We are averaging under 23 minutes time of possession?!

Tokadub

Reaction score
That's the worst in the entire league so far...

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

Last season we averaged 29.5 minutes per game...

Why do we go away from the run? We were averaging 5.9 yards per attempt vs the Vikings. Carson was averaging 6.7 per rush but only had 12 carries???

For reference Marshawn Lynch averaged 4.2 for his career and our Super Bowl Season 2013.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LyncMa00.htm

Lynch Averaged 16.5 rushing attempts per game throughout his career.

In 2013 Lynch averaged 19 attempts per game.

Chris Carson is averaging 13.5 rushing attempts so far this season even though he is averaging 4.2 yards per attempt... we also have Alex Collins who is pretty good imo.

Why are we allowing the opposing offense to wear down our already questionable defense with this kind of time of possession? I don't get it...

John63

Reaction score
Tokadub":3augnwht said:

Why do we go away from the run? We were averaging 5.9 yards per attempt vs the Vikings. Carson was averaging 6.7 per rush but only had 12 carries???

For reference Marshawn Lynch averaged 4.2 for his career and our Super Bowl Season 2013.

Chris Carson is averaging 13.5 rushing attempts so far this season even though he is averaging 4.2 yards per attempt... we also have Alex Collins who is pretty good imo.

Why are we allowing the opposing offense to wear down our already questionable defense with this kind of time of possession? I don't get it...

Our pass attempts per game is down as well yo under 30 per game. Despite completing over 70% and over 10 ypa. In fact our overall plays per game is down over 20 per game. With most of that difference being in the 2nd qtr. I think we get a lead and then change our style of play that got us the lead so as not to rixk turn overs and unfortunately we lose any rhythm and can't get it back. And that's on both sides of the ball.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":qdyhqwlw said:
Tokadub":qdyhqwlw said:

Our pass attempts per game is down as well yo under 30 per game. Despite completing over 70% and over 10 ypa. In fact our overall plays per game is down over 20 per game. With most of that difference being in the 2nd qtr. I think we get a lead and then change our style of play that got us the lead so as not to rixk turn overs and unfortunately we lose any rhythm and can't get it back. And that's on both sides of the ball.

We are aggressive on offense and defense to start and then go into some sort of play not to lose and passive mentality at least thats the feeling I get. That mentality can't be turned on and off successfully because not only do you have to turn it back on, you have to take that confidence back from the other team. If your going to be a offensive football team you have to keep going for the throat. Thats the rhythm and mentality you stay on every play. It makes the defense better also since they can play with confidence and aggression and challenge plays and damn the incidental stuff that may get you a penalty sometimes if your offense is rolling. You are still in the head of the other team.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":hi5e2dyw said:
John63":hi5e2dyw said:
Tokadub":hi5e2dyw said:

We are aggressive on offense and defense to start and then go into some sort of play not to lose and passive mentality at least thats the feeling I get. That mentality can't be turned on and off successfully because not only do you have to turn it back on, you have to take that confidence back from the other team. If your going to be a offensive football team you have to keep going for the throat. Thats the rhythm and mentality you stay on every play. It makes the defense better also since they can play with confidence and aggression and challenge plays and damn the incidental stuff that may get you a penalty sometimes if your offense is rolling. You are still in the head of the other team.

I agree 100%

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
We forced one 3 and out (DL pass knockdown). None of Cousins throws were defensed by a DB for the entire game.

Min had 8 possessions, 5 were double digit play drives all of which ended in points.

Two more were 8 play drives, one of which ended in points. The other was a 4th quarter punt while they were killing clock.

None of this points to taking our foot off the gas after we get a lead. We didn't even start the damn car.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Boom or bust offense + bend but don't break defense = dead last in TOP.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
John63":3o1ce5sl said:
I think we get a lead and then change our style of play that got us the lead so as not to rixk turn overs and unfortunately we lose any rhythm and can't get it back. And that's on both sides of the ball.

I 100% agree that so far this season every time we get a lead it looks like Pete Carroll starts going into "we just won the Super Bowl!" mode.

Seriously, every time we do anything good on offense this season Pete Carroll acts like we won the Super Bowl...

He should not give that kind of reaction until we won the game... He's acting like we already did when we aren't even close.

That might be why we suck so bad in the 2nd half if Pete is just talking like it's a done deal (based on how he acts in the 1st half)...

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":pworemuk said:
We forced one 3 and out (DL pass knockdown). None of Cousins throws were defensed by a DB for the entire game.

Min had 8 possessions, 5 were double digit play drives all of which ended in points.

Two more were 8 play drives, one of which ended in points. The other was a 4th quarter punt while they were killing clock.

None of this points to taking our foot off the gas after we get a lead. We didn't even start the damn car.

5 of Minnesota's drives were 10+ play drives???

WOW... That's insane... I don't even know what to say.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
hoxrox":d6wflhfe said:
Boom or bust offense + bend but don't break defense = dead last in TOP.

I don't think the up tempo style offense will work unless our defense is like top 10 minimum... but we are 32nd...

It works in the end of halves... that has always been a strength of Wilson's game. I don't think he's quite the play maker he used to be though in 3rd down situations etc...

Wilson used to be able to convert clutch 3rd or 4th downs at an insane rate earlier in his career just by scrambling and pulling infinite rabbits out of his hat etc... I think he lost a step or 2-3 or 4 or 5... now he needs to play smart football in those situations... he hasn't adapted from what I've seen.

Having Marshawn Lynch really helped too, it seems Wilson and Carson do not have the right kind of chemistry to carry this team with Wilson's diminished athleticism. If they don't become best friends on the field I don't think we'll even make the playoffs (Alex Collins too).

Latest posts