Seahawks lead NFL in not disguising their defensive coverage

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
One reason why Seattle has been getting diced up defensively is a refusal to disguise what they’re doing before the snap. According to Pro Football Focus, the Seahawks are staying in the same coverage they show pre-snap on over 92% of their plays, the most in the NFL this season.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... e-carroll/

The other teams obviously know this as they routinely it seems now almost always audible at the line after seeing the defense that Seattle sets up in.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":3b9vqcdu said:
This has been true for Pete’s entire tenure it’s not new

But it only works when you have the players to carry it out. We haven't had that since the LoB phased out. The failure to adapt to the realities of personnel is one of the many factors that have finally turned me to wanting Pete to retire.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
It really can't be overstated that the game has long since passed Petey by. Im completely finished with the futile attempts to analyze things on a micro level in regards to why we're losing in this manner. Too bad we're gonna be rocking back and forth spinning our wheels until the guy decides that he's tired of coaching. It was a fun ride, but we need AAA to come through with the wench and flatbed.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The reason for this is Pete does not believe in adjusting/adapting approaches for the other team.

Consequently, he rarely worries about showing his cards either.

Combine that with Norton being unable to adapt his personnel to the very basic (cannot determine whether the opponent is going to run or pass, so stays in base personnel even at the freaking GL) and it isn't going to be great.

It is so weird that someone with a background in defense has such an inability to appreciate the value of deception and the advantage it provides if you allow a team to know your call before you make it.

But it almost seems like Pete likes to think that he will do whatever he will do and the opponent is supposed to stop him - not the other way around. I gave up trying to understand it.

mistaowen

Reaction score
This is nothing new. Pete's D has always been simple but works great when you've got tremendous athletes who can out-skill the other team. Had LB's who can move like safeties and hit like DL, DB's who have great ball skills and hit like LB's, deep rotation on the DL with guys who win 1 on 1's. Now we have 2 of the worst CB's in the NFL, a SS with tremendous talent that they don't know how to use, an aging above average MLB, Brooks getting pulled for boneheaded mistakes, and a DL that has only shown up in about 2 quarters of the season.

Teams know what defensive alignment we are in and with EASE attack whatever zone is open. CB's keep showing deep zone coverage? RB or TE in the flats/middle. CB's actually up at the line? Post or slant across the middle behind the LB's. This is high school level scheme that is getting eaten alive and will only get worse.

roiyair

Reaction score
Not sure how they calculated this - from what I saw we lead the league in disguising our coverage.

In fact it is so well disguised that even our defensive backfield doesn't know what the coverage is post-snap...

Fade

Reaction score
I am not surprised by this one bit. As I've pointed it out many times over the years as being one of the flaws of the defense, but damn. To be that far away from the 31st ranked team? :shock: Pete's looking outdated AF. He is playing a different game in comparison to the rest of the league.

nutluck

Reaction score
Honestly I find this puzzling, that means it should be a easier defense for players to know their assignments and be in the right place, since there is little shuffling around presnap. but recent comments suggest the players don't, know what's going on.

cymatica

Reaction score
It all makes perfect sense now. I could never understand why they make rookie and backup QBs look like Dan Marino, even when the defense was good.

Just shows how out of touch with reality every coach involved with the defense is when the entire league understands the rule changes dictate this.....except for Seattle.

Latest posts