Heaps: Hawks Should Trade For CB Xavien Howard

massari

Reaction score
“When Jamal Adams is brought on a blitz, it puts more pressure on the back end (of the defense) and in your coverage to be more stable,” said 710 ESPN Seattle’s Jake Heaps.

As the former Seahawks QB continued to explain, it means Seattle’s DBs have to utilize more man-to-man coverage as opposed to the zone coverages head coach Pete Carroll tends to favor.

That turns into a personnel issue for Seattle.

“When you look at the Seahawks’ cornerback room, I don’t think that you can say definitively that you can feel confident that this group can hold up at a high level in man-to-man coverage,” Heaps said.

If they want to continue a high percentage of blitzes (with Adams), there’s one guy that I think they need to go target,” Heaps said. “While Stephon Gilmore is somebody that really intrigues me for this organization to bring in – he is a good man-to-man coverage corner, he’s a guy that is instinctual in zone coverage, and I do believe that he could transfer over to the Seahawks’ scheme – I’m also concerned about what he did last year. His play declined after a defensive MVP year (in 2019), and I am just nervous that if you bring on Stephon Gilmore, you are getting him on the downslope of his career.

“How about trading for someone that is on the uptick of his career and that is currently upset with his organization and is reportedly (coming up) in trade talks? And that is Miami Dolphins corner Xavien Howard.”

“If you want to lean into Jamal Adams’ strength, why not go and get one of the best man-to-man corners in the game?” asked Heaps. “Somebody that is in their prime, that could be a lock-down corner, a guy who truly can find the ball, get their hands on the ball, turnovers, takeaways – what Pete Carroll seeks after. If you’re going to make a splash move, why not go truly all-in and go after Xavien Howard?”

On the fence about this. Going all in, and trading away an already limited supply of draft capital for another high cap hit is pretty risky.

But this could be a move that pushes the team over the top for the next couple seasons, along with another addition or two to the DL.

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Rat":1cbt6z0b said:
With what?
Probably a 2022 2nd and 2023 1st. Or Jamal Adams if they decide he's asking for too much, and would rather pay that money to a shutdown CB.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Do it! Proven talent is better than a bunch of maybes. I just lived through the worst Seahawk draft in history and I will do it again to shore up the remaining hole on the team. If it happens, the hawks are a lock for the playoffs.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Spohawks":2w751b16 said:
Do it! Proven talent is better than a bunch of maybes. I just lived through the worst Seahawk draft in history and I will do it again to shore up the remaining hole on the team. If it happens, the hawks are a lock for the playoffs.

Worst draft in Seahawks history? Go check out those 2006-2008 draft classes then check out the 4-12 and 5-11 seasons they produced.

Spohawks

Reaction score
sdog1981":2w3916s4 said:
Spohawks":2w3916s4 said:

Worst draft in Seahawks history? Go check out those 2006-2008 draft classes then check out the 4-12 and 5-11 seasons they produced.
I just painfully went through all the Seahawks drafts and there was way worse drafts than the 2006-2008! I get now why they stunk for decades. So many misses! They were red hot though when the Hawks had 2 first round picks...they nailed those first 2 every time!

After that nightmare research I am going to see how these 3 players shake out before I call them the worst.

nanomoz

Reaction score
The Hawks should raise Cortez Kennedy from the dead and restore him to his 25-year-old self.

(This is only slightly less likely than what Heaps proposes.)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I won't lie, I am nervous about our CB situation.

Current starters are Witherspoon, Reed and Flowers and a rookie backup......................so yes, another veteran would be nice, especially a really good one like Howard.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This right here ^
No way in hell am I going to feel comfortable until we add a true SOLID veteran at corner.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rtjmkvz said:

Current starters are Witherspoon, Reed and Flowers and a rookie backup......................so yes, another veteran would be nice, especially a really good one like Howard.

Pierre Desir has talent, Damarious Randall former first rounder who has played well also, last stop was GB, they have people, we just don't know them yet.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Spohawks":16v1b5uw said:
sdog1981":16v1b5uw said:
Spohawks":16v1b5uw said:

I just painfully went through all the Seahawks drafts and there was way worse drafts than the 2006-2008! I get now why they stunk for decades. So many misses! They were red hot though when the Hawks had 2 first round picks...they nailed those first 2 every time!

After that nightmare research I am going to see how these 3 players shake out before I call them the worst.

The Seahawks are one of the few teams that dose really well with 2 first-round picks.

As for the CB situation as a whole, they do need to add one more player that is proven to be at least average at the NFL level.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":3tqo4n97 said:
Sgt. Largent":3tqo4n97 said:

Pierre Desir has talent, Damarious Randall former first rounder who has played well also, last stop was GB, they have people, we just don't know them yet.

That's my point, potential and unknown = nervous.

If you fancy yourself a SB caliber team, which I assume we do? Then this CB group should make even the most optimistic coach and fan nervous.

Because right now DJ Reed is our most reliable CB, and he showed up halfway through the season last year. So yes, I'd like another experienced vet.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Spohawks":2qydz3vc said:
sdog1981":2qydz3vc said:
Spohawks":2qydz3vc said:

I consider Jamal Adams as a part of this draft.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":3d7f06wh said:
Sgt. Largent":3d7f06wh said:

What's the deal with Damarious Randall last season? He lingered on practice squad most of the season, couldn't unseat Tre Flowers?

balakoth

Reaction score
Reed was our Game caller for years and we clearly sucked at the rush during those.

Replacing him really isn't an issue in my mind

Jville

Reaction score
My goodness. They currently have 17 defensive backs to sort thru prior to opening day. I just don't see any urgency to further address the db room prior to the first couple of pre-season games.

Sure they may play along just to stay engaged with Xavien Howard events. But, I would expect that to be the extent of it. There are plenty of other teams with greater need, more cap space and more in the way of trade assets.

PS: when it comes to cap space and trade assets, I'm much more interested in extending Quandre Diggs. What a return on investment he turned out to be. :2thumbs:

toffee

Reaction score
Unless we redo Russ or Bobby's contract , we can't really afford him, can we?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

massari

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is nearing the end of his career, so making one final huge push to win the next couple of seasons seems like it'd be ideal for him. And this could be Wilson's final season here if he's unhappy about another early playoff exit. Investing in a shutdown CB could mean keeping their elite QB.