Wilson on Carrolls comment about wanting him to check down

LTH

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/14 ... 24228?s=20

Russell Wilson was asked about Carroll's statement that he wished Wilson had checked down on the first-down play in OT Sunday. Asked if he agreed with Carroll's assessment Wilson said "I think what I agree with is trying to find a way to win the game.'' ... Wilson noted the pass was just 3-4 inches from being complete and "I'm not gonna change my mindset'' and that he knows how to win games in those situations. ... -Bob Condotta

very interesting... sounds very defensive to me...

LTH

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
LTH":1zg2re29 said:
https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1441125662559924228?s=20

Russell Wilson was asked about Carroll's statement that he wished Wilson had checked down on the first-down play in OT Sunday. Asked if he agreed with Carroll's assessment Wilson said "I think what I agree with is trying to find a way to win the game.'' ... Wilson noted the pass was just 3-4 inches from being complete and "I'm not gonna change my mindset'' and that he knows how to win games in those situations. ... -Bob Condotta

LTH

Mark my words. I've said it a couple times. Russ will not be here next year - there's too much of this stuff.

I don't really like any of it. Gimme the whole team, including "go hawks" Russ from 2013 any day of the week.

Sad, but the end of this era has been playin out since he was in the box with Ciara and Goddell in Feb.

In my opinion. I also think honestly that Pete's lost the team a little bit. DK attitude, Russ attitude, Jamal playing EVERY position on defense at will, and with no accountability, and with kudos from Pete?. Somethin's up.

Surprised Ciara's fancy '3' dress she wore lately wasn't the team colors of one of his preferred alternate teams.

Having said that. Enjoy the season for what it is! Entertainment.

cymatica

Reaction score
He didn't find a way to win. Finding a way would be taking what the defense gives you, not throwing a low percentage pass to a plastered receiver when you need to get out of your own end zone. That was a horrible answer that just makes it look like he can't admit a mistake

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'll have to go back and watch the play - but I'm guessing this is one of those things like going for it on 4th and short.

You're a hero if you nail it, and an idiot if you don't.

Having said that: Calling out the coach/subverting his authority = generally bad and not sustainable.

Then again, who knows? Pete lived for several years with Lynch basically flipping him off every chance he got. I remember some 2014/2015 ish videos during practices with Pete saying stuff out loud by Lynch and others: "You guys don't really listen to me anyways" -

So I guess who knows?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Terrible answer all-around from him. Heroball is what he wants, and he won't win jackshit that way.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Yep and it wasn't just the possession in OT. In the 4th quarter, Everett was open for the first down on 3rd and 3, when Russell decided to throw the jump ball to DK (incomplete).

Yes QBs miss open guys, but this is not just a one-off. It is an ongoing trend. Russ is looking for the splash play. Meanwhile, the TEs and RBs are just an after thought.

Carroll brought in Waldron to help find the sweet spot for which this offense can have maximum production and efficiency. So far Waldron is batting .500 with his new QB.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":mh3v1veu said:
Terrible answer all-around from him. Heroball is what he wants, and he won't win $h!t that way.

Exactly. He's losing sight of Winning, and has his mind stuck on personal accolades, such as the MVP.

I thought his comment "We scored 30 points" was idiotic. The Defense gave you a short field, and on another TD, the Titans forgot Freddie Swain was on the field.

Nope, instead of taking the check downs and giving his punter a shot, he tried to play Heroball and put Special Teams in a bind, which in turn, shortened the field for Tennessee.

Russell needs to lose the EGO. He still finds it necessary to brag every now and then (I'm one of 32 people who get to be an NFL starting Quarterback") and I cringe every time he does so. There's a saying that one keeps hearing from players that have been doing this a long time, "Act like you've been there before."

If you feel the need to brag, that means you're lacking complete self-confidence, and are turning to your EGO to make up for it.

Those who are self-confident don't feel the need to tell anybody anything. They let their actions speak for them.

Mizak

Reaction score
LOL, 63 is not gonna like this thread.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We have a great QB. We have a coach with a history of winning.

Still, Wilson is an offensive weapon being deployed by a defensive-minded coach. And since you go with what you know and where you are comfortable, Carroll will tend to want to lean on his defense more than the alternative.

Many of us wonder just how good Wilson can be in a system that better leverages his strengths and focuses on the offense. (Like if Payton was Wilson's coach).

That is just as fans.

You don't think that someone that lives and breathes football, and immerses themselves in it 24/7 - wouldn't wonder the same thing?

At some point, Wilson is going to want to see what he can do with someone that focuses on his strengths and puts gameplans in place that make him better. The hope is that a new OC scratches that itch. But nobody should be shocked if Wilson wants to find out before his career is over.

The question is, does he do this here or somewhere else? Because he WILL do this.

The key barrier is inertia and uncertainty, but if we hit a losing skid - the other opportunities will become tempting. Eventually, he will want to see what the other side is like. And we will have to give that to him, or watch him do this somewhere else.

It will eventually come to this point with Pete & Wilson. The question is when.

hoxrox

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1oimcs3x said:
Many of us wonder just how good Wilson can be in a system that better leverages his strengths and focuses on the offense. (Like if Payton was Wilson's coach).

