King County investigating Sherman 911 call handling

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -911-call/

I take it Maple Valley has sheriff's service then. Florio's saying social media came down on Redmond themselves, angering them.

I'd say the union has a better chance of getting the dispatcher off based on the 911 tape. The dispatcher had an caller that was reportedly driving herself to where the emergency was while talking on the phone and then another jurisdiction needed to be advised and was in time to encounter Sherm.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I don't know everything about 911, or emergency calls in general - as I don't answer them -

But I did think that the call was a bit messed up - from the parts that I've heard -

The operator seemed *very* confrontational - with all the 'slow down so that I can understand you' stuff. I understood her just fine - and I don't answer 911 crisis calls for a living! And don't they have addresses/GPS for phones? - just roll a car and figure it out on the fly?

Now who knows - perhaps the phone number was 'known' to them, or they've had 100 calls from the same address or phone number or something - I guess you never really know the history - but it seemed wrong to me.

hawker84

Reaction score
That is not how you talk to a person in a crisis. She needs to be severely repremanded and re-calibrated or fired. Another good suggestion was to rotate 911 operators to avoid burnout..

ZagHawk

Reaction score
When I listened to the call, from my perspective I was feeling a lot of prejudice from the 911 operator side. When Mrs. Sherman is talking about shutting off the gate and black Mercedes, based off the operator responses and tone I was just getting the feeling she was thinking "pshh yeah right like you own a black mercedes or have a powered gate at your home". I understand the operators need to be straight forward and get facts from frantic people on the phone, but there was also pure attitude being fired at a woman in distress, like straight up "Karen" style attitude. I'm actually someone who generally frowns when people pull the race card every chance they get, but this was the feeling I was getting from this phone call. All the above being said, had this not been such a public call, I bet no one would give 2 craps about it and this could very well be how 911 operators respond to domestic calls in the area which is sad.

massari

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1n1kn9zl said:
When I listened to the call, from my perspective I was feeling a lot of prejudice from the 911 operator side. When Mrs. Sherman is talking about shutting off the gate and black Mercedes, based off the operator responses and tone I was just getting the feeling she was thinking "pshh yeah right like you own a black mercedes or have a powered gate at your home".
Your own personal views projecting onto others isn't reality. It's delusional.

Giphy

balakoth

Reaction score
massari":323syrer said:
ZagHawk":323syrer said:
When I listened to the call, from my perspective I was feeling a lot of prejudice from the 911 operator side. When Mrs. Sherman is talking about shutting off the gate and black Mercedes, based off the operator responses and tone I was just getting the feeling she was thinking "pshh yeah right like you own a black mercedes or have a powered gate at your home".
Your own personal views projecting onto others isn't reality. It's delusional.

Giphy

Take your own advice

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Well before this thread spirals out of control, I'll put in my opinion.

I talk to people on the phone for a large credit union in their collections department. It's high stress.

That being said, I would never, ever speak to a borrower the way that 911 operator spoke to Sherman's wife. She was rude, disrespectful and unprofessional. If you can't talk to someone like a human being and attempt to calm the caller down, it's time to find a different line of work. That 911 operator should be ashamed, and she's probably been doing it for awhile and this is the 1st high profile call that she's done where the public can hear her attitude. Its unnacceptablle and if I spoke to someone like that I would be out of a job.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
What did 911 do wrong? I haven't heard the tape yet but
the video of Sherm making the rounds on facebook is pretty frightening.

Throwdown

Reaction score
There’s nothing to investigate, the 911 operator was horrible and combative.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":wc96m58x said:
What did 911 do wrong? I haven't heard the tape yet but
the video of Sherm making the rounds on facebook is pretty frightening.

She was rude and belligerent.

There's a link to it on page 2 of the Sherman arrested thread