I’d still like a better backup RB

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Love Carson. Like Collins. Ready to move on from Dallas and Homer and wished we would never have wasted a pick on Penny.

[tweet] https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/stat ... 16928?s=20[/tweet]

Some decent players there.

Not sure why the tweet doesn’t work but here is the list of available RBs.

Among the veteran RBs available on the free agent market: Todd Gurley, Le’Veon Bell, Duke Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Devonta Freeman, LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, Dion Lewis, Chris Thompson, TJ Yeldon, Deandre Washington

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Freeman could potentially eat in the new offense. I'm sure they're keeping a few of these guys in mind. Collins and Penny seem like a good enough tandem for RB2, with Homer checking in for a kinda third down role. Penny is a spark plug when he's (rarely) available and Collins has some talent.

Dallas emerging would be nice. It'll be interesting to see if they go for a Duke Johnson type, someone with a unique third down skillset.

If Carson goes down, I'd want to see someone else signed. Collins isn't someone I'd want to receive the lions share of carries for any extended period, especially in a more balanced offense that builds off of the running game.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2dcmxty0 said:
Love Carson. Like Collins. Ready to move on from Dallas and Homer and wished we would never have wasted a pick on Penny.

[tweet] https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/stat ... 16928?s=20[/tweet]

Some decent players there.

Not sure why the tweet doesn’t work but here is the list of available RBs.

Among the veteran RBs available on the free agent market: Todd Gurley, Le’Veon Bell, Duke Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Devonta Freeman, LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore, Dion Lewis, Chris Thompson, TJ Yeldon, Deandre Washington

While I love Gurley I don't believe we can afford another back that's going to have availability issues. Bell is coming off the knee so it would be risky to tie up cap on him as well. Frank Johnson has got to be 50 years old? As much as I am ready to move on from Penny none of these names screams potential.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm extremely happy with Collins as the back up. He'll start some games when Carson gets hurt. RB depth isnt something i'm concerned about.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Some guys are just athletic freaks. I know you don't want to hear it, but A. Peterson would earn every dollar that was thrown at him.

I have said it a billion times and I will say it a billion more...You draft an enormous and fast running back in the 1st round, outside of that you have like a 10% chance of a dominating RB.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The team has to count on RB rotation to keep Carson healthy. With a longer season, the time might just want to keep his carries to a minimum during the first 8 weeks.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This is a common take when you can see the flaws in your own players but overrate big names past their prime from other teams because you knew about them when they were still good.

Dallas was a rookie last year during the covid season with a different OC and run game coordinator. The Hawks have three more years of a very team friendly deal for him and the wisdom to show patience.

Penny's problem has always been availability and he doesn't take up a roster spot if he goes to the IR list. His leash will be shorter than ever, and if he can't be available then they will IR or release him with an injury settlement. Many of the aging RBs on the list will still be available then if we need them.

If Carson goes down early then it would make the most sense to trade a late round pick for a backup with actual upside like Kenneth Gainwell.

chris98251

Reaction score
Gore, Gurley, Peterson, could all end up being McCutcheon, Bryant, Harris, types now, great players in their days but not what they were.

Own The West

Reaction score
I'm sure who of those free agents could beat out Collins, let alone Carson. So why waste money?

And why are people trashing DJ Dallas? He had a redshirt year with less than 50 touches. We have no idea what kind of player he is.

balakoth

Reaction score
Own The West":um4ii31j said:
I'm sure who of those free agents could beat out Collins, let alone Carson. So why waste money?

And why are people trashing DJ Dallas? He had a redshirt year with less than 50 touches. We have no idea what kind of player he is.

Ask the same people who seem to think that Travis Homer is a keeper

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I feel like I usually do when the Seahawks make their first pick in the draft.

“Who???”

Could be good. Could be bad. Should be fresh. No idea about him or his game.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":mx4p4wg6 said:
I feel like I usually do when the Seahawks make their first pick in the draft.

“Who???”

Could be good. Could be bad. Should be fresh. No idea about him or his game.

All I could think of was this...

Bb3ce91488ae0f8dac0cca7e97826ea01f79cba2

chris98251

Reaction score
Miss Scarlet in the Conservatory with a Knife.

Scarlett Johansson

The Scarlet Pimpernel

Scarlett O'Hara

But not Captain Scarlet, add that to the list.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I am glad they added somebody. The list is bigger names but we have had plenty of well performing unknown players including a great 7th round pick. The list has injury and salary cap issues on it but I would love to see old man Gore in a Seahawks uni.

BTW that is one of the best draft strategies. Always grab an Oklahoma State RB if you need one. I remember watching Barry sanders and Thurman Thomas as team mates on OSU

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":13nx3bey said:
I am glad they added somebody. The list is bigger names but we have had plenty of well performing unknown players including a great 7th round pick. The list has injury and salary cap issues on it but I would love to see old man Gore in a Seahawks uni.

BTW that is one of the best draft strategies. Always grab an Oklahoma State RB if you need one. I remember watching Barry sanders and Thurman Thomas as team mates on OSU

I was hoping we could somehow get Chuba Hubbard last draft. On top of him being from my hometown & a Canadian, I have a feeling he's gonna be a good one.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
balakoth":19zqptdi said:
Own The West":19zqptdi said:

Keep the same energy when Russ gets pelted thanks to a failed blitz pickup by the third down back. Homer is one of the best pass blocking backs in the league.

Tons of hand wringing over the OL here, but seemingly no one actually cares about... well, blocking. Just scapegoating.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Of all the position groups where you can quickly go out and find a decent veteran off the free agent wire, it's RB's.

So as of now I'm comfortable going into the season with Carson/Penny/Homer/Dallas.

No need to go spend 2-3M on a vet who if everyone else is healthy is only going to see a series or two a game. Someone gets hurt? That's another discussion.............but as of now, we're good.

OP
OP
J

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2j8g30wv said:
balakoth":2j8g30wv said:
Own The West":2j8g30wv said:

Keep the same energy when Russ gets pelted thanks to a failed blitz pickup by the third down back. Homer is one of the best pass blocking backs in the league.

Tons of hand wringing over the OL here, but seemingly no one actually cares about... well, blocking. Just scapegoating.

Homer played 138 offensive snaps last year and ran a total of 25 times for a total of 88 yards (3.5 ypr)We also threw to him 10 times for 9 receptions and 90 yards (one of those being for 50 yards so 8 of those were for 40 yards a 5 ypc average) When Homer comes into the game everybody knows that it is going to be a pass. So his utility as a blocker is offset by the easy tipping off of the play call.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":2fy1zswv said:
Maelstrom787":2fy1zswv said:
balakoth":2fy1zswv said:
Own The West":2fy1zswv said:

Homer played 138 offensive snaps last year and ran a total of 25 times for a total of 88 yards (3.5 ypr)We also threw to him 10 times for 9 receptions and 90 yards (one of those being for 50 yards so 8 of those were for 40 yards a 5 ypc average) When Homer comes into the game everybody knows that it is going to be a pass. So his utility as a blocker is offset by the easy tipping off of the play call.

His presence on the field likely doesn't tip the playcall any more than the situational aspects of the drive do.