Cam Newton vs Geno Smith, who would you pick for a backup QB

Spohawks

Reaction score
New England wavied thier last years starter. He can run okay and I feel like he is more accurate...but who isn't. I would prefer Cam.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Geno.
Cam would be a distraction.
Geno has an off-season with this offense under his belt. Cam would have to start from scratch

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
No thanks to Scam Newton. Would rather have a package of Fig Newton’s than this guy on the team.

sutz

Reaction score
Geno. No way I want the Cam distraction on the team.

seabowl

Reaction score
I truly get the dislike for Newton . With this said you are all saying Geno now but with Covid positives on the rise, if forbid Russ goes into quarantine then I'd rather have the MUCH better qb in Cam then Geno. Sorry but Cam being better than Geno is fact.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I don't get the continuous criticism of Geno. He has proven himself at practice and with whatever PT he's had that he can be a player. He's a great teammate and we're darned lucky to have a backup of his caliber. Very few teams in the league have a QB tandem to match ours.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Newton's going to get a lot of interest from a couple teams still desperate for starting QB's.

Eagles
Colts
Texans

Heck, maybe even back to the Panthers.

So I doubt he's going to jump right on a low paying backup job anywhere. He'll wait to see what starting job interest he gets and/or who gets hurt once the season starts.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
If they need somebody to throw toddler-level temper tantrums on the sideline cam is their man. Otherwise best to stick with Geno.

harryjohnson

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dva5ckwu said:
Newton's going to get a lot of interest from a couple teams still desperate for starting QB's.

Eagles
Colts
Texans

So I doubt he's going to jump right on a low paying backup job anywhere. He'll wait to see what starting job interest he gets and/or who gets hurt once the season starts.

The Eagles just traded for Minshew.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
harryjohnson":1udooenq said:
Sgt. Largent":1udooenq said:

Eagles
Colts
Texans

The Eagles just traded for Minshew.

I love me some Mustached Messiah, but Newton would be an upgrade over Minshew to push Hurts. Same QB playing style as well if you're trying to get a good fit for your offensive schemes and playcalling.

Rat

Reaction score
If pressed into action for a few weeks, I'd trust Cam to keep things afloat much more than Geno, who has never been a winner anywhere.

Some of you WAY overstate how much of a "distraction" he would be. He's a good guy, just needs to reign the passion in sometimes.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
seabowl":231zqkej said:
I truly get the dislike for Newton . With this said you are all saying Geno now but with Covid positives on the rise, if forbid Russ goes into quarantine then I'd rather have the MUCH better qb in Cam then Geno. Sorry but Cam being better than Geno is fact.

Cam Newton is unvaccinated. The prospect of him infecting the quarterback room was probably a factor in BB's mind.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":2wvjbrzt said:
If pressed into action for a few weeks, I'd trust Cam to keep things afloat much more than Geno, who has never been a winner anywhere.

Some of you WAY overstate how much of a "distraction" he would be. He's a good guy, just needs to reign the passion in sometimes.

This feels like the same conversations we had about bringing in Kaepernick to backup Russell.

Different type of distraction, but Cam still comes with baggage and would be a distraction, and IMO just like I said about Kaepernick, not worth the distraction for a backup QB.

This is especially true now that he refuses to get vaccinated.

John63

Reaction score
No thank you to Cam, he would be a huge distraction, he still think she can be a starter and would cause that issue, he would wan t to much.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's the biggest self-centered QB in the league. Even worse than Lord Rodgers. Difference is Rodgers is a phenomenal QB, Cam hasn't been good for a long while. Wouldn't want him on the Hawks for a 5 dollar contract.
And no, he is not a good guy. Not football wise. Next

ivotuk

Reaction score
seabowl":161tv9qs said:

Delusional post. :snack:

Physically, his shoulders are shot. Too many big hits, and surgeries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2l7cc37l said:
SantaClaraHawk":2l7cc37l said:
Cam Newton is unvaccinated. The prospect of him infecting the quarterback room was probably a factor in BB's mind.

Can we get serious here?

How is an unvaccinated player who sits next to your starting QB and stands next to him on the practice field for hours and hours a week not something you'd take into consideration?