If the Hawks moved to Alabama, would you still support them?

Spohawks

Reaction score
The idea is if they moved to some distant state, would you still be a die hard fan?

I say freak no! When the Sonics left, I liked keeping up with how the old players were doing but once the old squad moved on, I was 100% done with OKC.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Most of the players would be sad.

I'm projecting my time of culture shock going from the greatest section of the world - the pnw - to the panhandle of florida, the hanging chad of the united states.

oof, I was depressed, everything is fried, and it was like stepping into a history book.

looking back I did a bunch of growing up down there, but I don't miss mowing the lawn at 6a to avoid heatstroke.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The Raiders left two years ago, and there still are a lot of Raiders fans in Oakland. But it's going to get like Raiders fans in LA.

The Rams probably do have some St. Louis fans left. Fewer, probably, than Oakland.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
They would become my most hated team in the entire league, much like The Thunder. To have any other reaction would be treasonous.

Torc

Reaction score
I've become increasingly cynical about pro sports in general; I was a fair weather Sonics fan but since they moved my interest in the NBA has dropped to zero. I feel similarly about the Mariners; fair weather fan means I don't have to spend time on them most years...but if they moved, seeya!

My love of the Seahawks has so far outweighed my cynicism. If they moved, I'd either gravitate to another team, just watch whatever game is on TV that weekend, or ignore the NFL entirely.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
As a non Seattleite and as someone with no particular ties to any part of the US you would think that it would be easy for me to watch the Seahawks play elsewhere but I dont think that would be the case for me.

I picked the Seahawks as my team because of the most superficial reasons, I liked the colours and the name (I was eight at the time) but I love the Seahawks because of the fans, the location and the general vibe of how the PNW resonates with me as a person. I've never visited Seattle (hoping to change that soon) but I do genuinely get the feeling it's a place I would get along in. I feel invested in Seattle as a place living there vicariously through my Seahawk fandom.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
The thread title worried me it was an attempt to politicize our football forum. That would be a deal killer, just as moving the Seahawks anywhere would be a deal killer on allegiance. I love my team, but moving them would probably result in my interest in pro football taking a steep dive.

keasley45

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":36ize1ur said:
As a non Seattleite and as someone with no particular ties to any part of the US you would think that it would be easy for me to watch the Seahawks play elsewhere but I dont think that would be the case for me.

I picked the Seahawks as my team because of the most superficial reasons, I liked the colours and the name (I was eight at the time) but I love the Seahawks because of the fans, the location and the general vibe of how the PNW resonates with me as a person. I've never visited Seattle (hoping to change that soon) but I do genuinely get the feeling it's a place I would get along in. I feel invested in Seattle as a place living there vicariously through my Seahawk fandom.

This. I don't think I'd be a fan of a non Seattle hawks team. I became a fan after attending a game that a cousin of Kenny Easley took me to. We were supposed to go out after for dinner but Kenny was too beat up... as were the hawks that day, 30 something to 6 at the hands of Simms, LT and the Giants. But I remember the impact that game made on me. As a kid I was drawn to the hawks because of the mascot and the colors. I was branded a fan forever after experiencing a game alongside some 60k other rabid fans. There was nothing like the kingdome and the home field advantage that the fans afforded. The wave, the 'go... seeeeaaahawks' chant. All of it. And on top of it the hawks themselves embodied the underdog mentality that the city itself possessed - hands down one of the most incredible of places to live, work, and play, that no one knew about.

That character transferred to the new stadium and revamped c. 2000s team and turned into the powerhouse we have the joy of experiencing every season. But no, I don't think you can move the hawks out of Seattle and still have the same team. At least not in my opinion. Same colors, same players for a while, but not the same team.

I think the link between team and place is as strong here as in Pittsburgh or green bay... Miami or Dallas.
I'd say the same for colts, which is why that fan base suffered as much as they did when the team up and left for indy. The colts WERE baltimore. Like the Browns WERE Cleveland.

The Hawks ARE Seattle.

TreeRon

Reaction score
No especially if they ended up in the CSA.
I could handle Salt Lake. Although the Salt Lake Seahawks leaves a lot to be desired.

Own The West

Reaction score
I stopped watching basketball when the Sonics left. The only two games I've seen since were two Golden State playoff games when I was travelling, because the mentioned Kevin Durant as I was flipping channels in my hotel room. I was curious to see how the last 1st round pick of the Seattle Supersonics turned out. I haven't watched a game since.

I don't watch other people's teams.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maulbert":nx5osoaa said:
pittpnthrs":nx5osoaa said:
More so. They would be closer to me.

As if I needed a reason to find you more contemptible.

Go root for the Steelers.

Still salty are you? My allegiance is with the team, not the city. I've gone to Seattle to catch a game. Lets just say, it was ok to visit, but I would never live there.

The Bama Hawks has a nice ring to it.

chris98251

Reaction score
They would be just another NFL team then.

I would gravitate to watching more of the most interesting match ups rather then the Seahawks. We already have been down this road and were a key turn away from it happening by Behring, these threads to me and I am sure many of us that have been here from day one are like walking into a Honey Bucket after a whole homeless camp has had their way in it.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The question is if there is an acceptable reason for a team to move cities and I can't think of one. The NFL makes too much money and franchises gain too much value for stadium funding to be a deal breaker.

It's not something we have to worry about. Having an NFL team in the pacific northwest makes sense, and Seattle is the city where it makes the most sense. The Hawks have a gigantic fanbase in terms of area and we're the 15th most valuable team according to Forbes.