Do you want the Seahawks to resign Jamal Adams? (Poll)

Do you want the Seahawks to resign Jamal Adams?

• Yes, of course. What a dumb question dude

Votes: 78 70.3%
  • Yes, but only because we gave up so much to get him here

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I guess so. I don't care man.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Heck no. Let him walk. He can't cover and doesn't fit our scheme

Votes: 9 8.1%

• Total voters

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Simple question. Do you want the Seahawks to resign Jamal Adams?

He wants to get paid. Should we pay the man?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jamal Adams has shown elite coverage skills in his career. He had an uncharacteristically bad year in that regard, but so did the entire defense.

So, what does he go and do when the coaches change up the defense?

He breaks the single season sack record from his spot without even playing all of the games, and having multiple serious injuries when he did play.

There are some red flags, but his outrageous talent is beyond contestation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think we have a choice.

- gave up two first rounders
- Adams accounted for 1/4th of our team sacks last year
- defensive leader with Bobby

All this spells pay the man, even though it's a huge risk with Adam's recent surgeries. Because the alternative is the defense is already mediocre, take him off of it, and it's downright bad.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Agreed Maelstrom. He is a great talent.
Below is a video that does shed some light on his coverage woes last season.
Some of this is on poor coaching and putting him in bad spots. Some is a lack of discipline and over aggressiveness.

I hope that the coaches and utilize his strengths better this season.

[youtube]bVyKWGynP_Y[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
People seem to forget he was playing with two messed up shoulders and broken fingers on both hands, but discount that he was out there in the NFL with no arms still making tackles............. He could not raise his arms above his head without some severe pain. That could be a issue in coverage.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3h1n10wx said:
Simple question. Do you want the Seahawks to resign Jamal Adams?

He wants to get paid. Should we pay the man?

I voted 'yes because we already spent so much' -

Again, I'm not a super-duper X&O's guy. I've said that a bunch of times on here.

What I DON'T like is prima donnas. I ran a company full of them for 20 years. None of them have worked out with the Hawks, and I don't like this dammed if you do, dammned if you don't situation with players like him. My knee jerk with stuff like this is: "Fire him. Twice. Put his head on a pike at the front door as a warning for other idiots."

Didn't like it in Branch. Didn't like it in Graham. Didn't like it in Harvin. I don't like it. If you're thinking you're bigger than the team, IMHO, you need to go.

The Problem: 2 minutes before the season starts isn't the time to make the adjustment. This should have been taken care of much earlier in the offseason, and then you're not scrambing around trying to fill the 2 spots he 'covers'.

Didn't like the Kam holdout. Didn't like the Lynch reaction. Don't like DK with the camera in the stands. Don't like any of it.

Yes, I'm a grumpy old man now. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":17nmo1pj said:
People seem to forget he was playing with two messed up shoulders and broken fingers on both hands, but discount that he was out there in the NFL with no arms still making tackles............. He could not raise his arms above his head without some severe pain. That could be a issue in coverage.

We all know this, it's the #1 reason for hesitancy for giving Adams 50M+ guaranteed.

No one doubts his talent and value to the defense, it's the injuries that's swaying most people in regards to a monster extension.

But again, IMO that ship sailed the moment Pete and John pulled the trigger on the trade. They knew the risk, and they knew this day would come where he'd want to get paid, and get paid well.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
We don't really have a choice given what we gave up to get him.

Loved his pass rush skills last year but he had some awful moments in coverage which for being the highest paid safety is slightly worrying. Hoping that was just down to injuries.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":3371qmfv said:
We don't really have a choice given what we gave up to get him.

Loved his pass rush skills last year but he had some awful moments in coverage which for being the highest paid safety is slightly worrying. Hoping that was just down to injuries.

Whole team was awful at it. Was more communication and coaching than anything.

A-Dog

Reaction score
There were no significant concerns about his coverage ability before last season. His PFF coverage rating was outstanding the year before. All of a sudden after outlier of a season (see below) people think he's a coverage liability. He's not. Look at his overall body of work.

He came in to a new system late in the offseason, DURING A PANDEMIC, had to learn on the fly, was part of an overall dysfunctional defense and cover scheme, was relied on to create pressure and make plays because our d-line was not able to do it and our defense was trending towards being perhaps the worst in NFL history, had several significant injuries that he played through (which could have potentially hurt his long-term earnings potential), making him less effective.

He's not holding out. Regardless of whatever happened between he and the dysfunctional Jets regime he was in, he hasn't been a prima donna here. There hasn't been one word from coaches, management, or players that would indicate he's been a negative or disruptive presence. In fact it's been quite the opposite if you listen to Pete rave about his character, energy, desire, leadership, competitiveness, and commitment.

flv

Reaction score
$13M player with a $19M price tag.
The picks are already gone.

massari

Reaction score
Any way they can flip him for Xavien Howard AND Chandler Jones? :179422: :0190l:

Super Bowl winning moves right there.

knownone

Reaction score
What's his trade value? If you can get a similar value than you gave up to get him, then I'm open to moving on from him. But, worst-case scenario, he gets a ludicrous contract, and we have to let Bobby walk next offseason. Not ideal, but the front office put themselves in this situation.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
flv":3dajp94f said:
$13M player with a $19M price tag.
The picks are already gone.

What a horrible assessment. He is no kam or earl, but he is between both of them with a lil of each players style. Just lacks the hands earl did. No where near as bad of coverage as everyone says. I'm real tired of guys who complain about the picks or money we spent on him. It's old and Bradley Mcdougald was a good fill in, but not a game changer. Get over it. Adam's is a hawk!!!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2j59eyvo said:
Jamal Adams has shown elite coverage skills in his career. He had an uncharacteristically bad year in that regard, but so did the entire defense.

He breaks the single season sack record from his spot without even playing all of the games, and having multiple serious injuries when he did play.

Maelstrom and I wouldn’t agree on the time of day but we agree on this.

OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":10hopixn said:
Maelstrom787":10hopixn said:

Maelstrom and I wouldn’t agree on the time of day but we agree on this.

Lol.
Well, if it means anything, you are both highly intelligent posters with a passion for the Seahawks and I respect the heck out of both of your opinions. If we all agreed on everything this would be a boring place

ducks41468

Reaction score
I say no, but all signs point to him being re-signed so it doesn't matter.

If he had an uncharacteristically bad year due to a ton of injuries, this now raises the concern that he's injury prone. If he had an uncharacteristically bad year due to our scheme, well, we're bringing back the same DC and scheme, so I don't see how that will suddenly improve. He's going to command a ton of money that could be used on other areas of need and he has a massive ego. Sometimes that works in the team's favor, but in contract negotiations it doesn't.

Personally, I'd rather let him go and deal with a bad defense for a year or two (and let's face it, with our coaching and roster the defense isn't that good to begin with) and give us the flexibility to add better players in the long term.

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Absolute travesty if he's not resigned given what we coughed up.

Here's to a few more years of cigar smoking during press conferences.....