Halftime Adjustments

RiverDog

Reaction score
In our first 3 games, we have outscored our opponents 62-38 in the first half. However, after the intermission, we've been outscored by the tune of 40-13. Even though it's a small sample size, just 3 games, it's a huge margin that sticks out like a sore thumb.

On both sides of the ball, we are failing to make adjustments based on observations made in the first half. These types of adjustments are a big part of game day coaching and quite simply aren't being done.

IMO this falls directly on our coaching staff and specifically on Pete Carroll. We do have a lack of talent in some areas, particularly on defense and especially at cornerback, but they aren't so great as to prevent us from being competitive and allow for players to improve throughout the long, 17 game season. We are being out coached on game day.

Thoughts?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Listen to Carroll's comments after the game.

They don't even jibe with reality.

He sounds lost, repeats phrases that are not even true, and stubbornly sticks to some version of reality that somehow focusing on his plan will drive a positive outcome.

It sounds a LOT like a guy in cognitive decline. All he can do is fall back on what worked in the past because he cannot come up with new ideas, or even adapt to new circumstances/playing styles.

Which is probably a good part of the problem.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
[*]
TwistedHusky":22tlqi3w said:
Listen to Carroll's comments after the game.

They don't even jibe with reality.

He sounds lost, repeats phrases that are not even true, and stubbornly sticks to some version of reality that somehow focusing on his plan will drive a positive outcome.

It sounds a LOT like a guy in cognitive decline. All he can do is fall back on what worked in the past because he cannot come up with new ideas, or even adapt to new circumstances/playing styles.

Which is probably a good part of the problem.

I listened to Pete's post game presser, and I don't get the same impression that you do. He seems like the same old Pete, talking in generalities and clichés. Granted, he's as stubborn as a mule about his confidence that his plan will result in a positive turnaround, but what should have he said, that after 3 games he should forget about what has worked for him in the past and adapt a new philosophy? I don't see how that would be a trait shown exclusively by a person experiencing a significant mental decline.

I've seen a lot of people slip into mental decline, including my mother and my best friend. From my POV, Pete is not experiencing a significant age related problem that would hinder his ability to coach an NFL team. That doesn't mean that I don't think that the game has passed him by or that he shouldn't adapt to his changing environment and try something new, just that it has nothing to do with his age. Stubbornness is a characteristic shared by people of all ages.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Half time adjustments are a myth. Ask any player or coach. There isn't enough time to dramatically change anything at half time. Game plans start out limited by talent, available players that day, best way to handle the other team with what you got that week. Adjustments are made from throughout the game. Sure there can be some changes at half, but I would imagine the bigger ones would be personnel related. The 'scheme' or game plan is a fluid thing from play 1 to the end.

AgentDib

Reaction score
That was one of the things Peyton and Eli talked about in week 1. Halftime is just a very short break to go in, use the facilities, get a drink and then come back out.

There are continuous adjustments made throughout the game as everybody studies their Microsoft Surface Tablets (TM) and so perhaps a better way form of this question is why our offense has seemed to start very efficient and creative and then become much less efficient as the game continues.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
AgentDib":328moyuv said:
That was one of the things Peyton and Eli talked about in week 1. Halftime is just a very short break to go in, use the facilities, get a drink and then come back out.

There are continuous adjustments made throughout the game as everybody studies their Microsoft Surface Tablets (TM) and so perhaps a better way form of this question is why our offense has seemed to start very efficient and creative and then become much less efficient as the game continues.
Once teams see how we want to attack them for a quarter, they force us to do something different. Whether it's with Shanny or now Waldron (too early yet), offensively we haven't shown the ability to start taking what they are offering. You can decide why that is. I have my opinion. There are only 2 common denominators, Russ/Pete. Pete's a defensive coach. The most you're gonna get from a defensive coach in game over the headset is something like we need to get the running game going or we need to get some first downs right here. You're not gonna get detailed play call critics. That's just not something a defensive guy is gonna do IN GAME. He might get more specific with defensive stuff when it comes to Norton. A defensive head coach is gonna put his imprints on the offensive approach during the week when he goes over the game plan with the OC. He's gonna make his observations of the previous week's game known then. Changes from the head coach are gonna show up from game to game not in game to any dramatic level. In game adjustments are gonna be made for good or bad by the OC with play calls and by the QB feedback to the OC on what he sees and adjustments he makes at the LOS. That's it. The Pete isn't micromanaging in game offensive play calling. It just doesn't happen from a defensive coach.

