Seahawks training camp observations thread

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Here's a link from Seahawks.com for their 6 observations during day 2 of Seahawks training camp.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/6-observations-from-day-2-of-2021-seahawks-training-camp

Any of you going to training camp this year? Looked like a large crowd at the VMAC.

What are you guys focusing on the most in training camp?

I think the spotlight on Witherspoon breaking up a pass is promising.

Here's some videos of training camp so far:

[youtube]E4f-R0Q98zY[/youtube]

[youtube]7TwdYmcEsBk[/youtube]

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
You really have to scratch and claw to dig up anything meaningful from what the media is allowed to share during TC. See what you can see during basic drills and that's about the extent of it. Go in person and you get to see a lot more. Where are the comments from those who have gone?

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":29osckei said:
You really have to scratch and claw to dig up anything meaningful from what the media is allowed to share during TC. See what you can see during basic drills and that's about the extent of it. Go in person and you get to see a lot more. Where are the comments from those who have gone?

Right? It seems quiet so far this year. I remember more people who went and commented in the past.

I used to go to training camp when it was out here in Cheney. Good times

massari

Reaction score
This is posted by someone on http://seahawksdraftblog.com/pre-traini ... ay-1pm-pst

Thought is was a good read:
Some observations from the first day of camp (keep in mind this is the first day, no pads and guys are full of energy)

-It’s not hard to see why Aldon Smith keeps getting chances. Even standing with world-class athletes he stands out. Freaky size and length. Fingertips down to his knees practically. Smith had a play with fantastic burst and disrupted Etling.

-It looks like the Seahawks are trying some kind of LEO/EDGE hybrid with Smith and Taylor. Two point stance and partially setting the edge, partially rushing. The big difference from my eyes is the player didn’t follow the offense to the strong side, just stayed on the right side of the defense and played his role depending on what was lined up on his side. That’s not something to carve in stone, just what I saw out of the very first scrimmage.

-Taylor was 240ish in rookie camp and said he wanted to get up to 260’s for training camp. I could be wrong but he doesn’t look 260’s.

-Reed and Penny took punts – Penny stayed after practice to take some punts.

-DJ Dallas showed nice bursts.

-Marquise Blair looks fantastic. From my untrained eye no limitations on movement or change of direction. Got work in at strong safety – something about the starter not participating in practice (cough).

-The DB group are like Russian nesting dolls. From gangly trees like Flowers and Witherspoon at 6’3″-6’4″ down to squat powerfuls Diggs, Reed and Brown at 5’9″-5’10” range. Reed can jump out of the gym. They did a ‘run to a spot and high point the ball’ drill and he went up and got ball I thought ‘no way’ when it came out of the coach’s hand.

-Jordyn Brooks looks great. Fast, rangy, a hunter-killer type. Cody Barton and BBK look like Cody Barton and BBK.

-Speaking of those guys, Cody and BBK played WILL/MIKE in scrimmage. No use of Barton at a SAM type backer that I saw.

-Carson got around the edge and up the sideline and Mone took off running after him 10+ yards downfield. 360lbs moving! PC raced over to give Mone an attaboy for the effort.

-Kerry Hyder looks ridiculous wearing #51. Just saying.

-Gerald Everett doesn’t look like a TE but a big WR. The QBs found him a couple times in scrimmage.

-Dickson on the side field practicing with Ott and Myers. Routinely popping 60 yards with ease.

-Colby Parkinson looks ripped. On one play though he blew a block. A first-year Jimmy Graham “oh this guy right in front of me, I’m supposed to block him?” gem.

Atmosphere:

-Bald eagles flying overhead and Lake Washington in the background. Spectacular.

-Crowd definitely not as pumped as usual. I think pandemic fatigue is real.

-Shocked – spotted nearly as many DK jerseys in the crowd as RW jerseys. First time in ages RW hasn’t been the clear #1 fan jersey.

-Seahawks/VMAC have a top notch setup for fans. A bus system that works like clockwork, mister fans set up to cool off, water and sunscreen dispensers that are touchless, Starbucks tents with ice tea and coffee with a ‘suggested donation’ of $2, interns handing out schedule magnets and popsicles, Blue Thunder kicking up the music, etc. Great experience.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":1xht4cnc said:
Here's a link from Seahawks.com for their 6 observations during day 2 of Seahawks training camp.

https://www.seahawks.com/news/6-observations-from-day-2-of-2021-seahawks-training-camp

Any of you going to training camp this year? Looked like a large crowd at the VMAC.

