Favorite Seahawks player of the 70's

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Its still kind of slow for Seahawks news for a few more weeks so I figured I would try to add a little fun. If this has any action to it, I'll add a new decade every few days. I'm just getting tired of logging onto .net and not seeing much new to read and discuss. The only thing I ask, is please keep this thread to Seahawks who were with the team in the 70's. It's a smaller sample size because the team didn't start playing until 1976 so its only a half decade. This thread may be of more interest to us older folks but hang on you youngsters, hopefully more decades to follow!
I'll start. I'm gonna say QB Jim Zorn and RB Sherman Smith. I know there was a certain WR who wore #80 but his best years and recognition really came in the 80's.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Kicker Efren Herrera. Highlighted by the special teams trickery they employed then. They may have not been the best team out there in those days but boy were they fun to watch.

Own The West

Reaction score
I was a kid, so I was a big fan of Zorn mostly because he was a lefty like me, and Keith Butler because y'know ... BUTT-ler.

As an adult, I'd have to give a lifetime achievement award to Steve Raible for what's he's meant to this franchise and another player who's the answer to the trivia question: Who's the only Seahawk QB to have his jersey number retired?

Jville

Reaction score
Steve Largent ..... the emerging Jedi receiver was a joy to watch grow on into the 80s.

But what I miss most of all was the city community of that era. The fans of that era. It was a special fleeting moment in time. And I was privileged to have been a part of it before it faded into the past.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As a left handed kid growing up in the 70's running around the playground and sports fields hucking around a football with my buddies in pickup games, Jim Zorn was my idol.

keasley45

Reaction score
The name I remember most often, or at least in my top 5 from the 70s that most people don't reference is Dan Doornick. He was unheralded outside of the PNW but was just solid, reliable.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
keasley45":1ozff3h2 said:
The name I remember most often, or at least in my top 5 from the 70s that most people don't reference is Dan Doornick. He was unheralded outside of the PNW but was just solid, reliable.

Doornink barely qualifies as a player in the 70’s because 1979 was his first year as a Seahawk. His impact, mostly as a 3rd down back didn’t really happen until the 80’s.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Jville":2qdfxsa2 said:
Steve Largent ..... the emerging Jedi receiver was a joy to watch grow on into the 80s.

But what I miss most of all was the city community of that era. The fans of that era. It was a special fleeting moment in time. And I was privileged to have been a part of it before it faded into the past.

I’ll give you Largent even though most of his career was in the 80’s. He was definitely a favorite in the first few years and 80’s.

chris98251

Reaction score
Mike Curtis, first attitude guy we had on defense. He taught nasty to all the players brought in to make the first few teams, but Dave Brown was the guy that would become a steady force back in the secondary.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":23rrirwr said:
Zorn and Largent by a wide margin for me.

As a young highschooler yes, I think we all fell for those guys, they were the face of the Franchise.

I am reflecting now and appreciate those guys that laid the mortar as well.

Jville

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1yc3z06p said:
Jville":1yc3z06p said:

I’ll give you Largent even though most of his career was in the 80’s. He was definitely a favorite in the first few years and 80’s.

There was another player that came out of the University of Tulsa. Offensive tackle Steve August who joined the team one year after Largent in 1977. Quick as a cat was he. Very precise with his movement. A joy to watch demonstrate the blocking game. Schooled many a defensive end.

Typically overlooked or ignored by fans. Few can tell you who, to this day, has the most starts at right tackle for the Seattle Seahawks. :biggthumpup: But we know the answer to that ..... don't we.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
chris98251":2bexa7pv said:
Mike Curtis, first attitude guy we had on defense. He taught nasty to all the players brought in to make the first few teams, but Dave Brown was the guy that would become a steady force back in the secondary.

Dave Brown started at safety, then converted to CB and had a stellar run there. Such a great Seahawk, and consider that the Steelers were so frickin' talented back then they exposed Brown to the expansion draft.

I love this thread so much I want to take it home and get it pregnant.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Dave Brown was a close 3rd for me to Zorn and Largent. He was an exceptional DB.

AKNFidel

Reaction score
Fullback Don Testerman... When I was a kid, I had a Tops card that said he ate glass. He was my first “Super Hero”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If we talked about tough guys as a topic although he played mostly in the 80’s Joe Nash was special.

There are lots.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
jammerhawk":knp6w6lc said:
If we talked about tough guys as a topic although he played mostly in the 80’s Joe Nash was special.

There are lots.

Joe Nash didn’t play in the 70’s.