toffee

Reaction score
Boring summer, so, a list of guys that need to step up:

On DL:
Collier
Green
Mone
Nkemdiche
These four, our 3tech by committee, need to produce more than what Reed did alone last year. (Reed: 5 TFL, 14 QB Hits, 6.5 Sacks)

LB:
Taylor
Brooks
If these two couldn't have a great years, we would be down to Barton and BBK, a scary though.

DB:
lol, all of them

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Somos doces":159b6bss said:
I kinda thought Brooks broke out last season. Are you looking for him to earn a Bowl nod in '21?

He held his own, but it definitely wasn't a "breakout" season by definition. I'd like to see some more splash plays.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Somos doces":2k8bsjy0 said:
I kinda thought Brooks broke out last season. Are you looking for him to earn a Bowl nod in '21?

He definitely flashed. His speed and instincts on full display. I want to see him trust his eyes more. Get his hands on balls and take the next step from just being in position to make stops into getting his hands on balls and getting turnovers. The ability to read/recognize plays and leverage what we saw last season into very real game altering ability.

massari

Reaction score
Nkemdiche has been cut by his last two teams, and missed all of last season. It's nice to hope he and/or Palmore, Hewitt, Lattimore, Myles Adams can step up, but chances are the DTs are probably going to be for the most part Poona/Mone/Woods and bring in Hyder/Collier/Green on passing downs.

If Nkemdiche, Taylor, DJ Reed and Witherspoon all step up, look out!

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Can I just say, Collier.

If he's going to be the star he's gonna do so now. Otherwise just look for a trade for the fifth year. Yeah I saw his injuries but STILL a lot of them were early in season. If he can't perform for us this year there really is no point in Solomon Thomasing him.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1cn9l10x said:
Can I just say, Collier.

If he's going to be the star he's gonna do so now. Otherwise just look for a trade for the fifth year. Yeah I saw his injuries but STILL a lot of them were early in season. If he can't perform for us this year there really is no point in Solomon Thomasing him.
The same could be said for Green, if both can breakout, out DL could be formidable.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Smellyman

Reaction score
massari":2r060jrz said:
Nkemdiche has been cut by his last two teams, and missed all of last season. It's nice to hope he and/or Palmore, Hewitt, Lattimore, Myles Adams can step up, but chances are the DTs are probably going to be for the most part Poona/Mone/Woods and bring in Hyder/Collier/Green on passing downs.

If Nkemdiche, Taylor, DJ Reed and Witherspoon all step up, look out!

It is amazing how long some players can live on hype

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I suppose the fact the Penny isn’t mentioned means most see him as a bust?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":3l4jbmmk said:

I don't think people really doubt his talent. His availability is the issue. He's talented otherwise and has shown as much in his limited game action.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":ucutlx56 said:
JayhawkMike":ucutlx56 said:

I don't think people really doubt his talent. His availability is the issue. He's talented otherwise and has shown as much in his limited game action.

All of his injuries could also took some speed and quickness away.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
toffee":3b78k1u0 said:
Maelstrom787":3b78k1u0 said:
JayhawkMike":3b78k1u0 said:

True, but I still don't think that equates to needing a breakout season. He doesn't really need one to prove his talent, like the other guys. He needs to establish a modicum of reliability, not on-field skill. That's why I'd assume no one was mentioning him.

Guys like Rasheem Green, Cody Barton, Tre Flowers - they're the ones who need to breakout. To prove they can hang talent-wise.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":9ycukdjj said:
toffee":9ycukdjj said:
Maelstrom787":9ycukdjj said:
JayhawkMike":9ycukdjj said:

True, but I still don't think that equates to needing a breakout season. He doesn't really need one to prove his talent, like the other guys. He needs to establish a modicum of reliability, not on-field skill. That's why I'd assume no one was mentioning him.

Guys like Rasheem Green, Cody Barton, Tre Flowers - they're the ones who need to breakout. To prove they can hang talent-wise.

I am not having lots of confidence that Green and Barton can breakout, Flowers is somewhat different, I still hope that he could.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":211mmmfx said:
JayhawkMike":211mmmfx said:

He needs to step on the field and then step up his play bigtime! Penny's on the last year of his rookie deal and so far he has missed 21 games while only contributing 6 TD's and about 3.1 yds per carry. He needs to step up and give the front office a reason to re-sign him or at least break out enough to catch the attention of another team.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
toffee":1n9upptr said:
Maelstrom787":1n9upptr said:
toffee":1n9upptr said:
Maelstrom787":1n9upptr said:

I am not having lots of confidence that Green and Barton can breakout, Flowers is somewhat different, I still hope that he could.

I was just going to comment on Penny when I opened this thread. The thing about Penny is, the guy can play. When he stays healthy. According the the thread title we are looking for guys who can “step up or break out”. I think Penny is in the step up category. Stepping up for him means staying healthy. He is a threat to take it to the house on almost any given down. I would love to see some sets with both Carson and Penny lined up. If Waldron can get the running game into shape the defenses would have a difficult time trying to defend both backs. Penny might just be weaker as an inside runner but his ability to bounce it outside and turn the corner is outstanding.

I also put Waldron as the OC into the step up category.

Rasheem Green I think has a chance to breakout. This is his third year and if I recall correctly, he was a fairly young and experiencewise a very green player in terms of playing time in college. He flashed very nicely at times last year.

Alton Robinson is another one that I think could be a step up player to breakout player. I think we are going to see last years draft class step up in some major ways.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jerhawk":29w6x5b7 said:
Darrell Taylor. He needs to step up

He just needs to be able to be available to "step on to the field" on game days. If he makes just one tackle and he already will have outperformed what he did last season.