Eskridge Starts Camp on PUP

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Since a team can reactivate a player at anytime during the off season is there any point on putting someone on PUP? Is there any tangible benefit?

It doesn't free up a roster spot and it limits a players ability to practice, why even bother?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If the player goes on PUP they can be reactivated anytime.

If they go on PUP the opportunity to keep the player on the roster on PUP after final cuts remains with the team but if the player practices they need to be waived, released, or placed on IR. If on !R they would be only able to be activated after 3 games.. There is an advantage to the team but it isn't immediate and accrues only after final cuts.

All in all though it is a bit disappointing that Eskridge will start TC on PUP. I have read here on other threads that Eskridge has a toe injury that may have happened at an early OTA, being unable to practice is not going to help him ease onto the roster and potentially become the #3 WR quickly.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Eskridge will have a spot on the 53 man roster. His being out opens the competition for playing time. Guys like Swain, Hart, Thompson, Ursua, Johnson, etc can gain some valuable reps. If they take advantage of him not being able to practice and play while on PUP.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2uzl06sn said:
Oh no... Pittpnthrs is going to be all over this...

Khaaan!

Nah, but its definitely going to cut into your preseason prediction numbers for him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pete is always super cautious with injuries. He plays the long game, making sure his players heal so that he can get the most out of them. As opposed to telling them to "Suck it up" then they miss most of a season because they aggravated the injury.

However, them signing that WR from AZ makes me think they are worried Eskeridge might be out for a while.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I’d love to see a list of rookie games missed due to injury per team. I bet We would beat every other teams be a wide margin. And many are known injury risk. Darrell Taylor ....

ivotuk

Reaction score
From what I took from Pete's presser, it sounded like Eskeridge just needs to get in to shape now. His toe injury wouldn't let him work out over the summer. Pete said he's running.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1lihh8f0 said:
Since a team can reactivate a player at anytime during the off season is there any point on putting someone on PUP? Is there any tangible benefit?

It doesn't free up a roster spot and it limits a players ability to practice, why even bother?

It preserves the option of the team putting the player on PUP to start the regular season. The only way to have regular season PUP eligibility is to start camp on PUP as well.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Toe injuries are very painful and disabling, preventing the player from running fast, cutting, and leaping they can be completely disabling. They can steal a season away if not properly looked after. They have wrecked careers.

This won’t help Eskridge to be ready and may render him less effective this season and could linger. I hope the team has this actively under remediation. Conceptually this player was an interesting addition let’s hope it wasn’t a wasted pick.

Sure wasn’t the player I’d have drafted with the OLine needs. By 56 though every player has ‘issues’ which make the picks difficult.

massari

Reaction score
So now there's no timetable on his return. If it's a repeat of the Phillip Dorsett/Taylor situations last season, the Hawks have a 2nd round 25 year old rookie for the 2022 season :shock:

Jville

Reaction score
ivotuk":kmveyxdk said:
From what I took from Pete's presser, it sounded like Eskeridge just needs to get in to shape now. His toe injury wouldn't let him work out over the summer. Pete said he's running.

That was noted in Pete's August 4th presser. Eskeridge and the equipment guys think they figured it out with a change in shoes. So now he has to confirm the solution and build conditioning.