What are you guys focusing on the most in training camp?

I think the spotlight on Witherspoon breaking up a pass is promising.

Here's some videos of training camp so far:

[youtube]E4f-R0Q98zY[/youtube]

[youtube]7TwdYmcEsBk[/youtube]

Good stuff Jerhawk, APPPPPRICCIATED !!!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
massari":3onlgldo said:
This is posted by someone on http://seahawksdraftblog.com/pre-traini ... ay-1pm-pst

Thought is was a good read:
Some observations from the first day of camp (keep in mind this is the first day, no pads and guys are full of energy)

-It’s not hard to see why Aldon Smith keeps getting chances. Even standing with world-class athletes he stands out. Freaky size and length. Fingertips down to his knees practically. Smith had a play with fantastic burst and disrupted Etling.

-It looks like the Seahawks are trying some kind of LEO/EDGE hybrid with Smith and Taylor. Two point stance and partially setting the edge, partially rushing. The big difference from my eyes is the player didn’t follow the offense to the strong side, just stayed on the right side of the defense and played his role depending on what was lined up on his side. That’s not something to carve in stone, just what I saw out of the very first scrimmage.

-Taylor was 240ish in rookie camp and said he wanted to get up to 260’s for training camp. I could be wrong but he doesn’t look 260’s.

-Reed and Penny took punts – Penny stayed after practice to take some punts.

-DJ Dallas showed nice bursts.

-Marquise Blair looks fantastic. From my untrained eye no limitations on movement or change of direction. Got work in at strong safety – something about the starter not participating in practice (cough).

-The DB group are like Russian nesting dolls. From gangly trees like Flowers and Witherspoon at 6’3″-6’4″ down to squat powerfuls Diggs, Reed and Brown at 5’9″-5’10” range. Reed can jump out of the gym. They did a ‘run to a spot and high point the ball’ drill and he went up and got ball I thought ‘no way’ when it came out of the coach’s hand.

-Jordyn Brooks looks great. Fast, rangy, a hunter-killer type. Cody Barton and BBK look like Cody Barton and BBK.

-Speaking of those guys, Cody and BBK played WILL/MIKE in scrimmage. No use of Barton at a SAM type backer that I saw.

-Carson got around the edge and up the sideline and Mone took off running after him 10+ yards downfield. 360lbs moving! PC raced over to give Mone an attaboy for the effort.

-Kerry Hyder looks ridiculous wearing #51. Just saying.

-Gerald Everett doesn’t look like a TE but a big WR. The QBs found him a couple times in scrimmage.

-Dickson on the side field practicing with Ott and Myers. Routinely popping 60 yards with ease.

-Colby Parkinson looks ripped. On one play though he blew a block. A first-year Jimmy Graham “oh this guy right in front of me, I’m supposed to block him?” gem.

Atmosphere:

-Bald eagles flying overhead and Lake Washington in the background. Spectacular.

-Crowd definitely not as pumped as usual. I think pandemic fatigue is real.

-Shocked – spotted nearly as many DK jerseys in the crowd as RW jerseys. First time in ages RW hasn’t been the clear #1 fan jersey.

-Seahawks/VMAC have a top notch setup for fans. A bus system that works like clockwork, mister fans set up to cool off, water and sunscreen dispensers that are touchless, Starbucks tents with ice tea and coffee with a ‘suggested donation’ of $2, interns handing out schedule magnets and popsicles, Blue Thunder kicking up the music, etc. Great experience.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
From what I've picked up day 2 was more revealing than day 1. I expect that to become a trend. For one thing Russ was more human than superstar and our DBs were making plays. Super excited to hear Blaire is looking sound. That guy has the "it" factor.
Tribune offered some solid reads this morning.

John63

Reaction score
Appyhawk":2xyhb0l3 said:
From what I've picked up day 2 was more revealing than day 1. I expect that to become a trend. For one thing Russ was more human than superstar and our DBs were making plays. Super excited to hear Blaire is looking sound. That guy has the "it" factor.
Tribune offered some solid reads this morning.

from what I read and taking to a few friends that went all the Qbs struggled some at the beginning but settled down toward the middle and end. I agree I would expect this new offense and all.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Here's a video from today's Training Camp July 31, 2021. Jamal Adams is back.

