollister was the second most targeted tight end in 2020 with 40 targets for an average of 2.5 targets per game. The more versatile Will Dissly who was coming off of rehab in 2020 was targeted 29 times for an average of 1.9 targets per game. Now that Will is 100%, his numbers are going way up.

Colby Parkinson only saw 2 targets after returning from a broken foot in a covin plagued 2020. Pete is looking for him to be "a factor" ..... i.e. HUGE increase in targets.

The versatile Tyler Mabry should have a better feel for things to come after benefiting from a full season on the practice squad. He's under the radar but should be a competitive factor for filling out a team.

A note about 13 personnel ................ I think the number of times we see 13 personnel on the field could triple or quadruple from 15 plays in 2020 to as many as 60 plays in 2021. That's assuming that the 6th linemen doesn't reappear as an alternative to deploying a 3rd tight end. In any case, I expect targets to tight ends to increase this year regardless of the mix of personnel groups used in 2021.