John63

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":1fomciq4 said:
Half time adjustments are a myth. Ask any player or coach. There isn't enough time to dramatically change anything at half time. Game plans start out limited by talent, available players that day, best way to handle the other team with what you got that week. Adjustments are made from throughout the game. Sure there can be some changes at half, but I would imagine the bigger ones would be personnel related. The 'scheme' or game plan is a fluid thing from play 1 to the end.

Really hmm I guess I should yell my college and high school coaches all those changes and adjustments wr made at half time were a myth.

John63

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":1uj004ob said:
AgentDib":1uj004ob said:

Once teams see how we want to attack them for a quarter, they force us to do something different. Whether it's with Shanny or now Waldron (too early yet), offensively we haven't shown the ability to start taking what they are offering. You can decide why that is. I have my opinion. There are only 2 common denominators, Russ/Pete. Pete's a defensive coach. The most you're gonna get from a defensive coach in game over the headset is something like we need to get the running game going or we need to get some first downs right here. You're not gonna get detailed play call critics. That's just not something a defensive guy is gonna do IN GAME. He might get more specific with defensive stuff when it comes to Norton. A defensive head coach is gonna put his imprints on the offensive approach during the week when he goes over the game plan with the OC. He's gonna make his observations of the previous week's game known then. Changes from the head coach are gonna show up from game to game not in game to any dramatic level. In game adjustments are gonna be made for good or bad by the OC with play calls and by the QB feedback to the OC on what he sees and adjustments he makes at the LOS. That's it. The Pete isn't micromanaging in game offensive play calling. It just doesn't happen from a defensive coach.

Proof? Because he had admitted he does.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":no5xi1ds said:
RiverDog":no5xi1ds said:
We are being out coached on game day.

Clearly and it's nothing new, just more dramatic with the current player group.

This. Its been going on for years. Team just doesnt have the talent to overcome it anymore.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
AgentDib":18h0l0qb said:

Understood and agreed. The reason I used halftime is because it represents a clean statistical break. Pick any other point in the game and it skews the data. I'm not the only one that compares two halves or uses the term "halftime adjustments" to describe an ongoing process.

I think you get my point. Whatever you want to call it, we start out strong offensively then as the game progresses, our opponent makes adjustments and we don't, or rather our changes aren't as effective.

Defensively, we don't even start out strong so if we are making adjustments, they aren't working. We're giving up roughly the same number of points in the first half as we are in the 2nd.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Obviously Wilson forgets how to play defense during the intermission.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point. While he needs to play better for a full 4 quarters, he clearly needs to stop giving up so many points on Defense. Thanks Russ.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":1c8orzpz said:
AgentDib":1c8orzpz said:

Understood and agreed. The reason I used halftime is because it represents a clean statistical break. Pick any other point in the game and it skews the data. I'm not the only one that compares two halves or uses the term "halftime adjustments" to describe an ongoing process.

I think you get my point. Whatever you want to call it, we start out strong offensively then as the game progresses, our opponent makes adjustments and we don't, or rather our changes aren't as effective.

Defensively, we don't even start out strong so if we are making adjustments, they aren't working. We're giving up roughly the same number of points in the first half as we are in the 2nd.

Notice how our defense “gives up points” and our offense failed to “take points”? It’s almost like the other team has no say in it.

What if opposing defenses figure out how to stop “giving” our offense so many points after halftime and their offenses figure a way to “take” more from our defense?

xray

Reaction score
Some coaches can make important adjustments before during and after halftime . The Titans and the Vikings defenses both made defensive changes that shut down the Wilson/Waldron offense in the second half . The Hawks defense however were clueless and gassed in the second half .

AubHawk71

Reaction score
'Hey Pete, we lost a wheel, how we gonna win the race with only 3 wheels? Should we put on the spare?'

'No, we'll just hope the other car's engine explodes before the finish line and we'll limp to sweet passive victory. You never heard of the tortoise and the hare?'

Forever.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
AubHawk71":3ay6mrrx said:
'Hey Pete, we lost a wheel, how we gonna win the race with only 3 wheels? Should we put on the spare?'

'No, we'll just hope the other car's engine explodes before the finish line and we'll limp to sweet passive victory. You never heard of the tortoise and the hare?'

Forever.

"Do you need 4 wheels to win the race?"
"NO!"

"Do you need 3 wheels to win the race?"
"NO!"

"Do you need..?"

RCATES

Reaction score
If you have watched this team the last decade you would know "half-time" adjustments is not one of Pete's strong suits. In fact he is downright terrible at it. As long as he remains head coach nothing will change.