[youtube]MlW7I9sVzvs[/youtube]

Appyhawk

Reaction score
I noted they're already doing some 11 on 11 stuff. We should be able to glean a little bit from seeing that. New nuances offense etc. It makes sense our D should be ahead of the O at this stage, although with all the new guys things kind of even out. Sure am anxious to see how our CB competition washes out.
Enjoyed listening to Woods. He sounds genuinely enthusiastic about the team.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This video from the Seahawks focuses on the running back competition at camp.

While the video focuses on Carson, Penny and Collins, we can't forget about the other backs competing for a roster spot as well in camp. Dallas, Homer, Josh Johnson and Scarlett Cameron.

Will they keep 4 backs on the roster at the start of the season?

Also worth noting Penny's lost weight, he's down to 223. We've seen him as kick returner as a rookie, which was a disaster. It sounds like they're trying him out returning punts. With less bulk, hopefully he's been able to recover from his ACL injury like he says and has more burst.

[youtube]bQ0WYKxaA6Y[/youtube]

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Had another round of tire trouble yesterday and didn't get home in time to watch more than just a little of practice. They just aren't letting us see anything meaningful. Interviews are all right but everything is so guarded it's like reading a greeting card. I wonder if we'll get to see the scrimmage, uncut, in a week from now? I think they banned media from them last year, didn't they?

chris98251

Reaction score
I don't think we will see a lot on offense, the disguise of multiple formations plays out of same personnel is a lot of what is key, they want to get it right and not tip stuff while the players figure it all out.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...e-waldron-puts-premium-on-tempo-conditioning/

Today was the first practice in full pads.
The provided article from the Seattle Times focuses on the new and improved offense.
Specifically, Waldron's approach to faster pace, higher tempo, and an emphasis on a quick passing game. He wants the players to be conditioned.

This article is like music to our ears.
But how will it play out this season? Very exciting developments out of Renton

toffee

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3i0ik32k said:
Had another round of tire trouble yesterday and didn't get home in time to watch more than just a little of practice. They just aren't letting us see anything meaningful. Interviews are all right but everything is so guarded it's like reading a greeting card. I wonder if we'll get to see the scrimmage, uncut, in a week from now? I think they banned media from them last year, didn't they?
When Penny reported to his rookie camp overweighted, was he like 245 or 250?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Good question Toffee. I searched all through 2018 training camp notes and I can't find Penny's weight for some reason.
But I do remember him being on the heavier side.

Here's Ken Norton Jrs press conference today.
By the end of the video I was jacked and thinking we have the best defense in the league.
He had nothing but positive things to say about everyone.
Is he the master of lip service and that's how he got this job? Or is he going to have this defense playing at a much higher level this season?

Our issues last year with Norton's defense somewhat got solved as the season went on. He finally started using press coverage, started to utilize more d line stunts and got a bit more creative with Adams. I still don't think we used Adams to the best of his abilities last season, despite setting the sack record.

[youtube]kdN3xpf-wiM[/youtube]

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
https://www.seahawks.com/news/5-observations-from-day-5-of-2021-seahawks-training-camp

5 observations from training camp today.
As previously mentioned, first day in pads.

Kerry Hyder Jr got some of the spotlight today. He appears slippery. That would be a huge free agent signing for us if he can fill that Michael Bennett type role as an inside rusher.

Anyone planning on going to the "mock game?"
Or the scrimmage as they used to call it back in the day?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Now we're getting down to more nitty gritty football stuff with the pads coming out. Seems like the best vids are coming from Jackie's segs, at least from what I've seen.
I'm really excited about this year's Seahawk team. Wary of injuries spoiling everything though. Pete's competition factor makes this time of PC the most exciting of TC. Fun stuff.
DBs...I'm still confident we'll field a competent defensive backfield, but sticking with my idea that Adams needs to be in a position created just for him. Blaire would be a better designated safety IMO, based on his ability to cover. Adams is a free-wheeler nose for the ball type, but hasn't shown much in the way of coverage ability.