I don't know. A lot of people cite Payton as an offensive genius. But he would probably just tell Wilson to hand the ball off to Alvin Kamara, or the take the check down to Darren Sproles.

That offense operated as well as it did because they used the entire field, and ALL their play makers. It didn't rely on Drew Brees to make heroic throws to 1-2 receivers all day.

chris98251

Reaction score
I still say bench him for a half or a quarter next time he pulls that, all hell will break loose, he will demand a trade, but what the hell, he would be hurting the team if he stayed and played how he is playing anyway. If the offense can be run by Goff successfully for the most part in L.A. then we should be able to get a QB that can run it, may not be as dynamic as Wilson, but look what Bridgewater is doing in Denver. Tyrod Taylor may be available also after this year or Watson if he gets his legal issues cleaned up.

Now I know 63cutout hugger won't like this thread.

RiverDog

Reaction score
LTH":1336h53q said:

LTH

I'll have to go back and see/read the entire interview and make sure that it's not being taken out of context, but if it's like what I'm seeing now, it's disgusting. Russell is saying more than just that him and Pete agree with trying to find a way to win, which is a pretty stupid thing to say. Of course, they both want to find a way to win. Who doesn't?

What Russell is saying is that he thinks his method of finding a way to win, ie throwing a 50/50 ball 20 yards downfield to a covered receiver when we're backed up against our own end zone in a sudden death situation, is better than the head coach's suggestion that he should have checked down to an open receiver that would have gotten us out of the shadow of our own goal posts and given our defense a chance should the offense fail..again.

If that's what Russell said and if I'm not taking it out of context, then it's very disappointing to say the least.

Rat

Reaction score
Is Russ incapable of making a candid response? Pete could have talked in cliches too, but didn't. I like the honest analysis; there was some constructive criticism, but nobody was thrown under a bus.

FloridaSeahawk18

Reaction score
It does seem like Russ is getting bigger than the team though. We all thought he was with the Hollywood/Ciara nonsense but as long as it doesn't bleed onto the field most of us can look past it. Now it's "my way or the highway" on the field which is pretty concerning. I still think he might get traded in the offseason especially if Pete calls it quits.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
As many people know I am pretty optimistic about the Hawks but this is NOT a good situation IMO... I'm not putting Blame on anybody although I don't think its Wilsons job to second guess Carroll or the OC. If Pete can't get a handle on this I think a change is appropriate. I cant imagine what it must be like having to manage all of these alpha male personalities...my goodness it must be hard. I think Wilson is getting a little full of himself IMO no player is bigger than the team. I have never been able to watch Wilsons PC's as I always thought he just buttered it up and said what sounded good... Wilson wants Brady like power in the organization but to get that one must make Brady like decisions on and off the field I'm not sure Wilson is at that level yet... Winning fixes all so if they continue to win it will be a non issue but I just don't see this as a positive thing at all...

LTH

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I feel like ya'll are reading into this too much. They're just two guys answering media questions without a lot of time to think.

OP
OP
L

LTH

Reaction score
RiverDog":3jpbmp7w said:
LTH":3jpbmp7w said:

LTH

I'll have to go back and see/read the entire interview and make sure that it's not being taken out of context, but if it's like what I'm seeing now, it's disgusting. Russell is saying more than just that him and Pete agree with trying to find a way to win, which is a pretty stupid thing to say. Of course, they both want to find a way to win. Who doesn't?

What Russell is saying is that he thinks his method of finding a way to win, ie throwing a 50/50 ball 20 yards downfield to a covered receiver when we're backed up against our own end zone in a sudden death situation, is better than the head coach's suggestion that he should have checked down to an open receiver that would have gotten us out of the shadow of our own goal posts and given our defense a chance should the offense fail..again.

If that's what Russell said and if I'm not taking it out of context, then it's very disappointing to say the least.

I think you bring up a good point I based my opinion off of Condotta's tweet because He is a pretty good reporter but I do think your right about checking the context of the comment... Bob also wrote a story on it I saw it but didnt read it...

LTH

AgentDib

Reaction score
I posted the context in the other thread talking about this. The short version is that Russ was asked earlier about the cover 2 scheme, and gave a detailed answer that lines up more with what people want to hear. He mentioned throwing to open spots, running the ball with Chris Carson, and throwing more to tight ends.

This bit is from later in the press conference and was a response to a reporter criticizing one specific play. No mention was made of Pete Carroll or Pete Carroll's comments at all, the reporter just asked him if he should have done that specific pass to Lockett differently. In my view, Russ's answer here is understandably defensive. I'll bet you wouldn't like a reporter second guessing you on live TV either.

hoxrox

Reaction score
AgentDib":uzxbxw0x said:
He mentioned throwing to open spots, running the ball with Chris Carson, and throwing more to tight ends.

He mentioned these things for sure, but actions speak louder than words.

AgentDib

Reaction score
hoxrox":gluwabo9 said:
He mentioned these things for sure, but actions speak louder than words.
Definitely. Saying that right things at a press conference does not mean that everything is fixed and it's completely fair to be skeptical and wait for on field results.

What I disagree with is people taking that one defensive answer completely out of context as we've seen on twitter and in this thread so far.