Knowing what you know about our defense...

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
...if the Seahawks D does crack top-15 or better this year, to what or whom would you most likely attribute, projecting the end of the season before training camp is even over?

I've read complaints about our multitude failures on defense last season and that we shouldn't be much improved:
-- in coaching (Carrol, KNJ),
-- drafting (also coaching)
-- our scheme (also coaching)
-- our weak D-Line (players who never developed and who should be let go like Green and Collier)
-- unknowns at DB and history of poor play (like Flowers, and Adams in coverage)
-- and even Wagner losing a step with young guys like Barton, BBK, and Brooks (that's a lot of "B"s) not stepping up.
-- I'm sure there are others someone has added or thought that I've missed here...

So, should they make top-15 or better, what or whom do you predict we will be realistically crediting come February?

And "weak schedule" is a cop-out answer. :2thumbs:

Chawker

Reaction score
Ad:

Yes, I do believe our defense will finish the season ranked in the top 15, I'm thinking 12th to 8th range. We'll have a powerful pass rush, I just hope we don't get burned by to many draw plays. Strength in the middle will be challenged. I hate to say this but, Bobby Wagner is training his replacement now. I believe it will be a battle between BBK, Rhattegan or my pick Nate Evans.

Our defensive secondary will be just fine by week 4. The only unforseen problems would be injurys. I need to adjust my forecasted record for the season.

Seahawks 12-5

Cheers

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If it were to happen, I would attribute it to the pass rush that should have been addressed before last season instead of giving the world away for a safety instead. Thank the lord for the Dunlap signing.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If this D finishes top 15, Carroll deserves all of the credit.

His defenses usually get better later in the season, and that's a direct correlation to coaching

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Credit for top 15?

There are 32 teams.

Top 12 is an accomplishment.

Top 15 would be a little above average.

Which would make sense because the whole running the ball to protect the defense thing is predicated on limiting opposing touches to limit scoring.

Now if we were rolling with a high powered offense that was high scoring AND fielding a little bit above average defense? That would be an accomplishment.

Though it depends on what types of teams we faced and what kind of #s we held them to vs their average.

Last year the defense looked better near the end, but a lot of that was the string of barely starter QBs and 2nd string QBs we faced then.

So context still matters on this one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Health.

It means our mostly veteran D-line stayed healthy and productive, unlike last year where we lost Bruce early and other guys got dinged up and the defense suffered greatly.

sdog1981

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":k7mzgzpn said:
Last year the defense looked better near the end, but a lot of that was the string of barely starter QBs and 2nd string QBs we faced then.

They closed the season 6-1 of those 6 wins only QB's they beat that are still not staters are Dwyane Haskins and CJ Bethard. The one loss was to Colt McCoy.

The defense was wildly inconsistent. Even during the loss to Buffalo the D got 7 sacks and put good pressure on the QB and still gave up 44 points.

Jville

Reaction score
sdog1981":13ssmexe said:
TwistedHusky":13ssmexe said:

They closed the season 6-1 of those 6 wins only QB's they beat that are still not staters are Dwyane Haskins and CJ Bethard. The one loss was to Colt McCoy.

The defense was wildly inconsistent. Even during the loss to Buffalo the D got 7 sacks and put good pressure on the QB and still gave up 44 points.

Seahawks offense turned the ball over 4 times. Two fumble turn overs and two turnovers via interceptions. Buffalo committed no turn overs. It was like giving the Bills offense 4 extra possessions. I think it a reflection of why Pete Carroll pays so much attention to turn over ratios.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I didn't put my own opinion in the OP, but here it is. If we're top 15 or better, we'll be doing a couple things consistently:
1. Stopping the run. That means our interior D-Line and LBers, along with Adams and Blair, are hitting the box hard.
2. Getting some pressure on the QB. High sack totals are a great statistic to have, but don't always tell the whole story. If there are several edge or interior guys getting QBs off their rhythm, that should be enough. I'll take a lot of sacks, too, though. My guess is that Green, Dunlap, Hyder, Collier, and Taylor will all contribute; A. Smith would be a bonus.
3. I think our DBs generally will be average in coverage, but I still worry about our coverage of TEs. Still, average DBs should be enough.
4. We'll need to give credit to PC to some degree for getting back to what made the team strong a decade ago (can't believe it's been that long), and maybe KNJr. will deserve some of it, too; we'll see what schemes work, especially on the D-Line getting pressure. Hopefully no prevent-D, 3-rush on 3rd and 22. Ever. Please!!!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I like the depth the team now has at DE and that should help the DBs significantly as the pass rush will be improved over last season.

The young talent at OLB will be assessed and should actually be fine if they can keep Aldon Smith and he isn’t suspended.

This D could be a good bit better than 15th if the pieces come together and they stay healthy.

Smellyman

Reaction score
It is a monumental failure if the D isn't in the top 15

Fade

Reaction score
It is premature to make any proclamations at this juncture in terms of rankings.

The NFL is a volatile league anyway, where things can turn on a dime.

Take last season. The worst defense in NFL History the 1st half of the season, and then the defense had a favorable schedule, added Carlos Dunlap, and inserted DJ Reed into the lineup. Ranking top 10 the second half.

There is a lot to like going into this season. They have a plethora of pass rushers, getting younger and faster at LBer, and the Secondary will be the best it's been in years, contingent on the #2 CB playing at an average level.

Norton is still in over his head and is consistently outmatched by the opposing OC. Good news on that front, as it appears Waldron is fully taking over the offense, Pete is going to be allocating much more of his time on defense.
My expectation is the defense will improve and be better than last season, and I'm curious to see the new scheme changes for myself that have been reported on in training camp.

LTH

Reaction score
There is good competition in camp at almost every position. I make no predictions till I see the D play. I dont buy into this problem with Norton thing, I think he will turn out to be ok as everyone is competing and learning.

I think the expectation is high this team should make a SB run...

LTH