Rain Sunday

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Does it matter? It used to. I've never been a fan of the rain at home. Never saw it as an advantage. I think it was established that Russ' stats drop dramatically in rain games. But both teams have to play in it. Does this change the trajectory of the game i.e. lower scoring? Thoughts?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
More turnovers and less points. Running game seems like it would be more important if it's raining hard. Advantage Tennessee if that's the case.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Could be a sloppy game if they don't protect the football. Also no missed tackles on Derrick Henry or it could be a long day. Tannehill is a bit underrated.

Balanced attack, we will need. Excited to see what the offense will bring.

Expecting a close game. 12s need to bring it.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Wenhawk":16p0erpk said:
More turnovers and less points. Running game seems like it would be more important if it's raining hard. Advantage Tennessee if that's the case.

The only counter to that would be the 39-30 shoot-out with the Steelers was in the rain.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Let's ask the Vikings if Russ can play in the rain. Yet another for the list of things he clearly can't do. But believe what you want :?
Yeah, he ALWAYS struggles in the rain. Nah, we just ALWAYS hear that he does. Sloppy weather usually equals sloppy play.

sutz

Reaction score
Jerhawk":s761xhfz said:
Wilson has always struggled in the rain.

Flame away
Pretty much all teams "struggle" in the rain. Bad weather affects how teams play. I don't think Russ is especially prone to this any more so than others.

:229031_shrug:

John63

Reaction score

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice Try John. But they played in an enclosed building last week. If you look at the stats, they are his stats from the Indy game. :34853_doh:

:p

John63

Reaction score
ivotuk":2m92iy6m said:
Nice Try John. But they played in an enclosed building last week. If you look at the stats, they are his stats from the Indy game. :34853_doh:

:p

you are correct I miss read that. However, the other link shows clearly all QBs play worse in the rain. the point still stands.

That said it was raining last year in Minny and his Passer rating was over 100. with 3 tds and he was our leasing Rusher as well/

ivotuk

Reaction score
I know I've seen some poor games from him in the rain, at home.

I still remember Jon Gruden getting "aggravated" at Mel Kiper when we drafted Russell, and saying "Russell, you're going to Seattle, so get a bucket of water, dip the football in it, and practice throwing it!"

And I remember thinking "Russell's got HUGE hands and a BIG arm! He wont' have any problem!"

Remember all of those great memes Seahawks fans were posting on here? My favorite was the one with RW's arms lengthened, and his hands expanded! :)

The funniest one was of his future ex-wife with her mouth wide open, and people adding things going in to it, Monty Python style! :mrgreen:

John63

Reaction score
ivotuk":3miyqceg said:
I know I've seen some poor games from him in the rain, at home.

I still remember Jon Gruden getting "aggravated" at Mel Kiper when we drafted Russell, and saying "Russell, you're going to Seattle, so get a bucket of water, dip the football in it, and practice throwing it!"

And I remember thinking "Russell's got HUGE hands and a BIG arm! He wont' have any problem!"

Remember all of those great memes Seahawks fans were posting on here? My favorite was the one with RW's arms lengthened, and his hands expanded! :)

The funniest one was of his future ex-wife with her mouth wide open, and people adding things going in to it, Monty Python style! :mrgreen:

he has had some bad games isn't the rain, as had all Qbs, and he has had some good ones in the rain as had all QBs.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't care what anybody says. I have seen every single game in person with Russ playing in the rain at home and I can tell you right here and right now I feel waaaaaay more comfortable when it's dry versus raining. I'm good with the eye test after all these years.

TreeRon

Reaction score
Aros":2f8p1jcp said:
I don't care what anybody says. I have seen every single game in person with Russ playing in the rain at home and I can tell you right here and right now I feel waaaaaay more comfortable when it's dry versus raining. I'm good with the eye test after all these years.

I'm hinking you'd say the same thing if Brady or Rogers were QB. No doubt it's harder to throw and catch in the rain. Remember though that unlike our sandlot games, the NFL switches out the football regularly.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Surely there are some actual Advanced Stats about QBs in the rain vs not. Over several years. I just wouldn't know where to look. :sherlock:

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Rain will hamper the passing game a little. As mentioned the ball will be replaced dry as needed. There is no tall grass nor mud like the old days. I think the run game will be a majority of schemes on both teams. I hope our Oline is up for the challenge and D will handle Henry.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2kk0cxim said:

Flame away
Many do but Wilson is above average league wide in the rain. Also if you have big hands as does Wilson.....the ball actually becomes grippier in the rain. It's not going to be a torrential downpour anyways but more of a drizzle in football terms. The forecast calls for light rain at kickoff. I like the Hawks big time in this game. The rain will be a non factor IMO

Jville

Reaction score
This is week 9 of unrelenting and unhealthy levels of wild fire smoke in Southern Oregon.

Bring on the Rain. :2thumbs: This weekend would be good.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jerhawk":30q01ri0 said:

Flame away
I agree, and I agree with Aros’s eye test. To me it’s always impacted him worse than most other QBs, maybe because so much of his passing is based on his very excellent touch.

That said, I’m hoping Waldron can give him lots more of those jazzy TE screens and wide open intermediate throws so Russ doesn’t need to rifle it too much and has a margin for error. In the past I felt like he was throwing to very tight windows or deep balls against close coverage. A little space around the WR could be helpful in the rain, as could throwing more to TEs who have coverage mismatches.

chris98251

Reaction score
His ball seems to sail a lot more or it's in the dirt, that sounds like a grip issue, over gripping for the dirt balls, but gripping enough on sails so the ball isn't rotating as his balls normally do if that makes sense.